Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 11:42   #46
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the wishes.

I called up Petes but they bluntly refussed any discount on the listed price for the Tucson tuning box!
If I would like to install this box myself, can you help me with some pictures, etc?
Do you have K&N or Green filter as well?
Then check the classifieds, I saw one for sale sometime ago, it maybe still there, but its surprising how the prices are so different. Also is the tucson box diff from the elantra? Cos AFAIK, the engines are ditto.

Sure, the box came with pretty detailed graphical instructions, but I can take pics of my engine bay too, BUT only when I`m in Shillong!

Yup, I have the green filter. As per petes it was de rigeur to put that in!

Cheers
Old 9th May 2009, 06:44   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Anand no Tuscon updates?
Old 6th June 2009, 08:59   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Anand no Tuscon updates?
Very sorry for a late reply...was away from team-bhp for quite a while because I was on the road enjoying frequent and exciting long trips in the tuc...but then only when you go out and drive, will you have stories to tell isn't it?

First a quick summary of the last 6 months journey:
1. A cool 5700 KM trip in December -Jan to Rishikesh, Shimla, Amritsar, Jeselmer, Ranthambor, etc...ultra comfortable trip in 17 days with tuc giving absolutely no trouble at all. I have to write a travelouge...

2. A major but regular proactive serving in last week of Jan to replace timing belt, idler and tentioner pully (done at 66,000 KM). Will post details in the following post.

3. Since Feb, numerous weekend trips in the Sahyadris (to places in Konkan), on the GQ between Pune and Kolhapur and of course the high speed E-way trips to Mumbai. Fun all the way with that rush of torque and absolutely no breakdown...

The tuc had done 59,000 KM when I bought it in Dec 2008 and it has now completed 74,000 KM. Engine is sliky smooth - so much so that people travelling with me don't belive that it's a used car with such a high mileage. I just love to see the smiles on everyone's face during each long drive. All of my friends and office-mates have now decided that their next car has to be an SUV....

All the details will follow in next posts.
Just wanted to apologize for not updating the thread for some time and hence this quick post...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 6th June 2009 at 09:06.
Old 7th June 2009, 10:49   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa!! that is some distance clocked by you and from sound of what you say .... with loads of fun.
Waiting for the travelogues.
Old 8th June 2009, 10:41   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

15,000 kms in 6 months is some running indeed! Great to hear that the Tucson is treating you well. She is one heck of a balanced soft-roader....must be a joy on the highways.

Quote:
A major but regular proactive serving in last week of Jan to replace timing belt, idler and tentioner pully (done at 66,000 KM).
Smart move.
Old 11th July 2009, 02:23   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

55,000 KM Service by the previous owner

I took copies of all the previous service records before buying the car.
Here is the record of the 55,000KM service done by the previous owner:
- a major suspension, brakes and clutch overhaul was done.

Comparison of part costs and labour charges from fellow BHPeans is welcome...

Also, please look at the various suspension components replaced.
Just amazing how many individual components make up the whole suspension and if you put together the individual costs, it's a mountain!

BTW, looks like the actual shock absorbers in the front were not replaced, everything else was!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tuc_55k_1.pdf (570.4 KB, 1866 views)
File Type: pdf tuc_55k_2.pdf (544.7 KB, 1446 views)
File Type: pdf tuc_55k_3.pdf (518.9 KB, 1394 views)

Last edited by anandpadhye : 11th July 2009 at 02:39.
Old 11th July 2009, 06:54   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Meticulous as usual.

The bill says that front shocks (struts) were also replaced (#12 & #13) as were rear shocks (#9 & #10)

What I could not fathom is why clutch cover be replaced? (#23) This is just a bell housing and unless damaged due to some very creative driving over stones or bad handling in service nothing should happen to this. Am I wrong in assuming that this is the bell housing? Is clutch cover something else?
Old 11th July 2009, 11:40   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Meticulous as usual.

The bill says that front shocks (struts) were also replaced (#12 & #13) as were rear shocks (#9 & #10)

What I could not fathom is why clutch cover be replaced? (#23) This is just a bell housing and unless damaged due to some very creative driving over stones or bad handling in service nothing should happen to this. Am I wrong in assuming that this is the bell housing? Is clutch cover something else?
Thanks Sudev.

OK, so
#12 Strut Assembly front RH
#13 Strut Assembly front LH

Does the "strut assembly" also include the hydraulic shocker + springs?

If I look at:
#9 Shock Absorber Assembly Rear RH
#10 Shock Absorber Assembly Rear LH

I see that for the rear suspension, they clearly call it "shock absorber assembly". Hence I thought for the front ones, the strut assembly is different from the actual shock absorber and I was wondering why they did not replace the whole thing in the front?

BTW, even I am puzzled at cluth cover replacement. Is this something one can easily spot by looking at the undercarriage? When I accelrate:
1) from ~20kmph to 30kmph in second or
2) from ~30kmph to 40kmph in the third or
3) from ~50kmph to 60kmph in the fourth or
4) from ~60kmph to 70/75kmph in fifth (tried this on purpose)
I hear a tinny rattle from somewhere beneath the engine bay. It sounds very very tinny (and there is no engine knocking). Could this be related to the clutch cover? If not what could this be? Any clue?

And what is insulator assembly strut (#16)? I see the qty as 2. So only the front ones were replaced?

There is so much to learn about the vehicles (and it's really important to learn so that we do correct and timely maintenance at the same time not getting fooled)...I just wished I had some Guru like you nearby so that the car is well reviewed...

And we also need a good sincere and enthusiastic mechanic, isn't it? The A.S.S. guys generally are knowledgeable but not "interested" - they seem to be going through motions of their job...
Old 12th July 2009, 10:01   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Briefly: Front shocks are used in wishbone suspensions (like found in jeeps / amby etc) The newer type of vehicles use struts as combined shocks and wheel locater along with other suspension elements

No guru sir only an enthusiast. Ask away questions there are much more knowledgeable people on the forum.
Old 25th July 2009, 01:57   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Timing Belt Change Story

As posted before, I got the timing belt, idler and tensioner pulleys changed at 66K.

Here is an interesting part of the story:
Called Sanjay Hyundai (the dealer where I got the car inspected before buying). They did not have the idler...called up Kothari Hyundai, they said their workshop for premium cars (Tuc, Sonata) is on the other end of the city (in Kharadi) - they simply don't have the ramp or lift that can take the weight and size of the Tuc in their Aundh/Bopodi workshop

Finally called Kundan Hyundai - the third and newest dealer. The advisor sounded down to earth - positively confirmed all the parts are available, did NOT agree to return the car same day. "The belt cover and assembly must have never been opened since the car was manufactured 4 years ago. Simply opening it will take a lot of sweat and anti-rust spraying" he said.

"Do you have the workshop manual for Tucson" - me.
"No, but don't worry, timing belt replacement needs experience and common sense more than the manual" - He!

I gave them the car. Kept cheking the progress every couple of hours. In the evening, he reported enthusiastically that it's all done and they are going for a test ride. SO I went to pick up the car but the scene was a little different. This guy was on call with Hyundai Service guys in Chennai sitting in the driver's position 4 feet above the ground (the car was still on the lift) with the OBD scanner!!! Apparently 4WD, TCS and ABS warning lights were ON and nobody had any clue. I was nervous and so were all of them.

"Did something go wrong? Please be frank" -me.
"Absolutely not, sir. I know how much you love the vehicle, I can see that you wanted to get it all done in your presence (only if you had the time)...so I put my best guys on the job and told them not to use "hammer" on this car under any circumstances (genrally we do!)".- He.

I was convinced. The debugging proceeded.
First - all brake pads cleaned, brake fluide flushed. ABS persists.
They are quite sure it's ABS that's causing TCS and 4WD warnings. I believed them...

Next - OBD scan and frantic calling to Chennai..."Front Right Wheelspeed sensor failure" was the error code. They were not ready to belive it. Kept on tightning things and taking test rides. Finally, the software engineer (yours truely) wakes up...

"Why don't you switch the left and right wheelspeed sensors? The error code should shift from right to left" - yours truly.

...they are too scared to break the other one also...nobody moves.

I insist. They proceed.

SHOCK!

The left and right sensor housings are uncompatible as it turns out (stupid logisitcs on part of Hyundai in my opinion). Things are put back to original places.

"Sir, leave the car and go home. Relax, we will figure this out". -He.

"No way. Try calling Sanjay Hyundai/Kothari Hyundai, use your goodwill, I know Tucson is a rare car" - yours truely.

He obliges right away...The experienced guy at Sanjay helps out (apparently the staff here has worked with him before - lateral shift to a startup, you see). He recalls he faced the same issue on another Tuc sometime ago. These guys feel relieved..."so this happens".

"Well, that a good piece of info, but how does it help? - Me.

"hmm, back to work :-(" - He.

"WHy don't you try another sensor to isolate the problem. If the problem goes away, it's the sensor. If it stays, it's something else" - software guy inside me.

"It's not in stock".

"Of course, it's not. Please borrow from the Tuc that's parked outside".

"Sir, that car belongs to the owner".

"Yes, I know, I had taken the TD on that car before making the buying decision. Please explain the situation and take permission".

They reluctantly do it and the problem is gone.

OK, bug found. Now, what's the cause and what about the solution.

First - every one works on the solution. All dealers in the viccinity were called - nobody has the sensor in stock. It's dark in the night, Hyundai has closed for the day.

We sleep over it.

Next day - Satureday. Hyundai has swithed to 5 days week due to recession!!! and Monday is 26'th Jan Republic day....I give up.

Come Tuesay - and the news is - Hyundai India does not stock this, so it has to come from Korea.

"How many months will it take" - I am resigned by this time.
" No sir, it won't take long".

I hang up. I don't buy that.

Next day - I get a call...sir the part is on it's way, will arrive in a day or two...and it really does.

Replacing is a quick job and done...all errors gone.
I insist to test the 4WD. They have no clue what that is and how to do that. We lift the car with a technician sitiing in the driver's seat - 3 feet above the ground, I ask him to start. He is sweating. I persist and he starts. No earthquake, he is feeling better. Now I ask him to engage first.

"varach?" - he asks in disbelief (in Marathi)
"on the lift?" - (translation).

"Yes please"...

He does and.....to my relief, all the 4 wheels rotate.

Job done.
Everyone is finally smiling.

Now, I request the advisor to tell me why the sensor failed.
"I am not going to complain. I know mistakes can happen - we are all engineers and we all do it sometimes. I am just curious".

"Sir, we really do not know. Apart from having to remove the front right wheel, we really had no business to touch this stuff".

I accept. But I request some cost relief - just for the sensor (not for the original timing belt stuff). The serice manager convinces me that they can give me 10% off on labour and I should apprecite that the sensor came in real quick from Korea.

"Oh, yes, it's okay. BTW, how did you manage it" - Me.
"Sir, we were really feeling bad about this so put a lot of weight + Hyundai has a fast track ordeing system - VOR - Vehicle On the Road - meaning it's a breakdown case".

It seems VOR really works.

I took the tab with no hard feelings. When someone in our team messes up something, we all join hands to control the damage, isn't it?

BTW, please have a look at the attached bill. Prices look reasonable for a CBU SUV.

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tuc_66k.pdf (558.1 KB, 2221 views)

Last edited by anandpadhye : 25th July 2009 at 02:04.
Old 26th July 2009, 08:10   #56
BHPian

I am impressed , not just for you for keeping a cool head (after all it was your car and money on the line) but also for the professional heads at this Hyundai Service Center. Usually they are either too scared or dont wish to waste time and just shut the whole matter up. Goes to show that the owner being there makes a big difference.

How come you were allowed on the workshop floor? Most centers wont let you near your car , insisting that you sit it out in the a/c lounge with magazines and tea. I hate that, Id rather be next to my car seeing the parts being changed and checking everything else while its open. Mechanics tend to ignore things that they were not expected to check.
Old 26th July 2009, 08:29   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
How come you were allowed on the workshop floor? Most centers wont let you near your car ....
Yeh hindoostan hai meri jaan (This is India my dear fellow)
Old 26th July 2009, 10:09   #58
Senior - BHPian

Sudev, very detailed report there!

Btw what is the total amount what you have spent on this car, just the maintenance?
Old 26th July 2009, 15:27   #59

Anand,
Nice and detailed writing , infact its so enticing that it prods one who is on lookout for used vehicles (& Travels lot) to venture on a search for Used Tucson.

--------------
Vinod
Old 27th July 2009, 11:49   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
I am impressed , not just for you for keeping a cool head (after all it was your car and money on the line) but also for the professional heads at this Hyundai Service Center. Usually they are either too scared or dont wish to waste time and just shut the whole matter up. Goes to show that the owner being there makes a big difference.

How come you were allowed on the workshop floor? Most centers wont let you near your car , insisting that you sit it out in the a/c lounge with magazines and tea. I hate that, Id rather be next to my car seeing the parts being changed and checking everything else while its open. Mechanics tend to ignore things that they were not expected to check.
Thanks Takumi-San.
Yes, they generally request me to relax in the customer lounge, but I always told them I would like to learn and see how the stuff really works. The guys who actually do the job are generally happy to see that I am interested in the stuff and the fact that I honestly appreciate the complexity. And truly, it's really eye-opening to see how it's all done - be it oil change, A/C overhaul, diagnosing various issues - it's a lot of fun.

It's the senior service guys who generally complain - to them I always say that "relaxing" is a mental phenomenon more than physical and I am always more relaxed on the shop floor than in the lounge. Nobody can argue with a customer beyond a certain limit, isn't it? + I am never intrusive. I watch silently and ask questions whenever they have time...

Yes, I feel if owner is interested, the work is done with a lot more purpose and cheerfulness.

Quote:
Yeh hindoostan hai meri jaan (This is India my dear fellow)
Sudev Sir, in fact I was chatting with my client managers (in Germany and US) about various cars and maintenance stuff. They do most of it themselves and if they need to go to service station, nobody stops them from watching. Car maintenance is much more transparent overseas, I feel. Of course, I have not visited service centers abroad myself yet. Hopefully soon :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Sudev, very detailed report there!

Btw what is the total amount what you have spent on this car, just the maintenance?
Just as much as the attached PDF's show (note: the first one was done by the previous owner). And looking at the service history and age of the car, I knew what was pending so price was negotiated factoring the impending timing system change, all lube change (gear + transfer case), insurance duration left etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodGK View Post
Anand,
Nice and detailed writing , infact its so enticing that it prods one who is on lookout for used vehicles (& Travels lot) to venture on a search for Used Tucson.

--------------
Vinod
Thanks Vinod.
This discussion is also, in a way, the retrospection of my "used car" decision, how immensely cost effective it is to buy used (provided one has the passion and patience to search for a good vehicle. The one downside is - initial multiple visits to the workshop to get it all done, which in my case I had factored in already).

But honestly, if one can win over the emotional problems of going for a "used" one, it really saves a lot - especially in case of imported vehicles, whose price is simply doubled due to taxes (more than the merits of the vehicle) and hence there is huge scope for price rationalisation on second/third purchase.

If you are thinking of buying a used one, I would sincerely encourage and if you need any other data from me, please let me know.

I know of another Tuc in Pune which is well maintained and could be sold by the owner.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 27th July 2009 at 11:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks