Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 17:34   #31
BHPian

i think black is the best colour on safari if you getting a VX., white for EX and silver for lx model looks cool.

anyways black looks awesome. it would be my first choice on safari anyday. congratulations. its quite a beast. looks great!!!
Old 16th February 2009, 21:42   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

WOW! Another 4X4 safari! I think TML should start making a "T-BHP 4X4 EDITION" for the safari( Ratan Tata ji, u reading this?). Might as well give us guys some more exclusivity. As it is, i suppose a LOT of them are bought by us T-bhpians( buying one is my top priority too. If only i wasn't just 19 n still in college but earning )
Anyways, bj96 IMO thats the best color for safari. Now lets get her dirty.
Old 17th February 2009, 17:45   #33
BHPian

many congrats, asejwal

Hey ! many many congrats! How does it feel to own the beast? reclaiming your life?
Do share your experiences with me. I've done a 3500KM on mine. Should be writing a report soon.
Tell me if u feel these issues with the beast:
1. At 80+ speed, Driver and opposite side window makes strong hissing sound like the window glass has been left partially open.
2. Steering makes a hissing sound at full tilt on both sides.
3. Dashboard buttons go on and off in different ways. Some remain depressed while on, others come back to original position after on.
4. The vehicle is slightly tilted towards its right side(driver's side)
5. Front window motors sound very strained while rolling up the glass.
6. There is a lot of vibration in lower gears and also if u drop speed in heigher gear and then try and accelerate without changing gears.
7. Gearshift and clutch pedal is harder than expected.
8. Slight pulse is felt in the clutch while removing foot from it or when half depressed.
If possible, meet up we can swap our beasts for a ride and check if the problems are common or specific.
members, please share ur views regarding these things.
thanks
Old 17th February 2009, 20:09   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Another couple of things (see pic below) if you guys can advice upon:

a) Noticed a "wide" plastic cover on the right (driver side) front wiper arm. Not present on other wipers. What is this?
Congrats bj96 and wishing you a safe and happy drive. On to your question:

a) This is a 'spoiler' that keeps the wiper and wiper arm pressed against the windshield at high speeds for effective cleaning/wiping.

Rgds,

R2D2
Old 17th February 2009, 20:14   #35
BHPian

congrats on your purchase, bj96! Happy motoring!

Quote:
4. How do you guys protect the "Safari" spare wheel cover from prying eyes? I heard it has a good demand (even with t-bhpians too ) and hit with thieves?
As for me, using a tiny lock that holds the two zippers together (not that these zippers are any hard to break apart. , but still.. hehe)
Old 17th February 2009, 20:41   #36
BHPian

the thing about a dirty safari is that you can get away with it. lolz

if your friends ask you dude!!! what happend to you car. its sooo dirty. you just go ahead and say well i was offroadin last weekend. did some doughnuts and silly stuff it was awesome.

chicks dig this and your friends will think you are cool lmao. its only car which looks cool when its dirty.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:06   #37
BHPian

My replies in bold, Abhiknov...

@Abhiknov

Hey ! many many congrats! How does it feel to own the beast? reclaiming your life? Thank you...
Do share your experiences with me. I've done a 3500KM on mine. Should be writing a report soon. Shall await with bated breath!
Tell me if u feel these issues with the beast:
1. At 80+ speed, Driver and opposite side window makes strong hissing sound like the window glass has been left partially open. Yes, I too face the same issue...
2. Steering makes a hissing sound at full tilt on both sides. It does but then it is so much better than my Sierra's P.S. The Sierra makes a much worse hissing sound with it's P.S. at full tilt!
3. Dashboard buttons go on and off in different ways. Some remain depressed while on, others come back to original position after on. No such issue in my vehicle...
4. The vehicle is slightly tilted towards its right side(driver's side) Mine seems to be O.K. till date.
5. Front window motors sound very strained while rolling up the glass. They are all quite smooth according to me but it should be having both Express Up as well as Down. As of now, it only has the Express Down facility!
6. There is a lot of vibration in lower gears and also if u drop speed in heigher gear and then try and accelerate without changing gears. You have driven the Indica before this - I believe this is an issue with almost all diesel cars, the vibration and ambient sound levels are higher and if you do not maintain the proper speed/gear ratio, then it gets worse. My Sierra also has the same behaviour hence I know how to live with it.
7. Gearshift and clutch pedal is harder than expected. Not really - you have to floor the clutch pedal completely and then shift; with a person as tall as you, this shouldn't be a problem.
8. Slight pulse is felt in the clutch while removing foot from it or when half depressed. Not an issue with my vehicle...
If possible, meet up we can swap our beasts for a ride and check if the problems are common or specific. Yes, will definitely do this - allow me some time; am caught up with few things; will get back to you!
members, please share ur views regarding these things.
thanks
Old 18th February 2009, 12:19   #38
BHPian

Hi Abhiknov,

My reply is in bold against each question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiknov View Post
1. At 80+ speed, Driver and opposite side window makes strong hissing sound like the window glass has been left partially open.
2. Steering makes a hissing sound at full tilt on both sides. Some steering hiss at full tilt is normal on the Safari. There was a slight hiss in my Indica as well but is louder on this vehicle.
3. Dashboard buttons go on and off in different ways. Some remain depressed while on, others come back to original position after on. Havent noticed that on my beast. But then maybe I need to take another look!
4. The vehicle is slightly tilted towards its right side(driver's side) Not in my Safari. Incidentally my Indica has had that slight tilt on the drivers side since it was about a year old. Never bothered much with it as it wasnt really noticeable and didnt seem to affect anything.

5. Front window motors sound very strained while rolling up the glass. Mine is OK. Maybe you need to get the channels replaced or cleaned.
6. There is a lot of vibration in lower gears and also if u drop speed in heigher gear and then try and accelerate without changing gears. Was a bit of an issue when new. However is dramatically improved now (7000 kms +)During the running in the engine flexibility seems to improve significantly with use.
7. Gearshift and clutch pedal is harder than expected. Clutch is almost the same as my petrol Indica. Gear throws are longer but except first gear is not really harder.
8. Slight pulse is felt in the clutch while removing foot from it or when half depressed. Not in my Safari. Since it is a Hydraulic clutch, maybe you need to bleed out any air from the system. Could also be why your clutch is harder.
Old 18th February 2009, 13:13   #39
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm! No decals, no marking legends and a different spare wheel cover! I hate to say this but I fervently hope the vehicle was not involved in some accident wherein the dealer repaired the doors and the back/rear portion.
Old 18th February 2009, 14:32   #40

Hi bj96/asejwal,

What was the OTR price for your cars? I am planning to buy one too (in a week or so)?
Old 18th February 2009, 14:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a) Noticed a "wide" plastic cover on the right (driver side) front wiper arm. Not present on other wipers. What is this?
It is allegedly to keep the windshield wiper pressed to the glass when in use at high speeds. Seen these on my Jag and my Land Rover too - the explanation was provided by the Jag/LR dealer here.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:12   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanshughia View Post
Hi bj96/asejwal,

What was the OTR price for your cars? I am planning to buy one too (in a week or so)?
The only discount that is being offered on 2009 models is the 6.5k on account of extended warranty...My Ex 4x4 has cost me somewhere around 10.65 - U'll have to check your city prices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
It is allegedly to keep the windshield wiper pressed to the glass when in use at high speeds. Seen these on my Jag and my Land Rover too - the explanation was provided by the Jag/LR dealer here.
Exactly! That's the purpose for which it holds itself there...
Old 18th February 2009, 15:31   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejwal View Post
The only discount that is being offered on 2009 models is the 6.5k on account of extended warranty...My Ex 4x4 has cost me somewhere around 10.65 - U'll have to check your city prices!
Right! This info would still be useful. Thanks
Old 18th February 2009, 22:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

No discounts on Safari range

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejwal View Post
The only discount that is being offered on 2009 models is the 6.5k on account of extended warranty...
In addition to ext warranty, I managed to get 6k corporate discount. The car is registered in wife's name. Her company figures in TML's corp discount list, My employer does not Aparently, there is a strict instruction from TML, not to offer any other discount on Safari line. This was echoed by all three dealers I spoke to in my city.

Biggest gain was 50% NCB transferred from my Wagon-R. Insurance premium reduced from ~37k to about 16k.

My truck's OTR is ~12.7L.
Old 18th February 2009, 23:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Specious theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Hmmm! No decals, no marking legends and a different spare wheel cover! I hate to say this but I fervently hope the vehicle was not involved in some accident wherein the dealer repaired the doors and the back/rear portion.

I don' t believe so.

- Had accident from both right and left side. No decals on both door?
- Accident from rear too?
- No signs of dent or color mismatch anywhere on the body.
- TML plant tag?
- Engine bay looks as new as it could get
- Chassis (under body) looks as new too
- Vehicle handles normal
- Dealer got vehicle in yard on Saturday (TML sales certificate and gate pass) around noon.
- I brought it home on Sunday. By 11 AM I was at their showroom.
- Not sure how they would manage to replace all three doors and fix the cage/ladder frame in < 24hours?

Btw...
- VX logo is fixed at the rear today with number plate.
- 4x4 decal is ordered from TML
- The meaning of "no order" was explained to me that vehicle was manufactured by TML without any confirmed order, which they "forgot" to remove while sending out of factory.

Considering TMLs reputation of PDI I would like to imagine it was a genuine human mistake rather than "human cheating"... anyways ignorance is bliss

-BJ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks