Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 13:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Another Highway ride Bangalore to Hyderabad. My 4th since I bought this car!

27th Sept'08. 11hrs incl. 30min break for breakfast and lunch.

Had to carry food, as there arent any good restaurants on the way.

The landscape of this route is changing by the day, and I'm really sad to see a lot of the green cover go! Price of development i guess.

I've seen some APTDC restaurants coming up on the way, and hopefully some more should start once the 4 laning completes.
Old 13th October 2008, 23:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

19650kms !!

Got back to namma bengaluru, after a good 2 weeks in Hyd.

The odo reads 19650kms after the last Hyd trip. Am dying to cross 20k before Nov-7th, Silverado's 1st anniversary.

Hyd-Bangalore road is getting better day-by day. The stretch from Chikaballapur to Penukonda has improved, and so has the penukonda-ananthapur stretch. Some bad patches though. The diversions have reduced significantly.
Old 19th October 2008, 09:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it really so?

Hey Srini,
Great cruiser you got there and still looking clean and good after 20k Kms

Just one thing I wanted to ask.

Came across this article on Carwale, (http://www.carwale.com/Research/Roadtests/TataSafari2.2VTT/default.aspx) where they have road-tested the 2.2VTT and following are the observations they made.

Quote:
No, I am not kidding. Hundred is fine. 120 is a pain. 140 makes it ache to the unbearable limit and beyond this, the car simply gives up and falls on its knees. Perhaps it would have gone a little further than 152, but we did not try it out.
This really shocked me!!
Though I have never driven a Safari myself but I seriously feel there must be something wrong with the test vehicle. I say so because, I frequently get to drive the Scorpio 2.6 and it just cruises past 140Kmph with no issues whatsoever!!! And that is a 110bhp engine!! Safari is a 140bhp beast!!!
Whatever the logic, I fail to see it. Could you clarify whether it really is so or is it just a one off case??
Old 19th October 2008, 11:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

SMSrini,

Seems like you are the best person to ask about the BNG-HYD road work progress!

DryIce,

The link seems to be dead. Regardless, I believe we have many of our Safari owners who have comfortable cruised at 140. As you said, strong reason to think that the test mule used was not in right condition.
Old 19th October 2008, 13:44   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, sorry for that.
Here is the link again, Tata Safari DiCOR 2.2VTT Road Test - To Di(COR) For? | Complete Road Test - CarWale.com
Old 19th October 2008, 14:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks DryIce; read the report.

Did you notice this - "...The air-con chills effectively but if you happen to be tall, your head will hit the roof mounted vents for the rear passengers..." - what height and at what angel is this person saying this?

But then the final verdict, which say "...It still is capable of making you grin from ear to ear. It still has that presence which makes a lot of heads turn. It still has that pampering ride quality. And above all, it does a brodie, in style! Fun. This Safari can be good fun..." is true.

A good report, it has hit the bad spots and also the good ones.
Old 19th October 2008, 18:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

I've touched 120 and it did not feel out of breath. My avg speeds on highways is not more than 100kph, courtesy my 2 backseat drivers ( wifey & kido ).

the wind noise at 120 is not at a very pleasing level, and urges you to drop speed though! ingenious speed governer - what say ?

On indian highways, how long will you drive at 140 ?
Old 19th October 2008, 19:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
...On indian highways, how long will you drive at 140 ?
You will be lucky if can do atleast 5 minutes. Even that will be draining so much of your concentration, you will drop speed willingly.
Old 19th October 2008, 21:53   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the feedbacks guys, well, one of my relatives is really keen on buying an SUV and he is kind of tilted towards the Scorp. Though nothing against it, I am trying my level best to convince him for the Safari. While looking, he came upon this report and forwarded it to me.

And guess what I did?
I forwarded him to T-BHP

Well, I was talking about the DND, when I mentioned 140. At ghostly hours you can stretch it even more.

Wind factor? Is it so pronounced? I mean even with the music playing?
Old 30th October 2008, 10:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

One week to the 1st anniversary of Silverado. 20,064 kms to the odo.! Yipee.
Old 30th October 2008, 11:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

congrats on hitting the target SMSrini!

So what happened over the Diwali weekend? Any long trip?
Old 30th October 2008, 11:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
congrats on hitting the target SMSrini!

So what happened over the Diwali weekend? Any long trip?
Nope. The ususal Office commute and a few trips to BIAL. I crossed 19650 after the last hyd trip.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

30,000kms Update

With the super-duper Hyderabad highway nearing completion, Silverado had a good run of the new Highway between Kothakota and Hyderabad, touching 140kph, and making it look like a walk in the park!

Silverado crossed 30000 kms this Thursday, 2-Jul'09. Also went for its 30k service.

List of issues:

- 30k service
- Front brakes not effective.
- Front suspension noise.
- Remote fuel flap not working - again.
- All the rattles and creaks incl. tailgate.
- Interiors cleaning / enrichment

30k service incl E-oil castrol GTX standard issue at TML , filter, Fuel Filter change - 5k approx.
Brake pads front replaced : 4400/-
Interiors cleaning / enrichment - 1500/-
Total cost : 10,000+

Front idler arms tightend, all bushes tightened, underbody chassis bolts tightened, Suspension greasing done. rattles gone.

Was offered 2 tickets to go watch a movie in PVR! by concorde!

Front doors have lost some rubber stops on the front door frame ( top ). Need to follow up and get those. Not available with the Workshop. Non-moving spares i believe....

Other than that, the car is performing well. touch wood!

Upgrade planned $$ permitting:

1) Need to do a HU upgrade ( Alpine / Pio ) and a Subwoofer/amp install. Have asked a friend to get 2 Philips PET723 DVD players to fix to the HeadRests.
2) Garmin GPS
3) Exterior Rubbing/ polishing to get rid of some swirl marks, and bumper nicks. Workshop quoted 3500/- for this, which i felt is high.
4) Darker sunfilm for the rear, to aid the DVD Players!

Hopefully another GQ drive to Kakinada coming up, else Chalo Hyderabad!

Should I add OWS or Bardhal to the Engine Oil ? Any tangible benefits ?

and oh! by the way, why is TML so particular about their car wash ? They ask very specifically if you are satisfied with the wash. DUH!

TML, Improve your build quality, spares availability and repair quality. And include "Place seat belts correctly during cleaning" in your wash checklist.

cheers!
Srini
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Should I add OWS or Bardhal to the Engine Oil ? Any tangible benefits ?

and oh! by the way, why is TML so particular about their car wash ? They ask very specifically if you are satisfied with the wash. DUH!
My dealer added 600ml of Bardahl into the engine oil during it's first oil change, and on my consent. If i'm not wrong, it forms a protective film around rolling frictional components (bearings) within the engine, protecting them from early wear mainly during times where your engine might be running low on oil.

The car wash question always bugs. So is the query on security personnel being courteous to you when you got in, hehe.
Off-topic, but our Indica had to be attended for an on-road assistance, and the technician drove the car back to the dealership. When i was asked these 2 questions during their feedback, i told them it's not relevant/applicable to this breakdown service. The TM guy drew his own inference and rated "1" (least) for these 2 parameters. Came to know of this when my dealer called me back for resolution. I was speechless, as i couldn't prove at that point that it was not me who rated them for these 2 questions :(

Last edited by dkamath : 3rd July 2009 at 16:02.
Old 5th August 2009, 11:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

32000 kms update

We did another GQ drive upto Kakinada Jul 30 to Aug1, to attend a marriage.

One day prior to the drive, Silverado got a heart transplant with the ECU update, and Timing belt assy, change, and the AC condenser fuse upgrade. Also got the brakes cleaned and fluids check done, and we were set to go.

The heart surgery transformed the sluggish diesel into a zippy cruiser, and it was a dream to drive on the GQ.

A total distance of around 1700 kms.

The tailgate fix during the 30k service is still holding good, no rattles yet. Usually any long distance drive upsets the tailgate, and it starts its song by the end of the journey!

The paddy fields were a sight to behold!
Safari 2.2 Dicor - "Silverado"  LTR-dscn2677-medium.jpg

Safari 2.2 Dicor - "Silverado"  LTR-dscn2678-medium.jpg

Safari 2.2 Dicor - "Silverado"  LTR-dscn2769-medium.jpg

Safari 2.2 Dicor - "Silverado"  LTR-dscn2771_edited-medium.jpg

The Garmin Nuvii 265, got added in july, and was a good tool to have on the trip, although I only have the basic google maps on it, so no routing info. While driving back, lost our way out of Kakinada, and could quickly trace the route we took, change course and get back ontrack, with an approving nod from my better half, indicating money well spent! <Pat myself on the back>!

Trying to understand the GPS device, and how to create maps.

Two philips DVD tablet DVD players waiting to be installed. Need to find a good fabricator to get some Headrest brackets done.

Last edited by smsrini : 5th August 2009 at 11:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks