Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 12:52   #76
BHPian

I guess it is Shawar...!!!! Can he do the job, since it will be near my place, preference would be given, if they can do the TB job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
Am not surprised, got two different quotes on the same day for 18k & 21k for this job from Vinayak itself.
Guess, they quote a bit higher just for contingency sake, when you call them on the prices. Vinayak are much better then Tafe though on all counts.

No idea on the Jaymahal road, is it Shawhar you are referring to?

Cheers
Old 7th January 2010, 11:52   #77
BHPian

Aditya,

For timing belt replacement, suggest you get it done from Vinayak itself, considering it is a precision job. Worth the extra bucks always.

For regular servicing & all other odd jobs, you can go to any independent.
I have gotten a few services done outside @ my friends Bosch Multi brand and the cost difference(with Synthetic oil) is about Rs, 1000-1250/- vis-a-vis Vinayak. For regular servicing, I wouldn't want to go all the way to Vinayak.

No idea about Shawhar though.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
I guess it is Shawar...!!!! Can he do the job, since it will be near my place, preference would be given, if they can do the TB job.
Old 25th July 2010, 15:15   #78
BHPian

Ok, I'm back with more news. My second gearbox housing is about to go. This time i'm planning on taking it up with Skoda Aurangabad, and if they ignore it, i'll probably head towards the consumer forums.

Just for the record, check out the links below. the Gearbox housing issue is causing by a rivet failure which seems to be a design flaw.

Taxi Driver Online :: View topic - skoda gearbox
Audi and Volkswagen 02K Transmissions

Skoda Octavia 1.9 sdi (DUU) FREE FITTING/DELIVERY on eBay (end time 26-Jul-10 05:00:20 BST)

VW GEARBOX VOLKSWAGEN GEARBOXES VW GEARBOX PARTS AUDI SEAT SKODA GEARBOXES 02K DUU DUS DLP ERT

its a problem with many gearboxes of the VAG group cars. I am surprised that many people haven't faced it. Or is it that many people call it a general gearbox failure and dont notice the problem?

I'll post pics of my old housing soon. and that of my new housing once it goes.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:42   #79
BHPian

throttle body issues

Facing some problems from past 3 months or so,( had the same issues on my last track day )

Problem started at MMST, the engine stalled thrice at C2, the EPC light would come ON and the engine would die.

At that point, didnt know what the problem was, disconnecting the battery and reconnecting would solve the problem temporarily. i did this many a times. At that point i thought it was a problem with the MAF sensor. (maybe too much oil in the green cotton filter).

The car would generally jump into limp mode , followed by the EPC light and sometimes the CEL light. the stalling and engine dying at low revs continued. and yes the idling would never stay steady. there would be jerks at slow speeds.

When the car was sent to vinayaka cars for a service, they said they have cleaned the throttle body and the MAF sensor.
the throttle pedal was also supposedly cleaned/adjusted.they did a VAS SCAN and i was told some errors had shown up and they have been deleted and there should be no such problems.

Also, at this service, the front wheel bearings were changed (both L &R side) as there was a slight rubbing/grinding noise from the right side one.
set of wheel bearings costed rs 5684/- and the labour for this particular job was rs 2000/-. fuse box was changed for the second time and the alternator cable.

After that , things were fine for few days. But then the same issues started. i just continued driving around with these niggling problems as i had no time or the patience or even the will to take the car back . i was quiet pissed with it.

Finally , last week i sent the car back to vinayaka with very specific instructions that these and only these issues be looked at and sorted.

after abt 3days , the service advisor called and said that there is a problem with the throttle body and that it costs abt 30K. He just gave me the indicative price with a subtle suggestion of replacing it. The repeated disconnection of the battery may have messed up the TBA, but wont that set itself right after few seconds/hour/days whatever .. after turning the engine on.

Obviously, i am not intrested in changing the TB, so i told him to check with skoda's technical people with regards to the TB alignment/adaptation. This took them abt 2 days. The service advisor reverted today saying that TBA has been done, along with cleaning the couplers/connectors and the spark plugs. After the road test, he says that the EPC light hasnt come on , but the idling is still slightly unstable.

i told him that i really want the issues to be sorted and that they can keep the car as long as they please. Told him to get back to his so called skoda technical team. will be getting some feed back tomorrow.

also i asked the service guy to send me the error codes which have shown up, with regards to which i can consult/research. he refused saying that its some internal stuff and he cannot tell me. but also very assuringly told me not worry and that he will do the best that he can to fix the issues.

i hope/wish to draw AJIT MATHEW'S attention to this thread, so that he may throw some light on this.

Has anyone else faced similar problems? is it common? and what needs to be done?

Last edited by siddartha : 11th November 2010 at 16:55.
Old 11th November 2010, 19:49   #80
BHPian

Hi Siddartha, sad to hear repeated problems in your car. Looks like all the trouble is due to dealership incompetence to rectify the same.

I strongly feel the dealership is unable to decode the error codes, the reason given that it being internal stuff is simply hogwash. I am sure @Ajmat should be able to rescue you, do keep us posted of the outcome.

I was under the impression that Vinayak was one capable service center, sad to hear their technical incompetence. Skoda owners should just pray that their cars don't malfunction after the warranty period, all the service does is to replace any and every part.
Old 11th November 2010, 21:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
Problem started at MMST, the engine stalled thrice at C2, the EPC light would come ON and the engine would die.

Has anyone else faced similar problems? is it common? and what needs to be done?
Sounds like you have a bad ICV which is either clogged or no functioning. Cleaning throttle body is absolutely useless because it is not a part of the idle circuit.
Start with decarbing the ICV and verify if it working properly.

If that doesn't work, then you may have a vaccum leak somewhere (PCV?)

Last edited by Mpower : 11th November 2010 at 21:17.
Old 12th November 2010, 16:50   #82
BHPian

It seems some technical guy from skoda is going to be visiting vinayaka cars on monday and he will take a look at the problem. so lets see. if possible, i will try and make a visit when he is there.

@v.anand : i strongly agree with you. it surely is the incompetance of the service center coupled with an attitude which only cares abt how many cars roll out each day and how many lakhs worth of spares has been sold.

@mpower - thank you, i did ask the service advisor to check the ICV today. i was told that they had already checked all the vacuum hoses.

@ajmat - cant thank you enough for that phone call, very kind of you.
Old 12th November 2010, 19:10   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I
@ajmat - cant thank you enough for that phone call, very kind of you.
No probs, as you see t-bhp is always there to help! Am going to Vinayak tomm. Who is your service advisor?
Old 13th November 2010, 13:22   #84
BHPian

service head is PRASAD
service advisor is VISHWANATH
Old 16th November 2010, 14:22   #85
BHPian

update

the so called technical guy from skoda has still not visited vinayaka cars.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:49   #86
BHPian

"Persuade" the service advisor to give you a printout of the error codes and post them on BRISKODA forum. There is a wealth of knowledge amongst the forum members and what they suggest, you can pass on to the local guys.
Old 17th November 2010, 13:48   #87
BHPian

Sid,

All this is a lil scary to read.
Old 17th November 2010, 18:08   #88
Team-BHP Support

Can you get the car out, run it till the fault appears and let me take a read ?
Old 17th November 2010, 18:14   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the so called technical guy from skoda has still not visited vinayaka cars.
Just to make sure I understood, your car is runs fine when its at high revs but does not run at idle and when foot is off the accelerator. ???
Old 19th November 2010, 13:37   #90
BHPian

on 17th , the service advisor called me and it was the throttle body alignment problem and it has been set right. so i went there in the evening to check.

i took a short test drive( roughly 3 km). the idling was quiet steady, but there still was minor fluctuations. i took delivery of the car so that i could drive it around for a while and check properly.

On the drive back, as i was nearing indiranagar, the same damn thing happened , the engine died, the EPC light came on. i coasted to the side of the road. pulled the key out, waited for 30 seconds and cranked.
when this happens it takes a long time start, as in.. atleast 8 to 10 seconds of cranking. once it started the EPC LIGHT went off and i continued to drive back.

Later that evening, after the traffic cleared up, i wanted to check if things were ok at higher revs. redlined in 1st and 2nd a few times.this is what i noticed ..
1. the car felt a lil slower.
2. as i accelarated thru 2nd gear, i felt there was a flat spot between 3000 rpm and 4000 rpm and then it was fine all the way up to redline.
before it would be seamless all the way to redline once the turbo kicked in.
3. before my 2nd to 3rd shift at redline would be between 115 kmph and 120 kmph. this time round it was showing between 110 - 115 kmph.

also the car stalled one more time. this time after restarting the EPC light went of but the CEL/MALFUNTION light continued to stay. the car wouldn rev beyond 4500 rpm.

sent the car back to vinayaka yesterday morning. The CEL contiued to stay on . need to call them today and check.

@mpower - yes there are no issues at higher revs, the problem is when i slow down and try to accelarate again at slow speeds when the engine is at idle rpm. it idles, the engine doesnt die as soon as i take the foot of the pedal. once i take my foot of the pedal for a while (while slowing down for signals,taking turns etc when the road speed is between 5 - 15 kmph) and then try to accelarate again is when the problem occurs.

@ajmat - i wish i could do that. usually the lights go off upon restarting. next time the lights stay on, i will surely give you call.
hopefully my inconvience is at your time of convience.

@hari - and very very annoying! if these things had to happen at higher speeds or when i was overtaking, id be a dead man.

@bomi - yes, this time i have really persuaded the service advisor to give me the fault codes.

will update shortly.

Last edited by siddartha : 19th November 2010 at 13:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks