Team-BHP - Skoda Octavia vRS woes
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Octavia vRS woes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/53413-skoda-octavia-vrs-woes-2.html)

The 1.8t's are known to fail at around 35k miles, so 52k would be about it. You could buy an aftermarket pump with metal impellers that won't break. Also, the timing belt is a known issue, and it's good that Skoda is being proactive and changing it at 50k kms.

The Baleno 60k service also recommends a timing belt change.

i like the fact that they are pro active :)
7K for a water pump is not bad too..
V1p3r what other niggles can once expect from this engine ?
Id love to know more ! cause i want one :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool (Post 1170747)
Id love to know more ! cause i want one :)

And cause i know one.

THANKS A LOT!immortalZ & 1self . both the articles are very informative.

now i really understand the sigificance of changing the timing belt for this engine. until now i was under the impression thet the tdc of the piston cannot co incide with the position of the valves when fully open.
thats why i was wondering as what the big deal was, as in what serious damage can happen if the timing belt snaps,
NOW I KNOW!

this vital bit of information has cleared all my doubts and suspicion, even when ishaan,ajmat,pete and everybody were warning me abt the timing belt and the consequential damage i was thinking " how can there be so much damage?"

this vital bit of info is not anywhere in the manual and neither do the service advisors know of it( not that i expect them to know,lol)

now i am really glad i am getting the timing belt changed.

i did consider getting a diff water pump with metal impellor , but the service center guys will not fit an outside part for me , and i cannot get the car out of there with the broken water pump , i will have to tow it again , so i am going with the skoda auto spare part.
so once again thanks a lot everybody.

hey v1p3r ,ajmat, lets meet up sometime , lets have a vRS meet

I replaced the timing belt at 62000 kms. It started causing a racket around that time and it was impossible to drive with the sound. Also got the water pump checked at that time - was in perfect condition. It's been 8000 kms after that, all's great.

I got it done from a private garage but by a mechanic who works in a Skoda dealership. :D

YouTube - Premier Padmini V/s Octavia vRS

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddartha (Post 1179725)

ha ha ha , this is too good, i am sure there are tears in the skoda!

Any update - you should be back on the road by now!

ye , the car is back,havent had the time to put a full write up .
guess what? the wipers and the windsheild washer failed to work after the service, checked the fuses , fuses were ok , so i guess there is a wiring problem or may be rats. so the car is back at vinayaka as i type this out.

One problem area which i gather (ajmat also mentioned in his post), this engine is at a higher level of tune and apart from the internals, other parts are overstressed and have a tendency to fail. But sad that VW & Skoda hasnt resolved this by putting in higher tolerance parts to resolve the same.

For a car manufacturer, resolving timing belt and water pump issues should be very minor from an investment perspective.

hey called up petes .But he told me it need to be changed only at 80 in the odo.And also went to the skoda authorised worksop.They said TB is ok and no need to change now.I have done 55000 in the odo.

yes jaggu , these are minor faults which can be very well sorted out very easily, also like i said in another thread , if skoda can train their techical staff and service advisors well , customers can have a lot of clarity on a lot of issues.

and with regards to the "overstressed " parts , we are just talking abt the stock cars , so i dont know what kind of problems the modded cars ,(stages 1,2,3,and the "500 bhp etc ) are facing?

hafi-
as per the service schedule specified for india , the tb needs to checked at 90k kms and replaced at 180k kms , but the water pump in my car failed (supposedly a common occurance),and since a lot of the same things which have to be removed in order to access the water pump , i was advised to change the timing belt and tensioner pulley as well . as i have mentioned earlier , i did take a look at the tb and there was no visible indications of wear or an impending failure, but hey most often than not the timing belt does fail without any indications .

with that perspective , and also having heard lot of stories about premature timing belt failures and the severe consequential damages to the engine and hence more severe monetary damages , i went in for an early timing belt change.

also when i spoke to pete , he said " might as well change it when you are replacing the water pump."

read the posts abt the "interference engine" , thats what really helped me decide to change the tb+tensioner.

anyway , the car is running mighty fine now , except for some slight vibrations at low revs , i guess some cover /shroud or something hasnt been tightened to the reqd torque , which is causing the vibrations, will try to get that resolved at the next service , cant keep goin back to the service center every 3 rd day.

the jobs carried out and my estimation of the costs in my earlier post , worked out pretty much the same .

hey ajmat , thanks again , i did get that extra bit of attention from the service guys , coz of you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddartha (Post 1170346)

monetary damage:(approx figures )

waterpump - 7k
timing belt - 3k
timing belt pulley - 4k
labour+consumables+coolant etc - 3 to 4 k.

Are you sure about the cost figures?,Because when i asked the authorized people here at Cochin(Marikar),what they said was the that the timing belt kit alone(timing belt + pulley) cost around 30k:Shockked:.Why is it costly here.Plus does this kit mean only timing belt and pulley or is there more?

Hafi

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAFI (Post 1207724)
Are you sure about the cost figures?,Because when i asked the authorized people here at Cochin(Marikar),what they said was the that the timing belt kit alone(timing belt + pulley) cost around 30k:Shockked:.Why is it costly here.Plus does this kit mean only timing belt and pulley or is there more?

Hafi

yes , i am very sure of the prices , coz thats how much i actually paid , dont go by what the service advisor says verbally , ask him to show you the pricelist of the spare parts . 30 k is a very loose figure , i dont think there can that much difference between cochin and bangalore.. the tb + tensioner + water pump is available as a kit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddartha (Post 1208312)
yes , i am very sure of the prices , coz thats how much i actually paid , dont go by what the service advisor says verbally , ask him to show you the pricelist of the spare parts . 30 k is a very loose figure , i dont think there can that much difference between cochin and bangalore.. the tb + tensioner + water pump is available as a kit.

I asked him again,he said a single pulley might cost 4000.There are a total of 3 pulleys , hence 4*3= 12k.And one more thing,is it necessary to change the water pump along with the tb?