Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 11:27   #31
BHPian

Hey anand,

Congrats dude for your buy... yesterday only was talking to my brother in law regarding tuscon & terracan as he is a service head in Kothari hyundai. Well they have the maximum stock of inported spares in maharashtra so dont worry for that ......
Old 16th December 2008, 11:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks @Hondadude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Hey anand,

Congrats dude for your buy... yesterday only was talking to my brother in law regarding tuscon & terracan as he is a service head in Kothari hyundai. Well they have the maximum stock of inported spares in maharashtra so dont worry for that ......
That's good to know.
BTW, may I ask you a favour?
The service guys at Sanjay Hyundai seem to be a bit disinterested (or incompetent) to solve my wheel alignement issue. Is there a way to ask the Kothari guys to give a fair and honest try to fix this?

Thanks,
Anand
Old 16th December 2008, 11:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Anand what you can do is get the wheels alinged you will know what exactly is the reason...

Also check the tyre wear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Both front suspensions were changed.
The guy at Hyundai refused to even consider this as a probability as the suspension work was done under his supervision.

I think I should do the following (in that order):
1. Check the brakes (disk, pads, clearance, caliper, fluid, etc).
2. Wheel alignment at an independent and good tyre shop
3. Take the car to another dealer to get his opinion and then back to Sanjay Hyundai...

Well...not much time left...we have to leave for Rishikesh for the rafting camp this Friday! Hence help from T-BHPeans will be extrmely handy to narrow down the cause...
Old 16th December 2008, 15:03   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Really ? Ever heard about Captiva ?
Have, but still not available in 4x4 mode. So no go there.

@Anand: The "non"-clearance between brake pads and disc is normal. Unlike drum brakes there is no retracting mechanism and so the pads only retract just away from surface where the hydraulic pressure drops to "zero".
Old 16th December 2008, 15:56   #35
BHPian

congrats anand ,
regarding the disc&pad clearance - you wont be able to insert your business card because the clearance is very close to prevent foreign particles getting into to rotor.

also my friends cousin used to use petes on his tuscon and he was very very impressed with the change in the way it responded after fitment. maybe at a later date after you are much more comfortable with the vehicle you could think of it.

if the owner has declined to give the owners manual is it possible to get the vehicle case history from the dealer
Old 17th December 2008, 03:41   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Really ? Ever heard about Captiva ?
Sorry almost forgot that one....another lovely vehicle. Mighty on power and torque, quite a looker and a decent soft-roader, priced just about right.
Whats missing is a shift-on-the-fly 4x4 mode.

Last edited by abhik : 17th December 2008 at 03:58.
Old 17th December 2008, 03:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@abhik - Going a little OT here but I wonder how come MUL has managed to hold the price of GV steady. It is also CBU but the price for last two years (almost has been constant, or down if one looks at current discounts.
Diesel heart is normally good at low end torque but this is not totally true for newer gen diesels so Tuscon's low "low end torque " (and lack of high-low range selector) to me are also reason for this remaining a softroader. And as you said that space is more occupied with "badge" values brands. And similar fate befell their other SUV TerraCan.
Again i forgot another competitor the GV, well as for it being a CBU and MUL holding the prices, but doest it really matter to them? Because they are probably still completing their sales target for the GV and it is a good product and again along with the Brand value.
I cant comment on availability of spares etc. for the GV.

Hyundai has suffered in the higher segment vehicles which are brilliant as a product, i guess all of them Terracan, Sonata, Tucson, Elantra but the major problem is people going in for other options in the price bracket just because of the "Snob Value" factor.

Also if Hyundai can figure out and stratagise manufacturing majority of the components here plus assembly, they will definately capture markets in all segments.

My next car is also a Hyundai Getz CRDi, even if it means shelling out an amount in which i can get a sedan but cant help it i love the car so much and its a brilliantly packaged product. Just that again this car is majorly popular amongst enthusiats, if only the pricing could have been right, the Swift would have Rested In Peace.
Old 17th December 2008, 09:32   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Sudev and Abhijit,

Thanks for the info on the brake pad clearance.
Today afternoon I have reserved for getting this wheel alignemnt and pulling issue sorted out.

Will update in the evening.

Next in line - the ECU tuning (i don't have enough money and time left before the trip, but would like to analyse, test and finalize which product to buy).
I see a couple of vendors in UK, Race Dynamics in bangalore and Pete's. Anyone having first hand experience of any such product on the Tucson/Elantra (112BHP version), please let me know.

Thanks,
Anand
Old 17th December 2008, 09:40   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

@anand: I would that you wait a while before getting in to ECU. I have heard about RaceDynamics and Pete's giving excellent results. But get other issues and niggles sorted out.

@Abhijit: Look up my or Samurai's threads on GV info. It will be OT here.
Old 18th December 2008, 02:18   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Wheel Alignment Issue Fixed!

Finally...I took the car to N. Mehta - a tyre and wheel shop on Tilak road.
They fixed the problem.

They connected the sensors to all the 4 wheels and the problem was found with the left rear wheel (it had toe out). This is first time in last 5 years that I have seen alignment issue with a rear wheel. No other tyre and alignment guy in the past had shown any interest in checking all the 4 wheels...they only care about the front wheels!!!

BTW, all the payment and paperwork is complete and I got the RC and insurance tranferred to my name.

Now, it's time to look for my camera...

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 18th December 2008 at 02:22.
Old 31st January 2009, 11:06   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
The tucson is out of production now(i think)
Tucson's still being sold by Hyundai Motor Plaza at Delhi. Price listed is Rs.16,26,864 ex-showroom, Rs.17.53,338 on-road. Ready delivery. Santa Fe launch has been postponed indefinitely, so Tucson stays on sale.

Can't find a good low-mileage owner-driven used Tucson - been looking for one for some months now. No joy. Can't afford to buy new.
Old 31st January 2009, 12:27   #42
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Finally...I took the car to N. Mehta - a tyre and wheel shop on Tilak road.
They fixed the problem.

They connected the sensors to all the 4 wheels and the problem was found with the left rear wheel (it had toe out). This is first time in last 5 years that I have seen alignment issue with a rear wheel. No other tyre and alignment guy in the past had shown any interest in checking all the 4 wheels...they only care about the front wheels!!!

BTW, all the payment and paperwork is complete and I got the RC and insurance tranferred to my name.

Now, it's time to look for my camera...

Cheers!
Congratulations on your purchase. Tucson is one of the best highway cars I have ever used. It has the composure to cruise at 150 kmph. Terrific brakes too. Try changing the tyres to 235/60/r16 and it really bites on to the road.

I too feel a slight pulling to the left on my tucson sometimes. I had this in my innova too. But i found that this happens when the car runs on a banked surface. Especially on two laned roads. I noticed that the car pulls to the right when i drive on the right lane! I didnt think of it as a problem. Is this something to be worried about?
Old 25th February 2009, 11:50   #43
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Sudev and Abhijit,

Anyone having first hand experience of any such product on the Tucson/Elantra (112BHP version), please let me know.

Thanks,
Anand
I have the petes on my elantra. It works like a dream, I fitted it with my own hands, didnt take more than 20 minutes. And the price was nowhere close to whats mentioned on the website. Rest assured that its 50% of that!

Congratulations on your Tuscon though!
Old 25th February 2009, 22:30   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Tucson Steering - A Wonderful Experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Tucson is one of the best highway cars I have ever used. It has the composure to cruise at 150 kmph. Terrific brakes too. Try changing the tyres to 235/60/r16 and it really bites on to the road.

I too feel a slight pulling to the left on my tucson sometimes. I had this in my innova too. But i found that this happens when the car runs on a banked surface. Especially on two laned roads. I noticed that the car pulls to the right when i drive on the right lane! I didnt think of it as a problem. Is this something to be worried about?
Thanks VEA.

Yes, the Tucson is absolutely stable and planted even at 160kmph and the best part is - the steering is fantastically heavy at those speeds - I feel much more relaxed and safe driving the Tucson at 160kmph - the steering of my NHC is very light at those speeds and that's slightly scary...

And the Tucson steering is extremely precise - no lag, the car goes where I point it, and I can take sharp corners and make unplanned lane changes and overtaking

And yes, after using the Tucson for a couple of months (almost 7000KM of driving), I think I understand what's going on...Tucson has an extremely sensitive steering (not sure if sensitive is the right word) and even a slight banking of the road surface sends the car to left or right. I drove my NHC and the Tucson on the same sections of the road and realized that NHC does not deviate from the straight line as much as the Tucson does. Also the road undulations are felt more prominantly at the steering wheel in Tucson, so I guess that's how it is supposed to be.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 25th February 2009 at 22:39.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:40   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
I have the petes on my elantra. It works like a dream, I fitted it with my own hands, didnt take more than 20 minutes. And the price was nowhere close to whats mentioned on the website. Rest assured that its 50% of that!

Congratulations on your Tuscon though!
Hi,
Thanks for the wishes.

I called up Petes but they bluntly refussed any discount on the listed price for the Tucson tuning box!
If I would like to install this box myself, can you help me with some pictures, etc?
Do you have K&N or Green filter as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks