Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 13:57   #16
BHPian

8.5 is cheap . dude congrats. this car gives you the best of both worlds . enjoy..
Old 12th December 2008, 14:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the buy!

Do post some pictures.

And would suggest that you get the locks changed, since you did mention that you got only one key.
Old 12th December 2008, 14:56   #18
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Anand, you finally have an imported SUV you were longing for since last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
All throughout the last one week or so (the most crucial part of this process), I was trying hard to post a new thread on T-BHP to get some advice, but could not (permission problem with my login!). Now that the deal is done, I just tried to see if I can create a new thread...and here I am!
Never heard this happen to a long time member.

Quote:
T-BHP was not there when I needed the most, but then that's life.

I wanted to know how much loan should I take, I wanted to know how to ensure that I will get a legally clean car, I wanted to know how I should ensure that I get a confirmed delivery after all the payment is made, I wanted to know what should I inspect in the car to confirm it's in good health....but god had another plan - he probably wanted me to try it all out on my own and then login here with a story to tell...so be it.
You can find all this info without posting a query, even as a guest.
Old 15th December 2008, 00:26   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the wishes...
I will post the pics soon.

Did a thorough inspection at Sanjay Hyundai.
- Air filter was really dirty - got it changed.
- Oil change was done 2000km ago so they said it's not required.
- Brake pads and front suspension shockers were replaced 2000km ago so all that is sorted out.
- I was not being able to reset the trip meter. They opened the instrument cluster and found the trip button wire was hanging loose - may be they forgot to reconnect it when they did the A/C overhaul last time...

The only real worry right now is the car pulls towards left at steady speeds. Goes in a straight line during accelration, but once I lift the foot off the accelrator, it starts drifitng towards left (very slightly). Tried wheel alignment at Sanjay Hyundai, no luck. Then followed all the standard drama of tyre rotation, changing the inside/outside of the front left tyre...still the problem persists. As any change in tyre position/disposition didn't make any difference (and all the tyres are relatively new with no uneven wear, I still feel it's an alignment issue and would get it done at some good tyre shop).

However, one BIG question - if the car goes dead straight during accelration, but drifts very slightly to left at steady speeds, what does it mean? Any clue?

Last edited by anandpadhye : 15th December 2008 at 00:28.
Old 15th December 2008, 00:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Bearings ? Brake calliper slightly jammed? One of the rear liners jammed?
Old 15th December 2008, 01:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Bearings ? Brake calliper slightly jammed? One of the rear liners jammed?
hmm...thanks for the pointers.

Bearing - wouldn't there be some noise?

Brake caliper and/or liner jammed - how can I check this myself? or should I take it to Hyundai again for this?
Old 15th December 2008, 14:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

The slight change in drift direction on acceleration, steady and de-acceleration can also be due to differential(s). Very much pronounced in front wheel drive cars.

If a brake/liner is jammed on one side you can feel for "heat" differential on the wheels after a fast speed longish drive.
Old 15th December 2008, 14:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

COngrats Anandh..

On the pulling part which suspensions where changed? front? thier might be a problem with one of the suspensions??

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the wishes...
I will post the pics soon.

Did a thorough inspection at Sanjay Hyundai.
- Air filter was really dirty - got it changed.
- Oil change was done 2000km ago so they said it's not required.
- Brake pads and front suspension shockers were replaced 2000km ago so all that is sorted out.
- I was not being able to reset the trip meter. They opened the instrument cluster and found the trip button wire was hanging loose - may be they forgot to reconnect it when they did the A/C overhaul last time...

The only real worry right now is the car pulls towards left at steady speeds. Goes in a straight line during accelration, but once I lift the foot off the accelrator, it starts drifitng towards left (very slightly). Tried wheel alignment at Sanjay Hyundai, no luck. Then followed all the standard drama of tyre rotation, changing the inside/outside of the front left tyre...still the problem persists. As any change in tyre position/disposition didn't make any difference (and all the tyres are relatively new with no uneven wear, I still feel it's an alignment issue and would get it done at some good tyre shop).

However, one BIG question - if the car goes dead straight during accelration, but drifts very slightly to left at steady speeds, what does it mean? Any clue?
Old 15th December 2008, 15:02   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Sudev.

BTW, before I take the car back to Hyundai, I tried to check the clearance between the brake pad and brake disk myself - I tried to insert my business card between the disk and the pad - it does not go through!

Is this normal?
Could not verify how it is on my NHC - that car does not have alloys...

Also, tried to see if the brake caliper moves when I apply and release brake - no, there is no movement. Does this mean Tucson has fixed brake caliper with 2 pistons?

I don't have the owner manual.
Old 15th December 2008, 19:35   #25
BHPian

Hi Anand,
Congrates for best offroading vechile. This one is my favourite, I never driven it, but lookwise I like it more than CRV. And with the diesel option, this car should have sold more in India but dont know why it has never pick-up the sale. Well keep this thread updaring.
Old 15th December 2008, 19:49   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
COngrats Anandh..

On the pulling part which suspensions where changed? front? thier might be a problem with one of the suspensions??
Both front suspensions were changed.
The guy at Hyundai refused to even consider this as a probability as the suspension work was done under his supervision.

I think I should do the following (in that order):
1. Check the brakes (disk, pads, clearance, caliper, fluid, etc).
2. Wheel alignment at an independent and good tyre shop
3. Take the car to another dealer to get his opinion and then back to Sanjay Hyundai...

Well...not much time left...we have to leave for Rishikesh for the rafting camp this Friday! Hence help from T-BHPeans will be extrmely handy to narrow down the cause...
Old 16th December 2008, 02:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Hi Anand,
Congrates for best offroading vechile. This one is my favourite, I never driven it, but lookwise I like it more than CRV. And with the diesel option, this car should have sold more in India but dont know why it has never pick-up the sale. Well keep this thread updaring.
The reason Tucson never picked up sales was because its a CBU, and priced double of what it should have been for because of duties etc.

Its still available new on order but the price on-road Delhi was somewhere around 19L approx. last time i enquired a month back.
At that price one can go in for a more upmarket looking and a better performing Honda CRV or a Mitsu Outlander.
But the main +point was the diesel heart which is an adequately powerful, reliable and efficient mill, something which the competition still does not offer till date(reffering to a diesel engine).
Yes the level of equipment on offer is also good. But IMHO the interiors and exterior design, size of the CRV and Outlander are far more modern than the Tucson, mainly because the later is an older gen design.
Again the former companies carry a snob value for their badges which Hyundai still has'nt managed to come up in level to.

But the biggest problem is that for any parts/accessories one will have to wait as they were telling me that they will have to check for part availability in Pune , if not then get it from Korea, That made me think that incase i have a crash and i need a bumper and its not available in Delhi or Pune then bringing it from Korea then Pune then Delhi is going to take atleast 15-20days, and if its an engine related component without which the vehicle wont run then that would mean that i am left without a vehicle for 15-20days or even a month.
So i obviously decided not to go in for the vehicle as it would have had to be my daily drive.
Old 16th December 2008, 06:49   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
, and if its an engine related component without which the vehicle wont run then that would mean that i am left without a vehicle for 15-20days or even a month.
So i obviously decided not to go in for the vehicle as it would have had to be my daily drive.

True for all Tucson specific spares. But the engine is same as Elantra's so engine related spares are available "relatively" easy. Of course how many Elantras Hyundai has managed to sell is another story.
Old 16th December 2008, 10:17   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

@abhik - Going a little OT here but I wonder how come MUL has managed to hold the price of GV steady. It is also CBU but the price for last two years (almost has been constant, or down if one looks at current discounts.
Diesel heart is normally good at low end torque but this is not totally true for newer gen diesels so Tuscon's low "low end torque " (and lack of high-low range selector) to me are also reason for this remaining a softroader. And as you said that space is more occupied with "badge" values brands. And similar fate befell their other SUV TerraCan.
Old 16th December 2008, 10:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Anand. Tucson is a fantastic buy. Enjoy your drive to Rishikesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
But the main +point was the diesel heart which is an adequately powerful, reliable and efficient mill, something which the competition still does not offer till date(reffering to a diesel engine).
Really ? Ever heard about Captiva ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks