Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:03   #106
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
JVH, my car's radiator fan has gone and needs to be replaced, it seems the orginal cost about 6k

IKON fan+ the motor is 4k ? if so can you give me the model number etc?
and is it a direct fit??

thanks
Is the fan completely gone or just the motor? Ask the A.S.S to be very clear on this. Normally, in most of the cases it should be only the motor. Mine was an exception. I hope yours is not too.

Motor will cost 2K and the fan alone I don't know. For me the total cost for everything that you see in the pictures was 4K. Servicing was another 2K. So, if yours requires motor + fan work, it should be well within 3.5k or 4k max provided if you use the Ikon motor. I don't know the part number. But it is speciically the Ikon 1.6 motor not the 1.3 Flair or 1.8D. Yes, the mechanic told me it is more or less an easy job if one knows what's to be done. I think 30-45 mins job.

Do let me know the proceedings. If in doubt, I'll give you the number of my mechanic and you can talk to him.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:44   #107
Senior - BHPian

On what the Tass advisor explained it seems like that the fan has lost its alignment, it wobbles when in motion which is due to the motor.

The fan which was in stock doesnt fir so they have told now they will place the order....
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:20   #108
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On what the Tass advisor explained it seems like that the fan has lost its alignment, it wobbles when in motion which is due to the motor.

The fan which was in stock doesnt fir so they have told now they will place the order....
That means the shaft in the motor has lost its play. My instinct says this has got nothing to do with the fan but I may be wrong.

But please talk to my mechanic Venkatesh. He'll be able to help you out in understanding the problem.

Venkatesh - 9379192193
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:37   #109
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jayanth for sharing the number, spoke to Venkatesh he suggested me to remove the entire radiator and fan setup and send it across to Bangalore but this is a big hassel...

am a bit confused now, not sure if its sensible to get it done by a mech who is not sure and getting it done by a experienced guy is a issue as he is 400kms away:(
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:44   #110
JVH
Senior - BHPian

It really is a dilemma Lohith and I'll leave it enitrely upto you for the decision. But what I can say is Venkatesh is a honest guy and will fix your problem for sure. I have been going to him for a few months now and he has never disappointed. Even Ravi has good experience with him.

Do let us know the proceedings.
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:52   #111
BHPian

I second Jayanth's Opinion. Lohith I understand your situation, but if you are going for a new one, procuring it would be easy(one or two weeks max), Otherwise, it is better send it across to bangalore and he will fix the issue. All the best
Old 26th April 2010, 11:59   #112
Senior - BHPian

Folks have decided to look out for the "ford ikon 1.6" motor in Mangalore, have spoken to a mech here and he sounded confident in doing this job.

Now am on a look out for the motor expecting the mech to come back with the pricing. mean while spoke to Nagaraj(Kormangala) he said he will be able to procure the entire fiat fan setup(orginal) for 4500 from Bangalore.

Will keep you guys posted. thanks for all help people
Old 26th April 2010, 12:04   #113
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Great Lohith. Do update us.

Quote:
Nagaraj(Kormangala)
Who is this gentleman?
Old 26th April 2010, 12:15   #114
Senior - BHPian

JVH, Nagaraj has the workshop at Kormangala which is very close to RAC. infact he used to work at RAC some years back. this guys is very turst worthy and knows his jobwell..both mine and my brothers car is taken care by him.

Nagaraj
Old 30th April 2010, 12:44   #115
Senior - BHPian

Update

FOund a competent mech in Mangalore who was confident of getting the job done.

Luckily no damage to the fan, just the motor is conked. got the for(1.6) motor for 2.5k.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:54   #116
Senior - BHPian

What are the symptoms of the motor and fan conking off (aprt from the needle going above 50% mark)?

great to hear that your problem was solved as well.
Old 30th April 2010, 13:01   #117
Senior - BHPian

The very evident sign is when the fan speed goes high it starts making weird noise, in some time it gets really bad and finally the entire unit will start wobbling as the motor gets the play...

For me the first symptom was that the needle used to hover around half mark which i think was not normal, will get to know once i start using the car.

Thanks to Jayanth's find am sure many will save money, the new unit from Fiat will cost about 8k(1.6) at TASS and you can source the same for about 5k outside. the 1.2 fan set up is around 6k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
What are the symptoms of the motor and fan conking off (aprt from the needle going above 50% mark)?

great to hear that your problem was solved as well.
Old 30th April 2010, 13:47   #118
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Lohith, great to know that it worked out in your case as well. Now we can safely assume and spend on alternatives other than that recommended by T.A.S.S.

Planet, in my case, the shaft and the bearing in the motor had lost the play that means it started to wobble. Depending on the intensity of this wobble it has the likelihood of striking the neighbouring components which happened in my case. This leads to all kinds of metallic noise. Mine was the worst case. Normally, the symptoms should be as Lohith mentioned - high noise and needle hovering around halfway mark.

The needle hovering around halfway mark can also be because of radiator clogging. So, one can first check and clean the radiator with water spray to see if the problem resolves. If not, the fan sure is the culprit.
Old 9th May 2010, 19:15   #119
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Accident on 25th April

Sunday, 25th April, the car met with its first accident. It happened just before the Domblur signal near the water tank. A Ford Figo suddenly braked upon the change of signal and I couldn't control the car enough to avoid a hit.

Damages for the car

- Radiator cut. Has to be replaced
- AC Condensor. Kaput, has to be replaced
- Headlights mis-aligned. Have to be replaced
- Right Fender bent. Body work will do
- A slight scratch on the bonnet. Body work will do
- Front bumper members (Upper member and Lower member) bent. Body work will do
- Will have to check on the recently done fan work.

Damages for the other car, Ford Figo

- Rear boot lock kaput
- Big dent on Bumper
- Small dent on Dicky
- Slight paint peel

This is the first time I've been involved in such an accident in 9 years of my driving. Pulled both the cars near the water tank and discussed the next steps with the other party. We both decided not to register a complaint since I accepted my fault and decided to pay the damages. Paid him 10k upon assessing the damage at Ford showroom, St Marks road. I was pretty sure his would cost less. I told him to call me if there is any further date and gave him my visiting card. I called my mechanic Venkatesh of Gowri Automobiles. He towed the car to his garage and told me visit him ASAP. Visited him after we finished up with the Figo folks. He could approximately state that the damages could vary anywhere between 30-40k.

Here are a few pics after the hit
Attached Thumbnails
Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-img00040201004251349.jpg  

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-img00041201004251349.jpg  

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-img00042201004251349.jpg  

Old 9th May 2010, 19:20   #120
JVH
Senior - BHPian

The Ford Figo's damages turned out to be 7K. Mr. Ram, the owner called me to inform about the work done and invited me to his house today. Had a brief chat with him, apologized once again and collected 3K. En route, also checked my GTX at Venkatesh's place. The Body work is in progress. The only thing I'm worried about the availability of the other parts like radiator, condenser...etc.

Should be able to give an update by next weekend. Here is the WIP
Attached Thumbnails
Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-img00055201005091234.jpg  

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-img00056201005091234.jpg  

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-img00057201005091236.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks