Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 16:22   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon Flair

Hey ravi_23, the older pushrod engine of the IKON is not really as efficient or powerful as the 1.3 Rocam. And like mentioned above, the 2000 iKON is definitely not a Flair.

IIRC, Flair came out in '04 with the 1.3 Rocam engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Ikon service at Ford is around 2800-3000Rs per service including labour. This includes oil and filter changes.
Ravi, please note that dot is mentioning only the periodic service, and this amount will include ONLY the engine oil, and filters change.

A 2000 vehicle will incur much more maintenance costs.

For example, the car you are looking for should be sporting its 2nd set of tyres, or else, you will definitely need to change those 11year old tyres. Which will set you back by atleast ~15k. Also, being a 11 year old, 50k kms car, the previous owner must have done a complete suspension overhaul or else, again you will be set back by about ~10 -15k.

Again, check for fuel pump issues, AC Diverter valve,(if you need warm air), ignition coil , alternator, battery etc.. A 11 year old vehicle may need replacement of all these parts. Not that 50k kms warrants a clutch overhaul, but still you need to check it. And yes, as every used car buyer checks, check the drive shaft for any sound on full lock steering.

If everything seems fine, the go for it. 90k seems justified.

PS - FYI, a fellow bhp'n recently bought an '04 1.3 Rocam nxt for 1.35L.
Old 25th April 2011, 16:45   #62
BHPian

Thanks dhanushs, that was a really very comprehensive reply

I know that such an old vehicle will definately have many issues with it, that is why I have kept aside around 25-30k extra for a through servicing which would include checking of all those things that you have mentioned. Tyres I hope that they are in good condition.

So, now is it advisable to go and check the car, I have attached the picture of the car also, so that the experts can figure out something
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ikon Flair-11444973841302888173.jpg  

Old 25th April 2011, 16:49   #63
dot
Senior - BHPian

@ravi_23, I am also not sure if Ford Service Center will take a look at the car for free. Maybe if you are 100% sure that you are going to purchase this car, you can take it to Ford for a paid service and they will give diagnosis of other issues if present. A simple call to Ford can resolve this question. Since you are ready to spend 90k, another 3k forward expense may not be a bad idea.

Yes, as @dhanushs says, the cost of replacement of wear and tear parts + regular Ikon niggles can be high.

Edit: Just saw the car picture. Apart from a minor dent on the rear right door above the rubber strip, the car seems to be well maintained, at least externally from this angle.

Last edited by dot : 25th April 2011 at 16:55.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:08   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
Thanks Dot, that really helps....its a relief to hear that.

I would also like to know whether ford people will the inspect the vehicle for me if I take it to a Ford Service Station before purchasing it. Since I am not very much familiar with the mechanicals, I may end up with a lemon. So I do not want to take any chances.

And if yes, then how much should I pay them for an inspection and test drive, any approx amount.

Thanks
For a small amount, a Ford service station would definitely check the vehicle for you and give you a detailed list of parts that need to be replaced and even the ones that are non OEM, afterall it is only going to them business in future.
I am not so sure if a seller would be really comfortable with it though.
Also, as someone else has pointed out, you would be a lot better off scouting for a newer 1.3 Rocam engined car for a fraction extra. The Rocam motors are far more refined and fuel efficient.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:20   #65
BHPian

@Dot, a very nice point....a phone call to a Ford Service Centre will definately let me know if they will do a paid inspection, which I feel they will do.

@Manson, I know that the ford ikons with ROCAM engine are very reliable and efficient. But here in bangalore they are priced outrageously. I dont think I will be able to find one under 2 lakhs which is way beyond my budget. And the fact that I will hardly use this vehicle for 1 year, it doesn't make any sense spending that much amount.
Old 25th April 2011, 18:05   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

ravi_23, thanks for putting up a picture.

The car 'looks' fine and well maintained. As for the tyres, the MRF zvts which comes OEM with the car, refuse to wear off whatever be it. Upon aging, they will be terribly noisy, and lack grip. If they are 11 years old - Change them, irrespective of the thread. Highly unreliable too.

Looking at the car, a 90 + 30k should do it. . I believe Benny (benbsb29) knows a good independent workshop where he takes his IKON. You should get
it done way cheaper than the A.S.S.
Old 25th April 2011, 18:56   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
I dont think I will be able to find one under 2 lakhs which is way beyond my budget. And the fact that I will hardly use this vehicle for 1 year, it doesn't make any sense spending that much amount.
Wow, that is some money to pay for a Flair with a 1.3 Rocam engine. Down here in Mumbai you should be able to easily find a decent example with minor cosmetic work for 1.25L - 1.75L depending on conditon and year of manafacture.
At the 1L price point, I would strongly suggest getting an Esteem of similar vintage for the hassle free ownership and much more enjoyable car. The Ikon may feel more luxurious than the Esteem, but that is where it really ends.
Old 25th April 2011, 22:58   #68
BHPian

@manson, yup used car prices in blore are sky high. I did look for a few used esteems but for around 1.2 lakhs I could not find any mpfi models i.e post 2000 models, moreover all the used esteems are very roughly used and don't seem to be in good condition....So there will be a big question on reliability.

I have decided to go and have a look at the earlier mentioned ikon and will get a paid inspection from ford as I do not know any reliable mechanic. If everything goes well then I would like to fix the deal in the next few days.

Thanks for all the responses

Most Viewed