Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2019, 12:16   #391
BHPian

I remember joining the forum back in 2013 after following this thread for long and writing my first post here.
What better thread to start reposting after being a silent reader for the past 4 years.

Parag sir, I've said this before and I'm saying this again, I'm a big fan of your waggy. It has achieved a milestone that most cars don't or rather given up by their owners for whatever reasons best known to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Next month the Tallboy completes 13 years and enters 14th Year. The last suspension job was around 1,47,000 Km.

Honestly and obviously , I am more excited about servicing the WagonR and keeping it top notch than I may have been for the Ertiga .
Is this your second set of suspension change throughout the life of your car?
I ask this because my father's Wagon R has already undergone a suspension change twice even though it has run a mere 65k kms in the past 14 years. Maybe it's the age of parts loosing life and workability.(?)
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 12:36   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 13 years, 247,000 km & major service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
Parag sir, I've said this before and I'm saying this again, I'm a big fan of your waggy. It has achieved a milestone that most cars don't or rather given up by their owners for whatever reasons best known to them.
Thanks for this Ashkait! The Tallboy as a workhorse has been relentless in doing what it does best. The awesome low end grunt and the crisp engine note (although not to be compared with the most refined cars today) still remains the same as the Odometer inches closer to the 250,000 Km mark.
Quote:
Is this your second set of suspension change throughout the life of your car?
First one was around 77,000 Km and it was just struts and rear suspension that was changed.

At 147,000 Km, changed the struts and rear suspension along with lower arms and steering ball joints. So this replacement is the 3rd change (4th Set) for the WagonR.

If I have to compare this with the Ertiga, I have to say that for similar kind of use and abuse, the suspension parts have lasted really long. Even at 166,000 Km today, It is on stock suspension today with bushes changed just once at around 90,000 Km.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 12:42   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 13 years, 247,000 km & major service update

Major Service Update @ 247,000 Kms

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-service.jpg

This one was due, for the workhorse that is still munching miles and as an obligation to update this very thread. The WagonR during the last week went for a major service and returned back with quite a lot of new wear and tear components that were due for replacement. Replacement of these will now ensure that the Tallboy is good to run without much ado at least for the next 1L km with just regular fluid changes.

This time I chose to visit an FNG that was recently inaugurated by a friend of mine who earlier was part of an ASC. The good thing was about the mechanic who worked on my car who was earlier associated with the same ASC and being a Maruti, as I waited and watched on Day 1, I noticed that he or I didn't have to bother on 'which bolt should I loosen first' situation. He knew the job well and he executed the same to perfection too!

Here are the details of the major service:

This one was a periodic service where all the fluids were replaced and apart from that the following wear and tear parts too were replaced.
Fluids:
- Engine Oil
- Transmission Oil
- Coolant
- Drain Plug Washer
- Brake Fluid
- Air Filter
- Oil Filter
- Fuel Filter

Gearbox and Clutch:
- Release Bearing – Clutch
- Clutch Plate
- Pressure Plate
- Flywheel
- Flywheel bearing
- Clutch Cable
- Crankshaft Oil Seal
- Gear Box Shifter Oil Seal & Boot

Brakes and Handbrake:
- Brake Discs – LHS and RHS
- Brake Pads
- Handbrake Cable – LHS and RHS
- Wheel Cylinder – Rear LHS
- Caliper Pin – LHS and RHS

Throttle body:
- Throttle Body Gaskets(along with cleaning)

Auxiliary parts associated with the Battery:
- Battery cable (Positive)
- Battery Rod and Clamp

Suspension:
- Front Strut Kit Assembly - Includes Strut, Bushes and Outer Spring : LHS and RHS
- Rear Suspension - LHS and RHS
- Lower Arms : LHS and RHS
- Stabilizer Bar Bush
- Stabilizer Mount
The complete service took 2 full days. However, I could be present only on the first day and owing to personal commitments I could not be there on Day 2. I managed to take few pictures myself on Day 1 while few of them were regularly shared by my friend as work was executed and parts were getting replaced:

Alloy wheel lug nuts:
Chose to replace them with a brand new set. Reason : I had misplaced the socket and the FNG thankfully had a socket that matched this pattern and were able to remove the wheels. They sourced a new set from their contacts and replaced them.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-alloy-wheel-nuts.jpg

Alloy wheels and cleaning:
Hard water marks had made them dull in recent past. I personally had not put efforts to clean them myself but the folks at the FNG pro-actively managed to wipe them clean off any water marks and bring them back to its glory.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-alloy-wheel-washing.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-alloy-wheels-washed.jpg

Battery Positive terminal
The positive terminal of the battery had become old and risky to use due to oxidation caused from the 2nd battery. When the 3rd Battery was replaced last year, I had bought a basic terminal costing 30 bucks and fixed it and wanted to still have a proper terminal in future. Checked with the MGP store for the part number that leoshashi provided but that was unavailable. The SA at the FNG then suggested to use a part from Maruti Van as below.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-battery-terminal-1.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-battery-terminal-2.jpg

Braking System:
The Brake Discs upon inspection were corroded on the outer edge. Pads were still in good condition but I didn't want to risk it further. Hence went ahead and replaced both the pads and the discs. These discs were exactly 100,000 Km old as the last time I had replaced was during a similar major service at 147,000 Km.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-brake-disc-lhs.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-brake-disc-rhs.jpg

We also noticed that one of the rear wheel cylinders (LHS) was leaking lightly. It was duly replaced too.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-rear-brake-rhs.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-rear-brake-lhs.jpg

The Handbrake off late was feeling weak. I knew it was to do with the cables as adjustment had not helped last time. Found out that the cables had become slack and hence a pair of these cables were replaced.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-handbrake-cables.jpg

Clutch Plate and related components:
I was sure that the clutch had become weaker. This was evident when I was climbing the ramp and had to rev harder. Since I knew I won't get such chances (Wife away for a week and not using the car), I advised the FNG to replace the clutch (Ceekay) along with all the associated components.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-clutch-plate-cover-assy.jpg

As always, I opt for replacing the flywheel along with the clutch set. The current flywheel had light marks indicating wear and hence decided to replace it.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-flywheel.jpg

Gearbox Seals:
When the Gearbox was unmounted, Oil deposits were noticed around it indicating damaged or worn oil seal(s). The crankshaft oil seal had worn out and causing this leak and was replaced.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-crankshaft-oil-seal.jpg

The insides of the gearbox was also thoroughly cleaned during this.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-gear-box-cleaning.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-gear-box-cleaning-1.jpg

Coolant flush:
After draining the coolant, a round of flushing with pressure wash was also done to wash out any deposits of rust in the plumbing lines.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-coolant-flush-out.jpg

Engine Oil:
This time I chose to go for fully synthetic engine oil against all the usual recommendations we have that for an engine that has clocked so much. Before that, duly used a can of Abro flush before draining out the oil and replacing it with Shell Helix 5W30 Fully Synthetic Oil.

When the spark plugs were removed for cleaning, none of the 4 plugs had the minutest hint of a weak compression (oil deposits). Although this was no proper way to confirm that all was well, clean plugs were certainly a good feeling. Also, my wife hardly rushes on the accelerator pedal and seldom crosses 60-70 KMPH which ensured that the engine really was living its life peacefully.

Suspension:I had purchased all the suspension parts from an MGP store. Many thanks to Leoshashi for his help with respect to finding the right part numbers. I simply had to call and ask for their availability and upon confirmation, I merely drove 10 minutes to this shop near my home and picked them up myself.

Few images of the suspension replacement along with the condition of current lower arms:
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-front-new-suspension-1.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-front-new-suspension.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-lower-arms.jpg

Alignment and Balancing:
This is still due and I had told the FNG that I will prefer to get it done outside, preferably Madhus. However, I took NICE road on return from this place and did some good speeds and realised that there was no wobble above 100KMPH or pull towards one particular side. Given the fact that most of the suspension components were replaced, a round of alignment and balancing is due this week.

Overall impression after service:
I took delivery of the car last Saturday. I purposely wanted to drive via NICE road (FNG was at Begur Road) so that I could do a proper TD on highway speeds and mark the differences with respect to engine note, acceleration, braking and more.

As expected, with so many parts replaced on time, and with Synthetic Oil for diet and new clutch to accelerate, driving this one was simply awesome. The throttle response was quick (0-60), thanks to the new clutch and a round of Throttle body cleaning. Braking was tested on an empty stretch of Link road and was perfectly satisfactory - Good bite and not spongy.

Overall, I would like to say that this Tallboy is now fit for another 100,000 Km and still has that 'Go anywhere, Go any far' capability. Will still love to say that this one has really been one niggle-free car even at this age (Km)!

Some parting shots:

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-cluster-3.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-dash-1.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-exterior-1.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-exterior-2.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-exterior-3.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-exterior-4.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-exterior-5.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-exterior-6.jpg

Alongside its longer oil burning companion:

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-parking-2.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th February 2019 at 12:56.
paragsachania is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 10:46   #394
BHPian

re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!

This has to be the mileage champion of all Wagon R s sold in the country & still running. Kudos to you for having put so much effort into keeping it road worthy
This speaks volumes about Maruti's engineering; budget quality & less-than-solid build notwithstanding.

Quote:
Here are the details of the major service
Could you please share the service cost?
superbad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 11:14   #395
BHPian

paragsachania,
This post of your tall boy gave me one really nostalgia moment. She so brilliant and shiny.
It made me really miss my sweet little tall boy that I had to part with in 2010. I had her here in Mumbai till 2008 then kept her in my home town with my uncle to use and run so when I was down could cherish those Jim-dandy moments.
Had to part with her due to age catching up and too many car to run at home she would be unused for long spells of time.
She was my white VXI 2002 steed.I had redone the interior in red with added on CD changer besides the cassette player with 8 speakers and sub . She had Aura Alloy rims with the factory fitted rear spoiler and was the apple of my eye! SHE WAS THE OTHER WOMAN IN MY LIFE
Oh! how I so wish could get her back and bring her to her glory days but law of the land is so cruel .......... in the cities in particular........... to say the least.
Cheers, May you have many more Munching Miles!
Attached Thumbnails
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-dscn0667.jpg  

ToothyPetrohead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 11:17   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Could you please share the service cost?
Attached below is the bill. The first image shows the total cost spent at the FNG.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-bill-1.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-bill-2.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-bill-3.jpg

Apart from this, I also spent on the following:

Rear Suspension - LHS 850/-
Rear suspension - RHS 850/-
Lower Arm - LHS 501/-
Lower Arm - RHS 501/-
Front Suspension Set - LHS 2878/-
Front Suspension Set - RHS 2878/-
Engine Oil - Shell Helix 5w30 3375/- 4 Liter Can
---------------------------------------------------------------
Total 11833/
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hence, the total spending was 16474 + 11833 = 28307/-.

This is fair considering that there was lot of wear and tear parts that were replaced.

PS : Since the Workshop belongs to my friend, I am masking any details that would in a way advertise it at this point.

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th February 2019 at 11:21.
paragsachania is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 12:36   #397
Senior - BHPian

Awesome job, Parag! Car looks brand new now, and I am sure if feels like one too.

The cost is dirt cheap, and I guess it would have been nearly 50% more at a MASS.

Wish you many more miles on it. By the way, what is the yellow strip on the right headlamp?
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 12:44   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The cost is dirt cheap, and I guess it would have been nearly 50% more at a MASS.
On Labor, I will reserve my comments because in 2011, I had replaced exact parts at MASS (Dealer workshop) along with 2 Drive Shafts as well as Cat-Con and that Service bill was 32,000/-.

I wish the labor can still be competitive if one needs to differentiate between MASS and FNG. But parts are still cheap - Look at the costs for Clutch and brakes for example. And the best part is that you get them even after 13 years (And nearly 20 years of its launch) quite easily.

Quote:
Wish you many more miles on it. By the way, what is the yellow strip on the right headlamp?
Thank you so much. The Yellow strip has been there since I made the first trip to Gujarat in 2011 and few later and GQ in 2012; to abide by the rule then. I haven't removed it at all.

For the way the car feels now, I am keen to take him to Gujarat again .

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th February 2019 at 12:51.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 14:49   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Man, that's lovely! While we can bash Maruti on the build quality, this is the MAJOR reason why these sell in loads compared to other players. The parts are easily available and doesn't cost much. And finding knowledgeable mechanics is even easier.

I should send this link to my dad who says any cars are troublesome after 40K kms and use it as a reason to replace his cars every 5 years (he upgraded from a Wagon R to next gen Wagon R is a different thing altogether. ). Wish you many more miles on this practical car. As much as I hate to drive a Wagon R, I agree this is a comfortable car for the middle age / senior folks with it high seating position.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th February 2019 at 14:51.
swiftnfurious is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 02:18   #400
Senior - BHPian

Incredible! That's a car that could fool someone into thinking it had 47k on the clock.

Weird question, but why is the front number plate not centered? It seems to be all Wagon Rs, not yours alone.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 08:13   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Weird question, but why is the front number plate not centered? It seems to be all Wagon Rs, not yours alone.
I think the placement of the number plate on the side against center is to do with the presence of the condensor and radiator behind that bumper and to ensure optimal air flow.

I recollect new generation WagonRs have this issue addressed.
Old 20th February 2019, 13:07   #402
BHPian

Hats Off to your dedication Parag Bhai

Your thread gives me utmost confidence to take my 60K kms driven Ritz VDi to a FNG for Suspension Overhaul and Injector issue diagnosis.

I was taking the car to MSM over the last 5.5 years.

Also, I'm surprised that the MGP in Bangalore is patient enough to answer queries over phone. Probably you are a regular customer

Here in Chennai, they give a cold reply when you ask queries over phone.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 21:46   #403
Senior - BHPian

Yoour WagonR continues to amaze me. Now, respect is two fold as its still maintained pristine though you dont drive it regularly! Am sure its a good candidate to touch 3.5/4L as a bare minimum.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 15:53   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Overall impression after service:

Overall, I would like to say that this Tallboy is now fit for another 100,000 Km and still has that 'Go anywhere, Go any far' capability. Will still love to say that this one has really been one niggle-free car even at this age (Km)!
Great job sir.
The car really looks like a brand new and no one would believe it had a 6 digit on its odo.
Keep munching more miles in the tall boy.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 13:39   #405
BHPian

Impressive job indeed. If possible please replace the front brake hose. Those rubber hose look really aged. My in-laws Wagon R 2008 model ran only 16K kms.

Last edited by vijaycool : 23rd February 2019 at 13:42.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks