Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 16:24   #76
BHPian

re: Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
The odo is at 105950kms

1) Does every car need a maintenance bill in the region of Rs 30k - 40k after it clocks about a hundred thousand kms

3) Any other preventive maintenance activity that I should do to further the life of the vehicle ? Like injector cleaning etc ( I have lost my Safari service booklet, so don't have a ready reference of what all activities to e performed)
congratulations on completing 100,000 mark.

a suspension job at around 100,000 marks is pretty normal and the cost you have paid for that is good too.

if you intend to keep this vehicle, just get a thorough inspection done and get everything, that needs attention, fixed and it shall serve you for another 100,000 KMs.

if you have never done injector cleaning, it is a good idea to get it done now. also, check the throttle body and get that cleaned too. radiator flush, change of rubber belts (timing belt, etc.) shall also be taken care of.
if you end up doing engine flush, consider moving to semi-synthetic engine oil (or fully synthetic). gear oil (transmission oil) should also be drained and filled again at this mileage.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:09   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
congratulations on completing 100,000 mark.

if you have never done injector cleaning, it is a good idea to get it done now. also, check the throttle body and get that cleaned too. radiator flush, change of rubber belts (timing belt, etc.) shall also be taken care of.
if you end up doing engine flush, consider moving to semi-synthetic engine oil (or fully synthetic). gear oil (transmission oil) should also be drained and filled again at this mileage.
Fluids would have been changed for 90k service.

A suspension job would cost 20k approx.
Clutch replacement from 10-12k IIRC.
Old 12th January 2012, 18:58   #78
BHPian

Congratulations on completing the 1 Lakh kms landmark. Another milestone Tendulkar's 100th ton could have coincided with?

Though I have been a regular (read addicted) visitor to the forums on team-bhp, I applied recently to become a member and this is my first post.

I currently own a 2005 Baleno Vxi for which I had researched this site and this one is really for keeps. I have done quite a few stretches on NH1 to Amritsar, Ludhiana and Chandigarh - also Paonta Sahib, Jaipur and Agra in Baleno and never found it wanting in any respect. Have had to convert to CNG to cater to my daily run to Gurgaon stretching to 80-90 kms a day and it still is a rocket compared to so called hot hatches and sleeker sedans with suppressed engines.

Wish to add a Safari to my stable to let the adventurous streak in me take flight hence a browse through the long term ownership section and came across your thread. Your experience may well be a decision maker for me though the steep expenses post the 1 lakh mark are a worry point. Perhaps the right time to sell a Safari is around 90,000 mark?
Old 3rd February 2012, 22:33   #79
Senior - BHPian

rrsteer, wow your safari is a true mile muncher! and a great report indeed. your thread will instill loads of confident to all the prospective safari buyers, which includes me

btw one of your post you have mentioned "Avoid bad roads, congested roads to the extent possible" does this mean that Safari cant handle bad roads?? i agree on the congested part.

i think 33k for all the below job is quiet reasonable, infact seems to be on cheaper side. i remember getting a quote close to 30k just for suspension work on my OHC and even my Fait Adventure is on the same scale!

1) The front suspension (an overarching word used, to mean the various parts changed relating to the front suspension)

2) The rear suspension ( again an overarching word)

3) Both front brake discs

4) Engine timing belt and the associated kit

Other activities carried out:

1) Engine oil change
2) Coolant change
3) Diesel filter change
4) Gear oil change
5) Differenetial oil change
Old 13th March 2012, 19:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post

btw one of your post you have mentioned "Avoid bad roads, congested roads to the extent possible" does this mean that Safari cant handle bad roads?? i agree on the congested part.
Actually, by avoiding bad roads I meant to stress that I go the extra step to keep the vehicle tip -top!

As I parked the Safari for the day today, its odo reads a nice 112222 kms.

In between the last report and now, here is whats is new in the Safari:

1) Original clutch set replaced @ around 1,12,000 kms

2) Original battery replaced @ around 1,10,000 kms

3) Original horns replaced with Minda trumpet types @ around 1,10,000kms

4) Headlights gone kaput. Changed from 90w osram back to manufacturer recommended 60w

The feel good factor has been enhanced manifold by:

1) A super light clutch action - presently rivaling my other car: M-800

2) Slick gear shift (by Safari standards). Hopefully that stubborn gear stick has been sorted out with the clutch change.

3) TASS confirmed the front shockers are good for some more time. And somehow they took care of a faint sound that was heard when the SUV went over rough roads. So back to a silent SUV!

4) The horn! That PUMM-PUMMMM sound is oh so intoxicating and so much better than that shrill sound emanated by company fitted horns.

I had briefly flirted with the idea of selling this beautiful car. But hopefully better sense prevailed and I'll now stick it out with this car. Buoyed by that decision and since we travel a lot, for the first time I'd like to spend on some extras in the car. I plan to add a nice headrest DVD player and navigation system in the car.

Last edited by Eddy : 19th March 2012 at 21:01. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 13th March 2012, 20:28   #81
BHPian

Quote:
1) A super light clutch action - presently rivaling my
other car: M-800
Oh really comparable with M800?

I am having a pretty hard clutch in My Safari. Showed it to TASS once though
they said it can't get lighter than this. But this is new Safari, so what would
you advise to be checked?
Old 13th March 2012, 20:40   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Oh really comparable with M800?

I am having a pretty hard clutch in My Safari. Showed it to TASS once though
they said it can't get lighter than this. But this is new Safari, so what would
you advise to be checked?
I myself was riding with a very heavy clutch. After the clutch change the difference is striking. So when I say that its very light, I am labeling a brand new clutch. I am sure as I pile up a few hundred kms it won't remain that light. I really can't comment on your situation.
Old 19th March 2012, 18:45   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I parked the Safari for the day today, its odo reads a nice 112222 kms.......

I had briefly flirted with the idea of selling this beautiful car. But hopefully better sense prevailed and I'll now stick it out with this car. Buoyed by that decision and since we travel a lot, for the first time I'd like to spend on some extras in the car. I plan to add a nice headrest DVD player and navigation system in the car.
Excellent mileage attained. One of the rare few nigglefree Safari's on this forum.
I too had toyed with the idea of selling mine. But every time I turn that ignition and floor that throttle, i change my mind.
Now planning to customization for a long term keep.
Cheers to you and your truck.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 14:27   #84
BHPian

I have a sierra that clocked 225000 kM. Now planning on selling my indigo cs and going for a safari. with the long term report , it looks good to buy one.
sirius1845 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 10:41   #85
Senior - BHPian

The Safari chugs along. The odo is 123456 kms. Recently drove a 5 year old 139k Innova. Compared to that my 3.5 year old & 123k run piece felt sublime. So in the long run probably it all boils down to individual ownership.

Also in the last 3-4 days I drove a Honda City & an Innova considerably. Since I am looking to replace the Safari, this was a good opportunity to evaluate the good & the bad points of the Safari and make a checklist of these for the new car that I may buy.

What immediately struck me (apart from the obvious & expected) when I got back to the Safari from the Honda:

1) The torque of the Safari engine was taken for granted by me. A renewed respect for the 2.2 ltr dicor

2) The brakes in the Safari felt inferior

What immediately struck me (apart from the obvious & expected) when I got back to the Safari from the Toyota:

1) The clutch in my Safari was ten times lighter (though the Toyota was not a well maintained car)

2) The pulling power in Safari is better

3) The brakes in Safari are better

4) The AC of the Innova was more effective

5) Innova engine's driveability in traffic was worthy of applause

Last edited by rrsteer : 24th June 2012 at 10:42.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 20:55   #86
Senior - BHPian

So whats the verdict? will it be a another Safari?

From my experience from jumping from a OHC and then to a Adventure to Safari, i respect this vehicle. though i wont make a mistake of comparing to the precise behavior of honda but the truck *** all the reason to be owned.

Quote:
The Safari chugs along. The odo is 123456 kms. Recently drove....

W
Old 25th June 2012, 03:16   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
So whats the verdict? will it be a another Safari?
As of now I am almost certain its going to be an Innova. But I am waiting for the Storme & Duster to get launched before I take the plunge. If the Storme is as great as I think it can be, I will buy it. But, if the Duster is priced well, say I get the diesel Duster for 8 lac on road - then I will buy the Duster & retain the current Safari too.

My first choice is Duster + Safari; second the Storme, my last choice but probably the most likely outcome - Innova

Last edited by rrsteer : 25th June 2012 at 03:18.
Old 14th July 2012, 20:02   #88
Senior - BHPian

And in less than 20 days, (from my last post), the Safari traveled over 2000kms. The odo is well above the 1,25,000 km mark.

And in the last to last tankful I got a mileage of over 12kmpl. This constituted 350 kms in highway mode and about 100kms in Delhi traffic during rains with AC on always. Now you can't ask a 2 ton, fully loaded, 125k run down car to give a better mileage, or can you?
Well in the latest tankful this morning the mileage I obtained was was almost 13kmpl! Though this time the driving was even more biased to highway conditions.

I gotta move back, bend down and take my hat off for this vehicle. Yes it has its drawbacks, but I really don't see myself doing the following in any other vehicle: Driving to Delhi from Jalandhar (400kms) @5am in the morning. Do the business, load the stuff in the car to the gills(let me iterate this -- to the GILLS) and still feel fresh enough after having been inside the car environs for like 10hrs, to be eager to start the journey back from Delhi to Jalandhar @ 4pm the same day...then reach home @1am next day and not feel tired.

And I am not the superhuman variety and I don't believe in popping up Revital pills as advised by Mr. Salman Khan. Its pretty much,down to my lovely, spacious, comfortable and admirably economical SUV - The humble Tata Safari!
rrsteer is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks