Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2011, 09:34   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Had a minor hiccup.

The SAFARI was not used for a fortnight, last week I drove it for a hundred meters, and yesterday when I went to start the vehicle, the battery was dead.

The lights and music came on, but it refused to start. Took the batter out and gave it for charging - it was a shock that it costs 250 bucks to charge a battery.

I don't know if they battery guy pulled a fast one on me.

Hoping to get the battery in today and get the SAFARI spring back to life
Old 12th June 2011, 12:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Had a minor hiccup.

The SAFARI was not used for a fortnight, last week I drove it for a hundred meters, and yesterday when I went to start the vehicle, the battery was dead.

The lights and music came on, but it refused to start. Took the batter out and gave it for charging - it was a shock that it costs 250 bucks to charge a battery.

I don't know if they battery guy pulled a fast one on me.

Hoping to get the battery in today and get the SAFARI spring back to life
Generally the batteries lasts (if maintained) upto 3 years for easily. My last battery lasted 4 years. How long has it been since the battery was changed the last time? If more than 2 years then better that you change the battery or get the vehicle checked for any current leaks\short in the electrical line.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 13:38   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Generally the batteries lasts (if maintained) upto 3 years for easily. My last battery lasted 4 years. How long has it been since the battery was changed the last time? If more than 2 years then better that you change the battery or get the vehicle checked for any current leaks\short in the electrical line.
The SAFARI is back on the road, got the battery back fully charged and placed it carefully.

This battery is about 2 years old, there is definitely a leak/short in the electrical line. Someone told me, new vehicles stand in the yard out in the open for months on end and start with the first crank.

When I was replacing my headlight bulb the electrician told me that the wiring was all messed up and needed do be redone. I dismissed him as someone soliciting for more business, now guess I have to take him seriously and get the TASS guys to check the electricals out.

What I'm going to do is ensure that I put atleast 20 kilometers a week so that the juice in the batteries stay
Old 13th June 2011, 08:29   #79
c10
BHPian

Hi,

Like you i too have just graduated from Sierra to Safari 4x4 TCIC, 2003 Model.

Got a lot of info reading your experience..

Initially the FE we got was 7 in city & that was in the first week of buying the ride from an auto consultant. Now the FE is better with oil & filters changed i tried the "stick to 80kms" rule & it did work wonder!! Now the FE is like 10 in city & 11.5+ on highways..

Which part of Bengaluru are you from??

Cheers!!
Old 1st August 2011, 08:50   #80
Senior - BHPian

General Service - Done

Over the weekend the SAFARI went in for its general service.

Called PRERANA and fixed up an appointment. They have a board there, where they are supposed to write down all the customer names, whose verhicles are booked for service but that board had old data (maybe the time they had an inspection)

I reached there at 9:00 and hung around for the staff to come in. The staff trickled in and by 9:30 it was a beehive. A service advisor who recognised me gave me a chair and started exchanging pleasentaries, he brought up the topic of the SIERRA I owned earlier and had me ready for the kill - he then sold me their 24x7 Support service signed up with TVS. I knew that I was being ripped, but gave in to his sweet talk and paid up 550 and signed up for the program. Who knows, maybe one day I would be thankful that I signed up, but as of now, guess I will never use the service.

Then the watchmen came with their pink sheets trying to mark out the dents on the body. I told them not to worry because marking the dents on the SAFARI would take till evening, but they still went about doing it.

The service advisor came now, the same old guy with whom I was dealing for years. Surprisingly, their attrition is pretty low, PRERNA

Then in full view of all customers a spat broke out between the staff regarding who will take what vehicle and we customers watched on in amusement, it ended as soon as it began and we were in the SAFARI discussing the 'complaints'

For the first time the SAFARI was going in for service relatively complaint free. Most of the time it was some major issue that came up at the time of service and the staff concentrated on the major issue and the service was an after-thought. This time, I wanted them to concentrate on the service. We went for all filters and oil change, said no to synthetic oil and the only real complaints were AC not cooling effectively and some leakage in the silencer pipe that was reported at the last service.

The advisor claimed a bill estimate of 7,000. I requested him to fix any small issues if found and keep the bill below 10,000

...to be continued
Old 1st August 2011, 09:36   #81
Senior - BHPian

@Thearun: 7,000 Rs are occasionally ok bills for Safari. I too had some occasions when the bill touched 7-10K Rs. Some tips to avoid hefty bills, purchase engine-oil from outside, I got 7.5 ltrs for 1200 Rs some 5-10days ago. Don;t go straightly for replacements at TASS they try to take a run on their customers, instead search the local market if that particular part is servicable. Recently, when the brake booster gave-up TASS told to change it (which was a good suggestion as considering the brakes can save lives of you and others on the road), but it was for some 7,000 Rs I refused and serviced it outside for 1200 Rs, it malfunctioned initially but once it got set, now the brakes works like charm.

Last edited by mercedised : 1st August 2011 at 09:38.
Old 11th August 2011, 07:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@Thearun: 7,000 Rs are occasionally ok bills for Safari. I too had some occasions when the bill touched 7-10K Rs. Some tips to avoid hefty bills, purchase engine-oil from outside, I got 7.5 ltrs for 1200 Rs some 5-10days ago. Don;t go straightly for replacements at TASS they try to take a run on their customers, instead search the local market if that particular part is servicable. Recently, when the brake booster gave-up TASS told to change it (which was a good suggestion as considering the brakes can save lives of you and others on the road), but it was for some 7,000 Rs I refused and serviced it outside for 1200 Rs, it malfunctioned initially but once it got set, now the brakes works like charm.
You are my Guru. I'm hoping that my SAFARI follows in the footsteps of your awesome SAFARI
Old 11th August 2011, 07:41   #83
Senior - BHPian

... Continuation

I was busy at work and could not go to pick up the SAFARI till the weekend. It was all goosebumps as I turned at PRERNA to 'reclaim my life'

The SAFARI was covered with dust since the blokes there had left it in the open parking yard. I did not mind. Paid the bill and took the keys.

While I was there, signed up for the 24x7 On-Road assistance. Unfortunately I read the fine print after paying the bill. One word of caution, the 24x7 assistance need not be pre-paid. What I suggest is, make a note of the number and call them if you ever get stuck, they collect the fees at the time of attending to you. This way, if you are lucky and don't get stuck, then you save on the 550

The greatest feeling in the world is driving home your vehicle after it has been serviced, everything is so proper and in place.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-untitled.jpg  

Old 11th August 2011, 09:43   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are my Guru. I'm hoping that my SAFARI follows in the footsteps of your awesome SAFARI
Have not heard better joke made on me. Hahaha!!!

Quote:
... Continuation

I was busy at work and could not go to pick up the SAFARI till the weekend. It was all goosebumps as I turned at PRERNA to 'reclaim my life'

The SAFARI was covered with dust since the blokes there had left it in the

The greatest feeling in the world is driving home your vehicle after it has been serviced, everything is so proper and in place.
Exhaust pipe change? why? Rust, where? The labour quoted is exceptionally high, the normal servicing charges for me were 350 INR. Coolant, how much of it was needed and why?

Last edited by mercedised : 11th August 2011 at 09:44.
Old 16th August 2011, 08:11   #85
Senior - BHPian

@Mercedised - I did not check anything. Just turned up at PRERNA with 10,000 bucks in my pocket and turned the SAFARI over for servicing. Blind trust you can say, but your inputs have got me thinking. Will research well and get prepared next time round so that no-one pulls a fast one on me
Old 16th August 2011, 08:19   #86
Senior - BHPian

The trip to KGF - Kolar Gold Fields

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to take the SAFARI out on the highway to stretch its legs. We made a trip to KGF - Once upon a time a famous Gold mine but now a town or crumbling ruins.

The SAFARI ran brilliantly. I kept it in the 2,000 rpm range and the fuel guage did not move at all. It is now giving me 15kmpl (back of the envelope calculation) I want to do a proper tank full to tank full mileage test before I run off to celebrate.

The road to KGF are now awesome. Till Kolar its the NH4 with all road works complete and no toll charged . From then on its the single lane state highway but well tarred and a pleasure to drive on

The town itself is quiant and peaceful as the pictures would tell, with an extremely low cost of living. Everyone living in KGF almost - comes to Bangalore to make a living

The SAFARI on its part, ran like a dream without a single hiccup. With the silencer part taken care off, it was very smooth and you had to strain your ears to hear the engine at 2,000 rpm. One grouse though was that the AC was not fixed as yet, will get that sorted out one of these days. Its been a long time since I travelled in AC comfort

Picture 1 and 2: At the outskirts of Bangarpet, to give you a perspective of the state of the State Highway
Picture 3: The stretch ENDEAVOUR owned by the resort owner - nice place to have lunch
Other pictures: The barren roads of KGF, its awesome British Raj bungl(o/a)ws and the now defunct mining shafts
Attached Thumbnails
TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011446.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011447.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011449.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011450.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011451.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011452.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011453.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011454.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011455.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011456.jpg  

Last edited by TheARUN : 16th August 2011 at 08:30. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 16th August 2011, 09:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

No write up would be complete without posting the latest pictures of the SAFARI

Note the paint fading at the bonnet and the roof due to the SAFARI being parked in the sun in front of my house

Last but not the least - the first picture - the road to nowhere
Attached Thumbnails
TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011457.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011458.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-07082011459.jpg  

Old 16th August 2011, 10:17   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No write up would be complete without posting the latest pictures of the SAFARI

Note the paint fading at the bonnet and the roof due to the SAFARI being parked in the sun in front of my house

Last but not the least - the first picture - the road to nowhere
Wow!!!!!!! The Safari looks HANDSOME. Some more pictures of interiors and exteriors please.

Which part of the silencer was removed (as you said in the previous post)? and is it a 4x4 Safari?
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:39   #89

Re: The 7th of May, 2011

Hi Arun, where did you get the stickers done?? Anywhere close to HSR??
Old 6th October 2011, 10:17   #90
BHPian

Safari pics look awesome.

15kmpl in the highway sees familiar, but how much do you get in the city? I get around 8 kmpl in the city with 100% AC on and no switching off at the signal, and I shift fro 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th around 2500 rpm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks