Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 16:28   #121
BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

Thanks Anand

I've never tried to fill above the auto cut-off (the best it has taken so far is 52 litres) and the max I've driven at a stretch without refilling is ~650 kms. I usually don't wait to get into the red zone and tank up as soon as I find a good fuel station. The vehicle feels better planted when the fuel tank is full. Could be something to do with the additional weight or it could simply be a placebo effect.

With a very relaxed right foot, the best I've squeezed so far is 17km/litre (as reported by OBD software). During normal highway runs (tries to keep speeds around 140), the fuel consumption hovers around 12-13 km per litre.
Old 16th March 2011, 19:21   #122
AVR
BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped

Quite possible about the 15 litres after the auto cutoff. Before a trip to Jaipur (~650 kms) from Ahmedabad, the pump attendant got quite frustrated with the slow process of filling up post the cut off. It went on for quite a while. I managed to finally fill 55 litres when the fuel needles was above 1st and just below the 2nd line. What's the point of having such an early cutoff? I fail to see a point.
We managed to reach Jaipur comfortably with a fair amount left. So a 700+ range is easily possible. This is on a relaxed cruising speed of 100-120 most of the time.
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:09   #123
BHPian

I got the the clutch replaced on my Tucson today from Safdarjung Hyundai in Gurgaon. Since there was also some judder in the clutch, i also got the flywheel replaced. But in the process, they also said that they are facing some problem with the clutch release and advised me to get the slave cylinder ( part desc - cylinder assy - clutch release ) and also the oil seal.

Are both the above parts usually changed during the clutch replacement ?

Also they found some fuel leak from a sensor which is fitted near the fuel filter and it was called as 'water sensor' but since they did not have the part, they have ordered the same.

I am checking on ebay and other parts sites but i am not able to find any water sensor. What is this sensor which is connected after/near the fuel filter ?
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:10   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Slave cylinder is not replaced during clutch replacement. I think it's done only when there is a problem with it.

I think there is a "water in diesel" warning light in Tucson.
If it glows continuously, you need to drain the water from the diesel filter. The service advisor once promised to show me how to drain the water (just in case) but both of us forgot about it last time.

How much is the dealer quoting for this sensor?
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:16   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Slave cylinder is not replaced during clutch replacement. I think it's done only when there is a problem with it.

I think there is a "water in diesel" warning light in Tucson.
If it glows continuously, you need to drain the water from the diesel filter. The service advisor once promised to show me how to drain the water (just in case) but both of us forgot about it last time.

How much is the dealer quoting for this sensor?
The sensor costs around 900 bucks.

Can you check with your SA sometime because the SA who got my clutch replaced was a young fellow and i felt that his knowledge was limited.
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:23   #126
Senior - BHPian

No car I know of can take 15 litres of fuel post cut off. #1 The fuel pump attendant would have used the fastest speed to dispense fuel, that can actually short deliver & the cut off happens because of exessive frothing due to to high speed dispensing. #2 The guy had not set the meter to zero or played a trick which missed your attention.

My Pajero which has a 90 litre tank can take about 3 litres post cut off & swift takes a litre or 2...

15 litres post cut off is fishy for sure
Old 4th April 2011, 12:05   #127
BHPian

Quote:
I got the the clutch replaced on my Tucson today from Safdarjung Hyundai in Gurgaon. Since there was also some judder in the clutch, i also got the flywheel replaced. But in the process, they also said that they are facing some problem with the clutch release and advised me to get the slave cylinder ( part desc - cylinder assy - clutch release ) and also the oil seal.

Are both the above parts usually changed during the clutch replacement ?
Slave cylinder replacement was never a part of clutch replacement. At least not in my case with 3 clutch replacements so far. I hope they replaced it for a reason.

Quote:
Also they found some fuel leak from a sensor which is fitted near the fuel filter and it was called as 'water sensor' but since they did not have the part, they have ordered the same.

I am checking on ebay and other parts sites but i am not able to find any water sensor. What is this sensor which is connected after/near the fuel filter ?
This is the "water-in diesel" sensor right under the diesel filter. Please be careful about this flimsy sensor when they replace it since it can break easily while fitment and still leak fuel.

If you are worried (and rightly so) about the competency of Hyundai A.S.S, I suggest you to download Tucson's Workshop Manual (you can find them on Torrents ~300MB) and explore a bit yourself. Our engine is D4EA type and ensure that you download the corresponding files. Almost every repair is well documented but some require special tools and such repairs are better left to the A.S.S under your supervision.
Old 5th April 2011, 15:41   #128
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The vehicle feels better planted when the fuel tank is full. Could be something to do with the additional weight or it could simply be a placebo effect.
Fact, not placebo. Those 58 liters of fuel weigh about 40 kilos in total. 40 KG can make a noticeable difference when it's at the tail end of the vehicle.

Conversely, have you noticed how a car feels when the tank is on reserve? Sure, the difference isn't that much, but still perceptible.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:11   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fact, not placebo. Those 58 liters of fuel weigh about 40 kilos in total. 40 KG can make a noticeable difference when it's at the tail end of the vehicle.

Conversely, have you noticed how a car feels when the tank is on reserve? Sure, the difference isn't that much, but still perceptible.
100% agree to the fact presented above.

I generally in city driving ride the vehicle until 10ltrs out of 65ltrs is remaining.

After a tank up of approx 55 liters, the safari presents a well planted ride what comes to feeling vs almost empty tank.
Old 7th April 2011, 23:41   #130
BHPian

After the clutch change last weekend, the gear shifts were harder. Took the car to the Safdarjung Hyundai again two days back. The slave cylinder was bled , clutch freeplay reduced and the gear stick lubricated.

The gear shifts are now ok but not as smooth as before the clutch change and the gear stick also requires some effort to move ( the technician had adjusted some weight associated with the gear shift) and the clutch has also become harder than it was immediately after the clutch change.

How hard should the clutch pedal be normally on the tucson? I tend to compare the same with my Santro clutch and the tucson clutch is harder that the Santro. I am not sure whether the hard clutch is normal or it still needs some adjustment.

Which Hyundai workshop in Delhi/NCR has a pedal pressure meter ? I need to get my Tucson clutch pedal checked.

I also feel that the overall NVH has increased and i am not at all enjoying driving the Tucson right now with a hard clutch, hard gear lever and high NVH.

Can some bhpian in Delhi help me by suggesting a good hyundai service center in Delhi NCR to get my car checked.
Old 8th April 2011, 09:44   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi @kamal.sn,

In general, Tucson clutch is harder than I would like it to be (and definately harder than petrol hatchbacks, IMO), but in your case, if you are sure it was lighter before the overhaul, then that points to something that was not done right during the overhaul.

Also, if NVH has gone up, it's really sad. I will definately ask about the possible causes and remidies to my SA, I am going there coming Monday/Tuesday.

I am sorry but I don't have any connections in Delhi to help with this so we have to wait till someone from Delhi sees this post and chips in.
Old 11th April 2011, 17:42   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

BTW, I am going to Kothari Hyundai for servicing tomorrow.
This time I decided to try synthetic oil (to check if it's a reality or myth).

I have bought Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W50 - 6 liters.
There seems to be a lot of opinions about which Mobil to use for CRDi's.

One dealer told me I should use Mobil Delvac 1 while many others said Mobil 1 is good - both for petrol and diesel engines.

I looked up my Laura manual - it says VW505.00 for CRDi Laura so I thought this grade should be good enough for Tucson CRDi.

The Mobil 1 SuperSyn can I have says API SM/CF and VW505.00.
I can either use this or get it exchanged for something else before the service tomorrow.

Anoop,
Have you tried any synthetic? Which one do you recommend? Does it really make a difference after switching over to synthetic?

Thanks,
Old 11th April 2011, 18:18   #133
BHPian

I've never tried synthetic oils on my Tuc. I'm told by many experts not to use synthetic oil on an older vehicle. Synthetics have high detergent content which is good for keeping the engine clean of carbon deposits, but in older vehicles this may pose issue with the thin deposited layer of carbon between the cylinder walls and piston removed and may lead to compression blow-by. Well.. at least this is the theory/hearsay and I didnt want to take too much risk with oils and always stuck to good mineral oils.

The following oils (all 15W40) are found to be good on Tucson (and Elantra sharing the same D4EA engine at a different state of tune).

Mobile Delvac MX (I've used it for the past 5000 Kms and was happy. Some claim this oil is not very good, but I personally didn't observe any issue)
Shell Helix HX6 (Diesel) : Using it now and is very good
Shell Rimula R4: Haven't tried it yet, but have heard rave reviews on the same.
Old 12th April 2011, 12:46   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

I had once switched to Mobil Delvac MX - and it was really bad. Engine became lttile rough and noisy, switched back to the default oil (Indian Oil Servo) within 3 or 4 months and I developed very good respect for Indian Oil.

Tucson is much more silent and smooth when using the Indian Oil Servo.

Now I bought Mobil Delvac 1 (5W40) - fully synthetic and meets API CI+/CI/CH...

Will update on how it feels once I have the Tucson back in a day or two.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:33   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thing about the spare tyre in Tucson

This weekend, checked the air pressure in the spare tyre before a long trip and realized that the spare is mounted such that the outer side of the wheel/tyre is facing upwards - so I can check and refill air without having to take out the tyre. NICE!!!

In my Laura, the spare wheel is mounted the other way round - the outer side is facing downwards, and I have to take the wheel out to check/refill air...It's a pain. I will check if I can mount it the other way round...

And now IIRC, it was the same problem in my NHC as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks