Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 15:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Twin View Post
I also have the similar problem of Safari drifting towards left on braking.. The service guy is adamant and says the vehicle is heavy and it would move to left as this is a safety measure. Please let me now as and when you get this rectified. Think I will have to escalate this..
Regardless of the fact that this is an issue, the SA has the guts to try to bluff his way out with the most dumb excuse heard so far! Got to appreciate that guys guts to say something like this.

Please do escalate, and if possible, do highlight this reasoning by the SA.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on buying Safari, its definately great SUV to buy in India! I hope initial niggles settle down soon, all the best!

About vehicle pulling towards left during braking for safety measure is total blind answer by service engineer, I heard similar convicing answers by such mechanics. Onething I noticed is it depends on way you hold steering and position of steering during braking.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
... Onething I noticed is it depends on way you hold steering and position of steering during braking...
If doing a hard brake with the steering turned means that one is trying to drift. But, if one is driving straight and does hard braking, then the vehicle should not fish tail. If it does, then it means that the braking that is applied is of different measure which needs to be corrected.

Recollect a post by TSK saying that hard braking with the hands off the steering, and the vehicle is going straight after his multiple visits to the service center.
Old 23rd January 2009, 19:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Strange Noise

Hi Everyone,

Since I am new to the 2.2 Dicor engine, I wanted to clear one doubt.

I have noticed that when I accelerate in 4th gear, the engine makes a distinctly coarse noise within the following speed range -75 kmph to 85 kmph.

While in accelerating in this speed band, the noise is like some kind of air blowing. One tends to feel the noise in the floor of the car. There is also a feeling that the car acceleration in those moments is not directly propotional to whatever ruckus being created by the engine (this maynot be the real case..its just the feeling I get).

To be more exact the noise would be like the one, we hear sitting inside the aircraft, when the aircraft lands and the airflow is directed to stop it.

Am I making sense? Has anyone else noticed such a thing too?
Old 23rd January 2009, 19:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Can you tell us the tacho read? Some 2.2L including mine make a coarse noise when the turbo spool starts and end.
Old 23rd January 2009, 22:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I think its the noise made by turbo spool, as you say. How can it be corrected?

When this noise comes, the tacho needle is ususlly surging from just under 2000rpm or from 2000rpm to 2300rpm.
Old 27th January 2009, 23:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi, I think its the noise made by turbo spool, as you say. How can it be corrected?

When this noise comes, the tacho needle is ususlly surging from just under 2000rpm or from 2000rpm to 2300rpm.
Just drive in the correct gear-to-speed ratio, and the 'problem' will vanish.
Old 28th January 2009, 20:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Update @3500kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Just drive in the correct gear-to-speed ratio, and the 'problem' will vanish.
I have got used to the noise, and as you say will follow the correct gear to speed ratios.

I have completed the first one month of ownership of my Safari. To round it off have taken it out for a trip to NCR from Jalandhar (480 kms). Started from Jalandhar at exact 4 AM in the morning and reached my office in Gurgaon at 10.20 AM. sharp. I have done such trips so many times in different vehicles - Scorpio, Tavera, Qualis, Landcruiser--nothing and I mean nothing comes close to Safari in offering a comfortable long distance ride.

It is just for this reason that I am ready to overlook all its other shortcomings.

Now, while I am at it let me ask your suggestions for correcting a few niggles. Since I took the ride alone today, the front co passenger seat was empty which is generally not the case. Midway through the journey, the seat started making tik tak tak tik type noises..like the sound a spring would emanate. The frequency of this clatter grew as the journey progressed. Coming back from office I found this noise really irritating. Please advise how to eliminate this noise.

Considering I have to make the return journey to Jalandhar at night day after tommorow, I dont want my sole companion through the journey to be this irritating noise.
Old 30th January 2009, 18:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Now, while I am at it let me ask your suggestions for correcting a few niggles. Since I took the ride alone today, the front co passenger seat was empty which is generally not the case. Midway through the journey, the seat started making tik tak tak tik type noises..like the sound a spring would emanate. The frequency of this clatter grew as the journey progressed. Coming back from office I found this noise really irritating. Please advise how to eliminate this noise.

Considering I have to make the return journey to Jalandhar at night day after tommorow, I dont want my sole companion through the journey to be this irritating noise.
You need to isolate the place of origin of noise , Spray some WD40 on all the nuts below the seat and tighten them , Also check the seatbelt mounting point.

Also the noise may not be from the Seat or interiors at all , In my safari most of the times tak tak noise is due to stone stuck in the treads of rear tyre . But if co passengerside window is open it looks likes it is from inside the cabin , Solution is simple check the tyre and use your key or a screwdriver to remove stones.
I think duller H/T collects quite a few pebbles.
Old 31st January 2009, 20:06   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I know if you buy a Safari, you are supposed to be not that concerned with the mileage, but what gets me excited is that my Safari is now actually cheaper to run than my Maruti 800!! Its like travelling in Shatabadi Express but paying the fares of a Garib Rath Express.

Lastly, a heart wrenching event happened.

A lady in a scooty barged into my Safari from behind on the move at spped of around 20kmph. The impact was massive. Luckily, the lady was not hurt. The scooty was not that fortunate, its handled had turned at almost right angles. But more damaging was my cracked bumper. The bumper is still there, but just above the number plate on the sides, it has a crack, plus a healthy those of scratches on it. Luckily the paint has not been spoilt.[/quote]
Congratulations on your new acquisition.I also respect your faith and confidence with the Tata Safari.
The Scooty incident is an irritant. Most of us though very careful are hit by other careless traffic users.
Old 5th April 2009, 18:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Now Completed 10,000 KMs

The new Safari LX has been with me for now 3.5 months It has done around 10,000 KMs now. Most of these kilometers were highway runs.

The SUV - Maintenance & Mods
I have also gone ahead and got the engine oil and oil filter changed ahead of the prescribed km reading - at about 9000kms. The SUV overall remains as stock as possible, with the Sony Xplod system as the only after market fitment. I got a great deal on this system and since am not a music buff, decided to go with it. Once the cash reserves build up, the first change I want to make is to go for Michelins. And little later want to install Xenon's steering wheel and Xenon's alloys.

The Experience So Far

Issues & Niggles

No niggles, no problems whatsoever. The doors used to rattle a bit towards the beginning, but this has subsided totally. The front passenger seat used to squeak , which is still there but intermittent now. But these were hardly niggles. Yes, the wheel directions were slightly off, rectified by wheel alignment.

Driving experience
It has been the best. The best highway car in my opinion. Great comfort, great seats, great stability. In my opinion the SUV performs the best when fully loaded. There have been so many instances when I folded the rear seats, loaded the car with all sorts of things to the brim and just cruised my way to the destination at speeds of 100 kmph without caring a damn about broken roads, traffic , heat and in utter comfort. And may I add at very low costs. (Overall average fuel efficiency so far 12.82 kmpl - slightly biased due to extensive highway runs, but at all times fully loaded and the AC on at all times and every time it is driven since the onset of Spring )

Wishlist for improvements in the SUV

1) Better quality plastics, and quality of materials used on the inside. Sometimes my heart bleeds to see those ugly plastics in an otherwise handsome SUV

2) Better brake feel when cruising at speeds in excess of 100 kmph

3) Better headlights.

4) Tata bring back the original Safari alloys.
5) Better handling, ok can do without it as far as I am sticking to the highways.
Old 12th June 2009, 22:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Updated @ 16300 Kms

My Safari clocked its 16000th km in late May, approximately 5 months after its purchase. If I take an average speed of 50 Kmph, it means in the past 5 months I have spent 320 hours or more than 13 nights and days in the car alone. And that explains why I chose the Safari.

It went for its first official service earlier this week. Servicing a Safari is always fun. Because you get to interact with a lot of jokers. And these jokers meet you at each and every point. Right when you enter the car to the point you leave the hallow confines of the legendary A**. For instance, I was asked if I was facing any problems, which could be rectified. I said no and sternly warned the mechanic handling the job card, to NOT to touch the vehicle apart from taking it through the regular service routine. The mechanic was put off at first, but persisted with his questions. Thats when I asked if he could do something about the wind noise in the cabin, which is quite prevalent and irritating at cruising speeds. As a solution, the damn idiot went ahead and changed the whole rubber beading of both the front doors. I was like what the ****, and he merrily said it was under warranty.
Otherwise the total cost of servicing came to be under Rs 3600/-.

Overall would like to sum the the first 16k kms with the Safari as follows

- Issues & Problems faced: none except for a blown AC fuse once

- Almost no rattling noise in the cabin at this point of time. But this status quo may not remain for a long time. I feel the dashboard of the car has expanded due to rise in outside temperatures. Well, this is my reason of the creeky noise that it sometime emits.

- The fuel efficiency of the vehicle is showing a declining trend. From an overall 12.8 kmpl one and a half months ago it has steadily fallen to 11.2 kmpl at the most recent fillup. One major reason could be increase in vehicle idle time with AC on

- The AC is perfect for me. It wont chill my bones nor will it leave my dog panting when it is inside the cabin. I rarely put the blower at speed 4. But this view may be subjective. Some, probably with less body hair, do complain about the AC taking more than usual to cool.

- Overall, the vehicle is doing its duty perfectly. It has worked like a charm so far.

PS : I had enrolled for the Safari club online some 2 months back. Last week I got my enrollment details + a nice informative magazine+ a poster + a dummy credit card with my name inscribed.

PPS: To get enrolled I needed to provide the chasis number. At which point I used Team BHP knowledge to ascertain the manufacturing date of my safari. I was sold an October manufactured Safari in December

PPPS: Hi Mods, do you feel this thread should be moved to the long term review section due to the km count? Also request you to please rename the thread as 'Tata Safari - 16000 kms @ 5 months'
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report-dsc02092.jpg  

Last edited by rrsteer : 12th June 2009 at 22:37.
Old 14th June 2009, 19:22   #28
BHPian

great to hear that you are having a blast with your Safari.

Keep the pics coming
Old 14th June 2009, 20:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great going RRSteer!

Glad to note that you are having a great time with your LX.

Few more pics, especially with such a good natural surrounding, would be great!
Old 14th June 2009, 20:56   #30
BHPian

That is quite a running in 5 months!
I think those with LX version are not having any problems with the car and are quite satisfied with the performance.
Another good example is adc's Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks