Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2009, 17:52   #961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
From the looks of it, small shunt and you will have broken fan and/or ac radiator. Trust me the bar will bent in case of frontal collusion, i thinks its there to give more rigidity to the chassis frame.
I'd agree with that. A hollow tubular member can only offer some transverse rigidity to the frame. If more was expected from it, an I section would have been more appropriate.
Old 28th March 2009, 18:17   #962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You cant possibly save the radiator in case of a frontal collision in any car. The difference is that some car will have a radiator leak even if they hit a dog and some wont.
Recently saw a sideways collision on an Endeavour which resulted in a radiator change. The owner fixed a bullbar onto a similar tubular crossmember (like the pic by JSL), which caused the radiator to bend and leak when the impact occurred sideways on the bullbar. The leak certainly would not have occurred if the retrofitted bullbar's mounting point was not welded on to that portion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
A hollow tubular member can only offer some transverse rigidity to the frame.
Old 29th March 2009, 00:14   #963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
bill for that itself will be around 16000 (I was under insurance), how much it costs for a Safari?
16000 is the radiator cost for safari too
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Whoa there!
Tanveer's Safari has never kissed anyone's or anything's behind!

And what a philosophical statement to make about radiators can leak on you at any time! Man, you scare me!

It certainly is NOT the norm!
Yup its a rarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

Tanveer are you out playing OTR today?
Ja... Was there till 2pm!
Old 29th March 2009, 02:28   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The difference is that some car will have a radiator leak even if they hit a dog and some wont.
Fiesta is one good real example of that... no offence to owners/lovers again.. since it has tons of good things to talk about. I feel that cars built nowadays are more 'touchy', while being significantly refined and mechanically efficient.

In case of my accident, I managed to save around 60% of the front surface area, may be that saved it.
Old 29th March 2009, 06:27   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
... Was there till 2pm!
TSK's Safari gets a taste of OTR @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...cs-report.html
Old 29th March 2009, 07:02   #966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
16000 is the radiator cost for safari
Getting OT .....
No!!! I will have to dig in my old bill but radiator cost on GV is much lower. It was my fault to break it and the A/c one too right when my GV barely had 5k on odo.

Back on thread....
The cross member shown in pic is merely holding two front members of chasis in place and (typically) also supports anti-roll bar on the underside. It is not there to protect the radiator. Radiators go bust even if the running fan blades start touching the aluminum core due to frontal impact.
Old 29th March 2009, 10:30   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel that cars built nowadays are more 'touchy', while being significantly refined and mechanically efficient.
Doubt about Safari's. I had a head on with a Activa. All that broke was bumper and headlights. Dont think anything will surpass the thick iron bar at the front. I would seriously warn people who wants to try a head on with a Safari. The bumper is kind of cheap but the fancy platic grill and stuff are costly for their size IMHO.
Old 29th March 2009, 12:02   #968
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, enough about the truck. What was left of the poor Activa and it's passengers?
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:38   #969
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=sudev;1235452]Getting OT .....
No!!! I will have to dig in my old bill but radiator cost on GV is much lower./quote]

Rechecked. Sorry for my bad. The GV radiator (Japo OE) was 16k also. The A/c radiator unit was 11K.
Old 4th April 2009, 05:32   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fiesta is one good real example of that... no offence to owners/lovers again.. since it has tons of good things to talk about. I feel that cars built nowadays are more 'touchy', while being significantly refined and mechanically efficient.

In case of my accident, I managed to save around 60% of the front surface area, may be that saved it.
The cars built today are supposed to be pedestrian friendly. So it is only natural that the car itself takes most of the impact when hit. So if you are crossing the road, and a car is going to hit you, wouldn't you rather have a Fiesta than an Ambassador?
Old 5th April 2009, 01:22   #971
Team-BHP Support

Went for another OTR today. This time I did not do the full trail. Just parked and went in a jeep.
Did some sandy stuff in a sand filled field, and the RHS fender cladding fell off.
No impact nothing, just vibrations.
The reason?
Instead of the 6-7 plastic locks only 2 were there, rest were missing(I think they fell off in HP)
Checked the LHS fender cladding by hitting fist at various points and atleast 2 locks are missing, so that may also fall off any time.
Luckily it fell of on the sandy field and not while coming, so I could find it, and there are no scratches etc., on the cladding too.
Old 5th April 2009, 18:55   #972
Team-BHP Support

Idle surging

Here is a short video if idle surging.
Ealier it used to happen only on starting on very cold mornings, now it happens on all startups.
Infact a couple of times I noticed this happening when I was waiting at a traffic light with engine completely warm.

Old 5th April 2009, 19:08   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a short video if idle surging.
Ealier it used to happen only on starting on very cold mornings, now it happens on all startups.
Infact a couple of times I noticed this happening when I was waiting at a traffic light with engine completely warm.
Tsk, is that a problem related to the drive by wire system?

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th April 2009 at 09:59. Reason: Please remove utube link, readability and for mobile users
Old 5th April 2009, 19:27   #974
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The volume was very faint but listening to your engine the sound/engine rhythm did not seem to change with the change in the RPM meter. You probably know better since you can hear/feel the engine better. A possibility is a faulty RPM sensor or meter.
Old 5th April 2009, 19:44   #975
Senior - BHPian

There is definitely a surge but there can be many reasons for it, fuel quality, carbon and/or something mechanical.

If you want to take my honest advise, put System D for atleast 2 tankful to rule out the fuel/ carbon, pls try it.

Last edited by dadu : 5th April 2009 at 19:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks