Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 18:59   #61
Senior - BHPian

Hi Amit,

Most of our friends here have reported minor issues which are expected in any vehicle including a Scorpio or a Safari.

I remember reading a novel "Wheels" by Aurther Hailey which said do not buy cars that were built on the weekends since the workers would do a shoddy job as they were in a hurry to finish the targets for the weeks & then go and relax (the novel is set in the 70's when many of the processes still required a lot of human intervention)

So this would remain true to the day for QC, one bad QC manager / bad day would pass a few cars which are not up to the mark, so while most of the owners are happy with the product they get, some do get the bad apple, pure fate as I would call it, right from the heart.

My mHawk VLX was purchased in Sep '08, got the first service done in Dec & what I reproduce below is a laundry list of issues.

I have still not lost heart (it is in my mouth rather), I will see what the Dealership has to say tomorrow.

I have already lodged a complaint with M&M on the issues.

Kms. Run till date: 2555 Km

I have being driving on extremely good roads & in no way the car has been pushed till now still there are so many issues cropping up:

Pls find the details of the issues below:

1. Front right brake making a squealing sound while breaking on low speeds.
2. The entire front of the car squeaks even after a small pot hole / speed breaker.
3. The locking remote refuses to function at time, I have to press it multiple times
to unlock / lock.
4. The car doors do not lock automatically after starting the engine (a basic for
any automatic central locking system)
5. There is no impact sensor with the security system, so the car does not sound
any alarm if somebody is fiddling with it.
6. The 3rd & the 5th gears slip into neutral on their own while driving, I nearly
crashed oday morning when the car suddenly lost power while overtaking.
I have tried driving with my hand on the gear lever & I can actually feel the
movement of the lever when it tries / struggles to come out of the slot.
It This is happening regularly & I have even tested this with the Cruise Control
on, suddenly the gear comes to neutral & the car loses power.
7. There is a lot creaking from the front wheels while turning the steering like
something is broken or struck (tic tic tic kind of noise).
8. Broken Wiper Arm, the quality of the material is again a suspect.

[I have mentioned some of the issues in the Pictures thread but I feel that this is a better place since the Reliability factor is under test]

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Yes either you are lucky or you are very generous, Till now I have read 2 owners on this thread itself who have faced rattling and squeaks also pramod has mentioned clutch / gear issue. of course there are a few people on Safari thread also who never faced any issue , There are even 2 TCIC Safaris which completed 4.5 lakh kilometers with out any issue so is it enough to say Safari in general has no quality issues ? Same principle applies to to any other brand including Scorpio.

Last edited by m_upreti : 9th January 2009 at 19:09.
Old 9th January 2009, 19:57   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi Amit,

Most of our friends here have reported minor issues which are expected in any vehicle including a Scorpio or a Safari.

I remember reading a novel "Wheels" by Aurther Hailey which said do not buy cars that were built on the weekends since the workers would do a shoddy job as they were in a hurry to finish the targets for the weeks & then go and relax (the novel is set in the 70's when many of the processes still required a lot of human intervention)

So this would remain true to the day for QC, one bad QC manager / bad day would pass a few cars which are not up to the mark, so while most of the owners are happy with the product they get, some do get the bad apple, pure fate as I would call it, right from the heart.
very well said mate.

that looks like a lot of issues, my reply in bold:

i have faced the same issue, its as simple as cleaning and re-aligning the brake pads.

2. The entire front of the car squeaks even after a small pot hole / speed breaker.

not faced this issue.

3. The locking remote refuses to function at time, I have to press it multiple times to unlock / lock.

some problem with the remote i guess. contact nippon, the dealer will give you the number.

4. The car doors do not lock automatically after starting the engine (a basic for any automatic central locking system)

aftermarket central locking system does have this feature, but if you notice, rarely any manufacturer provides this facility in their cars. in scorpio, you can get it activated at the dealer. i am thankful its not standard!

5. There is no impact sensor with the security system, so the car does not sound any alarm if somebody is fiddling with it.

there is! again, get it activated at the dealer.

6. The 3rd & the 5th gears slip into neutral on their own while driving, I nearly crashed oday morning when the car suddenly lost power while overtaking. I have tried driving with my hand on the gear lever & I can actually feel the movement of the lever when it tries / struggles to come out of the slot. It This is happening regularly & I have even tested this with the Cruise Control on, suddenly the gear comes to neutral & the car loses power.

this is a serious issue, to be rectified ASAP.

7. There is a lot creaking from the front wheels while turning the steering like something is broken or struck (tic tic tic kind of noise).

this is common with old non-crde scorpios, however not present in my mHawk.

it was hit by a footbal sir!
Old 10th January 2009, 10:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
very well said mate.

that looks like a lot of issues, my reply in bold:

it was hit by a footbal sir!
Hi Raj,

The Car is at the dealers place today, a small test drived proved all the points.

1. They are going to have a look at the front brakes & do the necessary adjustments.

2. The creaking of the front underbody wil be investigated.

3. 4. 5. The dealership is unable to help much on the Security System
issues, have asked them to call the Nippon guys. They are not
even aware of the auto locking & impact sensor functionalities, as
per them both are not available.

6. The Service supervisor admits that there is a gear shifting issue as well
as lot of play in the clutch. They are going to investigate in detail.

7. The front ticking while turning is there and will be checked in detail.

8. Well I finally managed to track down the culprit "Football" when the mother of the owner turned up to apologise, it is a real small size kids basket ball and the owner is a 4 yr old, so I am not sure how a puny ball kicked by a small kid would break off the wiper arm cleanly from the metal, we are talking of a Mahindra here...

Anyway the verdit would be given in a few hours for all the issues, though I have told the dealer to keep the car with him as long as he likes provided all the issues get sorted to satisfaction.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th May 2009 at 20:55. Reason: Hi, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 21st January 2009, 18:33   #64
BHPian

been not able to drive since long because of health, just 200 Km more added in last 20 days, that too 100kms to get the alignment and other problem..
believe to be back full throttle in Feb.

-Pramod
PS: The alignment problem seem to be gone, but with all the adjustment here and there, steering wheel is not getting centered currently.
Old 26th January 2009, 19:27   #65
BHPian

Done a weekend drive to kanha national park, saw 2 tigers in the same trip, total distance covered 545KM, here is the travelog http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ucky-time.html

-Pramod
Old 9th March 2009, 12:11   #66
BHPian

Pramod, did your problem of vibration at higher speeds got resolved finally? And whats the solution, please let us know.

I had a similar problem in my car, when the car reaches at 80 KMPH mark there is a high vibration and I can very well feel a vertical vibration. My car service engineers couldnt find it at first instance (Maruti service, I have a Maruti ZEN 2001 model) but a tyre dealer mentioned the possibility as potential wheel issue.

On careful inspection of all wheels 2 rims have had alignment issues and 1 was above any possible adjustment / alignment. This was corrected in my vehicle with replacing the wheel disc/rhym and I also replaced my just about to wear out tyres in my vehicle. The change in the vibration is amazing and my issue was resolved, I hope you have found the solution already

Regards,
N
Old 9th March 2009, 13:42   #67
BHPian

Yeah, the Vibration problem has been resolved, its was wheel balancing problem. till date done 3K more over the 10K mentioned. Rightnow the vehicle is taking rest as I am not in country and will be back only by mid April. I hear all the good noises about the latest iteration of Scoripio and 4x4.
Going back to my initial question before I got mHawked, is the Scorpio 4x4 readily available? I am seriously thinking of in 4x4 from day one but somehow I was not able to get, but if the latest iteration has 4x4 I may think of getting that!!!

-Pramod
PS: Please someone please let us know detail about the 4x4 availibility, Models and Prices, plus second hand price depretiation due to this new model on previous versions.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:24   #68
BHPian

I had recently (few days back) gone to Sireesh Auto in Bangalore - just a mere walk-in.

I did have a glance and feel about the latest scorpio (micro hybrid variant), though only at a demo vehicle. they did not have a TD vehicle at that time. I had enquired about 4X4, and the answer was YES, but 'Custom Made' and waiting time of approximately 1 month.

I am having the bangalore price for models, as below (On-road price INR):
Scorpio W 2WD LX (2.2 M-HAWK) - 878464
Scorpio W 2WD SLE (2.2 M-HAWK) - 992696
Scorpio VLX (2.2 M-HAWK) - 1104723
Scorpio VLX AT (2.2 M-HAWK) - 1187922
Scorpio VLX BS IV (2.2 M-HAWK) - 1116623
Scorpio MDI TC - 826048

I am not sure about depreciation on used car though, sorry

Cheers
narayanang76
Old 4th April 2009, 01:48   #69
BHPian

Thanks, in case you happen visit the showroom again, get the 4X4 price too.
-Pramod
Old 13th May 2009, 22:30   #70
BHPian

Time for third free service, lots of vibration issue needs to be resolved doors are rattling and front right door is rubbing with body and have already scrapped the paint, the captain seats are annoyingly noisy when driven alone. Apart from this the vehicle seems fine, AC is quite affective at this time in nagpur when day temp is hovering 46. Will update on Monday with complete details, there is some big plan of ride coming soon need the vehicle in top condition.
-Pramod
Old 14th May 2009, 10:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Time for third free service, lots of vibration issue needs to be resolved doors are rattling and front right door is rubbing with body and have already scrapped the paint, the captain seats are annoyingly noisy when driven alone. Apart from this the vehicle seems fine, AC is quite affective at this time in nagpur when day temp is hovering 46. Will update on Monday with complete details, there is some big plan of ride coming soon need the vehicle in top condition.
-Pramod
Rattling issues ? Heard from few other Scorp owners that Scorpio doe snot rattle at all but may be it depends on the roads one drives on.
For rattling noise reduction DIY is best bet ( use Insulation tape and foam tape)
Old 14th May 2009, 11:35   #72
BHPian

The captain seating arrangement are foldable and that why it may have gotten into this mold, I have been to driven on lots of broken and no road, that may be the cause, but there has to be some solution to it, it not always going to be driven fully loaded!!

Anyway have booked the servicing date for Saturday 16th May and intimated them in advance of the problems that I am facing. how to be get the vehicle in "as new" condition.
-Pramod
Old 14th May 2009, 12:54   #73
BHPian

Hi pramods, do you have middle row captain seats in your vehicle? i have looking for some info on the same but very little of it is available. How are they compared to the bench seats in terms of comfort and leg space? And what about the leg space in the third row? can a 5th person travel in decent comfirt in the third row? And lastly, do you have some pics of these seats?
Old 14th May 2009, 13:15   #74
BHPian

The middle row captain seat are very similar to the front row seat, they have arm rest and really comfortable, they can be adjusted and moved front or back a little, then can be folded to make more room. I don't have ready images but believe me its a real good option to have them (apart from the rattling sound). it even allow a good leg room in the last row for a person, as there is nothing in between the 2 captain seat.

may be I will have some snap later for you if required.

-Pramod
Old 14th May 2009, 16:15   #75
Senior - BHPian

Even I feel that the middle row captain seats are a real good option, but the family rejected it (I had originally booked a White Vlx with captain seats) saying it made the car look like a cab. So I ended up with a Rocky Beige Vlx (again White Scorpios are a trade mark of politicos here) with regular front facing seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
The middle row captain seat are very similar to the front row seat, they have arm rest and really comfortable, they can be adjusted and moved front or back a little, then can be folded to make more room. I don't have ready images but believe me its a real good option to have them (apart from the rattling sound). it even allow a good leg room in the last row for a person, as there is nothing in between the 2 captain seat.

may be I will have some snap later for you if required.

-Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks