Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 22:53   #1
BHPian

Alto 1.1 Vxi - WIP Forever - 52,500km

I hope with this thread i am able to document my experiences with my first car. A secondhand Alto 1.1 Vxi. 2002 model.
Got the car in Feb 2008 when it had clocked 40,xxx km.
Currently the odo reads 52,500km.
On buying the car,the very next day i got the basic servicing done.This included :-
Engine Oil & filter change.
air filter change.
fuel filter change.
Throttle body cleaning.
At that time the car used to jerk a bit in low revs primarily while negotiating traffic.
we found that the TPS was faulty.(Thread is present on TBHP ) Now,Maruti does not sell TPS as a part.You need to buy complete throttle body assembly.So what followed was a month long hunt for the a Throttle Position Sensor. Finally got hold of one for Rs 750.
Jerking problem resolved.

As kms passed, gave car to SaiService(Borivali) to get timing belt changed. Cost of this including labour and some misc items came to 1800.

Somewhere in the meantime yet another service happened. Replaced Sparkplugs and brake pads too and got the injectors cleaned.

The car was running smoothly all this while no problems as such. Even did Mumbai-pune-Mumbai and Mumbai-Mahableshwar-Mumbai trips.
While coming back from one of the pune runs, decided to see how much the car can do,while the top speed attained was quite commendable,what happened next was least expected, the temp shot up!
Pulled over and gave it some time to cool down. Checked fan,was working perfectly sufficient coolant was also present. What could have gone wrong ? A check up once back home revealed a cracked radiator elbow pipe and a FALLEN thermostat valve! Anyways that was replaced ( 250 or so for the valve and 80 bucks for the elbow)

Given the free time i had during diwali, decided on getting some work done on the car, this included changing the driveshafts and getting the front suspension overhauled. Changed lower-arm etc. This cost me 5400 for the driveshafts and 3000 for the suspension. Also changed oil and oil filter yet again.

Now it was time to get new tyres, went in for 155/60 R13 Michelin XM1.
they were installed on rims from i10.(100PCD) spent 12K on tyres and rims.

In the last 15 days or so, had noticed that the car was unable to hold idle sometimes and used to hunt for idle.
Now considering that the car does not have a wild cam or a custom ecu or a turbo install, it was a cause for concern

Saiservice borivali cleaned the throttlebody and the problem seemed to have gone,but came back in next 400kms.
Gave the car back this sunday, they took their time trying to get to the cause,after swapping Idle control valve and throttle body also. They have come to the conclusion its the throttle body, so have paid 50% advance while they order the part from delhi.
Will update on this.

As you might have noticed i have spent a lot more on the car then what would ideally be needed,but my only philosophy is that if i have a vehicle it better run the way it should,otherwise whats the point ?
arpandiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2008, 23:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

The i10 has 4.5B bead and not the standard 4.5J rim. I'm not sure but that could be a problem.
Old 7th March 2009, 13:19   #3
BHPian

My sympathy with you. Is all i can say. I too wanted an alto vxi. good visiblity, economical spares, and a powerful engine. Your review makes me think now.
Old 7th March 2009, 14:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
My sympathy with you. Is all i can say. I too wanted an alto vxi. good visiblity, economical spares, and a powerful engine. Your review makes me think now.

well, usually Alto is considered as a safest buy, but this case might be an exception.

So, dont worry and buy alto.
Old 7th March 2009, 14:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The i10 has 4.5B bead and not the standard 4.5J rim. I'm not sure but that could be a problem.

What does that mean in plain English ? and what could be the problem ?
Old 11th March 2009, 15:44   #6
BHPian

Car has clocked 59,000kms now, got hold of a ceekay-daikin clutch straight from the factory, and a SGP clutch bearing, both installed. While the clutch work was being done also modified the gear shift linkage a bit.
Old 11th June 2009, 19:33   #7

Hi Arpan! I too own an Alto 1.1. I am curious about the clutch, bearing and the gear shift linkage. Could you pl explain in detail?
Old 13th June 2009, 10:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushykutti View Post
Hi Arpan! I too own an Alto 1.1. I am curious about the clutch, bearing and the gear shift linkage. Could you pl explain in detail?
The car's clutch was weak so decided to change in. Got in the stuff through friends. The clutch is smooth now.

Update: Car is undergoing some unplanned work (due to a shunt) and will be back with a color change (to white)
the repair work includes :-
Apron ( LH & RH )
New doors(Front RH, Rear RH)
New FR bumper,Bumper grill
Headlamps
Bonnet
Engine Mounting,
Brake booster kit,
A/C compressor etc.

Here is a pic!
Name:  Alto1.jpg
Views: 11271
Size:  243.1 KB
Old 13th June 2009, 10:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

Are you sure you'll have the same structural rigidity? The precision of fitting the whole apron will be a challenge I think. You may get suspension/alignment issues.

Find out the difference of getting a new shell after selling this.

Usually instead of total loss insurance will agree for new shell. I have seen this at Mitsubishi with many cars totalled but insurance never approved total loss, they approved a new shell with whatever can be salvaged from the old body to be fit on the new shell.
Old 13th June 2009, 11:19   #10
BHPian

In insurance i am getting only RH apron. LH apron(its not damaged in the accident) is out of my pocket (they say it cant be alinged to the new RH apron) I was given an option between half apron and full. I choose the full apron option because even though marginally expensive they are guaranteeing no allingment,suspension issues.
But yes like you said even i think its a bit of a gamble, but the workshop is good, does only accident cases etc, so fingers crossed.
Old 19th June 2009, 17:45   #11
BHPian

New bonnet fitted.
Both side aprons installed. along with the various mounting brackets in front, the cross member etc.
Slowly but surely the work is getting done.

Alto 1.1 Vxi - WIP Forever - 52,500km-19062009002.jpg

Alto 1.1 Vxi - WIP Forever - 52,500km-19062009001.jpg
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:03   #12
BHPian

Today, the engine area got painted. this was done using spray paint, post which tyres will be put and the car taken to another area of the workshop for filler work and then to the paint booth.
the engine has been tested fitted and the mounting with the new apron is fine, new bumpers,headlamps also test fitted and line-level is done

Alto 1.1 Vxi - WIP Forever - 52,500km-02072009003.jpg
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:20   #13
BANNED

We bought a 2001 Alto VX (no i, ie no power steering) for my son in 2003, with barely 12000 on the clock. We sold it in 2007 after having done another (I think) 20,000 or so. It was in Manipal for three out of the four years, and we took it for holiday to Munnar etc. (4 up). It turned out to be an excellent car with very good performance.

In 2007 I had occasion to drive it from Delhi to Kanpur followed by my daughter's Zen (1997 Carb version) from Gwalior to Kanpur a couple of weeks later. Only when we compared the two we found the difference.

The Zen was a far sweeter car. Smooth Engine, better ride, handling wetc. Overall better in every way, even though it had only 50 horses compared to the 60+ of the Alto. Only then did the merits of the All Aluminium 1000 engine vis a vis the 4/3 version of the M800 engine, and the Zen package really dawn on us.

The Alto VX range was a beauty as compared to the 800, and is a rare beast to find. However, it paled when compared with the original Zen as a drivers car.
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:25   #14
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
Today, the engine area got painted. this was done using spray paint, post which tyres will be put and the car taken to another area of the workshop for filler work and then to the paint booth.
the engine has been tested fitted and the mounting with the new apron
A lot of work has been done indeed. If I may ask, why the shift to the white color?

Am keeping a keen eye on this thread to see the final outcome.
Old 2nd July 2009, 17:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Zen was a far sweeter car. Smooth Engine, better ride, handling wetc. Overall better in every way, even though it had only 50 horses compared to the 60+ of the Alto. Only then did the merits of the All Aluminium 1000 engine vis a vis the 4/3 version of the M800 engine, and the Zen package really dawn on us.

The Alto VX range was a beauty as compared to the 800, and is a rare beast to find. However, it paled when compared with the original Zen as a drivers car.
Sorry but I disagree, I agree that the old zen had lower & more driver oriented seating posture but no way was the zen better in performance than the VX.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks