Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

My Used Cars Saga

A lustrous, spotless,plastic-smelling new car is unmatched for some, but according to my BUCKnor(I am not independant financially) it is best outsourced to fellow citizens around (CPO-Car Process Outsourcing).They do the research, buy it after a bargain, pay the tax, run-in, maintain and then sell it at a discount to potential customers like me.

The first such car was the fiat uno. Everyone bad-mouthing a car brand renders it too good for the used market,and a 2001 1.7 ELX with 72k on odo was ‘asked’ 1.5 Lakh. A quick inspection ofthe body and under chassis revealed good maintenance and the deal was done.

It ran for another 30k km, and aslife gets monotonous and dull, only the blood of our (t-bhp) kind escapades on a change of the wheel. The Uno is amazingly frugal to own; except for PS oil seal change (Rs.2k with labour-private garage). Earlier TVS demanded 22k forthe box replacement, and now you know why it is difficult to awake the deadhorse (fiat India).

The isuzu engine of the tavera iswell acclaimed, so thought of buying the B3 model (BUCKnor agreed). GM guys were asked to evaluate the Uno. Now, one geezer comes in a black pulsar and a black glass, chewing a gum (trying to put up a geek image). He took it for a spin,removed the rubber beading of doors, examine the underchase et al. Then opening the bonnet, he pulls the oil dipstick and then raises the throttle and checks for any oil spilling up. Then he opened his mouth.

“Accident car this is…also engine no compression…engine work…”

I asked him what he is meaning by that…-“When a diesel engine gives 21.xx kmpl always, with 5 people, pullingeffortlessly, with no smoke or oil consumption, what no compression?”
He started, “I am a mech engineer,and I know engines of Benz, BMW…..”
I intervened, “So what’s the deal?”
He: “not more than 80k”

Also, GM guys comes to his rescue:“saaar…phiyat caaar saar..no market saaarrr…”

Adieu guys.

Scouting for another used car, BUCKnor came across a 2002 Ford Ikon 1.8D, with 65k on odo. Now MS says, “ Ram..see unois 1.7…this is 1.8..good isn’t it..”
The price quoted was 2.7L.

The way Uno was groped by the‘Engineer’ taught me some lessons.

1)Inspect the glasses first. All glasses should have thesame tint/colour, brandname, year of manufacture.
2)The oil dipstick quagmire.
3)I insisted that the TO form be signed in my presence.

But the deal was done, as BUCKnor was satisfied of the TN-38 registration (coimbatore).

Took it to Ford SS. I asked the service manager to check for the database. The last service was done a month back, but with 112k Km on the odo.

Ford 1.8 Endura diesel engine is said to last for about 2-2.5L Km without opening up, so the extra mileage run was not a worry. Also, the entire service history was there at ford, so a payoff even after getting a raw deal from the dealer.

Ford service is a big-ticket, but a satisfying one. The A/C fan bearing packed up and there was oil leak from the brake vacuum booster. As for ford, Repair = Replace, bill came at around 17k (parts came from Chennai by the afternoon Jet airways and car delivered within hours).

The car is still running fine with90k(140k) on odo and no major works.Service cost is around 4 to 5k.

Meanwhile the Uno was sold-off through TASS when one of my relativewanted to buy a Tata Spacio for his factory. It fetched 1.27L.

The sight of any Uno leaves me heavy-hearted. Even BUCKnor bemoaned the ford comparing it to the Uno. He now asked me about my choice...FIAT

A 2003 palio D ELX, with alloys and185 tyres, was asked 2L. An enquiry at coimbatore got me the ‘going’ rates as 2.2 to 2.5L. (Here at coimbatore, the going is always high. Dealers make a quick buck by buying from Chennai selling it here).

The car had dimples and nicks, yet overall it looked good. The angled rear of the Uno was maintained in the Palio,and I liked the rear lights too…

1)All glasses bore the FIAT-PILKINTON-MADE IN BRAZIL mark.
2)No pick-up or other performance issues.
3)Interiors were spotless.
4)Ride was pleasant. (With 80k on odo, it indicates good maintenance)
5)Owner needed Sub. I don’t need it, but I need to cover-up.
6)Bonnet open: There was a mild breeze of smoke coming from the intake side of the engine. I enquired about it. Owner told that it was from the diesel sprayed on the engine at service.

7)AC cooled well.
8)One issue I forgot to check was the exhaust smoke.

Deal.

While returning, I could see smoke pile-up behind the car from the rear view mirror. It was horrendous black smoke, with carbon soot spewn out from the exhaust. But for the 700 km driven the FE was around 16-17(+185 tyre) so I did not worry about the engine condition.
As expected, there was another Diwali at home. Even the 3 year old kid would run away if I went near the car because of the smoke.

Went to TVS. Asked them to adjust timing (ECU reset), and clean the injectors... voila..no smoke…! A timing belt change was advised, and bill was at 15k (adjuster bearing, tensioner…). “Engineis pretty good”

This 1910cc IDI diesel is asking adiesel filter worth 1300 bucks.The 137D’s local mechanic said that he can alter it to use the Siena1.7TD’s filter, as it costs around 350 bucks…I am thinking…

I like this engine very much…like a locomotive it pulls…5th gear ratio should have been taller..but okfor speeds upto 90/100 kmph, and like the GM Astra TD, it is so confident taking higher speeds/rough roads.

My apprehensions:

1)What is this oil dipstick stuff? What to conclude ifoil spills out from it? Local Mech says something about compression.
2)Can I alter the diesel filter for the palio D? Anyrepercussions?
Attached Thumbnails
My Used Cars Saga-100_5149.jpg  

Last edited by ramzsys : 23rd February 2009 at 19:42. Reason: improve readabilty
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:19   #2
BHPian

First time i am hearing about this oil-dipstick thing.perhaps someone can throw more light into it.

Btw how is the service of tvs in coimbatore?
Old 25th February 2009, 18:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

TVS is now 'my TVS' service is ok, but you feel 'disconnected' from your car there..

autozone cbe is my choice..a 5 minute checkup is all they need and they get the car inside out.
Old 25th February 2009, 18:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about the dip stick but with regard to the filter - go in for the new one!

Why be bothered about the paise when the rupee has been spent!
Old 25th February 2009, 19:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

if the dip stick it pulled out while the engine is running and oil comes out\sprayed out then the engine requires some major work or it will seize up

its a simple test and it better to stay away from such car
manikjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2009, 19:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
1)What is this oil dipstick stuff? What to conclude ifoil spills out from it? Local Mech says something about compression.
It is connected with blow back of engine compression pressure through the weak piston rings. Could indicate engine work. Do check.
trrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2009, 19:15   #7
BHPian

i believe the oil dipstick is for checking the oil level of the engine..

generally u have to remove the dipstick and then clean it and then reinsert it to check the oil level in the engine
Old 25th February 2009, 19:21   #8
BHPian

It is a standard test done for the older Indicas in the resale market. If oil is sprayed out when the engine is running after taking out the dipstick, for diesel Indicas (at least), it means that the piston rings have gone weak. It is a 40k+ job at an authorized service centre (TASS). Can be done for 25k odd at a smaller workshop.

I used to do a weekly dip-stick routine check and carry a 4.5 litre oil can in the boot regularly before I sold off my Indica :-)

The other standard test for resale cars is running it 3-4 times in circles clockwise and then anticlockwise.

Regards,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
if the dip stick it pulled out while the engine is running and oil comes out\sprayed out then the engine requires some major work or it will seize up

its a simple test and it better to stay away from such car

Last edited by pradkumar : 25th February 2009 at 19:41.
pradkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2009, 19:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post

The other standard test for resale cars is running it 3-4 times in circles clockwise and then anticlockwise.
Thats a driveshaft check i think...If you hear a 'krrr..kkrr' then it need a replacement. You have to keep the steering in full lock position either side.
Old 25th February 2009, 19:46   #10
BHPian

You, my friend, have a knack for writing and story telling

On behalf of all Palio fanboys, and owners here; Welcome to the Palio family

The Palio D is a very nice car. Have fun with her, and do keep us updated with frequent reviews.
Old 25th February 2009, 20:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
TVS is now 'my TVS' service is ok, but you feel 'disconnected' from your car there..

autozone cbe is my choice..a 5 minute checkup is all they need and they get the car inside out.
Oh ok do they stock most of palio spares?
Old 27th February 2009, 18:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

@ carfreak

TVS were the fiat dealers; so most Palio D people(quite a lot here) prefer myTVS to TAFE for service. So spares is not a problem.
Old 6th March 2009, 18:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

The palio returned a mileage of 17.5 kmpl without AC in a 450 km jaunt. But that's not important now, for there was a power steering fluid loss.

This i was able to find out, because i used to stare the engine compartment for no particular reason. Autozone coimbatore(bosch) guys told about a box replacement(20k job).

Local mechanic asks me not to bother: simply keep a litre of fluid with you. A Rs.90 expense in that way. He also points out that if you replace the 185 tyre with 165, there might not be any problem. I was wary.

Dad was again 'seeing' another car now. He came across a bolero SLE, a 2008 march model, 'asking' 5.25L.(on road cbe 6.2L now).

So, palio was done for 1.85L( a loss of 15k+29k service expense), but the deal on the bolero was good(as felt). As insurance was getting over soon, another 20k was off, and bolero is mine at 5.7L.

The bolero had done 19k kms. Ride is stiff without load, and i am planning to keep some dead weight at the back(a sand bag) to improve ride.

Last edited by ramzsys : 6th March 2009 at 18:46.
Old 6th March 2009, 20:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dad was again 'seeing' another car now. He came across a bolero SLE, a 2008 march model, 'asking' 5.25L.(on road cbe 6.2L now).

So, palio was done for 1.85L( a loss of 15k+29k service expense), but the deal on the bolero was good(as felt). As insurance was getting over soon, another 20k was off, and bolero is mine at 5.7L.

The bolero had done 19k kms. Ride is stiff without load, and i am planning to keep some dead weight at the back(a sand bag) to improve ride.
Is it 5.07L or 5.70L ??? for the 2008 Bolero ?
Old 7th March 2009, 12:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

5.07 Lakh. Brokerage took another 3k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks