Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 18:19   #226
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

All injector cleaning type stuff in the Scorpio is done in house as far as I know.
And yes, certainly there was a marked difference in performance.
It felt as if a lot of sludge and muck had been taken off and the car's performance was certainly more "spirited" than before.

Here the quality of fuel is the real culprit in terms of the presence of various types of "foreign" bodies in the Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Yes, I also think so.
I am going there right now and will confirm what they mean and why.

BTW, for Scorpio the service center cleaned the injectors in-house or sent them to some third party? And did you feel any noticeable difference after the cleaning?
Old 18th September 2012, 00:51   #227
BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

IIRC ultrasonic cleaning of Tucson injectors at BOSCH Service Center costed me Rs.5200 around an year back. The cost supposedly included re-calibration of the injectors but I'm not sure what exactly was done towards re-calibration.

If you take out the injectors, make sure you replace the copper sealing washers at the tip of the injector and clean the valve seats to prevent any occurrence of injector blow-by.

My suggestion - Leave it AS-IS if you don't have any issues. Lots of screwups can happen if not done right by knowledgeable folks.
Old 18th September 2012, 06:08   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
My suggestion - Leave it AS-IS if you don't have any issues. Lots of screwups can happen if not done right by knowledgeable folks.
Exactly what the SA told me. He actually pleaded me not to touch them if nothing is wrong.

So I will leave it for now.

BTW, I got all 4 brake pads and both front brake disks changed. The SA was very excited - he showed me the brake discs saying those are new type that came first time from Hyundai - they seem to be coated. The brakes have improved so much, they almost feel as good and crisp as the Laura!!!

And this time I pleaded him to drain the clutch/brake fluid from the brakes or if they do not want to do that, just change the master and slave clutch cylinders which will be cheaper than the left knee transplant that I will otherwise have to undergo in a few years...he he he. He was convinced and they drained from the brakes. They used the ECU scanner to activate the ABS motors to bleed the ABS plumbing as well. He explained why the scanner is required - by simply pumping the brake pedal while bleeding, only the regular brake lines are bleeded, it's impossible to activate and bleed ABS piping, so the scanner triggers the ABS (not sure if they have a special command code or whether they simulate lockiing of wheels to activate ABS, I will ask him the details). So now I understood a bit of why everyone was talking about "scanner lagana padega, sir, it's tedious". It really was tedious - took them more than 2 hours and needed 2 test drives and 3 rounds of bleeding. But job seems to be well done. I am driving to Ratnagiri for Ganapati today so the 1000 odd KM trip will be a good long test of whether the hard clutch is gone for good or not.

I took some snaps while all this was happening. Coming up...

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 18th September 2012 at 06:12.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 06:58   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pictures of the dics and hubs...

Here are some pictures of the brake discs, the bleeding points and the wheel hubs...
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-awaiting_the_doctor.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-front_brake_bleeding_point.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-front_wheel_hub_and_disc.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-rear_wheel_hubs.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-rear_brake_line_bleed_point.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-front_lower_arm_bush.jpg  

anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 07:45   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Service Bill - Brake Pads and Discs

Here is the bill...
Seems the discs are ordered individually but pads are ordered in pairs???
Prices seem OK for a CBU(?)
Of course, it's a big dent on my pocket and I would love to see lower prices, especially as these are regular consumable items

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-service_bill.jpg  

Last edited by anandpadhye : 18th September 2012 at 07:48.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 23:03   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow!!! Cluch is as light as a petrol car

I drove around 400 km after the brake oil bleeding and the clutch has become very very light. I am delighed. Draining of the entire brake fluid (incluing ABS plumbing) should be done periodically and will save a lot of trouble and unwarranted clutch overhauls I think.

I am enjoying the Tuc like never before.

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 11:42   #232
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anand,

Do you have any idea of the labour rate just for brake-bleeding with the Laptop attached etc.?

I have an Elantra CRDI and it contains separate fluids for brake and clutch. I mean separate containers. The fluid is the same Dot3 or 4
Old 21st September 2012, 18:32   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Hi Anand,

Do you have any idea of the labour rate just for brake-bleeding with the Laptop attached etc.?

I have an Elantra CRDI and it contains separate fluids for brake and clutch. I mean separate containers. The fluid is the same Dot3 or 4

Hi, I can ask specifically.
In my case, because they did not do it when I requested last time, this time they did it out of goodwill (free). But cosidering it may take a couple of hours of time, it should not be more than 2 hours of labour (around 500), I think. I will check and update.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 21st September 2012 at 18:33.
Old 22nd September 2012, 21:02   #234
BANNED

Ok peoples.

A friend of mine is selling his Dark Green Tucson in Bangalore.
Suffice it to say that it is very well kept so if anyone is interested PM me and I will connect you.
This is one of the three Tucsons that I was considering around a year ago before the Yeti popped up into my hard consideration set.
Cheers.
Old 25th September 2012, 12:46   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Shankar,
I have seen a couple of Tucsons in Pista colour - looks fantastic in that colour. Not sure how it looks in dark green. One colour that really looks ugly on the Tuc is white, unfortunately...

A fellow member from Delhi was looking out for one, but it may be quite a task to buy it in KA and then transfer to Delhi...

BTW, I came back from the 1000 km trip to Konkan, and the clutch has been transformed- what a relief! So much so that, my attention was dragged to other (less severe) issues in the Tuc, e.g. though it has the trade-mark diesel torque, there is quite a gap between the 2nd and 3rd. While climbing ghats, if I am in 3rd and have to slow down for any reason, I can easily loose momentum and knock and if I down-shift to 2nd, the speed is still quite high for the 2nd so it revvs above 3000 RPM and makes me look like a beginner. I wished the 3rd, 4th and 5th were a little shorter and there were a 6'th!!!

And once I climbed the amboli ghat and merged on GQ towards Pune, I was hit by the generation gap - though I was crusing along nicely and was able to reach the top speed of the Tuc intermittently, maintain 3 digits most of the time, etc, I could not keep up with the Yeti and the Cruze - they just flew by reminding me that 110BHP/250NM is out of fassion. OK, mine is a 2005 state of the art (that too, bought at the price of a Thar) so I can live with it, but I can't stop thinking about the plight of the new 85 BHP Dusters and 105 BHP Yetis...those guys have brand new and stylish looking SUVs that have to stick to the left lane and let lesser (looking) forms of life zoom past...he he he.

Time for a tunign box/remap? But somehow I feel aftermarket stuff can not match factory expertise unless the original Hyundai ECU (that goes with the 140 BHP European Tucson) can be sourced. That too may need bigger turbo, etc. What to do? Anoop, are you listening? :-)

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 25th September 2012 at 12:55.
Old 25th September 2012, 14:14   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Time for a tunign box/remap? But somehow I feel aftermarket stuff can not match factory expertise unless the original Hyundai ECU (that goes with the 140 BHP European Tucson) can be sourced. That too may need bigger turbo, etc. What to do? Anoop, are you listening? :-)
Of course the factory folks does it better but a straight ECU swap with EU model is probably not gonna be a straight since that version got a VGT turbo and could even have different sensors and inputs.

Drive my car once and I can guarantee you 100% that you'll regret that you've been driving your Tucson all this while without a remap (~150 bhp).

It didn't take much time for @K a s h to get a remap once he sampled my remapped tucson. I'll let him post the feedback instead of me going ga ga.

Quote:
Not sure how it looks in dark green.
Here is how the froggie looks in Dark Green or Bottle Green as Hyundai calls it.

It can vaguely be called a 3-tone painting which shows 3 different shades under different lighting conditions. Black, Dark Green and rarely sports a Dark Violet tinge. A lot of folks mistook it as black since my cars has always been black. My in-laws realized it was dark-green after a few years.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-frog1.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-froggie3.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped-froggie2.jpg  

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 25th September 2012 at 14:19.
Digital Vampire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 15:25   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I thought yours was a black one!

OK, I am surely coming to Bangalore for the remap - now that the clutch pedal is comfortable and I have new brakes!!!
Old 25th September 2012, 20:02   #238
BANNED

Hi. The Dark Green is fantastic. Almost a bottle green shade! Personally I cannot abide that pistachio green. Horrendous shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye
Hi Shankar,
I have seen a couple of Tucsons in Pista colour - looks fantastic in that colour. Not sure how it looks in dark green. One colour that really looks ugly on the Tuc is white, unfortunately...

A fellow member from Delhi was looking out for one, but it may be quite a task to buy it in KA and then transfer to Delhi...

Cheers!
Old 1st October 2012, 23:30   #239
BHPian

Hi AnandPadhye, DigitalVampire and other Tucson freaks here,

I have booked a XUV500 and waiting for the last 40 days. Meanwhile, I've been going through the XUV Niggles thread and getting increasingly alarmed reading about catastrophic clutch failures, brake noise, suspension issues, alignment & tyre wear issues, electronics problems, etc., etc. Today I came across an ad for a 2005 / 85,000 km Tucson which is for sale quite near where I stay (Jamshedpur). The present owner is the 2nd owner and asking price is 5.5 lakhs. I am likely to see this car tomorrow.

Over the last couple of hours I checked out all 16 pages of this wonderful thread started by AnandPadhye and I'm better prepared for evaluating the old Tucson tomorrow. Thanks a ton to you guys. BTW, if I need to speak to you guys can I have your contact numbers?
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:46   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Over the last couple of hours I checked out all 16 pages of this wonderful thread started by AnandPadhye and I'm better prepared for evaluating the old Tucson tomorrow. Thanks a ton to you guys. BTW, if I need to speak to you guys can I have your contact numbers?
Hi @debuda,

All the best with the test ride and inspection.
Yes, sure, I will PM you my cell number.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks