Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 14:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

did it have nay sort of effect on the engine in terms of over heating or anything in the morning?
No adverse effects in the short term! I've also done this in 40° heat for five hours!
Can't really say about long term effects.
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:07   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
the answer is NO.
Just make sure the fresh-air intake is on, you dont want it to be in recirculating mode or you could end up dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
No adverse effects in the short term! I've also done this in 40° heat for five hours!
Can't really say about long term effects.
Very true - no major short or long term effects of running the AC on idle for prolonged periods - except the risk of building up carbon monoxide inside the cabin if the fresh air intake is not on - and, preferably, one or two windows wound down by an inch or so.

Also, do not park on dry grass when doing this - the heat from the engine/exhaust/turbo can set off a blaze while you're sleeping.
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Very true - no major short or long term effects of running the AC on idle for prolonged periods - except the risk of building up carbon monoxide inside the cabin if the fresh air intake is not on - and, preferably, one or two windows wound down by an inch or so...
A must do if in re-circulation mode. And never do this, sit inside vehicle with AC on, when the vehicle is parked inside a enclosed parking.

Quote:
...Also, do not park on dry grass when doing this - the heat from the engine/exhaust/turbo can set off a blaze while you're sleeping.
No way!
Old 22nd March 2009, 16:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL, quite right!

but...what is the beast master doing, if it's not too rude to ask?!
Not trying to break wind sir. Just allowing recirculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
JSL- one thing that caought my eye in your review was the fact that you left the car on with AC running through the night in neutral whole you slept-

did it have nay sort of effect on the engine in terms of over heating or anything in the morning? Normally one hears that idling with the AC on for long periods can cause a lot of stress on the engine, hence the question.
No effect on the engine. In the middle east, I have had engines running for over 2 days nonstop at +45*. Im sure modern engines are designed to handle such kind of stress and im sure TML has tested its engines to that effect. If they havent, Im testing it for 4 years/150000kms, whichever comes earlier.
I do leave rear windows open by 1/2" on both sides since I installed window visors.
Old 22nd March 2009, 16:14   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Im sure modern engines are designed to handle such kind of stress and im sure TML has tested its engines to that effect. If they havent, Im testing it for 4 years/150000kms, whichever comes earlier.
Tatamotors should pay you for this mate. You are probably doing what they should have done to the vehicle in the factory before launching the Safari..

They ought to make you their Honorary QC Chief for the Safari line.
Old 22nd March 2009, 17:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If they havent, Im testing it for 4 years/150000kms, whichever comes earlier.
That's a good spirit Jay.

Using the vehicle to its max and sure that it will never let anyone down.
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not trying to break wind sir. Just allowing recirculation.
Oh thank God! What a relief!
I was fearing that it was manure production being unwittingly witnessed by all & sundry in that pic!
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:03   #38
BHPian

Inspiring Safari

Jay, Thanks for sharing your experience. Another inspiringly interesting positive Safari Ownership. I wish the indian manufacturer great QC success.
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Tatamotors should pay you for this mate. You are probably doing what they should have done to the vehicle in the factory before launching the Safari..

They ought to make you their Honorary QC Chief for the Safari line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
That's a good spirit Jay.

Using the vehicle to its max and sure that it will never let anyone down.
I sure can surprise them with a thing a two about vehicle testing. Iam open to a honorary title as such as long as the vehicle comes free for the test. Then I will push it to real eye popping extremes. That should give them something to think about REVISING their QC standards.

Quote:
Oh thank God! What a relief!
I was fearing that it was manure production being unwittingly witnessed by all & sundry in that pic!
Sirji, my 'patloon' is clearly visible in the pic, unless your imagination is in overdrive.

Cheers,
J
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Jay, a nice impartial review in your typical candid style. Keep up the mile munching in your inimitable manner

Quote:
I depend on owners like you to convince me that the Safari is worth shelling out 1 million for, and worth owning.
SS-T, you need to be convinced yourself - no one else can do it for you! And (IMHO), very few will even try to convince you. You need to look at the price point & what options are available there - and then take the call. It is as simple as that, really
Old 27th March 2009, 15:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, latest update.

MY front windshield has cracked/broken while standing on the road overnight in Mumbai. The suspect is either a coconut from the coconut tree it was standing below or a miscreant. This is the second instance in 2 months. The first one being, on my recent trip to Orissa, the rear glass was shattered by vandals.

Can someone tell me what it costs to replace the front windscreen ?
Can I claim insurance for front windscreen replacement ?
Old 27th March 2009, 15:33   #42
Team-BHP Support

Jay you will get full insurance(just loose some on rubber beading etc.,).
Old 27th March 2009, 15:37   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

And try and get it done through "Windshield Experts" in your city (if they exist there). They have pretty good reviews with respect to windshields. And yes, they accept cashless insurance.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:53   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Glass components have 50% depreciation. TML charges more for the same glass than what Windshield Experts charges. IMHO it'll be cheaper to not claim insurance and save on the No Claim Bonus than get 50% of the cost reimbursed. WE also does at-home windscreen repair service.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 27th March 2009 at 17:55.
Old 28th March 2009, 14:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
And try and get it done through "Windshield Experts" in your city (if they exist there). They have pretty good reviews with respect to windshields. And yes, they accept cashless insurance.
Quote:
Glass components have 50% depreciation. TML charges more for the same glass than what Windshield Experts charges. IMHO it'll be cheaper to not claim insurance and save on the No Claim Bonus than get 50% of the cost reimbursed. WE also does at-home windscreen repair service.
Thanks for the info guys.
WE has quoted 8000/- all inclusive for home service front windshield replacement.
The TASS is acting shady and not quoting a correct figure, however they say it will be done in 7500 all inclusive(which I find ridiculously hard to believe).
I am more inclined to get it done via WE since TASS figures are not reliable.
Will post next week once im done with it.
Any furthur advice is welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks