Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 20:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report

Hi All,

Bought our 2nd Tata Safari in December 08 , after having sold our earlier 4 year old -Old Tata Safari. Here are my list of its pros and cons

Tata Safari 2.2 LX vs Tata Safari 90 BHP

Pros :
1. Much Better Engine
2. Better Fuel Efficiency
3. Better NVH

Cons:
1. Turbocharger sound
2. Scant improvement elsewhere; fit and finish still lacks quality feel

1500 Kms Initial Ownership report

Have faced little problems, though not without niggles. Have done over 1500 kms in first 15 days of driving with about 60% highway driving. For the first 600 kms, it returned a good overall FE of 11.9 kmpl, while for the second tank full with more of highway driving, it returned an eye popping 14.5 kmpl (no ac though due to chilly winters). I have been strictly following the initial engine run in recommended rpm and speeds, and thus never ventured over 90kmph. Most often while on highways I cruise between 85 kmph and 90 kmph and at this speed, I find that the engine is really really sweet and with little discernable engine noise. So far its been fun to drive and I am enjoying the 2.2 Dicor engine.

Now the things that are not so enjoyable:

- Rattles have creeped in just 15 days. The front co passenger door makes rattling noises, when driven over uneven roads. The rear seat bench also makes squeaking noises sometimes

- Central locking in my opinion is a perenial problem with safari's. My older safari used to lock/unlock doors on its own mind and this one is no different.

- the silver paint on the central console is of poor quality , it has started wrapping up from the ends as if asking someone to just peel it off

- one thing that i probably didnt notice in my earlier Safari, which happens in the new one is that pushes to the left on braking. I noticed this on a clean stretch of highway with my hands off the steering. My dad sitting next to me told that its a good thing and most cars behave this way. Is this true? Or is there a problem here..Please help

First Service

- Eventless service, done pretty professionally with the total cost of Rs 170 that too for the coolant added, which I didnt check while taking delivery of the vehicle and am pretty sure was low since then.

Overall

I love my Tata Safari, actually I would love it even if it were a house of problems.

But , so far it has made me proud. Amen!
Old 13th January 2009, 21:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I love my Tata Safari, actually I would love it even if it were a house of problems.

But , so far it has made me proud. Amen!
Good. In the end this is what matters and seems you are really happy with your SUV.
Old 13th January 2009, 21:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Good. In the end this is what matters and seems you are really happy with your SUV.
True

rrsteer,
Congrats on the purchase. Do post some pics of the beast.
Old 13th January 2009, 21:31   #4
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. Hope you niggles give way to smooth riding!
Old 14th January 2009, 00:19   #5
BANNED

rrsteer, your valuable inputs required on the below link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...please-58.html
Old 14th January 2009, 02:38   #6
BHPian

Congrats on the new buy.

Safari is known to've a few initial niggles and then settle down. With regard to the vehicle pulling to left on braking, I don't think its a good sign. Do get your brake balance and wheel alignment checked.
Old 14th January 2009, 05:28   #7
abk
BHPian

Congrats rrsteer! One Safari gives way to another

Regarding the fishtailing problem while braking, you may want to have a look at the problem (one of too many!) reported by tsk1979 at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1071701-post211.html in the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...sed-horse.html

Wish you miles and miles of reclaiming life!
Old 14th January 2009, 09:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi All,

Cons:
1. Turbocharger sound [Can you describe this? ]

Now the things that are not so enjoyable:

- one thing that i probably didnt notice in my earlier Safari, which happens in the new one is that pushes to the left on braking. I noticed this on a clean stretch of highway with my hands off the steering. My dad sitting next to me told that its a good thing and most cars behave this way. Is this true? Or is there a problem here..Please help
Congrats!

A vehicle is not supposed to steer to any side under the braking condition you said. Get it checked.
Old 14th January 2009, 14:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the wishes!

With regards to the turbocharger sound, I meant the sound made by the earlier Safari engine had more presence and was great to hear. The 2.2 dicor engine makes a faint whistling noise, which is sometimes audible when I pull in the 2nd gear with the windows rolled down.

I'll definitely get my brakes and wheels aligned. Thanks Guys!
Old 14th January 2009, 14:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

Front co passenger door rattle is common. Get it fixed. They are supposed to ensure all damping materials(foam) is in place. It will then go away.
Do not neglect steering towards left. If road is slippery you may get a proper fishtail. The brake balance between left and right has to be adjusted. Mine got fixed after 3 visits to workshop, and it took a TML and dana engineer to fix it.
Old 18th January 2009, 08:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Update @ 2300 Kms

For the second consecutive time, the truck returned above 14.5 kmpl. And this time the heater was widely engaged. And the driving was a 60: 40 mix, in favor of highway driving.

I know if you buy a Safari, you are supposed to be not that concerned with the mileage, but what gets me excited is that my Safari is now actually cheaper to run than my Maruti 800!! Its like travelling in Shatabadi Express but paying the fares of a Garib Rath Express.

Couple of other things noticed:

1) The gear shift was not engaging properly for the first 600 kms or so, now it engages smoothly even the first gear. But one feels that the gear shift stick is composed of 2 sticks rather than one, while using it. (that is 2 sticks joined at ends)

2) While driving you just cant use the music system, the gear lever interfers with the system...this is a problem I dont remmember to have experienced in the old Safari

3) Rattles have somewhat reduced, though I need to get the front doors adjusted.

4) Brake allignment remains high priority, but yet to act on that front.

Lastly, a heart wrenching event happened.

A lady in a scooty barged into my Safari from behind on the move at spped of around 20kmph. The impact was massive. Luckily, the lady was not hurt. The scooty was not that fortunate, its handled had turned at almost right angles. But more damaging was my cracked bumper. The bumper is still there, but just above the number plate on the sides, it has a crack, plus a healthy those of scratches on it. Luckily the paint has not been spoilt.
Old 18th January 2009, 14:42   #12
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy your new bull and keep us posted with your ownership experience.
Old 19th January 2009, 11:24   #13
BHPian

I also have the similar problem of Safari drifting towards left on braking.. The service guy is adamant and says the vehicle is heavy and it would move to left as this is a safety measure. Please let me now as and when you get this rectified. Think I will have to escalate this..
Old 19th January 2009, 15:37   #14
BHPian

Yes - the music system is diffiult to operate without the remote because of the gear shift - even for the passenger. You do eventually get used to it though.
Old 19th January 2009, 15:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Twin View Post
I also have the similar problem of Safari drifting towards left on braking.. The service guy is adamant and says the vehicle is heavy and it would move to left as this is a safety measure. Please let me now as and when you get this rectified. Think I will have to escalate this..
Can you share the service centre's name.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks