Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 18:26   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
IIRC, Ford recommends 5W30, so you need to stay above this rating.
Which is the best oil that I can use Condor?

Quote:
Reg the rpm's, do remember to take her to 3k rpm for 30 seconds 'when driving', once a week. This is stated in the owners manual.
Should be fun.

Quote:
This may not be entirely correct. The Ikon's official fuel tank capacity is 45 liters.
IIRC it is 46 liters.

Quote:
In this specific case, will help to know how much did Proxima fill her up, to.
40.xx liters. Upto the brim where I can see it on both occasions. Above the metal flap infact.
Old 18th March 2009, 21:23   #107
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Which is the best oil that I can use ?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1217171
This was my experience with OWS turboracing. Be prepared for a shocking price tag though. I think its worth it.

Old 25th March 2009, 15:14   #108

Hey there Condor, that is a very well written review. I am planning on buying an Ikon TDCi myself and your review has been of great help to me. There are a few questions which I needed to ask you.

Firstly, I am concerned about the cars refinement, would you consider the car's engine to be more refined than say the one in Getz CRDI or the Swift for that matter? The reason why i ask this is mainly because when i test drove the car, I found the engine noise and vibrations highly evident inside the cabin with the windows up. I have been driving an Alto and am used to the silence of a petrol engine. We also own a Safari Dicor 3L which after driving on the highway for about an hour makes me feel the fatigue due to the vibrations and engine sound. Also, you mentioned that the noise tends to increase at higher speeds, are you still witnessing this?

I have to travel quiet a bit due to my work so say 40% of my driving is on the highway with the other 60% being in bumper to bumper traffic for 35kms daily. So low or no fatigue is a must for me. As you mentioned earlier about the vibrations on the pedals and gear levers, which tend to give this fatigue, are you still witnessing this in your car?

About the noise dampning material that they use under the hood, did you manage to put one of those on to your's? The fuel efficiency seems to be no concern as of now with the proven TDCi engine. And you have already mentioned the performance being as good as the petrol 1.6 Ikon with a difference of the sound of a diesel engine. So those concerns are already put to rest by you. Only a few things and i guess the Ikon will be coming my home aswell.

Waiting for your reply.

Cheers.
Old 25th March 2009, 15:48   #109
BHPian

izzy, at this price, the Ikon is fantastic. I am a fairly spirited driver and I am getting upwards of 18kmpl before the first service. Engine is punchy and powerful enough, even with full load and AC. The only drawback is that the engine sound is a bit more than the Swift. It scores big time over the Swift on space, ride comfort and boot space. Driving position is also great, so are the seats. The interiors are better in the Swift though. I think it is surely worth the extra Rs.

The Getz is a performance hatch so am not comparing the two. Swift Dzire has a 6 month waiting so that's a huge -ve.
Old 25th March 2009, 16:35   #110

If there is a diesel car, then i guess there is no doubt that ill go in for the Ikon, the only concern has been with the sound and vibrations, that is whats making me consider switching over to a petrol car. And yes, me too am a driving freak, so once on the highways i usually make them do the best that they can, so with a petrol car fuel efficiency would be a problem. Just that ill have to consider altering my driving style in petrol one.

When you say it is a bit more noisy than the Swift, does it make you notice that by your self or do you have to pay attention to find that out. I think the Swift is a very nice car and it almost at times make you believe your driving a petrol one. Only if that was possible with the Ikon, god would have really blessed Ford. Yet, i guess it should'nt be as big a deal as long as you dont feel all drained after 4hours behind its wheels. What do you feel Proxima?
Old 25th March 2009, 17:13   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

@Izzy, I will say that @Proxima has answered your questions. Just to add to those points :

I have done about 400 km on the highway, and dont find the noise levels high or harsh now. The under-hood damping experiment will be done this weekend, so I will update you after that. If all goes well, it can be completed within 1k per car.

But the point to note is that, the vibrations & harshness are actually not really there. Those would have been a pain to fix, like the rattles in a swift. It's just the engine noise levels that we need to work on.

So, to say it again : Swift : it's the rattles. Getz CRDi : I have not tried it. But it fails on the VFM part, though would love those 100 horses. The Ikon has a good combination of power, handling, comfort, price, & space - at a very competitive price between these three. So as long as you dont look at it's "old" design, it is a good choice.

Last edited by condor : 25th March 2009 at 17:15.
Old 25th March 2009, 18:00   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
When you say it is a bit more noisy than the Swift, does it make you notice that by your self or do you have to pay attention to find that out.
It is audible when the glass is up as well. But you don't hear it when the ICE is playing even at low-moderate volumes.

Quote:
The Ikon has a good combination of power, handling, comfort, price, & space - at a very competitive price between these three. So as long as you dont look at it's "old" design, it is a good choice.
Bang on. Will await the your experiment with damping the car. One can also try using a better engine oil. Rippergeo had suggested OWS turboracing. Maybe that will improve the noise levels. I will PM ripper this thread's link.
Old 25th March 2009, 18:03   #113

Thanks a lot guys. As far as how it looks now, the ikon tdci is coming home.
Yes do update me on the damping experiment you'll be doing.

Cheers
Old 25th March 2009, 18:37   #114
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
It is audible when the glass is up as well. But you don't hear it when the ICE is playing even at low-moderate volumes.

Bang on. Will await the your experiment with damping the car. One can also try using a better engine oil. Rippergeo had suggested OWS turboracing. Maybe that will improve the noise levels. I will PM ripper this thread's link.
I'm no expert, all I have is my experience with OWS turboracing on the swift D. Noise levels are down, but dont expect miracles on that front.

Where you can expect miracles is- the way in which the engine revs, and the much slower rate of drop in revs when you take your foot off the accelerator.
Which I interpreted as less friction. This is a marked improvement over what Delvac MX or even mobil1 did to the engine.

I think its worth spending that much for an oil for the performance and protection.
The noise levels- I'm not so sure, I think damping will be more VFM
Also I cant honestly comment on noise levels because the current experiments being tried on my long suffering DDiS are actually to increase the noise made

@Izzy- dont discount the TDCi becase of the noise, its brilliant at everything else. You'll get used to the diesel drone soon enough, and then, like me, you'll be looking for ways to make it louder.

Last edited by rippergeo : 25th March 2009 at 18:43.

Old 25th March 2009, 18:51   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
rippergeo : Noise levels are down, but dont expect miracles on that front.
There will be a difference. Other options can be Synthetic oil, or even engine oil additivies. I have seen even additives help the engine sound levels, as seen on the truck.

Quote:
rippergeo : Where you can expect miracles is- the way in which the engine revs, and the much slower rate of drop in revs when you take your foot off the accelerator... Which I interpreted as less friction.
So dont be surprised if you seem to add spirits to your driving style !

Quote:
rippergeo : @Izzy- ... You'll get used to the diesel drone soon enough, and then, like me, you'll be looking for ways to make it louder.
You can take that as a warning !!

Last edited by condor : 25th March 2009 at 18:57.
Old 26th March 2009, 08:22   #116
BHPian

Sorry to gate crash late but where are the ICE setup pics and the seat covers pics. Getz and Verna share the same engine paltform and the noise levels are very very low due to the heavy noise dampning material that they use under the hood.
Old 26th March 2009, 09:37   #117
BHPian

How long was your TD? The TDCI is a TAD noisy when cold, but settles down to much lower noise levels after a few KMS.

I have clocked 800 Kms so far, the clutch is a bit hard though than the SWIFT ddis.

The Visibility compared to SWIFT is great, and very less blind spots.

Rest has been covered by Condor & Proxima.

Happy driving !
Old 26th March 2009, 11:22   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
sajands : Sorry to gate crash late but where are the ICE setup pics and the seat covers pics.

Getz and Verna share the same engine paltform and the noise levels are very very low due to the heavy noise dampning material that they use under the hood.
This weekend. (When you are a little busy with other things) .

Got to check the Verna's bonnet then. Any chance you'll be a lil free this weekend ?
Old 27th March 2009, 09:52   #119
BHPian

I have busted my Wiper programs and it has gone crazy, The wiper swipe goes beyond the windshield sometimes, or stops in the middle of the windshield.

This happened when i switched on the wipers and imm switched off instead of blinkers.

Iam taking it to the dealer today, and I hate the place
Old 27th March 2009, 11:00   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
This happened when i switched on the wipers and imm switched off instead of blinkers.
Should not be due to this : have often switched on the wiper & switched it off before the first cycle completes. (Caused by switching between the truck & the Ikon).

Where is the resting position now - normal, or mid-way ?

Meanwhile, a long shot: A reset may work. Disconnect the batter a while, to erase the wiper's memory settings. (remember - it has a programmable intermittent speed)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks