Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 12:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Come to think of it, the Petra is still a competitive sedan. Torquey & quick 1.6 100 horses, robust suspension, outstanding ride quality and comfortable interiors.
Tell about it

Since last 3 months, I have been consciously trying hard to be a sedate driver on both 4 and 2 wheels. Last month, I was on the express highway, trying to curb instinct to floor the pedal, maintaining needle at sub-100 kmph most of the time. After driving for an hour at this speed, absolute *mad* rush of blood took over all of a sudden. (I suspect, it may have something to do with a Ford Fiesta 1.6 flying past). And within next few minutes, the needle was hovering past 180 and the whole world around transformed to be in slow motion with NHCs/ Vtecs/Lancers/Fiestas/Palios (and many others) zipping behind as if they were crawling in next lane. Fortunately, got back to my senses quickly and slowed down back to normal 100. Turned back to wife in rear seat and asked if she felt anything, she just shrugged off wondering what the fuss was all about.

It's a bloody gem of a machine. (And, I am still mentally kicking myself for that stupid rush of blood).
Old 9th February 2009, 14:08   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
And within next few minutes, the needle was hovering past 180 and the whole world around transformed to be in slow motion with NHCs/ Vtecs/Lancers/Fiestas/Palios (and many others) zipping behind as if they were crawling in next lane. Fortunately, got back to my senses quickly and slowed down back to normal 100. Turned back to wife in rear seat and asked if she felt anything, she just shrugged off wondering what the fuss was all about.

It's a bloody gem of a machine. (And, I am still mentally kicking myself for that stupid rush of blood).
@RX135: I have also had similar experience on NH-8....when 2 speeding Corollas cut me (I was going cool at 100) off and zupp....vanished! The dormant racer inside me activated all of a sudden and I taught those kids a lesson in no time....I overtook them at ~180....but after that within next 2-3 Km I slowed down and stopped my car on a Dhaba....smiling at those Schumi siblings as they passed by.
I have been having Petra 1.6 since Jun '04 and I love this car.

Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by deepgautam_qa : 9th February 2009 at 14:09.
Old 9th February 2009, 14:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Jraj, Fantastic narration of your love affair with Petra.

I guess all Fiat owners have the same story to share!

Last edited by finneyp : 9th February 2009 at 14:57.
Old 9th February 2009, 14:53   #19
BHPian

jraj,

that was a great read, only because i could see myself nodding and smiling with every word written there as i do understand the immense love one can shower on their FIAT. back in 01 my family got a brand new palio 1.2 elx, which is still doing duty and doing it really well. when i finished college i wanted to get a car and wanted one for cheap. i looked at some deals of zens and even considered a peugeot 309 but my heart finally agreed with my head and i bought myself a Fiat Uno 97 model used for 1 lakh. this was a petrol engine and it does even to this date return an acceptable FE of about 12 in blore city traffic.

My car and me have been the butt of numerous jokes amongst my friends as i had bought a fiat. but i guess i will never be happy buying any other brand. all my friends would fall over flat laughing if ever i end up buying a Hyundai or a Suzuki or a Toyota as i have accused these brands of losing the game and creating emotionless modes of transport.

my defining moment in the uno came when i drove the car 2 years back to chennai and got a whopping FE of 19 kmpl and even managed to clock and indicated 135 on the highway. the car is built like a tank and has taken a lot of abuse on blore roads by me.

i am now forced by family to sell my tank and buy a brand new car, and i have made my mind up that unless i can afford to maintain the uno and buy another fiat brand new i donot plan on selling this car. lesse how true this turns out to me. but i have been sold by this brand and yes i am proud to say that i am a fiat lover and will always be one.
Old 9th February 2009, 17:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Experience with the car
• Replaced complete suspension setup when the ODO read 32,xxx
• Clutch too was overhauled during the same time( I did this as the car was moving to TN to do duty as my parent’s place and I didn’t want to risk doing such major work at a unknown TASS).

Suspension replacement and clutch overhaul at 32K km looks pretty soon to me. the car seems to have taken a real bad beating at your /predecessor's hands.

Last edited by DieselFan : 9th February 2009 at 17:31.
Old 10th February 2009, 09:40   #21
BHPian

oops,my bad.Those work were carried at around 36,xxx.

In my case,I was told the clutch could carry on without any issues for another 3-4k.But as the car would be in Tuticorin and as the nearest Fiat sevice station would be ~160kms away,I decided to do it in Pune itself.

About it being too early,I dont have any comments on that,maybe fellow Fiat owner's can say.But I do remember seeing some mails on PUG with those work being done around the 35k - 40k range.
Old 10th February 2009, 09:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
oops,my bad.Those work were carried at around 36,xxx.

In my case,I was told the clutch could carry on without any issues for another 3-4k.But as the car would be in Tuticorin and as the nearest Fiat sevice station would be ~160kms away,I decided to do it in Pune itself.

About it being too early,I dont have any comments on that,maybe fellow Fiat owner's can say.But I do remember seeing some mails on PUG with those work being done around the 35k - 40k range.
I do agree with Dieselfan that suspension and clutch overhaul is a bit too early at 36k. I juSt overhauled the front suspension of my Uno at 1.07L for the first time. Rear is still going strong. As regards to clutch, the only expense I have incurred is the Master Cylinder which had to be replaced twice, average life being about 50k kms and the clutch release bearing. I suggest using the dead pedal/foot rest more.
Old 11th February 2009, 00:34   #23
BHPian

hey dude...
a nice review man!
straight from the heart.
iam a proud petra owner too and i second each and every point that you have mentioned.
it surely deserved much more success than what it did recieve.nevertheless it is an excellent buy in the used car market.
mine has run 36k and everything is still stock.i had a lpg kit fitted at 26k but since the price cut petrol seems suddenly affordable.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have also been using this car since 2005. It's actually badged as a Siena, but the shape is of the Petra. I was called the New Siena then. It's a 2002 ELX model with all the bells and whistles. It even has electric mirrors, cabin lights for the front and rear and also 2 reading lamps integrated into the C pillar. It had done 35K Km which I bought it (Rs.3L). The previous owner had maintained it so well that it still had the "New Car Smell" inside. He had not driven even a single Km without the AC, something I've also done till date. That 73K km all with the AC. I changed to Goodyear Eagle NCT1 tubeless tyres at 40K Km and they're still going strong. Will be changing then soon as they're already 4 year's old. The thread is still good though. Only 1 puncture till date. FE is 13Kmpl, a mix of city and highway. Fitted a Tartarini gas kit 2 years ago. Planning to upgrade the ICE soon followed by new tyres and Alloys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks