Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 10:54   #31
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Cannot change handles on TBHP. The car needs a new number plate. The dummies are next to the air intake - in-line with the fog lamps. they provide access to the horns and fog lamps. The car does look incomplete but the missing pieces are small - same size as the fog lamps.

Cheers,
The dummies cost about Rs. 250 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
You are welcome, but my hand stays away from that ESP button now.

Thanks for the tip about Pirelli. What repairs? I have not touched the car yet. I am waiting for the spoiler before I send it for servicing - 1 trip is better than 2!

Cheers and thanks guys,
Try the Yoko S-Drives in place of Pirelli, and Michellin. The S Drives or for that matter the Adnan Sport series are quite nice.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:47   #32
BHPian

Ravveendrra, the Pirelli's are usually imported from China and are more than 7-8 months from the mfg date. . One TBHP member dissuaded me from purchasing them for my RS as he had tried them. I settled for Continental; they are good. Quiet and grippy.
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ravvenndrra
I've noticed that the Mahavir used cars showroom is undergoing major renovation over the past 3 days. I think it is also the place for servicing Skoda cars, although there is another accident repair centre nearby.
I heard they are shifting from that place. Are you aware?
Old 14th April 2009, 01:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Another service (1st after the Pete's Box)

I sent in the car for a General service in the first week of April, as 6 months had elapsed since the last service. The odo reading was 23122 Km.The service was not indicated and is due only after another 6 months, but I wanted a few things done in the car.

1. Suspension check and wheel alignment if necessary.
(Suspension was lubricated)

2. Clutch plate and pressure plate to be changed alongwith bearing
(Done though the workshop thought it unnecessary & told me so)

3. Replacement of covers in front lost in an accident.
(Done)

4. Check for other accident damage particularly underbody and repair.
(Nil - No damage!)

5. Replace air-filter
(Done, now I have a new unused air filter as I moved to green cotton)

6. Washing & interior cleaning
(done)

7. Fitting a boot-lip spoiler (Part no.: FAA610003)
(Done)

Total cost came to Rs. 31,983/-.

The breakup is as follows:

Parts - Bearing (Rs.2268), Clutch plates (Rs.14069), Air filter element (Rs.743), 2 covers (Rs.415), Spoiler (Rs.7894) + VAT

Labour: Rs.3419/- including all taxes - for the following items - General checkup, Washing & Cleanig, Interior cleaning, Clutch replacement.

Today I replaced the tyres. Went in for Michelin Primacy HPs in stock size (205/55 R16). This seems to have solved all the issues I had with the handling and ride.

I shall post the effects of the various things I have done these past few weeks as soon as I get a clear impression of how they have affected my car.

Cheers,

P.S. @ Venu saab, Mahavir Auto have moved the Skoda showroom to Sanatnager (behind Concorde Motors workshop). They continue to have their Mercedes workshop in the old premises. I think they are moving their 2nd hand car shop to Secunderabad (Old Auto Chenoy premises).

Cheers again,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 14th April 2009 at 01:23.
Old 14th April 2009, 11:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update, Ravveenndrra. I was just curious to know why you've changed your clutch plates with only 23 K on the odo?
This apart, 23 K in 2 years seems to be low for a diesel car---not much higher than my 15 K in 2.1 years on the Fiesta.
How much did you ante up for the Michellins?
Old 14th April 2009, 13:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for the update, Ravveenndrra. I was just curious to know why you've changed your clutch plates with only 23 K on the odo?
This apart, 23 K in 2 years seems to be low for a diesel car---not much higher than my 15 K in 2.1 years on the Fiesta.
How much did you ante up for the Michellins?
The tyres cost about Rs.9250/- per piece. Details are my thread in the tyres section, asking for advice.

Yes my running is quite low and come down even more over the past few years. I went in for the Tank more for its handling and because it is a 'tank', rather than it's Diesel economy. Incidentally, even with the low running, I have not found the Tank to be unduly expensive and the FE is great too.

I had noticed that the clutch tended to slip around 3000 rpm when pushed really hard in low gears. After fitting the Pete's box, this tendency to slip became slightly more pronounced and was quite obvious when Arun & I were driving back from the airport after the Classic and Vintage car meet. I therefore decided to change the plates before the flywheel and other connected parts were affected. After their TD, by the service advisor and later the MD, the A.S.C. called to tell me that the clutch was OK. Knowing that they would not have pushed the car, I insisted. My guess is that the clutch would have lasted at least another 20K to 30K Km under 'normal' city driving. I think it is a hangover from the old days when I would have my left foot hover over the clutch pedal in city traffic that caused the problem. I now glue my left foot to the dead pedal!

Cheers,
Old 7th May 2009, 13:04   #37
BHPian

Would you have had to change the Clutch plate and pressure plate if you would have gone for the DSG version?
Old 7th May 2009, 13:21   #38
BHPian

no - the DSG's are more reliable statistically .....

I have read only good things about the DSG Box mostly on other forums.... that's the basis of my response...
Old 7th May 2009, 13:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Congrats on the order.
Have driven a Pete'd Octavia and it does feel pretty good in compared to the stock.

Being a deisel and the pete's box on offer , it is always better than a remap due to being reversible and not voiding any warranty.
How much was the Green Filter from Pete's?

OT : I'd still prefer a remap to a box - if the remap is conservative and done by a reputed remapping house..
Old 7th June 2009, 17:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Tank get a taste of 'Load Shedding'

I took the tank out to Vijayawada this week. It cantered along happily to cover the 300 Km in about 4.30 hours (with three generous breaks thrown in).

Later in the evening the cranking was weak and post dinner the battery just died. A call to the A.S.S. guys told me that Vijayawada did not have a 24 hr breakdown service, they did tell me that the car can be push started!

Next morning I trotted off to the closest Amaron pit stop and got the tank a new battery. It is a an Amaron Pro at Rs.7800/-. The battery is fully sealed and comes with a 30 month replacement warranty and a period of 20 months thereafter where I get a discount on the next purchase.

Cheers,
Old 7th June 2009, 20:43   #41
Team-BHP Support

Man these diesel cars have insanely expensive batteries which don't even last that long. What's the Ah rating for the battery?
Old 8th June 2009, 00:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Man these diesel cars have insanely expensive batteries which don't even last that long. What's the Ah rating for the battery?
The battery model is DIN74, it has a 75Ah rating. The Diesels require more robust batteries as they are more difficult to crank and also have heaters which use power before they can start.

Cheers,
Old 8th June 2009, 06:50   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Just curious. Bit OT, too. Does the battery die on you suddenly or does it give any hints for few days before RIP? How can one tell what battery model fits ones car?
Old 8th June 2009, 09:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Just curious. Bit OT, too. Does the battery die on you suddenly or does it give any hints for few days before RIP? How can one tell what battery model fits ones car?
The battery died after a drive of 300Km - may it RIP. It did not suffer long and showed no symptoms before it's death.

Cheers,
Old 8th June 2009, 09:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

great going. Amaron should last really long i guess. Last time when my battery died, it gave symptoms such as multiple cranks to get started. crank started to get slower response, remote lock giving slower response etc. got it replaced immediately.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks