Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:07   #556
Team-BHP Support

hrag, its easy to make the service light come on. Its not intermittant. Acclerate to 80kmph in 4th, and start coasting, the service light comes on.
Moreover the error code also indicates problem with the Common Rail pressure.
According to them its mostly an injector fault, and they replace injectors and HP lines when they see this error and it goes away.
The next culprit is the fuel pump. This does not look like a bogus electrical problem, that usually manifests itself as other things.
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:14   #557
BANNED

OK, I don't fully understand the technical details behind how your & my engines work but I'm quoting from experience:

Quote:
April 2007: ~ 6500 km. Strange noise from the front when A/C is on. Took it to the TASC and the fan assembly was changed under warranty. Remembered steeroid's post regarding the same and asked the TASC - they said this was a rare issue!

During the above incident, I had noticed the "Check Engine" light come on briefly but didn't see it again for another 1000 km. 1 week later, the light starts glowing intermittently accompanied by the engine turning extremely rough. This behavious stays for about 5 seconds and then its back to silent mode. Another observation is that this happens only in bumper to bumper traffic and not at speeds above 40 kph.

Took it to the TASC where they hooked it up and found an ECU error. They fit in a replacement ECU and the same symptoms ocurred. All the sensors and relays seemed to be fine. The wiring harness was then changed under warranty and I had the truck back in the evening.
Like I said, shot in the dark. The replacement ECU & wiring harness used to experiment were from Concorde's demo vehicle.
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:15   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
hrag, its easy to make the service light come on. Its not intermittant. Acclerate to 80kmph in 4th, and start coasting, the service light comes on.
Moreover the error code also indicates problem with the Common Rail pressure.
According to them its mostly an injector fault, and they replace injectors and HP lines when they see this error and it goes away.
The next culprit is the fuel pump. This does not look like a bogus electrical problem, that usually manifests itself as other things.
my two cents..
Do your error codes read like something "Fuel Pressure too high / too low something" ?

I had this problem on my 3.0l and they replaced fuel filter for me and it worked great thereafter..
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:07   #559
Senior - BHPian

TSK,

From your description of things, the Lucas guys are atleast following a logical process to find the cause.

Lets hope the FP fixes things.

cheers!
Srini
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:27   #560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
OK, I don't fully understand the technical details behind how your & my engines work but I'm quoting from experience:

Like I said, shot in the dark. The replacement ECU & wiring harness used to experiment were from Concorde's demo vehicle.
I think if FP replacement does not work, its ECU and wiring harness change!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
my two cents..
Do your error codes read like something "Fuel Pressure too high / too low something" ?

I had this problem on my 3.0l and they replaced fuel filter for me and it worked great thereafter..
They already checked the fuel filters and changed them. Its the rail pressure sensor error

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
TSK,

From your description of things, the Lucas guys are atleast following a logical process to find the cause.

Lets hope the FP fixes things.

cheers!
Srini
I hope so too!
IIRC, you also had same problem where if you let her coast, service light comes on. Did your issue get fixed?
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:34   #561
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Safari EX 4x4 has no competition. Thats the reason I am in such a mess.
Tanveer, my post was aimed at bj96, and his logic, and not towards you.
And true, the EX 4x4 doesnt have competition.
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:23   #562
Team-BHP Support

The Circus continues

Just spoke to service center.
Lucas engineers have till now changed
1. ECU
2. Injectors
3. Fuel Pump
4. High Pressure lines
5. Diesel filters
Service light still comes on.
hrag, you may be right after all,
Next candidate currently undergoing change is the Wiring Harness and the sensor itself.

I am hoping that they do not give me new parts for those which were not faulty(injectors etc.,). If they replace working parts with new ones, I don't know whether new ones will be a problem. Atleast its confirmed that the old parts were working fine.

There is a good chance that if this does not get sorted out today, I will get my vehicle tomorrow.
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:28   #563
BANNED

Quote:
I will get my vehicle tomorrow.

Wishing you best of luck for getting your Horse on road soon.

More happy if the title changes to "My Horse Flies Again"
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:49   #564
adc
Senior - BHPian

Here I come

It is amazing to see how many people out here and particulary on this thread are just having Multiple Mental Orgasms [MMOs] - about all the Safari 2.2s going bust, stranding, and almost all being lemons - without even owning one. Well one sure thing that is not new and I have been seeing it for all these 3 years - people crap talking and that too without even owning or experiencing.
From these fellas there are even ridiculous bull-dung postings - like you aint a bhpian enough if you dont report some problem in your Safari, yeah some real ego tripping. Too many people out here on this thread with nothing to contribute, posts that are so dead wood, just to throw up some useless off repeated vitriolic bile with no high mile.

Well I dont see the same enthu in them in acknowledging when other Dicor owners post and say that their Safari is just going great and very happy with it or having some wonderful travelling experiences. But then that is too bland out there and it does not just give them that mental kick, right?

Get real, there are and will be plenty of people who have owned and will own a Safari Dicor for significantly long periods of time and experience with no major issues.

I myself have three acquaintances who now have a 2.2 [a fellow who contacted me after seeing vtt-tmt videos on youtube and 1 neighbour and 1 friend] and well those VTTs are all miling fine. As for me will come up my LTOR post real soon, roughed and tested. LTOR is not a track meet, it is a marathon - thats why waited, to put at least 25K+ on.

Whatever let me spit the truth out. Dont generalise. And still if need be, if you standup for what you write - Contact all & conduct a poll to see how many Safari owners are happy with their product and ever ready to back it up real tight. Game enough to do that, or will just continue sissy post fight?

Tsk is having one hell of a ride - definitely it is a sad, sad affair and there's nothing to hide. It is real more bad for someone who loves to go to places - stretch things out and was really hoping to put the horse to paces. He has been doing that before even with the Indica - and we all feverntly hope it all get sorted now somehow someway before he gets a hysteria. Is his confidence shaken? you bet it is - it is badly busted big time and we all know this is [justified].

Tsk has had it more than enough and he just does not care whether any other Safari 2.2 is going great or not and rightly so.

As for others, as Steroid said "I'm sorry, one TSK does not a manufacturer make - Or break"

Yes the truth is that VTT is an exception, and remember again, dont generalise - and even more because MMOs are not that real or vice!

Well thats enough of my rant, sorry if it's been out of line, wrongly sounding high up or mean
Excuse me too if the post been somewhat abrasive & rough, cant help, no vaseline.

PS: May be the language was strong but moderator I wasn't the instigator still if this post gets infracted - well then amit has the same thing up [in fantastically clearer, better, and saner way] for those who are still block headed and distracted. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post1195230
Attached Thumbnails
Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-profilepic10145_1e.jpg  

Last edited by adc : 2nd March 2009 at 15:03.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:44   #565
Team-BHP Support

Just received a call from the service center. There are TML and Lucas engineers sitting there, they have changed ECU, Wiring Harness, Filters, Sensors, Injectors, ECU, HP lines and the service light is still coming on.
right now I can only
I will ask them to try and change EGR Valve as well as the Hose Pipe for Turbo.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:55   #566
Senior - BHPian

I am poor in wording and don't know any technical things

But my feeling: I think Service Light on indicator has some issue or wire in wrong connection/place. Ask them to change those lights set in dashboard itself.

Or is there any short circuit there ? or two wires/cables/lights joined together and showing service light on?

One more guess is may be bad Diesel is present in fuel tank or somewhere in the line or some onbstacle is struck in the vehicle somewhere.

Your Safari problem is not serious one I feel its some silly issue. If you can PM me your vehicle number, name of the owner, Colour of the vehicle and month/year of purchase I can try to do more of astrolological study about your Safari.

Regards,

Ravi.

PS I couldnot wait anymore to put my ideas to get rid of the problems.

Last edited by ravibhat : 2nd March 2009 at 15:58.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:58   #567
Team-BHP Support

OT: Whatever one say by owning one, i can learn from others experience (without owning one) and stay away from Tata's for the time being. Read as: If i spend couple of lakhs i would think 10 times.

Lets admit it, Tata suffers from INCONSISTENT quality of parts, whether you like it or NOT! Look at TSK he even has a fear in mind to accept NEW parts in place of his old parts! I carry the same apprehension and completely sympathize with him.

Lets not even talk about the service here. Only good part, they are doing great deal of replacement without much fuss. This also maybe since TSK has got a good relation with the dealership.

Lets not get into, only package at this cost and all now

enough said!
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:01   #568
Team-BHP Support

The sensor is actually give out an error code. This means that either the rail pressure actually has an issue or sensor is faulty. Since sensor is changed, and so is the wiring harness, this does not seem like a "electrical" issue.
Hence I have asked them to change EGR and Turbo Hose Pipe and see if it goes away.
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:12   #569
BHPian

@Tanveer: Push TML for replacing your Safari with a new one....consistent problem history and TML not able to fix it, makes it a strong case for you....may be you would have already thougt of it.

Good luck!
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:51   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sensor is actually give out an error code. This means that either the rail pressure actually has an issue or sensor is faulty. Since sensor is changed, and so is the wiring harness, this does not seem like a "electrical" issue.
Can it be a misbehaving regulator in the alternator? Could be causing a blip in the bus voltage, which I think is a monitored parameter, or might just be disturbing the ECU power supply.

On a lighter note, by any chance, have you left the Police CD 'The Ghost In The Machine' in your car CD player?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks