Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2005, 17:38   #1
BHPian

Getz- First 1500 kms

Getz : First 1500 kms

The first 15 days of car saw only 12 kms on odo. Saturday the 15th Jan, decided to take her for some highway cruising, testing and get that "feel"
of her behavior. Very essential for me to connect to the car i drive. Spiritually, you may say.

Preparations : Reading the owners manual thoroughly, and tank up with speed 93. Hyundai recommends variable driving for first 2k with speed not
in excess of 90 km/hr and keep the rpm below 4k mark.

First look at the car, it imposes a smile on your face by its looks. Looks sturdy from the back and gives an overall solid feel.

As soon as you step in to the driver's seat and you are greeted by a
m-a-s-s-i-v-e dashboard, with quality feel to the plastics. I personally think that dashboards should be designed in a sense that you are not able to keep things on to them. But here, you can sleep. The aluminum touch to the dash gives a young and trendy look. My friend who is about 6'1" was quite surprised by the leg and shoulder room. Also the car being taller, gives you a good commanding feel. The visibility is good, however one has to judge for the overall length. Three ppl at the back were also quite comfortable. Though the reclining side seat does add that uncomforted factor for the middle man. Enough boot in case you are not carrying big suitcases to catch flights.

The journey begins : I tanked up with speed 93 with 5 ppl in total and zoomed off.

City driving:
This car is heavier than accent, 50kgs more. The 82.9ps engine does pull the car with acceptable pick up. Drives well though, i felt 8-10 bhp more
would add some salt to it. Power steering felt very easy and the car is pleasure to drive in city traffic. It serves your purpose of a big car w/o
being a 3 box sedan. For the ride quality, it took city pat holes quite well and was gliding. Very comfortable.
The color passion red, did attract many eyes and heads were turning.

On to Highway :
Did not went past 80 km/hr, however felt very stable and glued to the road. The dipper switch did not had that quality feel. My zens is far far
better. Would also check some speed testigs once run-in is done.

Comfort : There is something missing in the driving seat. Could not figure what ?. Though everyone else was very comfortable at the co-driver and
back seats, however i was not. My back started aching during the drive and was really annoyed. Will drive more often to get to the real thing. But
this was my first impression.

Braking : For braking, i think that the car is well equipped. Though the momentum it carries beyond 60-70 km/hr (like a locomotive), would love
to drive, test and compare with ABS version.

F.E. I got around 12.5 kmpl with speed 93 on a 350 km stretch.

Overall: I think, the car has almost everything to offer. Space, looks, comfort....well, still gettin use to it..., safety, solid feel etc. Add that 8-10 bhp more and you would have one more word that would begin to add to the list. Performance.

2nd Drive: 600 kms

Its been almost one month with odo showing 500 odd kms. Well, seems its time again to take her on a trip, and to check that driver's seat comfort
factor.
January 29th, 2005:

My mom asked to visit a sacred place in rajasthan. The Mahenderpur Balaji. I hope ppl in delhi would know where this place is. The estimated
distance around 300kms. Since it was sunday, i had to get back the same day in order to join office on monday.

Right lets get started. The fuel gauge shows half tank . Filled up IOC premium to the brink, costing around Rs 900. The route was via Delhi-Jaipur
highway and need to take a left turn after 100 odd kms on that road. That's the only information i had. Rest was suppose to collect during the
course of journey.

This time i was more aware of the behavior of the car. Brilliant for city driving, very stable and safe for highway cruising. Still did not went past 90
km/hr, but as before rock solid and stable. I was very focus on my back and worried at the same time. It was a long journey and did not want any
pains. Constantly changed the back rest, to straight and leaning backwards. During this , i missed my left turn. On inquiring from ppl, i learnt that i
was around 30 kms ahead. Nevertheless, there is one more turn which takes you through Alwar and then connects on to the same road. This is
same route for sariska wild life sanctuary.

The turn came : Read, Alwar 55 kms. Alright, moving to the right direction was one relief, the other worry factor was the state roads in Rajasthan. I
had driven once my zen 3-4 yrs back and had to overhaul the suspension after return. Ghosh, that kept me thinking.
Barely 400 odd m to that road and i gulped. Horribly unpaved road, totally unshaven with stones. God, am i suppose to drive on this all long. The
driving speed was barely 20-30 km and by this i would only come back on Monday. The car again took unpaved roads well.
Another 2 kms and what i see....... now this puts a smile on my face. A well built cruising road..... though single but spot less. I was amazed at the
sudden transformation of roads. The speedometer read 90km/hr, effortlessly i may add.

You gotto drive onto this road to enjoy. Really good, the aravallis with some green vegetation seems that you are in a valley. Small neat turning
roads, and a tunnel right through the mountain, takes you to the toll gate.
At tight corners, the car held well.

There are small villages on to the state highway. Therefore 3 speed barkers every time. One at the beginning, in the middle and at the end.
Bad part was they were not marked. So testing times for brakes at 90 km/hr. And that responded well. I have mentioned earlier that momentum
with this car at speeds above 60 km kept me thinking about ABS. I would surely drive an ABS and compare the two.
Already 200 odd kms and no sign of back pain. At 296 kms i was at the destination. Around 90 minutes stay and headed back to delhi. This time i
inquired thoroughly about the missed route and decided to take that. Got to take the same road till Alwar by pass and you have a road on to right
which connects you to Daruhera which is about 60 kms from Delhi. Again a single toll road, smooth as silk. I was enjoying the drive, not beyond 90
km/hr though , but was comfortable.

F.E.: 14.4 kmpl. The car traveled 576 kms with consumption of around 40 liters of petrol. The fuel gauge was at "E", i assumed around 5 liters
should still be there in tank.

Driver's Comfort: My back was ok, but had a tiring and "stretched" feel to the body. Never in my zen, which i have driven for nearly 700 kms in a day.
I think higher seating position of getz is affecting my posture for long drives.

Sum up :If you care about ppl seating comfortably with roomy interiors, good ride quality, young imposing looks, safety, decent engine, decent FE,
Hyundai service network and less about having a big boot on a 5 lac tag, look no further. The Getz is for you.

The first service has been done and has not traveled much thereafter. Summer's are almost in and would revert on ac and other aspects accordingly.

Tarun

P.S. No photos yet, still missing with some digi maestro's instruments.
Old 7th March 2005, 17:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice post. How tall are you?
Old 7th March 2005, 18:14   #3
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely put. Awaiting your views about the A/C. Someone on the forum said that its not so good. I'd like to know more.
Old 7th March 2005, 18:45   #4
BHPian

Well Tarun,

That's really a good review of GETZ, I have almost decided to buy one GLS/ABS, I am quite impressed with the FE you have managed to get, do you have any FE figures for the city driving. Well definitely looking forward for your post on the AC, which is the one last factor before I ultimately go for it.
What's this thing about this fat A pillar, Did it bother you while driving, blind spots?

THANKS
Old 7th March 2005, 18:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good review Tarun. BTW, how is the gear shift? Once I sat in a display car and felt the shift to be excellent with short throws.
Old 7th March 2005, 19:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tarun,

A very very good initial review ! great job there and yeah i would like to know about the ac and the braking under duress too.

btw i simply love those ac vents !!

cheers
Old 7th March 2005, 22:47   #7
Team-BHP Support

pictures

Tarun:
could you post some detailed pictures of your car??

ad
Old 8th March 2005, 00:07   #8
BHPian

tarun,

i am sure the back problem is a question of getting the distance and angle of the seat right - a minor adjustment made all the difference to me in my new palio - which i experienced the same discomfort -

though never in my esteem - i am unused to the high driving position.

also, once the foam on the seats gets softer, it will adjust to your back more naturally - also try adjusting the head rest so that the contact point of your head is at around the back centre - the position of the head also has an effect on the spinal column - remember - that's the start of the spinal column, so has to be supported well and at the right angle.

enjoy your new acquisition - i have no doubts that it is a great car...
Old 8th March 2005, 13:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

On introduction of GETZ, no discount was offered. They say that nothing is for free & the car is going to rule the market (marketing stuff). But I do not see more GETZ on to the road & now they have come up with offers (music system free, insurance free) etc

Is it right to get the new buyers, who seedl their confidence on the manufactures, penalized.

The car may have all the features & excellent performance, but, there are options to move for a mid sized car for the same price.

I feel that atleast in India, people fancy for a mid sized /big car, if they get at the same price of a small car leaving aside the features/performance

IS HYUNDAI SUCCESSFUL ON THEIR LAUNCH OF GETZ IN INDIA
Old 8th March 2005, 14:23   #10
Team-BHP Support

10 years ago - pay a premium to be first

Presently - Pay no discount

Future - discount at launch - this is happening in the west know with a few exceptions.

Manufacturers are in the business to make a profit - if the customer will pay the highest price - why not - later one, the customer will raise another demand - like lower price, better value and the manufacturer will respond

The Getz was in a sector with no competition, with the Swift approaching, they are trying to mop up those who are still waiting
Old 8th March 2005, 15:38   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On introduction of GETZ, no discount was offered. They say that nothing is for free & the car is going to rule the market (marketing stuff). But I do not see more GETZ on to the road & now they have come up with offers (music system free, insurance free) etc
Simple supply and demand, sport. And this is not exclusive to the automotive industry.

GTO
Old 10th March 2005, 18:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin
Well Tarun,

do you have any FE figures for the city driving.
What's this thing about this fat A pillar, Did it bother you while driving, blind spots?

THANKS
Irwin,

F.E: I usually get 11.5 km in city driving w/o ac.
A Pillar :Not really, i did not had much problems. Its fat but Just a matter of getting use to it.

Tarun
Old 10th March 2005, 18:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Good review Tarun. BTW, how is the gear shift? Once I sat in a display car and felt the shift to be excellent with short throws.

Yeps ! thx Satish, should have mentioned that.
The gear shift is all butter. Absolute gem. Never expected from Hyundai. They have mentioned transaxle shift in their manual. Dunno what sets them apart ?
Old 10th March 2005, 18:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Tarun,

A very very good initial review ! great job there and yeah i would like to know about the ac and the braking under duress too.

btw i simply love those ac vents !!

cheers

Thanks NC.
Those vents are real cool. Would update on ac and braking/ABS as well.

Tarun
Old 10th March 2005, 18:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream
tarun,

i am sure the back problem is a question of getting the distance and angle of the seat right - a minor adjustment made all the difference to me in my new palio - which i experienced the same discomfort -

though never in my esteem - i am unused to the high driving position.

also, once the foam on the seats gets softer, it will adjust to your back more naturally - also try adjusting the head rest so that the contact point of your head is at around the back centre - the position of the head also has an effect on the spinal column - remember - that's the start of the spinal column, so has to be supported well and at the right angle.

enjoy your new acquisition - i have no doubts that it is a great car...
Thx a lot clever. Would work on your advise. Though i did bought some back pillows to minimize the affect. I still mostly get on my zen. Already over 100k, but has been with me thru thick and thin. Just cannot escape the Zenigma.

aah78: Would post pics as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks