Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2008, 01:05   #1
BHPian

Grey thunder - Fiesta 1.6 SXi ( 18,000 km report)

After 2000km in 2 months, I finally got the time to pen down a few thoughts on my new car purchase.
To start with, how did I narrow down on a Ford Fiesta? It wasn't such a logical,structured, well thought process, much ado though I make it out to be in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...r-range-6.html

It was the best VFM car at Rs.7.9 L onroad : period.

Why did I buy a Fiesta SXi over a Fiesta S? Surely a crime, by t-bhp standards. At the risk of repetition,I didn't find such a big difference between the two - apart from a tweaked suspension which made the ride a tad harsher.
Alrite, alrite - my wife didn't like the Fiesta 1.6 S interiors. I got to choose the car, she got to choose the variant,ok? An acceptable compromise, as far as I was concerned.

How has the journey been so far?
The good
  • The car is a sheer pleasure to drive - in the city and the highway. An upgrade to Michelin PP1 has meant that the car responds even more eagerly. I was surprised to find such a good response starting almost at 1k rpm,near engine idling. After 2k rpm comes the real joy though. Only recently(after the run-in period of 1500 kms), have i tried to push it beyond 3k rpm, but not by much.
  • Lavish space in the front. I am 6 ft 2'' tall and feel comfortable stretching my legs in the driver's seat.
  • A turning radius of 4.9 m is quite adequate and helpful in the narrow bangalore roads.
  • The stock music system is good, by normal stock system standards. An improvement in this facelifted version is that it also plays mp3.
  • The gear shift is quite decent and doesn't require wrists of steel to effect changes in gear.
  • The 'thud'. What was that about 'Build Quality' = 'reliability'? Amen to that..with a 'thud'!
  • Boot open button just below the steering wheel, as well as the boot open button on the remote is good - in these days of terror attacks, I need to open my boot on a daily basis subjecting the car to an inspection. The boot buttons make it easier
The 'not so bad'
  • Metro ford goofed up at the time of delivery. There was a small brown hole in the fabric behind the rear head rest. They changed the fabric completely, so that was ok
  • If the driver's seat is pulled a bit forward, then the head can hit the roof. I am very tall, so I don't drive that much forward, I lean back,so it's ok
  • Elsewhere in this forum, I have argued against neck pillows. I take all those words back. The Fiesta driver and passenger seats need them
  • The rear seating space is not that bad at all. It is not class leading, but it is not 'class limiting' either. One can certainly manage -and with some comfort
The 'not so ugly'
  • An FE hovering between 8.5 and 9.5 in city and around 11 in one highway trip could well be called, err, a bit ugly. Is it because of my driving style? I doubt that. Is it because of the Michelin PP1? Has it got something to do with tyre pressure? Or is just that FE will improve over time? I intend to find out and up the FE to around 10 or 10.5 in city. I can live with that.
So far it has been fun and I will keep updating this thread periodically.
Old 4th December 2008, 02:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

A Pretty good written report.
Waiting for pics . ( PP1 pics too please )
Old 4th December 2008, 10:28   #3
BHPian

Abhinav, thanks.
Pls find some pics enclosed including the PP1
Attached Thumbnails
Grey thunder - Fiesta 1.6 SXi ( 18,000 km report)-picture-008.jpg  

Grey thunder - Fiesta 1.6 SXi ( 18,000 km report)-picture-009.jpg  

Grey thunder - Fiesta 1.6 SXi ( 18,000 km report)-picture-010.jpg  

Grey thunder - Fiesta 1.6 SXi ( 18,000 km report)-picture-011.jpg  

Grey thunder - Fiesta 1.6 SXi ( 18,000 km report)-picture-012.jpg  

Old 4th December 2008, 10:47   #4
BHPian

Those are some really great tires Congrats on the new purchase.
Old 4th December 2008, 11:47   #5
BHPian

Very nice car and color. A very well written report also. FE is a bit of a concern though.
Old 4th December 2008, 14:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Very nice car and color. A very well written report also. FE is a bit of a concern though.
Thanks. I did a refill and checked FE again today. It came to 9.5.

Quote:
Those are some really great tires Congrats on the new purchase.
Thanks. There is a night and day difference between the stock tyre (MRF ZVTS) and PP1. Real fun to twist and turn on highways at decent speeds.
Old 4th December 2008, 22:08   #7
BHPian

Very nice tyres Shridhar, and very nice color as well. 8.5 - 9.5 seems too low buddy.

My 1.6 has been giving me 10.5 repeatedly in Bombay traffic.
I seem it might be because of the tyre upgrade? How is the ride stiff or supple.

And that is a very nice complex you are living in.

Can you plese post some pics of the interiors, I have heard it comes with wooden finish?
Old 5th December 2008, 11:10   #8
BHPian

Well my 1.6S gives me around approximately 10 - 10.5 in city and approx around 12 on highway (both spirited driving and 100% AC).

Could it be the fuel pump that you fill your fuel at ? Maybe try filling fuel at a different refilling station and check again.
Old 5th December 2008, 12:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

7.9 OTR in Bangalore ? How come its expensive in Chennai given the road tax rates.

Congrats on the new car and fab looking shoes
Old 5th December 2008, 14:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
I was surprised to find such a good response starting almost at 1k rpm,near engine idling. After 2k rpm comes the real joy though. Only recently(after the run-in period of 1500 kms), have i tried to push it beyond 3k rpm, but not by much.
Just wait till you actually hit 4K rpm and beyond! It's sheer delight my friend.

Congratulations on the great purchase!
Old 5th December 2008, 14:26   #11

10 KMPL in city is good for the power it has got. i read in news paper today that ford announced discount of 50k on petrol and 90K on diesel for fiesta. not sure about 1.6S. has anyone confirmed it with retailer.
Old 5th December 2008, 16:22   #12
BHPian

Fidaford,Fountainheader,autoenthusiast,zuch,mechah olic - thanks for wishes and dropping in a note
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidaford View Post
Can you plese post some pics of the interiors, I have heard it comes with wooden finish?
Will do that - over the weekend, I will take some interior snaps and upload here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast
Could it be the fuel pump that you fill your fuel at ? Maybe try filling fuel at a different refilling station and check again.
Yeah, it is a point. I will try this out and let you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader
7.9 OTR in Bangalore ? How come its expensive in Chennai given the road tax rates.
I got an excellent corporate discount since this was under company lease scheme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuch
Just wait till you actually hit 4K rpm and beyond! It's sheer delight my friend.
Indeed! I tried that during the test drives..it was truly wow! I plan to rip the car now since run-in period is over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaholic
10 KMPL in city is good for the power it has got.
Yeah, 10 is ok. The problem is I am getting less than 9 sometimes.

Last edited by sridharps : 5th December 2008 at 16:23.
Old 5th December 2008, 19:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey, that is a good-looking car! As suggested by other members, go to a different bunk this time. My FE never fell below 10.5.
Old 8th July 2009, 23:47   #14
BHPian

Hi guys, I had gone to Ooty over the weekend. On the way back, and after non-stop driving for about 4hrs, I stopped in Mysore for some tea. When I tried to start the car again, it didn't start for quite some time. Just as I began to think that the battery was dead or that something else was wrong, it started at about the 15th try. So there was a problem with 'hot start'.

I am wondering whether I should take it to the workshop and get it checked. Meanwhile, any ideas from anyone?
Old 9th July 2009, 11:19   #15
BHPian

Seems like a hot start problem. I sometimes have it in my bike but never in my car (Zen and Fiesta D).

It seems to be caused by fuel fumes, which clog the intake. By trying to start, it gets cleared and finally the engine gets the fuel. Not sure if there is any solution to it. Do check with what the service centre guys have to say. Not sure if you will be able to replicate it in their presence.

Most Viewed