Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2009, 21:47   #61
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
IMHO, this pic says it all.....beautiful, simple and full of emotions. You should seriously consider sending it to TML for their ad campaigns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
+1 to that!

One of the best photos, of the family and the machine, that I have come across!
Hey thanks guys, - sure it has come out as one of most wonderful photos. It happened like an idea from my son who out there was doing the alphabets "J" and "K" [those are his favourites among A-Z that he has learnt] and he was drawing those on the snow. Well, that spanwed the idea of outlining like that and putting our hand prints, though that Safari drawing really has to be excused.

BTW, got a call from the TASS about some free service camp going on - will be attending in a couple of days.

Last edited by adc : 7th May 2009 at 21:59.
Old 15th May 2009, 23:25   #62
adc
Senior - BHPian

Date: 09/05/2009
Place: RD Motors, Calcutta

Got a suprise call last week about some retrofitting that is being done for only a few vehicles of the very early batch [as this TASS say]. Absolutely no problem as such, but then any updation is absolutely welcome and necessary. So dropped off the Safari VTT for the weekend and a couple of days to check the whole vehicle as it had gone a big pounding in the North Sikkim tour.

The invoice shows these details, the ultimate bill was Rs 121/-, for the fused fog lamp which they changed though it was like aftermarket but fitted at the showroom.

Got the VTT all checked and with updation done and tie road changed and free alignment done [since tie road was changed], and with a free wash and vacuum done.

After that went for a very comprehensive test drive [70 km!] with the workshop person and everything was perfect.

Plus got a discount offer of 20% off Labour and 5% on parts plus free washing if done before Sept 30, 2009. Will use these discounts, if needed, before the Ladakh tour!

Great service, good experience, Gotta give 10/10 for this service.

All rates with VAT
1. Kit for Timing Belt drive - Rs 6706.73 = 0 [as under warranty]
2. Assembly Fuel Pressure Line Pump to Rail - Rs 1420.19 = 0 [as under warranty]
3. Tie Road Left and Right - Rs 1941.54 = 0 [as under warranty]
4. R/R Tie rod with ends [each] [as under warranty]
5. Timing belt renew including timing [under warranty]
6. Free Wheel alignment
7. Fog lamp bulb H3 12V55W Rs 83.65
8. Replaced rear spare tyre door lock
9. Other item Rs 32.45

Total Bill Amount: Rs 121

Last edited by adc : 15th May 2009 at 23:27.
Old 16th May 2009, 04:07   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Great service, good experience, Gotta give 10/10 for this service.

All rates with VAT
1. Kit for Timing Belt drive - Rs 6706.73 = 0 [as under warranty]
2. Assembly Fuel Pressure Line Pump to Rail - Rs 1420.19 = 0 [as under warranty]
5. Timing belt renew including timing [under warranty]
Looks like there is a potential enhancement of the Timing belt and Fuel Pressure lines. Wonder of this fuel pressure line change is for the service light coming up on some of the Safaris.

This is good news for potential buyers that Tata is addressing/upgrading engine components/designs.
Old 16th May 2009, 08:40   #64
Team-BHP Support

Early Tata safari's had some timing belt failures(2.2) I guess the retro was to fix that
Old 29th July 2009, 12:05   #65
adc
Senior - BHPian

Updating at 31,500 km

Safari VTT-TMT was in the garage for around 1 month but then when we suddenly decided to go to Taregna, Patna for the Solar eclipse, it was great to see and hear it starting so smoothly with a first time cranking.

The odo was already at 30k and so it was imperative that the 3rd servcing was done over there at Patna [Kolkata-Patna 620 km] itself as otherwise, by the time it came back to Kolkata it would have long past the warranty 3rd servicing range [30000-30500].

Just on the Patna bypass, while going to Taregna saw the Tata Showroom of Aastha Motors which looked quite new and definitely this seemed to be my best chance of having the servicing done here as definitely the more established one would be more located inside the city and plus they will not be able to give back the Safari by evening - definitely needed it the same day as would be leaving Patna by very early morning for Kolkata. Plus there was no pre-appointment done.

So as such while coming back after seeing the eclipse, gave the VTT back to their showroom. The works manager was great, accomodated me above the line and promised to have it ready by evening.

Back when at evening, had a talk with the service advisor, Mr Banerjee, who duly informed of the work done and told me to have 2 things checked as these would take more than 1 day to check out the whole thing.

1. To check rear suspension bush - both left and right. I have a feeling that the bushes surely are stressed a lot after all the mountain and forest journeys.

2. Damper roller setting to be checked and if needed adjusted.

Other than that the 3rd servicing history is like:

Transaxle oil 80EP Castrol Rs 274.67

Assembly filter Delphi Rs 2340.38

All doors and nut/bolt chek free

Washing and vacuuming free

Fuel filter catridge renew free

Transmission oil top up free

Total with VAT Rs 2743.00

Thanks the SA, Mr Banerjee, for all the work and detail, and as usual an absolutely trouble free run from Patna to Kolkata early next morning. No issues.

BTW, Patna and Bihar is full of new 2.2 Safari's, and the respect w.r.t. to traffic you get is instantaneous - loved driving out there. - Safari's out there in Patna are mostly driven by those who you wont like to mess up in the streets or elsewhere!

So with the 3rd servicing done, I just but cannot notice the signficance of this amazing vehicle that has seen the plains, mountains, seas and the forests, remote or otherwise in its 32k journey till now - NO two servicing till now has been done at the same place and in the same State - truly The Magnificient Tourer!

Quote:
PDI and vehicle delivery at KB Motors, Kolkata

1st servcing at Siliguri, West Bengal - while on the next day forest & hill tour of N Bengal

2nd servcing at Mandi, Himachal Pradesh - while on the Kinnaur-Spiti-Lahual tour.

and now->

3rd servicing at Patna, Bihar - on the Solar eclipse tour

So as of now it just stays and does occasional intra-city runs before hopefully by end Sept it can start on some big tough journey during the Puja holidays - just about 2 months to take off for another tour somewhere.

Last edited by adc : 29th July 2009 at 12:24.
Old 29th July 2009, 13:08   #66
Team-BHP Support

Why no oil change in this service?
Old 29th July 2009, 13:32   #67
BANNED

Quote:
NO two servicing till now has been done at the same place and in the same State - truly The Magnificient Tourer!
You are the man, and I m already your fan,
But tell me if you can, how many kms per liter
has the TMT been able to span?

Well, thats about what I can manage...the question is, what is the approx highway mileage you have acheived with TMT so far?
Old 30th July 2009, 10:59   #68
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why no oil change in this service?
I have been changing oil and filter around 5.5-6 k km, voluntarily, and as such the last change was at around 28k km itself. Told the service people out there not to change the oil/filter, as I would be changing it around 34 k range again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You are the man, and I m already your fan,
But tell me if you can, how many kms per liter
has the TMT been able to span?

Well, thats about what I can manage...the question is, what is the approx highway mileage you have acheived with TMT so far?
Yo Devdath thats a good few lines of rhyme
And so now your latest worry is about the fuel dime?

For a SUV, the 2.2 engine sure is, let's say economical
But then for most us it also quite academical

Surely once you drive and push the VTT to its paces
The rush and gush make you forget about all those FE nuances

But then still if you insist on a FE survey
Anything around 9.5-10.5 kpl in the city should be okay

And still with a empty highway and the VTT engine in full flow ---> [around 110-140 kph speed]
You have but around 10.5-12 kpl max of FE to show

But still if you insist on some higher figures and be the hypermiler with a 2 tonne SUV
Sedate driving is what you do, keeping speed around 80-90 kph, 13-14 kpl or even 15-16 may be.

Last edited by adc : 30th July 2009 at 11:12.
Old 30th July 2009, 12:35   #69
BHPian

hey adc. .was't your fuel filter & air filter changed at the 30k service?
Old 30th July 2009, 12:54   #70
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
hey adc. .was't your fuel filter & air filter changed at the 30k service?
Fuel filter is the diesel assembly fuel filter right? it was changed as indicated to be done at 30 k km.

Air filter, again told them not to change as would change within 2 months before going for the hill journey during the Puja holidays. Air filter as such was cleaned with pressurized air and the same put in place.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:40   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Yo Devdath thats a good few lines of rhyme
And so now your latest worry is about the fuel dime?

Thank you adc for your inputs,
For I m unable to get the truck out of my thoughts,

And trust me, this is no newfound passion,
It is almost 10 long years of obsession,

that I ve had for this prized possession,
which has improved generation after generation,

I love this beast to the core,
but like most of us, my income is less and expenses more,

But your story has motivated me a lot,
and I have almost decided to give the VTT a shot....
Amen....
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2009, 16:45   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fuel filter is the diesel assembly fuel filter right? it was changed as indicated to be done at 30 k km.

Air filter, again told them not to change as would change within 2 months before going for the hill journey during the Puja holidays. Air filter as such was cleaned with pressurized air and the same put in place.
Its the same.

I changed the air filter at 30K, wasnt costly and wasnt actually needed too.
Old 19th September 2009, 09:20   #73
adc
Senior - BHPian

Lower beam of Philips Xtreme conks out in 1 year

Lower beam of Philips Xtreme conks out in 1 year -- both the right and left beam is not lighting up - both sides high beam is okay. The bulbs have seen extensive night driving for long hours with frequent dipping - as encountered on highways.

Now the question is - does this happen, i.e. both sides low beam headlight bulbs go bust at the same time, same moment, or are the bulbs okay and there is a some other problem.

Last edited by adc : 19th September 2009 at 09:22.
Old 19th September 2009, 09:36   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...both the right and left beam is not lighting up - ...are the bulbs okay and there is a some other problem.
adc, why don't you check the bulbs on a bench first? Easy to do, and knowing you, I'd expect you to have done that already! If both low beam filaments are gone (at the same time), you have an issue with the HL relay - the contacts are probably sparking during use.
Old 19th September 2009, 12:39   #75
Team-BHP Support

Change the bulb to stock ones which you have and see if they are okay, if they are it means philips conked out.
No surprise though 1-1.5 years is the expected life of Xtreme vision in our frequent "flash dipper" conditions.
Philips literature itself suggests a lower life than normal non Xtreme bulbs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks