Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 13:16   #76
Senior - BHPian

vinay congratulations on the purchase. With regards to the features the list seems endless, I was in awe when I test drove the E6.

@Others please don't go by the 1st Swinging and Swaying TD report written earlier. Test drive the vehicle yourself and you might change your opinion. The only gripe I found was with the colors launched and the body roll which is persistent even in the Scorp' .
Otherwise the Xylo is an excellent VFM package for those looking at a MUV.
Old 11th February 2009, 14:11   #77
BHPian

Final Episode of the Mahindra Xylo E6 Review.

Space:

This is one of the vehicle's strong points and therefore deserves a separate section. Well, there's space everywhere, loads of it! Starting from the front, you have sufficient space in the dash glove box, on top of it and also under the seats. Yes, you can store all your luggage under all the seats. Under the driver's seat you get a lockable drawer enough to hold a normal sized laptop plus other stuff (only E6 and E8).

Apart from that, you have enough space under all the seats to hold normal sized suitcase/bags. The boot area if we can call it has the same space as the Innova. Additionally, the third and second rows can be folded to convert this car into a cargo carrier.

You also get two cup holders near the handbrake lever for the front row occupants, one bottle holder and two cup holders for the middle row which can be folded in. You also get a second 12v outlet for the second row. The cup holders also act as the lid for a storage compartment where you can keep small stuff.

The third row is something that surprised me the most. It gets a center arm rest that can be opened and folded back into the backrest like many luxury sedans. It has even got a bottle holder and two glass holders. When folded, it becomes a part of the backrest of the seat. The Xylo's third row does not feel like a third row. Its has by far the largest legroom I have seen in any of the MUVs or the SUVs. You guys wont believe, the third row can accommodate 4 normal sized persons if need be.

The spare tyre is mounted under the third row and can be accessed using the wheel spanner. You need to open a small rubber lid to access the bolt which when rotated using the spanner, slowly drops the spare tyre from the underbody. The jack, rod, spanner, toolbox and the triangular safty reflectors are all stored in a compartment on the left side of the third row. You also have a manual over-ride for the fuel tank opener there.

Engine Compartment:

Open the hood and you will be surprised with what you see there. This looks so much sophisticated. Everything laid out so much organized and in detail. The biggest thing you will see is the nude Intercooler that sits on top of the engine head. I haven't seen the mHawk but I guess its the same configuration. Its just that the scoop is avoided and the air flows from the front grill ducting to the ducts made integrated to the underside of the hood and opens up to the top of the intercooler. May by pics will explain this better.

I will have to add that the plastics have spoiled the party even here. Every thing plastic shouts of the cost saving quality its made out to. The oil cap, power stearing fluid reservoir, washer reservoir, brake oil reservoir etc, all of them look below par in quality. May be I am spoilt by the quality offered by Hyundai but still feel its below par.

Performance:

Take the driver seat in the Xylo and the first thing you notice is the outside view you get all around. The large windscreen and the height of the vehicle make you feel sitting very high up. Its a bit higher then even the scrop.

The innova's roof line comes just below half way of the Xylo's windows. Start the eagle and the refineness of the engine comes alive. There is very little engine rattle you will hear at idle. Although the engine noise is bit prominent when the engine is cold, it subsides as the temp picks up. Shift to the first gear and you will notice the same Scropio's tranny but a bit softened. This is a spectaculer improvement then the earlier boxes.

Release the clutch and the vehicle moves forward with a sudden urge. You feel the torque right from the beginning. Although, I am not able to enjoy the turbo zone as the turbo kicks in at around 1800 and I haven't gone above 1900-2000. But before even the turbo adds power, the eagle has that kick that I have been enjoying in my Viva crdi and seen a little bit in the mHawk too. I am sure when the eagle is unleashed, it will give me the same feel that I have been enjoying all through these years. The gearing is a bit long and you might not engage the top gear in the city ever unless you have a long empty stretch of road ahead. In 5th, the vehicle easily cruises at 90-95@2000 rpm. I tanked up the Xylo the same day and added the Liqiu-moly diesel additive provided with the vehicle, drove it around the city at normal speeds for around 40-50 kms and then the early next morning, took it on the highway. Tanked up again after around 250 Kms and I was amazed to see the FE figures! It was a staggering 17.1 Kmpl !

I am sure the Xylo will definitely deliver better FE after the runin and the first service is done. The DDAS on the other hand was showing 16 Kmpl so its somewhat accurate.

The body roll issue although present, can be ignored. I braked hard at 60 Kmph and could feel a little unbalanced but it wasn't as reported in some auto mags and elsewhere in this forum. It is expected from a vehicle of this dimensions to behave like this. The shape of the body also adds to this behaviour but its something which can never be termed unsafe.

One thing also not to be left out is that a Mahindra will always be a Mahindra. After I drove it on some of the potholed sections of the road for some 50 odd Kms, I could hear some rattling sounds from the driver side door. The issue is not a big one but still needs mention here. I am sure this will be sorted out in the first service itself but Mahindra should take care of these little things.

Will post the real performance report once I test it post run-in.

Now the time for my ratings:

build quality: 9/10
Fit and Finish (exterior):9/10
Fit and finish (interior):8/10 (poor plastics)
performance: 9/10
Overall package: 10/10

------------------------------------------

Last edited by vinayrathore : 11th February 2009 at 14:20.
Old 11th February 2009, 14:27   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Then why the rpm meter upto 7.
Its because the nature of the engine determines this. mEagle being a bit more rev happy, can be revved upto that mark and hence the tacometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss_now View Post
vinayrathore
Congratulations.
How decent is the trunk space if you fold the 3rd row? It will be wonderful if you can post a picture of the trunk with folded 3rd row.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
If you plan to do this , it would be even more helpful if you can place couple of suitcases in the folded area so that we get a clearer picture
Thanks guys! Will do so and more at the earliest!
Old 11th February 2009, 14:30   #79
Senior - BHPian

Nice review vinay & congrats on your new acquisition. A few photos of the engine bay & interiors would have been good though.
Old 11th February 2009, 14:32   #80
Senior - BHPian

Great review Vinay. Congrats on your passionate purchase. Ive been contemplating getting a Xylo too. I already have an Innova and am very very happy with it. I have a Versa which im contemplating swapping with a Xylo.

I loved the way you have described each aspect of the vehicle. Before I read your report, I was under the impression that the engine on the Xylo was the Mhawk offered on the new Scorpio. Let me tell you that it is your report that has made me tilt towards the Xylo. . If only it were offered in an Automatic, id jump to buy it.

Anyways im going for a test drive soon........!!

Thanks for such a detailed and no nonsense review. Good job!!
Old 11th February 2009, 14:40   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally posted by vinayrathore:
One thing also not to be left out is that a Mahindra will always be a Mahindra. After I drove it on some of the potholed sections of the road for some 50 odd Kms, I could hear some rattling sounds from the driver side door. The issue is not a big one but still needs mention here. I am sure this will be sorted out in the first service itself but Mahindra should take care of these little things.
Well my experience with my friend's scorpio, that I drove for couple of months (Brutally I might add over village non-roads) is that it is tough to shake anything in the car. It is rock solid!

Now the reason I bought the Innova and it is a bit funny - My mother couldn't get on board the Scorpio. Getting in and out for elder people is real tough in Scorpio and I am very curious to know, how the XYLO is in this regard.
Old 11th February 2009, 15:08   #82
BHPian

Very Useful ownership review

//Apart from that, you have enough space under all the seats to hold normal sized suitcase/bags. The boot area if we can call it has the same space as the Innova. Additionally, the third and second rows can be folded to convert this car into a cargo carrier.//

Vinay,
Until I saw your review on Xylo's under seat luggage space, only From the pictures of auto magazine reviews on the third row seat leg room space depicted with a person sitting, I was crudely judging the third row underseat luggage storage space from the person's ankle height to the space available under third row under seat space is suitable to keep two normal 24 inch VIP suitcases at the center & two airbags at each sides.

Your review has confirms and inspires me to seriously consider E6 Golden shade with black interiors without sky raks. I look for a family vehicle to seat 6 persons with their strategic luggages for fulfilling my mega dream of roaming India!

Please post detailed pictures of all the doors and finer aspects of Xylo interiors.

Any news heard from your dealer on the possibility of Xylo A/T coming in 2009??

Thanks for detailed review. Enjoy your ride.
Old 11th February 2009, 15:20   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Nice review vinay & congrats on your new acquisition. A few photos of the engine bay & interiors would have been good though.
Thanks esteem_lover! I will definitely post a pictorial. Gemme few days

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Great review Vinay. Congrats on your passionate purchase. Ive been contemplating getting a Xylo too. I already have an Innova and am very very happy with it. I have a Versa which im contemplating swapping with a Xylo.

I loved the way you have described each aspect of the vehicle. Before I read your report, I was under the impression that the engine on the Xylo was the Mhawk offered on the new Scorpio. Let me tell you that it is your report that has made me tilt towards the Xylo. . If only it were offered in an Automatic, id jump to buy it.

Anyways im going for a test drive soon........!!

Thanks for such a detailed and no nonsense review. Good job!!
Thanks V-16! Go for it buddy! I bet its the best you can get for the money you pay! I hear they have plans for a 4wd automatic version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhasin View Post
Well my experience with my friend's scorpio, that I drove for couple of months (Brutally I might add over village non-roads) is that it is tough to shake anything in the car. It is rock solid!

Now the reason I bought the Innova and it is a bit funny - My mother couldn't get on board the Scorpio. Getting in and out for elder people is real tough in Scorpio and I am very curious to know, how the XYLO is in this regard.
Dear sbhasin, even the xylo feels that solid. Its just a few rattels that i've seen in almost all the Mahindra's I have had till now. Even in Xylo, its almost non existant if compared to say the Bolero.

And yes, the Xylo is a tall car, its atleast a foot taller than the Innova if not much. I guess, if not like the scorpio, the ingress will be not as easy as the Innova. Its somewhere in between. The broader doors contribute to the easy access it provides. You also get very big grab handles just above the rear doors but they will not help in any way in climbing in the vehicle.

Cheers!

Last edited by vinayrathore : 11th February 2009 at 15:28.
Old 11th February 2009, 15:41   #84
Senior - BHPian

Good Review Vinay.
I like these kind of unbiased reviews which helps prospective buyers like V-16 to make up their mind and only on T-bhp we can expect such reviews(we all know how auto mags are).
17kmpl in run in period without first service is damn good!
Seems i have to take some time out and do a TD though am not interested in buying this but now am curious
Old 11th February 2009, 20:38   #85
BHPian

A very detailed and comprehensive review. Thank you Vinay.
I am in the market for a MUV, but the Xylo has not arrived in my town.
Maybe I should wait for it....

Thanks,
Teja
Old 12th February 2009, 12:25   #86
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review. It just might force some of us initial critics to do a rethink.
Old 12th February 2009, 12:54   #87
Senior - BHPian

Vinay, Congrats on the new buy & this has to be one of the best ownership reports that I've read on this forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
E6: Adds dual ACs with roof console, Vinyl + Fabric Seats, Remote Locking, Wheel Caps, Rear Wash Wipe & Demist, Intellipark Reverse Assist, Two dinn Audio system (with USB & SD Card), Ski Racks (Optional), Digital Drive Assist System (Trip computer,Speedo,Gear engaged), Electric ORVM & Body Side Moulding, Arm Rests, Lumber Support in captain seats, Contrast exteriors & Full floor Consol, front and back fod lamps

E8: Adds Alloy Wheels, Digital Drive Assist Sytem (full info including the selectable religious symbols and a compass), Reverse Fog Lamps, Foldable Flight Trays.
Didn't get the highlighted bits above - aren't they both referring to Rear Fog Lamps?
Old 12th February 2009, 14:57   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Vinay, Congrats on the new buy & this has to be one of the best ownership reports that I've read on this forum

Didn't get the highlighted bits above - aren't they both referring to Rear Fog Lamps?
Thanks Suman! I just mentioned what I saw in the car. And yes, they both (E6 and E8) come with front and rear fog lamps.
Old 12th February 2009, 15:50   #89
BHPian

Hi Vinay,

Congrats on your new car and thanks for the fantastic buyer's first hand report.
I am sure it has helped a lot of people to consider the Xylo and others like harry10 and me a lot more curious about the car. I am sure to do a TD this weekend.
Btw I read that the Xylo's bottle holders and glove box have a different color inside.
And is that rectangular gear knob as hard to hold as some people have made it out to be.
Old 12th February 2009, 17:18   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
Hi Vinay,

Congrats on your new car and thanks for the fantastic buyer's first hand report.
I am sure it has helped a lot of people to consider the Xylo and others like harry10 and me a lot more curious about the car. I am sure to do a TD this weekend.
Btw I read that the Xylo's bottle holders and glove box have a different color inside.
And is that rectangular gear knob as hard to hold as some people have made it out to be.
Thanks Anthym! Yes, I forgot to mention! Mine has a bit odd light purple. Its something none in the family liked.

I have forgotten to mention a few things like the vanity mirror comes with lights (ladies would like it), a small compartment for your goggles just above the front cabin lights (just like the Indigo but a bigger one). Even the trip meter in the analogue speedo tells distance travelled with and without AC. When the AC runs while the vehicle is stationary, it take the units as minutes. Somthing unique to this vehicle.

Most Viewed