Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2009, 22:55   #91
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear that, GPA. There was nothing you could do.

Hope your radiator did not get damaged. Take Care.
Old 18th July 2009, 23:00   #92
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
That is a bad one, GPA!

Hope there were no other damages to the front, in terms of radiator and such. Dogs hits are famous for causing them!!!

EDIT: Which MASS do you go to?
Suresh,

The damage to my car was only to the bumper. Like I mentioned in my earlier post it shattered to bits in some areas and bent inwards in a few. The apron of the RHS was very slightly dented. The radiator, a/c compressor hoses and other componets were unscathed.

The guy who was working on my car mentioned that he's seen vehicles with extensively damaged front ends as a result of the stray dog hits.

The M.A.S.S was Mandovi Motors, Gorguntepalya (Yeshwantpur)

Cheers,
Pritish

EDIT: Will be heading to METRO tomorrow morning. Will SMS you the costs of the 3M stuff you asked for

Last edited by gpa : 18th July 2009 at 23:03. Reason: Note to HW
Old 18th July 2009, 23:42   #93
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yup, read your response just after I posted mine!

Good to know that the damage was minimal; yes, dog's have a very bad bite!

PS: Will wait for the SMS!
Old 19th July 2009, 00:53   #94
BHPian

Hi gpa, sorry to hear about your accident. Lucky for you that the damage was limited. Curious though - were you wearing your seatbelt?
Old 19th July 2009, 08:43   #95
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensi View Post
Hi gpa, sorry to hear about your accident. Lucky for you that the damage was limited. Curious though - were you wearing your seatbelt?
Thanks Zensi, Yup, I most definitely was wearing mine. I always buckle up before starting the car.
Old 19th July 2009, 17:24   #96
Senior - BHPian

Ohh Gpa, just read about your crash (I was off TBHP last few days). You really tackled the dog efficiently as expected. i10 driver will learn his lessons as well and hopefully wouldnot try to sway out.

Send a pic once the car is back healthy as before.

Abhi
Old 20th July 2009, 14:16   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Thanks Gansan,

The damage was very minor and the the only damage was to the bumper which shattered and broke and got twisted in few areas. It did its job well by absorbing and dispersing the kinetic energy from the collision.

The bumper was replaced.
Glad to know that.

That is the main reason I avoided going in for the body color bumpers for my Alto, though I was sorely tempted. Replacement will be expensive. I am sure the black one costs only a few hundred rupees.
Old 20th July 2009, 16:39   #98
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That is the main reason I avoided going in for the body color bumpers for my Alto, though I was sorely tempted. Replacement will be expensive. I am sure the black one costs only a few hundred rupees.
I was tempted too to go in for the body colored bumpers, but didn't because if one had a prang as was in my case, you'll end up paying for the new bumper as well as the painting.

The replacement MGP bumper cost me Rs. 1556 (inclusive of Rs. 200 labor + taxes) at MASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Ohh Gpa, just read about your crash (I was off TBHP last few days). You really tackled the dog efficiently as expected. i10 driver will learn his lessons as well and hopefully wouldnot try to sway out.

Send a pic once the car is back healthy as before.
Thanks Abhi, I see from your location status that your in SC - South Carolina? The incident has been replaying in my mind over and over since the weekend and I'm still wondering if there was anything that I could have done as I still feel sorry for the driver in the i10!

Will be posting pics sometime tonight once I am back home.

Cheers,
Pritish

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th July 2009 at 16:46. Reason: Please use multiquote option instead of making back to back posts. Thanks
Old 20th July 2009, 16:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

Guys there seems to be some confusion Maruti doesn't sell painted bumpers. So a bumper would always cost the same, its just that you would have to shell out painting charges from your pocket in case the car came with black ones. Thats it.
Old 20th July 2009, 16:47   #100
BHPian

Sad incident, poor dog. You can't separate dogs from Bangalore :( We need to be taught of living/driving with dogs in and around bangalore
Old 20th July 2009, 17:02   #101
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Guys there seems to be some confusion Maruti doesn't sell painted bumpers. So a bumper would always cost the same, its just that you would have to shell out painting charges from your pocket in case the car came with black ones. Thats it.
Technocrat,

At the time of taking delivery, the folks at MUL asked me if I wanted my Alto with body colored bumpers. They said that the stock bumpers will be removed and fitted with painted ones. The cost ~ Rs. 4,000 for both bumpers.

Does MUL paint and sell these bumpers as individual components or does the dealer get it done here by removing the stock bumper and painting that before delivery?

Could throw some light on this?

Thanks,
gpa
Old 20th July 2009, 17:11   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does MUL paint and sell these bumpers as individual components or does the dealer get it done here by removing the stock bumper and painting that before delivery?
Yes thats how it is done, the 4k was essentially painting charges & this price varies from dealer to dealer, I had paid Rs 2500 in 2005 in Pune.

Maruti anyways sells only black bumpers even for the cars which come with body color bumpers.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:08   #103
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Some pics of the damage

Apologies on this rather late posting of the photos. These were captured on my camera phone just as I was about to leave the place. Clicked 3 photos and my phone's battery ran out of juice and so could not get photos of the wrek of the i10!

Pic 1 shows the bumper grinding against the tyre and the other areas shattered in front.

Pic 2 shows the bumper after it was pulled. Also note the missing hub cab and the fluff of the dog's hair lodged between the rim and tyre. I have no idea how it got there. If you look closely, you will be able to see the slight bend in the apron.

Pic 3 shows the front end damage again.

Pic 4 is the one I clicked at MASS with the bumper removed was after using a mobile charger in their customer lounge. Note the bent bracket that connects the apron to the bumper that bore the brunt of the impact.

Will be posting pics of the car after the work was completed soon.

Cheers,
gpa
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi Ownership Review : 7 years and 70,000 Kms-image134.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi Ownership Review : 7 years and 70,000 Kms-image143.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi Ownership Review : 7 years and 70,000 Kms-image144.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi Ownership Review : 7 years and 70,000 Kms-image145.jpg  

Last edited by gpa : 21st July 2009 at 12:14. Reason: More info added
Old 21st July 2009, 15:20   #104
Senior - BHPian

Rs 1556 for one bumper? I heard the black bumper for the Spark costs only half as much!
Old 21st July 2009, 15:54   #105
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Rs 1556 for one bumper? I heard the black bumper for the Spark costs only half as much!
Gansan, Rs. 1556 was the total that included tax as well. Will check the invoice and will give you an update on the cost of the bumper alone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks