Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 15:24   #16
BHPian

Instead of pulling the wires out, you could just push them back and tape them to the bottom of the dashboard. That way they wouldnt show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Everyone is asking me about the wires in the front footwell. Its an AUTOCOP system. I actually want to pull it off and chuck it away, but worried if it is connected to the engine or something. Cursing the taste of the previous owner. Scoop on the bonnet
Old 14th January 2009, 15:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everyone is asking me about the wires in the front footwell. Its an AUTOCOP system. I actually want to pull it off and chuck it away, but worried if it is connected to the engine or something. Cursing the taste of the previous owner. Scoop on the bonnet
I hope you do not do this at all! No pull it off, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
Instead of pulling the wires out, you could just push them back and tape them to the bottom of the dashboard. That way they wouldnt show.
If the Autocop is working properly, then all you have to do is put these wires back behind the dash so that they are not so obvious and do not risk being damaged when passengers get-in or out.

If you are going to chuck out Autocop (not a good idea), then get an electician to clear the wirings properly.
Old 15th January 2009, 08:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

First long trip.

Yesterday I had the opportunity of taking the SAFARI on a 200 kms trip. We travelled from Bangalore to KGF for a wedding reception. 60 kilometers of National Highway and 40 kilometers of State Highway.

Everything was normal within the city limits, the vehicle was running like any other normal one, then the highway opened up and traffic thinned

For the frist time in my life I experienced a 'Turbo'. The vehicle was normal till 2,000 rpm, and once it crossed that, it becase a roller coaster, the turbo shoved you and you could hear the boom resonate, it was pure pleasure, the vehicle sailed over the road as if it was a sail boat hit by a sudden high speed gust of wind. Thoroughly enjoyed it and am now fully addicted to it .

My Dad was acting as the speed governor, so touched a shade over 100, with a lot of travel still left in the accelerator pedal. Joy was when my Dad mentioned while we stopped for coffee that I was driving well, sticking to 60-70, while in actual we were doing 90-100, he missed the wicked glint in my Brothers' and my eyes.

As cliched as it may sound, 'The vehicle feels rock solid and corners as if on rails'. Able to keep up to higher speeds and stay longer at higher speeds, overtaking is no longer a fully thought-out and planned affair, literally look down on cars and can see them scamper away when you charge howling at them (no offense - i'm a very defensive driver, never put my life in the hands of the oncoming vehicle)

On the state highway, the height and suspension really came onto its own. Potholes were dime a dozen, and was able to mainitain more than 60 on the horrible roads. All four occupants were pleased as punch over the ride. The vehicle is easy to chuck around on conjested roads and villages and the bulk disappears, its so easy to get into 'call-center driver' mode and let it sway its way through.

The return journey was night driving, and for company we had my uncles' 1 day old BOLERO STORM - The one with the SCORPIO engine, being driven by a Chauffer. My Dad's instructions were to stay behind the vehicle and not overtake it at any cost, kinda we'll hide behind the BOLERO to shield ourselves and get to Bangalore holing the BOLEROs tail.

The SAFARI was not pleased at all. It was easily eating into the BOLEROs lead and screaming to be left alone, could have so easily took the BOLERO and dispatched it into the wilderness. The headlights were simply stunning. Due to consideratoin for other road users, I used the low beam and fog lights for most part of the journey, and when someone got nasty or if safety demanded it, then the high beam came on. The high beam literally lit up the darkness and pummeled the opposition into submission. Even busses and lorries were no longer a threat, it was like Mike Tyson looking up threateningly at Micheal Jordan, the SAFARI and the LORRIES i.e.

Overall, excellent drive. Very 'uneventful', the vehicle ran like a dream, and has now instilled so much confidence in me to take it out on long trips without a doubt in my mind. My Brother was carrying his high limit credit card just in case something went wrong with the vehicle - but guess the SAFARI would continue to keep his card unused for a long time to come.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-photo09.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-photo10.jpg  

Old 15th January 2009, 10:30   #19
BHPian

Hey Arun, While 'Safari bashing' continues unabated elsewhere on Tanveer's thread, you are going nuts enjoying your Safari... You instill confidence among us to go for this 'Goddam' monster with whatever niggles it comes along with. Thanks you for this...
Old 15th January 2009, 11:27   #20
BHPian

Why do I get the feeling that TCIC Safari's are less problematic compared to Dicor's, there seems to be very less niggles with old gen Safari's campared to the modern Dicor's.

Feel's very good to know TheArun is enjoying his Safari.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Arun,congrats on your buy

and its great that you enjoying the beast.Spend some more time with the beast and you will learn more about taming and utilizing it better.

Happy mile munching,Injoy
Old 15th January 2009, 11:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
sticking to 60-70, while in actual we were doing 90-100,
As cliched as it may sound, 'The vehicle feels rock solid and corners as if on rails'.
Congratulations! After 76000kms in a 1999 registered Safari, I can understand your elation. In all that distance almost in 6years, it never ever missed a beat and never went for un uncalled service. The service intervals were 4000kms with oil change at every 8000kms.

Keep watch on the front bushes and the alignment. Very difficult to have uniform wear in the front tyres in the earlier models.

On the highway, the supposedly underpowered Safari devours distances easily.

It would be worthwhile to invest in a 2 tonne compact hydraulic jack for emergencies. The OEM jack may not go under the axle in case of a rear wheel puncture and even if it does is a herculean task to lift up.

Enjoy!
Old 15th January 2009, 11:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Why do I get the feeling that TCIC Safari's are less problematic compared to Dicor's, there seems to be very less niggles with old gen Safari's campared to the modern Dicor's.

Simple- Tata's bubgear has traditionally been electricals and electronics- so the more complicated the elec. on a tata car, the more it will trouble.

the TCIC is a pretty basic engine so that much less to go wrong.
Old 15th January 2009, 14:02   #24
Team-BHP Support

Arun, that was a touching story about why you decided to buy a Safari. The part about you all attending mass together was heart-clinching.

Enjoy your vehicle, and wishing you many trouble-free miles in future.

P.S. : Get the full claddings for the doors. It looks incomplete without them.
Old 15th January 2009, 14:04   #25
BHPian

As Trrk had suggested, a hydraulic jack is very helpful for this mammoth machine. i use this with my Sierra...
Attached Thumbnails
TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-cc04_1.jpg  

Old 15th January 2009, 14:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

how much does this hydraulic jack costs ?
Old 15th January 2009, 16:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
how much does this hydraulic jack costs ?

This is available for about 1.2-1.5k. It's a MADE IN TAIWAN product and comes with a casing as well...See this

eBay India: CAR LIFT 2 TON HYDRAULIC JACK (COMPACT) (item 300286733306 end time 20-Jan-2009 23:54:26 IST)
Old 15th January 2009, 18:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejwal View Post
As Trrk had suggested, a hydraulic jack is very helpful for this mammoth machine. i use this with my Sierra...
Thanks. Exactly the one I have. Works flawlessly!
Old 16th January 2009, 01:11   #29
BHPian

Congrats on the new member in the family. It surely is a very well kept vehicle and I feel you got it for a very decent price too.
Old 16th January 2009, 09:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Some observations from the deck of a SAFARI

• It was in the night, and it was a two single carriageway National Highway. There was an INNOVA in the rear view mirror, was easily able to keep it behind, it stayed in touch for more than 50 kilometers, but then disappeared as the SAFARI picked up on average speed. The INNOVA looks so small in the SAFARI rear view mirrors, can see its whole roof actually, and the lights were not blinding at all.
  • With the SAFARIs high beam, its easily possible to keep all road users at bay, they kinda involuntarily veer to the side and move out of the way
  • Its possible to shift gears blindly even for a novice. Reverse is farthest away, and 1st and 2nd have a short throw compared to 3rd and 4th.
  • Its possible to stay stuck onto 5th for long durations, infact sometimes you try searching for the 6th, 5th does not have the side effects of an 'Overdrive' gear, all you need to overtake is to aim properly and bury the throttle.
  • Someone had mentioned here about the 'endless 3rd gear', that part is really true. Its something like whats written on Osho's grave - He was never born, he never died, he only passed this way between 19xx and 19xx - 3rd never begins and never dies, its simply endless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks