Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 22:24   #1786
Team-BHP Support

re: Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update

If you go for all shocker and suspension bushes change it can cost around 20K.
Old 4th August 2012, 23:34   #1787
Team-BHP Support

256 kms update

Time for another update eh?
Last visit to the service center had me opening up the transfer case, and replacing some critical parts, gearbox parts, and clutch plates etc.,
I paid around 20K, but then, a stitch in time saves 9,

But now July was coming.
There are a lot of important dates in your life. For example, your marriage anniversary. Your b'day, the day you get a first job. The day you graduate.

Safari owners are fortunate. There is one extra day which they have to keep track off. Its called Extended warranty expiry day.

And that day was 25th July.
And the car was far from perfect.

First of all, the brand new clutch had developed a drinking problem. A clutch fluid drinking problem. The pedal was near the bottom, clutch super hard, and it did not feel like a clutch I had spend many thousands on. It was worse than before.

To top it all, the snake who lives in the steering box had gotten more agitated. Earlier he used to hiss only on full lock, now it would hiss all the time, and the steering had become so vague that often I would end up turning for Delhi, but ending up in Faridabad.

The 4x4 system was still making some weird noises.

Lastly, the drivers side power window had started requiring manual power to pull it up.

So, the vehicle spend another two weeks, and I had a new steering piston, new RHS hub, new master and slave cylinder for the clutch. And guess what the speedometer packed up too, so a new speedometer

A now extinct service station called Automobile Sterling had forgotten to put clutch oil at 30,000kms service, hence extended warranty for master and slave cylinder was denied.
Mail to tata had no effect, as it was my fault. After all, as a customer I have to ensure what all has to change(remember that folks).

So after a bill of 3000rs, and no extended warranty, we came home.
And it was a miracle. A miracle because we did not crash. The steering was now vaguer, every pothole caused a "Death wobble", and power window was still jamming.

So today, it was again time to head to service center. Power window was sorted with some WD-40 type of spray, and it will work for the next 3 days. As for the steering many things were tightened, which I suspected would be loose soon.

However, the actual surprise happened, when Star wheels Gurgaon said that alignment cannot be done. Camber is out, and only one shim remains, they cannot remove that.

Back to drawing board.
A tech at Autolinks recommended a third party workshop called Vivek wheel alignment center.

He checked the camber, and suggested sandpapering off a little bit of the upper wishbone.

The tata techs concurred, this is the only solution if you run out of shims. If I left my vehicle at autolinks, I would save some 200-300rs as they would get cheaper rates. However, coming to Gurgaon costs that much in fuel I guess, so I decided to bite the bullet.

So after 4 long hours, everything was fixed.

Cost
Alignment = 250(alignment)+250 camber + 250 camber - 750
Wishbone fit and removal = 500
Wishbone sandpapering thingy = 300
Wheel balancing for 2 wheels = 300
After 150rs discount, I was 1700 poorer.

But atleast now I have a car which goes to noida when steering is turned towards noida.
Lets see how long it lasts.

Lesson has been learnt. For all suspension type of jobs, go to an expert, thats what everybody recommends.

Cost of full suspension overhaul(all dampers change) = 24000 at TASS
Outside - 12000-13000.

I also got to know about an interesting fact. Autolinks guys, rather than replacing parts left right and center, use wishbone sandpapering to adjust camber when you run out of shims. Kudos to them for pointing me in the right direction.

On the negative side, they do not have an alignment machine which can work with allow wheels. I guess, once they make a separate dedicated workshop for Taxis, this workshop will get better equipment.

I also saw a HR numbered dark colored 4x4 there with 21000kms on the odo.

Lastly, you must be wondering, why 256kms update? Well thats what the ODO shows now. just had 80526 to this figure, eh?
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 23:38   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tanveer,

Since you have got a lot of experience in owning the Safari and knowing nits and bits about suspensions too, did you try finding out if better quality Polyurethane bushes are available in market?

Just found parts list while searching few things, might be of some use for someone.
http://translate.google.co.in/transl...ed=0CFcQ7gEwAg

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 4th August 2012 at 23:43.
Old 5th August 2012, 00:02   #1789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Hi Tanveer,

Since you have got a lot of experience in owning the Safari and knowing nits and bits about suspensions too, did you try finding out if better quality Polyurethane bushes are available in market?

Just found parts list while searching few things, might be of some use for someone.
Google Translate
Actually I have been searching for teflon bushes in NCR region but unable to find any. Therefore, I have thought I will stick to simple OEM bushes, and replace them every 20,000kms from an outside garage

I also started a thread, but did not get much response.
If you know where to get them, please let me know
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hem-delhi.html

Somebody offered non auto specific teflon stuff, but I am not too confident of that.
Moreover, it may be difficult to machine teflon to exact company specs(OEM)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th August 2012 at 00:03.
Old 5th August 2012, 00:09   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually I have been searching for teflon bushes in NCR region but unable to find any. Therefore, I have thought I will stick to simple OEM bushes, and replace them every 20,000kms from an outside garage

I also started a thread, but did not get much response.
If you know where to get them, please let me know
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hem-delhi.html

Somebody offered non auto specific teflon stuff, but I am not too confident of that.
Moreover, it may be difficult to machine teflon to exact company specs(OEM)
I can machine any damn material to OEM specs. I have a machine shop with imported Japanese CNC and VMC machines.

But Teflon will be hard and will not give damping effect like oem rubbers.

If you are thinking of any alternate materials let me know.

Edit: Do you have snap of those bushes.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 5th August 2012 at 00:11.
Old 5th August 2012, 00:35   #1791
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I can machine any damn material to OEM specs. I have a machine shop with imported Japanese CNC and VMC machines.

But Teflon will be hard and will not give damping effect like oem rubbers.

If you are thinking of any alternate materials let me know.

Edit: Do you have snap of those bushes.
Nope. I have scoured the markets, and have found only Tata genuine bushes, and local non name brand low quality bushes. I guess rubber is the best material we have.
Vehicles from other companies also use rubber bushes, but they last longer, maybe they are using better quality rubber?
Old 5th August 2012, 11:52   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Vehicles from other companies also use rubber bushes, but they last longer, maybe they are using better quality rubber?
Of course it has everything to do with the type and quality of 'rubber'.

There are many rubber ring & gasket makers who could custom make these bushes with silicone rubber, neoprene or butyl rubber etc...
It's a cost game.
Old 5th August 2012, 14:35   #1793
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Amit,

Sorry to barge into Tanveer's thread but I have an idea here which could help us poor Safari and Scorpio owners who are regularly plagued with this bush issue.

Since you are confident about machining any bush to any size, why don't we, to begin with, procure Toyota bushes, for example and machine them to Safari and Scorpio sizes? It will not be cost effective but if it gives us peaceful ownership, so be it I say. What is your opinion?
Old 5th August 2012, 15:19   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi Amit,

Sorry to barge into Tanveer's thread but I have an idea here which could help us poor Safari and Scorpio owners who are regularly plagued with this bush issue.

Since you are confident about machining any bush to any size, why don't we, to begin with, procure Toyota bushes, for example and machine them to Safari and Scorpio sizes? It will not be cost effective but if it gives us peaceful ownership, so be it I say. What is your opinion?
What material does toyota use? Sorry to let you down but if its rubber then it cannot be machined. Rubber needs moulding.

But dont worry on that too, adjacent to my machine shop there is a rubber die molding shop

Can someone post pics of the bushes?
Old 5th August 2012, 16:06   #1795
BANNED

Quote:
What material does toyota use? Sorry to let you down but if its rubber then it cannot be machined. Rubber needs moulding.

But dont worry on that too, adjacent to my machine shop there is a rubber die molding shop

Can someone post pics of the bushes?
Toyota too uses rubber bushes but of a much superior quality. Well, if you have a die moulding shop next to yours, then it is even better news. We choose the best raw material, get the dies for it (this should be the biggest cost component I believe) and get it moulded.

And yes, the next time I m at Pune, I d really want to meet up with you in person, if your time and schedule permits it of course.
Old 5th August 2012, 16:08   #1796
Senior - BHPian

How about these kind of bushes?
Google Image Result for http://www.carnoisseurdirect.com/ekmps/shops/carnoisseur/images/polybush-polyurethane-bushes-toyota-celica-vvti-140-front-rear-16-piece-kit--24187-p.jpg

Edit : Wow, it seems that we can machine polyurethane

http://www.sdplastics.com/polyuret.html

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 5th August 2012 at 16:11.
Old 5th August 2012, 17:06   #1797
BANNED

Quote:
How about these kind of bushes?
Edit : Wow, it seems that we can machine polyurethane
Yes, they seem perfect, and if they can be machined, nothing like it.

Does the link also have any addresses for their availability/shipping and pricing details?
Old 6th August 2012, 17:47   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Hey Tanveer, just happened to bump onto this thread. Looks like your White elephant's been giving you tough time offlate . With the extended coverage period over now, whats the plan? do you feel confident keeping the car for your kind of trips into the wilderness? I am sure you glad to have a Toyota in your garage now.
Old 6th August 2012, 17:56   #1799
Team-BHP Support

the problematic expensive parts (hubs, transfer case stuff, clutch) are all new new. Suspension I got sorted outside.
So vehicle is pretty fine now. Should last another year(hopefully) without any major issues. Fingers crossed.

I am using Toyota as much as possible. Even for normal highway trips. The safari is now a "tough trip vehicle"
Old 6th August 2012, 22:25   #1800
BHPian

Hi Tanveer,

Is this wishbone part same as what they call Chimta in punjabi and do you see any problem in future because of sand-papering an OEM component like loss of strength etc? Sorry if this comes as a stupid question, I am not very technical minded.

-Ijeet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks