Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 11:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

excellent review .. from one toyota owner to another
Old 18th March 2009, 11:39   #17
BHPian

Qualis is a great car, simple, practical and very effective. My qualis a 2001 model has done 199600 kms and is in the garage for a complete make over. All bushing work, suspension, leaf springs, painting, break overhaul, belt change, interior update, wheel bearings etc. But no need to touch the engine. Our family has used and abused the qualis. Started as people carrier and post 2007 was used as a goods carrier at our factory after we bought the innova (this explains the suspension work).

But now its coming back home from factory and all mechanical and external works are being carried out as I type this. I am looking forward for it to be completed and yes cross that 2 lac kms lol! No intentions of selling the car, I was offered 2.7 lacs for the car in as is condition. Will end up spending around 50k for complete work and should be good for a couple of years.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2009, 12:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
My qualis a 2001 model has done 199600 kms and is in the garage for a complete make over. All bushing work, suspension, leaf springs, painting, break overhaul, belt change, interior update, wheel bearings etc. But no need to touch the engine. Our family has used and abused the qualis. Started as people carrier and post 2007 was used as a goods carrier at our factory after we bought the innova (this explains the suspension work).

No intentions of selling the car, I was offered 2.7 lacs for the car in as is condition. Will end up spending around 50k for complete work and should be good for a couple of years.
Don't sell ever bro! i would love to see some pics of the car in the garage under overhaul..do also give details of work done and money spent..it would be of great help and interest

..also some pics of the car once all the work is completed and its looking brand new would be nice..your Qualis seems to have worked hard for you..its good to see you rewarding it with this makeover and not discarding it..the Qualis deserves to be cared for! Cheers!!
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2009, 12:55   #19
Ice
BHPian

@vinaydas: Thank you! We are a privileged bunch, us Qualis owners who drive the car ourselves.

@tazmaan: I'm excited for you! the 50K should see you through the next 3-4 years at least. God bless owners like you who stick by their car and realize the importance of a bumper-to-bumper overhaul when its demanded.
Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2009, 13:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

we also had the same qualis with the same colour.. it had served us for almost 2 lac kms.
I still miss that car,The car i learned to drive in.Now The innova and the Camry makes me smile each time i sit behind the wheel.
Old 18th March 2009, 13:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nothing, nothing can beat a Toyota.
My Feb 07 Prado has 77000kms on the clock as of now and not a sweat. With most of the driving done offroad, and not a squeak from the suspension, no rattles, no loose nuts and bolts and I must add, stonking engine-never missed even half a beat. The epitome of reliability for me and a vehicle I can trust over anything else I have owned or known.

To add, my brother put 38000kms on a rent a car Toyota Yaris in 45 days. The rentacar manager could not believe it. And it is some workhorse.

Kudos to Toyota. To me, the best auto manufacturer in the world.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2009, 23:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
To add, my brother put 38000kms on a rent a car Toyota Yaris in 45 days. The rentacar manager could not believe it. And it is some workhorse.
38,000 km in 1.5 months?? That's 845 km per day, every day! How?
Old 19th March 2009, 10:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
38,000 km in 1.5 months?? That's 845 km per day, every day! How?
Doing 12-1400kms a day in the middle east is not a difficult feat. I have done it on countless occassions myself. But such high usage in a Yaris in the summer @ around 50*+ speaks volumes about the vehicle itself.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2009, 12:19   #24
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Doing 12-1400kms a day in the middle east is not a difficult feat. I have done it on countless occassions myself. But such high usage in a Yaris in the summer @ around 50*+ speaks volumes about the vehicle itself.
And you're brother's appetite for long drives, I must add. Is he on TBHP? He belongs here!
Old 19th March 2009, 12:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
And you're brother's appetite for long drives, I must add. Is he on TBHP? He belongs here!
Hes a rider. Rides a Yamaha R6 in dxb. Clocked 40000kms on it since 1st Aug 07(his everyday commute). Usually riding at 200kph+ getting flashed everyday.
He finally got his driving license so got a renta car to polish his driving skills.
And after the Yaris he discovered 'Toyota'.
Hes not on Tbhp.
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:20   #26
Ice
BHPian

Long Drive Ahead!!

I am literally jumping in my seat as I write this! After far too many 'return trips' from Bangalore to Chennai in the Octy, I'm flying one way this weekend. I need to get to Chennai this weekend to bring my baby daughter back, and I don't fancy a return to Blr from Pune late Friday night (work trip) and then a drive to Chennai on Saturday morning.

So, I'm flying in. Two hours of stomach curdling suspension in a metal sausage many thousands of feet above terra firma. No food, clumsy co-passengers intent on getting off the plane before it touches down (you're welcome), and a cabin crew tired and hostile on their last flight (for the day, hopefully). Take-offs and landings that make me jam my headphones into my ear and listen to devotional music with a fond hope that He will keep the wings from doing things they were not intended to, like flying off by themselves. Horrid airport security who always have a problem with my belongings (they can keep my office laptop for all I care!). I am not a fan of the jet age.

The only thing keeping me going is the thought of the drive back. With the Innova and the Fortuner indispensable in Chennai at the moment, the only car available - and fit - for my return journey is the Qualis. Yes!

158,000 km., on the clock. New clutch and suspension bushes. Fresh from a service. Joy! Come back here a week from now for a report on the trip, and some pictures.

Cheers till then!
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:47   #27
Ice
BHPian

The Trip

The drive from Chennai to Bangalore is done and dusted. Some stats:

Door to door
Distance -> 328 km.
Time -> 4hrs.50min.
Gas Mileage-> ~11kmpl.
Experience --> fan-bloody-tastic!

Left Chennai after lunch and was treated to a heavy downpour just past the outskirts. Rainclouds have a pact with Chennai - they only drizzle on the city, while practically drowning the surrounding areas. If you don't believe me, ask Nagapattinam and Vishakapattinam, the two towns most Chennai-destined cyclones head to.

The car's age doesn't show at all, except for a slight whistling sound at speed. This could be because the antenna has decided to call it a day, and has pulled out from the rest of the car with all its moorings. This hasn't done the radio reception any favours, either.

I managed to average around 75 clicks to the hour, and hit a top speed of 125 (speedo says so) quite often. What amazed me was the in-gear grunt in 4th and 5th, which surprised a few Scorpios. I took some time getting used to the gearing and the drive, but after the first 50 kms., I felt at home again. After all, this is a car that I've done over 30,000 km. in. The feeling hasn't changed - pure bliss!

The car is with me in Bangalore now - and will be for a while - and I look forward to getting some niggles sorted. For starters, the driver's door doesn't unlock with the key. So I need to run around the car and hop in from the passenger's side, trampling the carpet and the gearshift on the way across. The Lanson guys have told me that it could be the central locking, but the mechanism itself works fine. Strange.

I plan to get the car cleaned later today, and will upload some pictures post that.

Tchus for the moment!
Old 10th October 2013, 23:59   #28

Re: Driving my sweetheart(Toyota Qualis): A Peace of Mind Study

I too am planning a much deserved make-over for my Qualis. She is all of 13 yrs now and still counting. Born Jan 2000, this exceptional car came home April that year. she has collected a few dents along the way, thanks to cellphone-bikers and slipshod cabbies ("brake slip ho gayaa").
But before that, intend giving her a thorough check-up for any body-work (battery stool needs replacement, for sure) or suspension issues. Thanks to so many of you guys, I found the right person for this pre-makeover inspection (Mr Sunil Shanbag) and so close to my home too!
70K on the clock, nary a word from the engine or train. Clutch and shift smooth & soft as ever. Even the Great Mumbai Floods did not slow her down and she got me home safely enough.
Drove her like crazy in the initial years, but the long drives have reduced dramatically over the years. Maybe once the makeover is done ...?
Will keep posting re the makeover and any issues fixed.
Cheers to all. Safe driving!
Badaasaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 10:45   #29
BHPian

Miss you Qualis!!

Hi guys,
Presenting the car in which I,my father & my 2 brothers learnt driving!

The car which made everybody in my house TOYOTA loyalists.

The car which took us to many places & have so many fond memories attached to it.

Though we had her for a very little time(8 months).We still miss her!Had to sell her because she was not kept upto the mark by her previous owner.The engine needed some work,the fuel tank was leaking(used to give a mileage of 5kmpl) and so on.

Miss you Qualis!!
Thats me on top & mom telling me to get down
Attached Thumbnails
Driving my sweetheart(Toyota Qualis): A Peace of Mind Study-15082009150.jpg  

Old 14th January 2014, 09:30   #30
Ice
BHPian

She's still here

...167,000 km on the odo. Just completed a Bangy-Chennai round trip, with ease. 11.5 kmpl, top speed of 130 kmph, and an average nudging 73 kmph.

Work due:
1. Driver's door power window not working. Slight pain at tool booths, with attendants thinking I'm going to drive off without paying. I was only trying to get ahead a little so that I could reach around the door and do commerce with you, friend!

2. Driver's ORVM moorings slightly loose. Going to try torquing the bolt at the bottom. If not, replacement may be needed.

3. Windshield repair needed. The car has seen a lot of highway driving these last 13 years, and the windshield is pockmarked with sand and the occasional stone sent upwards by truck tires.

Other than that, NOTHING CHANGES. Total peace of mind vehicle. She always improves my mood. Brings on euphoria, nostalgia, and a warm, gooey feeling inside.

PS : recently sold the Palio, so my wife's new ride is the Qualis, while I drive the Innova - itself a doyen of the Indian highways with 115,000 km on the clock. But I sneak the Qualis out whenever I get the chance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks