Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 15:16   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Got a call that the complete engine assembly and turbo is being changed and is being procured from Pune. So basically through where the contaminated oil had gone, is being replaced.

Should be getting back the VTT by next week as per the workshop manager.
Hadn't they already told you that the entire engine assembly is being changed and ordered the same already?
Old 19th November 2009, 16:29   #152
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Hadn't they already told you that the entire engine assembly is being changed and ordered the same already?
Yes, the language meaning did not come out okay. Today was confirmed by the service station that the engine assembly is being sent from Pune as said by TM and the turbo being replaced along with the engine was said for the first time.

This was a call from the TASC out here confirming that these two items have been dispatched from Pune and by next week should be getting the VTT with a new engine and turbo.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:39   #153
BHPian

Quote:
This was a call from the TASC out here confirming that these two items have been dispatched from Pune and by next week should be getting the VTT with a new engine and turbo.
Atlast TM / TASC has confirmed about the replacement. . A little late from my comfort / peace of mind point of view but as they say " better late than never".

This is also in line with what I was given to understand, i.e the engine, per se, will be replaced. The electronics and others eg: PS system will be from the earlier engine will not be replaced. I also believe that other associated items like the AC compressor, radiator etc. will also not be replaced.

We will get to know after ADC gets to see the completed engine.

ADC: Have TM/TASC informed you as regards the upgrades eg: ECU reflash ?
Old 20th November 2009, 18:16   #154
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Atlast TM / TASC has confirmed about the replacement. . A little late from my comfort / peace of mind point of view but as they say " better late than never".
Well, you have to excuse them as it involves the whole engine and turbo - considerable cost being taken up by the third party extended insurer - in EW the process is like that only, survey - sanction - order - fit. EW procedure for anyting that is replaced above the cost of Rs 15K takes a few days more than needed as lot more paperwork is there to justify the change - as per the workshop manager - but one thing was assured and believe it to be so that whats needs to be changed will be changed, and nothing is coming up on the customer. So, EW is valuable and is needed and does serve the purpose, but a little more patience is needed for major things to be sorted out and replaced.

Quote:
This is also in line with what I was given to understand, i.e the engine, per se, will be replaced. The electronics and others eg: PS system will be from the earlier engine will not be replaced. I also believe that other associated items like the AC compressor, radiator etc. will also not be replaced.
Yes, other than the turbo and complete engine assembly, all the others remains as it was before.

Quote:
We will get to know after ADC gets to see the completed engine.
I am hoping next week when they do the engine assembly I have a less work day and able to be there when they do - nothing to supervise but to see the fascinating[!] process. For supervision, TM technical team will be there present that day.

Quote:
ADC: Have TM/TASC informed you as regards the upgrades eg: ECU reflash ?
Yes asked that particularly to the TM person and the surprise matter is that he does not know anything like that and I believe him because none of the Safari VTT has gone a ECU reflash here in the East. Told him that all over VTTs are going through those 4 retrofits depending upon what is needed, and he promised to ask the head office technical person and let me know more about it.

Last edited by adc : 20th November 2009 at 18:27.
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:25   #155
BHPian

Date finalized for engine refit? Eagerly waiting to see the outcome of this case...
Old 24th November 2009, 16:57   #156
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Date finalized for engine refit? Eagerly waiting to see the outcome of this case...
The turbocharger and pipes had already come by air last Saturday and today came to know that the complete engine encased in a wooden crate is landing out in Kolkata by land [truck].

TM customer service in Kolkata and this TASC sure is following through diligently.

So, the schedule stays as expected, by this coming Saturday, I do get the VTT back - to be all tested out in Arunachal in a month's time.

Last edited by adc : 24th November 2009 at 17:07.
Old 24th November 2009, 21:43   #157
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that the work is progressing smoothly!!!
Reading your experience I am also thinkinig that Ill get the next service done at TASC and not at TASS!!! This TASC is quite near to my home, lets see!!!
Old 24th November 2009, 22:43   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, the schedule stays as expected, by this coming Saturday, I do get the VTT back - to be all tested out in Arunachal in a month's time.
ADC - just read through this entire thread and good to know that you and the TMT came out of the situation with flying colors

After all, your trips have been the inspiration behind my (and I am sure for many others) buying the VTT.

Good luck with the new engine and hope it gives you the same, if not more, pleasure which your earlier one gave you.
Old 25th November 2009, 08:49   #159
BHPian

@adc : I saw 2 nos. Safari 2.2 getting retrofitted at RD Motors yesterday.Even the ECU software updation was part of the retrofit package.
Old 25th November 2009, 12:21   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaduri View Post
@adc : I saw 2 nos. Safari 2.2 getting retrofitted at RD Motors yesterday.Even the ECU software updation was part of the retrofit package.
Shantanu - do we know the cut-off manufacture month/year after which these retrofits were provided as standard fitments? My safari is a July 2009 manufactured one and I am still not sure if I need these. Per TM and the dealer, these are not needed for my Safari but I am confused because I did not get the ECU cover which is one of the items on the retro-fit package. The dealer has promised to install the sama for me when I go for the first service. I am not as much worried about the ECU cover as I am about other items like ECU re-flash. Can someone please post the entire list of retro-fitments?

ADC - apologies for hi-jacking your thread
Old 25th November 2009, 17:11   #161
adc
Senior - BHPian

The truck carrying the engine got caught up in the road strike and so it is somewhere caught up in the middle - it is going to take a couple of days more, as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Good to know that the work is progressing smoothly!!!
Reading your experience I am also thinkinig that Ill get the next service done at TASC and not at TASS!!! This TASC is quite near to my home, lets see!!!
Thanks harjeev, Sure do explore the TASC. Let us know how the experience has been!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
ADC - just read through this entire thread and good to know that you and the TMT came out of the situation with flying colors

After all, your trips have been the inspiration behind my (and I am sure for many others) buying the VTT.

Good luck with the new engine and hope it gives you the same, if not more, pleasure which your earlier one gave you.

Hey thanks, but you are in possession of my aspiration - a 4wd Safari. Enjoy it fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaduri View Post
Thanks shantunu again, would be pressing them up with this info. Lets see what they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Shantanu - do we know the cut-off manufacture month/year after which these retrofits were provided as standard fitments? My safari is a July 2009 manufactured one and I am still not sure if I need these. Per TM and the dealer, these are not needed for my Safari but I am confused because I did not get the ECU cover which is one of the items on the retro-fit package. The dealer has promised to install the sama for me when I go for the first service. I am not as much worried about the ECU cover as I am about other items like ECU re-flash. Can someone please post the entire list of retro-fitments?

ADC - apologies for hi-jacking your thread

No problem, nothing getting hijacked.

If you ask me, they ECU cover is the most important one. The initial Safari VTTs used to come out with the ECU cover, as seen in the manual booklet, and then the later VTTs are without the cover and is being retrofitted.

First get the cover, and wait for the call for the other retrofits - if needed. By the pattern that I see here, the more the older buys are being called up the last.

But again for me no call, whereas for Harjeev there was the ECU retrofit recall. All said and done, the way of calling and who is getting called, beats me if you ask me.

As such if they dont ask me for a ECU reflash and I am happy as the VTT used to drive, then still it is okay for me. But again for a coverless ECU, I would be worried. Get that cover ASAP.

Last edited by adc : 25th November 2009 at 17:13.
Old 27th November 2009, 20:00   #162
Senior - BHPian

ADC - what's the latest on your new engine?
Old 27th November 2009, 22:52   #163
BHPian

Good to know that you will be getting a new engine in a couple of days. Hope you have many happy miles in it.

On a side note, I had great experience with this TASC. The quality of work is great, rates are reasonable, and they seem to have stock of all items. However, the final 'PDI' before delivering the vehicle is not detailed. First time they forgot to put the engine oil dipstick, second time the parking switch was stuck, and the third time the autocops box came loose on the accelerator pedal leading to erratic response of the accelerator.
Old 30th November 2009, 10:24   #164
Senior - BHPian

Hey ADC nice to know that your problem is getting solved.

Meanwhile can you post some pictures of the exploded view of the engine.
Can help laymen understand what are the various parts.

Regards
Amit
Old 30th November 2009, 10:34   #165
Senior - BHPian

"ADC" a small trequest. Wherever you gotot TASS to see your beast take some snaps and post them so that everyone can seee what/how things are going on and even the interiors of an engine also

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks