Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2011, 20:42   #91
BHPian

Re: Bought A Used Hyundai Tucson - The Journey Begins-"A suspected turbo oil seal pro

Just back after the TD of a Pre-owned Tucson. The following are the car details :

Model - Feb-2007
Kms Done : 58000
Owner - First
Asking price - 8.75 ( on road including cost of transfer, VAT, Insurance etc. )

The dealer is offering 160,000 for my 2004 M. Zen ( car in a good condition) and an additional 7000 bucks as an exchange bonus.

I was told that the Tucson was owned by the owner of one of the Hyundai dealerships in Delhi and i have a copy of the RC and the insurance with me. The car is in the name of the Hyundai dealership.
The IDV is about 930,000.

The car is in a decent condition but the dealer is not offering any warranty on the car even though they offer a one year warranty on petrol cars. They will do some 160 point check on the car and also fix the scratches, switches, dry cleaning etc.

Since i am no expert of cars, i could gauge much out of the test drive but would like to get a second opinion from an expert.

Would request you to provide any comments on the same. Also need help on the following :

1) Can someone provide me the contact details of a known Hyundai service center technician so that i can take him to the dealer to get the car checked or do you folks suggest me to take the car to a Hyundai ASC ?

2) I am negotiating for 8.5 Lakhs all inclusive, but if the dealer doesnt budge , then willing to pay 8.75. Is the price ok ?

3) How do i test the 4WD lock and the TCS off modes ?

Pls advise..
Old 14th February 2011, 17:12   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bought A Used Hyundai Tucson - The Journey Begins-"A suspected turbo oil seal pro

Hi,

You can take it to Hyundai ASC and get it checked - I had done this and they really helped me check everything. I offered to pay any charges they would like to bill me for and they politely refused. It was a great gesture.

Price - For a 4 year old 58K run Tucson, price is in the reasonable range. But 58K is about time for the timing belt to be replaced. Check if that's done and if not try to negociate based on the fact that you will have to incur that cost very soon. Check tyre life - another thing that impacts price. Also check clutch replacement history.

4WD check - Lift the car (at Hyundai ASC) with a technician at the driving seat and ask him to start the car - when all wheels are in air, there is no traction whatsoever so the 4WD mode should engage and you should see rear wheels rolling. This is how I tested the 4WD before I made the buying decision.

TCS off is tough to check.

I could have helped with all this if you were in Pune.

Good luck!
Old 14th February 2011, 17:59   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hi,

You can take it to Hyundai ASC and get it checked - I had done this and they really helped me check everything. I offered to pay any charges they would like to bill me for and they politely refused. It was a great gesture.

Price - For a 4 year old 58K run Tucson, price is in the reasonable range. But 58K is about time for the timing belt to be replaced. Check if that's done and if not try to negociate based on the fact that you will have to incur that cost very soon. Check tyre life - another thing that impacts price. Also check clutch replacement history.

4WD check - Lift the car (at Hyundai ASC) with a technician at the driving seat and ask him to start the car - when all wheels are in air, there is no traction whatsoever so the 4WD mode should engage and you should see rear wheels rolling. This is how I tested the 4WD before I made the buying decision.

TCS off is tough to check.

I could have helped with all this if you were in Pune.

Good luck!
Thanks Anand for the advice.

What is the typical cost of a Clutch and timing belt replacement ?

Spoke to the dealer, They do not allow vehicles to be taken out to other Hyundai ASCs as they have an inhouse workshop for the same.

I have been able to negotiate to 8.65 Lakhs ( on-road ) but i have asked the dealer to get the service record for me as well as check that when was the clutch replaced last and if the timing belt has already been changed.

The tyres are in a good condition.

Last edited by kamal.sn : 14th February 2011 at 18:02.
Old 14th February 2011, 20:46   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Clutch replacement @13000 (all inclusive - clutch plate, pressure plate, bearings, labour)
Timing Belt replacement @14000 (all inclusive - belt, pulleys, labour)
Accessory belt replacement @3000 (all inclusive)
Old 14th February 2011, 20:59   #95
BHPian

If the vehicle is in top-shape, the dealer should not have any problem getting it checked elsewhere.

Also beware of dealer owned vehicles and following is the reason why. When I went to take the test drive of Hyundai Sonata Embera CRDI, I was promptly given the MD's car for test drive. The exact same thing happened at a different dealer as well but that time it was a Captiva AWD...

The pricing is good and Anand is spot-on with other suggestions. TCS is difficult to check unless you have some loose gravel surface on a safe and protected stretch but I'd not suggest you testing it until you are very comfortable with the new vehicle's drive dynamics. Try to get hold of an expert driver who knows what he is doing if you are really particular about testing TCS.
Old 15th February 2011, 22:39   #96
BHPian

Help needed.

I am planning to take the Tucson to Safdarjung Hyundai in Gurgaon tomorrow. Can someone suggest a specific person at the ASC who can help me with the checkup ?

I spoke to the service manager. He said that the technician will only test drive the car to pin point any issues. Is this enough or do you folks suggest some tests to be carried out like the engine compression test etc to identify any potential issues.

Last edited by kamal.sn : 15th February 2011 at 22:43.
Old 15th February 2011, 22:53   #97
BHPian

Well... If you can perform an engine compression test, it'd be a great test to assess the condition of the engine. I don't remember what the baseline numbers were for cylinder compression but the technician/supervisor should be able to answer that before the test itself.

If well maintained, the Tucson's engines are well behaved even at 2 lacs+ kilometers as I've seen in two specimens. But if abused, it is anybody's guess.

Weak clutch is the a known issue with Tucson and pay attention to that specifically.
Old 19th February 2011, 12:38   #98
BHPian

Booked the Tucson two days back. Will take 4-5 more days to get the car as it is undergoing paint touchups, PDI etc.

Thank you all for the valuable advice and suggestions. Would also need your help for do's and dont's and some tips on driving/maintaining the car.

Has anybody bought a pre-owned car from Carnation. Do they offer a warranty on Diesel cars since i have booked the Tucson from carnation and they say that they do not offer warranty on Diesel and CNG cars.

Last edited by kamal.sn : 19th February 2011 at 12:41.
Old 19th February 2011, 12:48   #99
BHPian

Congrats...Would appreciate a separate thread on your used car buying experience from Carnation. I don't think I've seen any used car buying threads from Carnation yet.

Also pictures and details of your new possession please...
Old 22nd February 2011, 00:41   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations!
One more Tucson on T-BHP.
Let's keep each other updated on each and every ownership detail.

Congrats again...
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:55   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Congratulations!
One more Tucson on T-BHP.
Let's keep each other updated on each and every ownership detail.

Congrats again...
Thanks Anand.

I just got the service record of the car. The clutch plate and bearings have been changed at 23000 Kms and the service record has no mention of the timing belt change.

Called up a Hyundai service center in Delhi. The quote given to me for clutch overhaul was Rs 18000 and for the timing belt was 25000.

Have the parts recently become expensive or the service center is giving me an inflated price.

Pls. advise..
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:03   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
Called up a Hyundai service center in Delhi. The quote given to me for clutch overhaul was Rs 18000 and for the timing belt was 25000.

Have the parts recently become expensive or the service center is giving me an inflated price.
Check this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...practices.html (Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!)
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:31   #103
BHPian

@Anandpadhye, @Digital Vampire : At what mileage is the timing belt change recommended by Hyundai in India ? I was going thru a couple of threads on some overseas forums and they mention something like 60k miles ( 96000 kms ) for a timing belt change.
Old 22nd February 2011, 22:31   #104
BHPian

IIRC, timing belt change is recommended @ 80K by Hyundai but I changed it at 60K to be on the safe side since failure could be catastrophic. Next change would be @ 120K
Old 23rd February 2011, 00:30   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi @kamal,

Yes, I also think it's better to change the timing belt at around 60K. I did mine - just as Anoop mentioned. If the belt snaps, you will have to get yourself a new engine - not worth it.

I think the prices you got are inflated. I can check with my service adviser here tomorrow, but if you can get the break up of your quotes, it will help.

Clutch overhaul can wait if you are not feeling too much strain on your left knee (please remember that in Tucson, the pressure plate give away earlier than the clutch plate, so you will not experience the clutch slipping, rather the pressure on your left knee will gradually rise - and as I have mentioned before, if you drive the same car everyday, it will be hard for you to notice before your knee complains....). In any case, clutch failure will not be catastrophic. Do you hear irritating rattle from the clutch plate at low RPMs, say around 1500 RPM?

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks