Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2012, 15:13   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Finding Easter-eggs after a few years of usage..eh?
There is supposedly a rain sensor on the dashboard. The black conical stuff at the centre in close proximity to the windshield. I'm not sure whether it is a dummy or a real sensor or something else.
Yes, good to discover new stuff about the old car...he he he.

I will take a closer look at the black conical stuff.

But if the wipers are rain sensitive, they should not swing into action at all when there is no rain (and the stalk is in first position). I will check that as well.

It's fun.
Old 26th July 2012, 01:29   #212
BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Last night, I got into the Tucson and inserted the key and the instrument cluster lights came on (even without turning the key!) and I realized I had left the parking lights ON when I parked in the morning.

Still, Tucson started without a fuss and so then I played around with the light stalk and key and found that if I switch off the engine, take the key out and open the driver side door, the lights automatically switch off even if I leave the stalk in ON position!

Good car.
Hyundai pioneered these engineering aspects much before other cars including BMW, i had it in my Elantra of 2005 model, also if the key is left in the ignition after switching off you just cannot lock the vehicle through the central locking, you need to remove the key from the ignition for that to happen.
rajeshchand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 14:57   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, good to discover new stuff about the old car...he he he.

I will take a closer look at the black conical stuff.

But if the wipers are rain sensitive, they should not swing into action at all when there is no rain (and the stalk is in first position). I will check that as well.

It's fun.
mm.... Though Digital Vampire has been claiming this wiper changing speed, i never checked it though.
Looked around in the Tucson forum and found that the wiper is speed sensitive indeed. According to the US spec user manual, the wiper changes speed only if the wiper stalk is in INT position (where you can adjust the timing from 1 to 18 second intervals).
But i don't believe that the wipers are rain sensitive. I'm convinced that the black conical thingy is a plastic dummy.
Old 31st July 2012, 17:09   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
the wiper changes speed only if the wiper stalk is in INT position (where you can adjust the timing from 1 to 18 second intervals).
But i don't believe that the wipers are rain sensitive. I'm convinced that the black conical thingy is a plastic dummy.

Yes, actually I checked that - while in INT, I tried different positions and the wiper speed DOES really change but it changes irrespective of rains. e.g. even in the covered parking with no rain droplets whatso ever, the wipers do not fully stop. So I think they are speed sensitive rather than rain sensitive. But even speed sensitive is quite effective and useful...I have been enjoying it since I found about it.
Old 1st August 2012, 09:52   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, actually I checked that - while in INT, I tried different positions and the wiper speed DOES really change but it changes irrespective of rains. e.g. even in the covered parking with no rain droplets whatso ever, the wipers do not fully stop. So I think they are speed sensitive rather than rain sensitive. But even speed sensitive is quite effective and useful...I have been enjoying it since I found about it.
Let me clarify my earlier post. The Wiper speed can be varied if the stalk position is set at INT and then we adjust another band for different speeds. This is normal.

What me & @digital vampire are trying to check is the following;
If we set the wiper speed to say one swipe every 10 seconds and then drive the car faster or slower, does this wiper speed change (even though its set at 10 second interval).

In this setting, IMO the wiper speed must increase for higher speeds (say one swipe every 5 seconds) and then come back to the one swipe every 10 seconds interval as the vehicle slows down.

Hope I will be able to check this sooner as it is predicted to rain this weekend :-)

Last edited by K a s h : 1st August 2012 at 10:01.
Old 1st August 2012, 11:16   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
What me & @digital vampire are trying to check is the following;
If we set the wiper speed to say one swipe every 10 seconds and then drive the car faster or slower, does this wiper speed change (even though its set at 10 second interval).

In this setting, IMO the wiper speed must increase for higher speeds (say one swipe every 5 seconds) and then come back to the one swipe every 10 seconds interval as the vehicle slows down.
Yes, on any given setting within the INT position, the wiper speed changes with vehicle speed. But in any of the INT settings, wipers do not stop completely even if rains stop.
Old 20th August 2012, 19:54   #217

Hi anandpadhye,

Recently got the clutch serviced that ran up a bill of 23,500.. And the clutch seems to be less resistive now. Phew!

However, since the Tuc came back, she has been making a funny whooshing sound everytime the turbo is activated and it stays as long the turbo is on.

The sound is between a proper whistle and the sound produced making an O with the mouth and breathing heavy... A medium whoosh is heard even with the windows rolled up.

This has not made a difference in the performance, but the sound is exaggerated enough to make me feel like Im in one the fast n furious movies everytime I accelerate.

What fails me is how during a clutch overhaul would the turbo assembly be affected.

Any idea what the culprit could be?? My best guess is a hose has lost its proper fitting somewhere in the assembly and is leaking or drawing excess air. Unfortunately I have only myself to blame as unlike always due to time constraints I had to send my father's driver to test and pick her from the service centre.
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:33   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.666 View Post
Hi anandpadhye,

Recently got the clutch serviced that ran up a bill of 23,500.. And the clutch seems to be less resistive now. Phew!

However, since the Tuc came back, she has been making a funny whooshing sound everytime the turbo is activated and it stays as long the turbo is on.

The sound is between a proper whistle and the sound produced making an O with the mouth and breathing heavy... A medium whoosh is heard even with the windows rolled up.
Hi, extremely sorry for a delayed reply, I was out of station.
Yes, if it's kind of a wind noise and not a mechanical rattle, I would also guess it to be some loose fit hose, etc. For the clutch overhaul, they may have to dismantle some of the hoses to access the gearbox so the possibility can not be ruled out. I would say please ask them to check it and they should be able to detect it.

BTW, fantastic news that clutch overhaul solved the issue of hard clutch. Awesome. I will also get it done then. Can you post the details of what all parts were replaced? Did they replace the master/slave cylinders? Did they fully drain the clutch oil?

Awaiting the details,
Cheers!
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:23   #219

Used Tucson Vs New Duster

This is my first post to TBHP and since there was no thread on the above comparison so Mods please start a new one or let this be here if its fine with you.

I started following the Duster on TBHP and was almost positive about buying the vehicle until recently when I came on to this thread and I have been reading quite a lot about Tucson on this great thread started by Anand and the post by Digital Vampire and Rippergeo have been equally amazing and have made me admire the Tuc.

Now the problem is that I am very confused between buying a new duster or a used tucson. What I am looking for is a crossover which is
- driveable is the city (where I would drive 75% of the time)
- is not very big in size
- can handle bad roads
- and I dont need 7 seats
- is under 10 lakhs
- and I am not thinking sedans
- I would drive around 12K in a year

I was planning on going the bare bones RXE diesel which would have cost me around 9L OTR in gurgaon but not having ABS was a peev point. If i go with the RXL (O) it would be 11L OTR.

Now comes the Tuc in picture .

I have been looking at some deals for used Tucs which have done around 60K fully loaded coming for about 6.5-7L depending on vehicle condition and mile.

So Comparing the Finances
I would roughly save about 2-2.5L if I were to compare it with new RXE and more around 4 if I compare with an RXL(O) .
Assuming a median benefit of about 3L on buying the Tuc ( and also keeping in mind that a loan differential of 3L for 5 years at 11.5% would cost me about 92K in interest which lets say I would spend on the upkeep of the used vehicle) would you suggest me in going for used Tuc
- which would be fully loaded with safety features ,
- would have better interiors , handle almost similar to the Duster,
- might be more expensive to maintain,
- will have a poor mileage compared to duster

Or should I spend in the extra money and go for the Duster..
Please help me

Thanks
Vivek
Old 3rd September 2012, 14:57   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekpandey99
Used Tucson Vs New Duster

This is my first post to TBHP and since there was no thread on the above comparison so Mods please start a new one or let this be here if its fine with you.

I started following the Duster on TBHP and was almost positive about buying the vehicle until recently when I came on to this thread and I have been reading quite a lot about Tucson on this great thread started by Anand and the post by Digital Vampire and Rippergeo have been equally amazing and have made me admire the Tuc.

Now the problem is that I am very confused between buying a new duster or a used tucson. What I am looking for is a crossover which is
- driveable is the city (where I would drive 75% of the time)
- is not very big in size
- can handle bad roads
- and I dont need 7 seats
- is under 10 lakhs
- and I am not thinking sedans
- I would drive around 12K in a year

I was planning on going the bare bones RXE diesel which would have cost me around 9L OTR in gurgaon but not having ABS was a peev point. If i go with the RXL (O) it would be 11L OTR.

Now comes the Tuc in picture .

I have been looking at some deals for used Tucs which have done around 60K fully loaded coming for about 6.5-7L depending on vehicle condition and mile.

So Comparing the Finances
I would roughly save about 2-2.5L if I were to compare it with new RXE and more around 4 if I compare with an RXL(O) .
Assuming a median benefit of about 3L on buying the Tuc ( and also keeping in mind that a loan differential of 3L for 5 years at 11.5% would cost me about 92K in interest which lets say I would spend on the upkeep of the used vehicle) would you suggest me in going for used Tuc
- which would be fully loaded with safety features ,
- would have better interiors , handle almost similar to the Duster,
- might be more expensive to maintain,
- will have a poor mileage compared to duster

Please help me

Thanks
Vivek
Spend the money and go for the duster or wait for a while for the ecosport. A tuscon in good condition will be hard to find and if you calculate the interest on old and new cars the difference will not be much. Unless the tuscon has done few kms, well kept with a known past owner and comes at a steal.
Reality is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:00   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekpandey99 View Post
Hi Vivek,
Sorry to have caused a dillema.

In my case, a new (and good) SUV was out of budget (new Tucson was being sold at around 19L and the new Grand Vitara was retailing at around 16L). i did not want to buy the Safari or the Scorpio as they were nowhere near the Tucson or the GV in terms of driving dynamics and stability.

Yes, from my experience, buying a good used car certainly saves money (offset a bit by higher interest rate - to an extent).

But the key is to find one (to have the patience and enthu).

Here what I would say:

Advantages of a used Tucson over a new Duster:
- Saving (base cost, insurance premium, etc)
- 4WD (not sure how much this matters - depends on usage. BTW, Tucson does not have low range)
- Reliability (as you can read thoughout this thread, but again you should find a well maintained piece)
- Service and spares (Hyundai logistics is very good. Of course, Tucson did not sell in huge numbers so availability may be an issue few years down the line)

Advantages of new Duster:
- New car feeling
- Warranty and peace of mind
- Better resale

Note:
I have not driven the Duster yet, so no idea about Duster's driving dynamics, handling, clutch, etc. If you decide on Duster, don't skip ABS and the 6'th gear. I know from experience that ABS helps and I miss 6'th gear on the Tuc.

If you are buying the Tucson, do a through check, have a long TD, try out the clutch in bumper to bumper traffic to judge how well it's maintained.

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:13   #222

Quote:
Hi Vivek,
Sorry to have caused a dillema.

Yes, from my experience, buying a good used car certainly saves money (offset a bit by higher interest rate - to an extent).

But the key is to find one (to have the patience and enthu).

Here what I would say:

Advantages of a used Tucson over a new Duster:
- Saving (base cost, insurance premium, etc)
- 4WD (not sure how much this matters - depends on usage. BTW, Tucson does not have low range)
- Reliability (as you can read thoughout this thread, but again you should find a well maintained piece)
- Service and spares (Hyundai logistics is very good. Of course, Tucson did not sell in huge numbers so availability may be an issue few years down the line)

Advantages of new Duster:
- New car feeling
- Warranty and peace of mind
- Better resale

Note:
I have not driven the Duster yet, so no idea about Duster's driving dynamics, handling, clutch, etc. If you decide on Duster, don't skip ABS and the 6'th gear. I know from experience that ABS helps and I miss 6'th gear on the Tuc.

If you are buying the Tucson, do a through check, have a long TD, try out the clutch in bumper to bumper traffic to judge how well it's maintained.

Cheers!
Anand I would say its a good dilemma, although it my delay the purchase but I would eventually make an informed decision.
4WD would matter but only a little bit.
Agree with the patience part so am still hunting for used models in the NCR region. And if I go with the six gear and ABS duster the difference would be around 5L which makes me lean in favor of the Tuc.

Yes I would TD the used one thoroughly and would go through the various checks which have been indicated in this thread.

Will keep posted on my progress and if fellow BHPians in NCR know of pre worshiped Tuc just holler.

Thanks again for the response

-vivek
Old 17th September 2012, 16:08   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

CRDi Injector Cleaning - Rs. 12,000?

I gave Tucson for a regular service and asked them to also clean the injectors. They said it's very expensive (around Rs. 12000) as the Tucson injectors are big and they have to send it out to BOSCH or somebody to get them cleaned using some sophisticated machine!

Is this true?
Anyone here has gotten the CRDi injectors cleaned and how much does it cost?
Old 17th September 2012, 16:13   #224
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye
I gave Tucson for a regular service and asked them to also clean the injectors. They said it's very expensive (around Rs. 12000) as the Tucson injectors are big and they have to send it out to BOSCH or somebody to get them cleaned using some sophisticated machine!

Is this true?
Anyone here has gotten the CRDi injectors cleaned and how much does it cost?
This cost as shared by you, seems to me, to be rather excessive.
I am not sure about the Tucson but I have had my Scorpio's Fuel Injectors cleaned thoroughly, once at its 30k service and again at its 50k service before I sold it on.
The total service bill for the 50k service including all the consumable and fiddlies and extras was not 12k so how can it possibly cost 12k for a Tucson to get its Fuel Injectors cleaned?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 16:29   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This cost as shared by you, seems to me, to be rather excessive.
Yes, I also think so.
I am going there right now and will confirm what they mean and why.

BTW, for Scorpio the service center cleaned the injectors in-house or sent them to some third party? And did you feel any noticeable difference after the cleaning?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks