Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 17:15   #166
Senior - BHPian

A nice review JSL. Good to know your beast running well despite so many KMs piled up so fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Satisfaction is not a good word, happiness is
Couldn't agree more .

-BJ
Old 8th April 2010, 18:23   #167
Senior - BHPian

Nice update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Problems and negative feedback:
Wheel alignment is a problem because this can only be done at a TASS due to the shims adjustment. This is a big pain since they take the whole day to do it and sometimes after a trial keep the vehicle for another day to correct it.
How often have you had to adjust shims? The normal alignment can be done anywhere, anytime; its only if the Camber is out that shim adjustment needs to be done (and hence TASS). In my case, have only had to do shim adjustment once so far. If you're needing Camber adjustment frequently, something doesn't sound right.....
Old 8th April 2010, 18:40   #168
Team-BHP Support

I think the frequent OTRs take their toll. Add to that if tie rods are changed or adjusted, camber can go out easily.
Old 8th April 2010, 18:42   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think the frequent OTRs take their toll. Add to that if tie rods are changed or adjusted, camber can go out easily.
Maybe the OTRs do. As far as Tie Rods are concerned, how many times would you change them in a span of 43k kms (he says the suspension is still in good shape so I don't think he's changed even once)??

And remember, this is Camber we are talking about, not Toe.

Last edited by suman : 8th April 2010 at 18:46.
Old 8th April 2010, 18:49   #170
Senior - BHPian

Good 2 years report JSL .

@suman : the probelem is that all Caster , Camber and Toe values are different for 2.2 then older Safaris.

Earlier toe value between - 30'' and +30'' was acceptable but in 2.2 Dicor the correct toe value is 3 deg and few mts. The values for 2.2 Dicor are still not there in the Computers of alignment shops.

So even if you don't have to adjust the shims outside alignment centre set toe values wrongly and thus vehicle start pulling here and there.
Best is to take to T.A.S.S every 10K kilometers.

Since my driving is very less till now I have taken it just once to T.A.S.S after most reputed alignment center in Bangalore caused misalignment.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:01   #171
v&v
Senior - BHPian

jaysmokesleaves,
Great summing up of your 2 years ownership.
Was your beast called for retro ?
or its 3l one.

v&v

Last edited by Dippy : 9th April 2010 at 11:04. Reason: Please do not quote an entire long post when replying to a thread. Thanks.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:42   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Nice update.

How often have you had to adjust shims? The normal alignment can be done anywhere, anytime; its only if the Camber is out that shim adjustment needs to be done (and hence TASS). In my case, have only had to do shim adjustment once so far. If you're needing Camber adjustment frequently, something doesn't sound right.....
In the entire ownership period ive done alignment only 3 times.
First one at around 18k kms after my Spiti trip. Then at 30k kms I went to the TASS and they were too busy and told me to come by appointment after 2 days. So I did the alignment from a tire shop outside. At 38k kms the Safari started pulling to the right and braking went awry too so I went to the TASS and they did the alignment but on turning right there was a distinct tire screeching sound even at low speeds which magnified on the highway at higher speeds. So I finished my GJ trip and went back to them to rectify it at 43k and they kept the vehicle for 2 days because they were busy. On day 1 they swapped the tires and realigned but the noise continued, so on day 2 they adjusted the shims and returned the vehicle perfectly alright. The service advisor told me that its better to do alignment at the TASS because the shims cannot be adjusted outside... which leads me to believe that 2 days for wheel alignment at the TASS is a big pain since they have a monopoly... and I dont have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Im sure it was the 3 OTRs back to back that i attended at 37k kms that caused the alignment to go awry at 38k. But the tie rods have not yet been changed. They checked it and said its OK and the shims adjustment will be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
A nice review JSL. Good to know your beast running well despite so many KMs piled up so fast.
Couldn't agree more .
-BJ
The plan was to do 75k in 2years but my travel plans went awry due to my work schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
jaysmokesleaves,
Great summing up of your 2 years ownership.
Was your beast called for retro ?
or its 3l one.
v&v
My TASS apparently has not heard of any retro being carried out. Even the customer care executive from TML didnt have a clue about it.
Im glad they dont have a cllue because my Safari is working fine and I dont want them to touch it. I dont think will go even if they call me.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 8th April 2010 at 19:45.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:00   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Best is to take to T.A.S.S every 10K kilometers.
Amit, the problem is that most TASS in the NCR do not have equipment for alloy wheel alignment; thus, we (as in those with Alloy wheels) have little option but to use the non-TASS outlets. We have some good ones who use 3D machines & those are the ones to visit. Of course, for shim adjustment, I use the TASS.

Last edited by suman : 9th April 2010 at 11:02.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:20   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Amit, the problem is that most TASS in the NCR do not have equipment for alloy wheel alignment; thus, we (as in those with Alloy wheels) have little option but to use the non-TASS outlets. We have some good ones who use 3D machines & those are the ones to visit. Of course, for shim adjustment, I use the TASS.
Lucky you that alignment shops have correct values, for me they did on 3D machine charged more and then misaligned insisting -30'' to +30'' toe is correct which was true for TCIC Safari and Sumo and not for 2.2 Dicor
Old 9th April 2010, 11:43   #175
Senior - BHPian

A good 2 year report, JSL!

As for the alignment part, I found that even TASS used a reference to an older variant when doing the alignment, but the values have been modified as per a circular from TATA. Not sure what will happen if they do an alignment for the older variant through.

This non-availability of proper reading at outside alignment centers is what is keeping me at TASS, especially after reading Amitk26's experience.
Old 10th April 2010, 15:34   #176
Senior - BHPian

The problem with going to the TASS for alignment is that they have just too many cars to handle. Just getting alignment done takes a whole day at the TASS as compared to a few hours elsewhere. As in my case they did the alignment in the afternoon, took a trial in the evening and said that its ready. I went and took a trial and found it just the same. SO a whole day went waste and they kept the Safari till next afternoon to fix it and take trial and I got delivery at 5 pm. Thats 2 full days for alignment.

Most Viewed