Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2009, 12:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellster View Post
My wagon R also is going in for a 70k service. After reading your post, yes I also suffer from knocking and jerky pickup with stock spark plugs especially with AC on and at low end torque

Would you recommend that I put bosch? If bosch, then which one? There are bosch ltd, bosch super, bosch super plus and bosch super 4 available. I have heard bad stories about bosch super 4, especially of low mileage. Which one do you have?
Have responded to your PM with all details.
Old 30th October 2009, 14:10   #17
BHPian

I have PM'd the same questions to paragsachina and he was kind and prompt enough to respond. Below are his experienced suggestions for the general good of wagon R owners

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Find my response in Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellster
My wagon R also is going in for a 70k service. After reading your post, yes I also suffer from knocking and jerky pickup with stock spark plugs especially with AC on and at low end torque

Would you recommend that I put bosch? If bosch, then which one? There are bosch ltd, bosch super, bosch super plus and bosch super 4 available. I have heard bad stories about bosch super 4, especially of low mileage. Which one do you have?
Apart from this, what engine oil do you suggest? My car is mod free. This is what I plan to get done. Do you suggest anything more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania
Install just the BOSCH Super plugs and I have been using them since the past 30k Kms and they are much better than the stock ones. Also they come with a pre-set gap of .8/.9 mm and hence no need to adjust gap while fitting too. There are no mileage drops and I can guarantee you this and I have been fitting them by myself.

1. Engine flushing to be done with ows flush
Recommended
2. Engine decarb
Recommended
3. Fuel injector cleaning - do you suggest any brand?
I am not sure if they use the Fuel Injection Cleaning aparatus (Mostly used at upmarket MASS) or just cleaning using high pressure air.
After service, I advise yo use OWS 360 in one full tank and just see the difference. I will not promise any power increase but surely you'll realise that the driving becomes effortless with lesser gear changes due to better injection.
4. Flush radiator
Haven't got this done till now. Not sure if you will require this at all as long as the Temperature needle is behaving normal.
5. Engine oil change to synthetic - shell ultra or 6. castrol magnatec 15w40
Synthetic will give better results for one reason that at 70k the compression might (might again) have got a bit less and the synthetic oil's film will ensure that the orginal compression is got back.
7. Change oil filter - Do you suggest any particular filter?
Go with MGP filters. Purolator or any other MGP brand.
8. Gear oil change - Shell Spirax GX 80W/90 -synthetic
Synthetic will be better
9. AC compresser cleaning
Wont need this. I am using AC since my purchase all along as I always drive with windows rolled up. Recent service I had asked them to check AC Comp gas and all was fine. Get this cleaned (Refilled) only if you feel that the chilling is not up to the mark.
10. Break oil check for leakage - Do you suggest any particular break oil?
All brake oils are the same since the brakes function on hydraulics. Just use the regular one and you can check for leakage if required. I have driven my car in all terrains, some times worst and still there are no signs of leakage.
11. Front shocks check for struts/bush - How much do front/back shocks cost?
Very cheap. I dont have the bill with me right now but you can get all 4 shocks (along with supporting parts) replaced within 8k. Why not buy the part from shop which sell MGP and get them fitted. I made this mistake since I found this shop in Bangalore only after fitting them at the MASS where I was charged a bomb for VAT and Service Tax.
12. Front shocks check for smoothness
Normal Shocks. I think they are good
13. Car makes krrrrrrrr sound from the engine bay at low end torque when goes in knee deep water -
what could be the problem
If this sound is while in movement in knee deep water, check the belts, they might be wet or even the Brake Pads and Shoes for brushing against the drums/discs. I guess this should vanish once you get the brakes cleaned.
14. Breaks failed when driven in knee deep water
Front brakes are Discs and there no possibilty for them to fail though there will be a drop in braking efficiency since the rear brakes are drums and while in water they usually take time to function due to loss of friction between shoes and drums. I still suspect that if they are failing miserably, it is to do with the Shoes and Pads. Have them checked
15. Front break disc pads - check
16. Front break calipers - check for adjustment
17. check if front axle is properly aligned
Why would you want to get this done? are you experiencing pulling, drifting??
18. Rear break shoes - makes noise at low speed breaking
Have them cleaned and replaced if required. Mud particles and rusted drums are the cause.
19. Change spark plugs - Do you recommend
Yes, please change them.
Bosch super plugs and what is its cost?
A set of 4 will cost you around 260 with taxes.
20. Timing belt - check and replace
Just check, ideal replacement should happen only after 1lakh Kms.
21. Throttle body cleaning
Yes, Get this done
22. Check AC compressor belt
Again, just get this checked, if slack, then replace.

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2011 at 13:01. Reason: Removing naked quote tag
Schnellster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2009, 06:30   #18
BHPian

We too had Wagon R , but sold it off as Dad use to feel while reversing he might just run over a small kid & for that reason he use to always reverse very carefully.
had done about 30XXX kms or so.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:15   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

100000 Kms now!!

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-wagonrlxi.jpg
DOB - 24th March 2006
Name – WagonR Lxi
Father – Suzuki
Mother – Maruti (for bringing up this model in India)
Location – Bangalore/Pune, India
Looks – Average, Tall boy
Color – Pearl Silver
Age- 100350 Kms
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2271.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2273.jpg

Statistical facts:

Mileage: Best – 19.25kmpl (with 50% AC), Worst – 12.50kmpl (With 100% AC)
Usage – 60% Highways and 40% city.
Load – Usually 4 Adults on Highways and single in the City.
Longest non- stop route covered – Pune – Bangalore, 850 Kms, through the night in 10:45 Hours with quick little breaks to empty natural saline water.
Maximum Speed achieved – 165 Kmph on Mumbai – Pune expressway for about 5 seconds when the ODO was reading 80000+ kms.
Usual highway straight-line speeds – 90kmph and 120kmph.
Usual drives – Bangalore – Belur (220Kms) & Bangalore – Pune (850kms)

Other vital Specs:

Engine – Stock 1.1 16 Valve MPFI

Air Filter – Replaced stock with K&N

Tires – Replaced Stock@50000 Kms with Bridgestone 155/65/R13 and this will last for another 10k Kms.

Spark Plugs – Have been replacing with Bosch Super every 20000 kms.

Engine Oil, Gearbox Oil and Coolant – MGP (Usually changed at MASS)

Drum Brake Shoes – Replaced once@70000 Kms

Disc Brake Pads – Replaced first@40000 Kms and second@98000 Kms

Clutch Assembly – Replaced stock@73000 (Had issues with the new one and again replaced (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nt-wagonr.html). Problem was solved with Ceekay brand clutch.

Battery – Stock, Has drained completely twice till now for having left the Parking lights ON overnight.

Accidents – None (Touchwood).

Incidents – Rear axle replaced after it got bent while we jumped over a newly laid unmarked speed-breaker between Belur- Hassan at 80kmph with 4 adults and luggage. Chassis and suspensions were perfect on diagnosis but the axle was found to be bent making the rear wheels appear as / \ like a badly maintained Indicab.

Breakdowns – None.

ICE:
Head Unit: Pioneer DEH 4750
Front Speakers – 4” Boston.
Rear Speakers – 6” Xenos Components on Home made, detachable Boxes (Will Include pictures later).
Amplifier – JBL GTO A 604.

Modifications/Major Changes:

Steering Wheel:
Old rim like stock steering wheel replaced with the 3 spoke wheel of the current WagonR.

Head lamps:
Changed to 90/100 Philips with Cut off and Relay.

Damping:
1.Stock Floor Carpet covered with one more set of carpet over a 5mm rubber mat.
2.All 4 doors (Except the boot door) damped with carpet material.

Remote Boot lid opener:
Accomplished this on my WagonR after going through various threads/posts in T-Bhp on Alto and the Ikon. Details are available here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...t-release.html

Epilogue:
I am 6’3” and for having owned, driven, used and abused this tallboy for over 4 years, I have my sincere acknowledgements to this little hatch which has never let me down anywhere, anytime. We usually drive as a family of 4 to Pune or Belur and we have never given a second thought on travelling these distances. This being the only car in my Family is also another reason that we have no other options but apart from this reason, having driven this primarily over the highways too has been the deciding factor to just hop on and drive off to our destinations rather than having anxious thoughts about its handling abilities and et al.

Tallboys are not speed demons to burn the tarmac or measure the G-forces while on those fast curves. Every driver will accept the limitations of any car and so do I but not before mentioning the fact that this car is also an able handler on the highways if tamed and understood well about its behavior & limitations else I would never have done 8 Pune-Bangalore-Pune trips in the past 6 months recently.
With the best of the bootspace in its class and thanks to its distinct and boxier looks, carrying luggage has never been a problem and we have shifted home twice in this MAV.
Mine was the reclining rear seat version and my Wifey and Mom enjoy their comfort in Pushback mode while on longer journeys. A boon to have in a car of this class.
The Damping job was well accomplished by myself & Dad at home that the engine is still silent at higher revolutions. Since it is always driven single handedly by myself, the smoothness and refinement levels , at least when you compare it with the models of this era, are commendable. At times I can compare it with the latest cars in this class now.

I Intend to keep this priced possession of mine for years to come and also have lined up a few goodies like Skirting, Alloys, Mesh grill in months to come. Shall keep you posted on these developments.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th February 2010 at 13:23.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2010, 13:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

I've this peculiar problem & unable to fix this till date, do you have any suggestions for me?
1. Shifting from 4th to 5th gear is always a pain & need hard efforts
2. Need to consciously put effort when releasing the clutch after shifting gear (not applicable from 1st gear or taking from stand still) otherwise the vehicle jerks. I've this problem only on my WagonR & not on any other WagonR, Santro, Zen (97 model), Innova or any other vehicle I've driven

I've been telling this to M.A.S.S for last 4 years now & they always say some reason or other & after each service for few 100 kms the problem seem to disappear & then appear again. I'm seriously thinking of servicing my vehicle at a local garage. So just before that, I thought I could take your opinion. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Background - Mine has clocked 40000 Kms & have been regularly servicing at M.A.S.S till date that includes 20000 & 40000 master servicing.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

The WagonR is such a good city car that its actually hard to find a proper "upgrade" for this car in the market.
The clever use of cubbyholes , reclining seats (old model), effortless power steering, big boot and front seat space for tall drivers is just amazing!
Old 9th February 2010, 16:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
1. Shifting from 4th to 5th gear is always a pain & need hard efforts
WagonR's gearbox is not at all comparable to any cars even from its generation but usually one gets used to its notchy shift and it is not difficult to shift gears but definitely not smooth either.
You can replace the gearbox oil (am sure this has been done) and also check and lubricate the gear shift mechanism by examining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
2. Need to consciously put effort when releasing the clutch after shifting gear (not applicable from 1st gear or taking from stand still) otherwise the vehicle jerks. I've this problem only on my WagonR & not on any other WagonR, Santro, Zen (97 model), Innova or any other vehicle I've driven
I had an almost similar problem (Reported in one of my posts) and eventually the culprit was the clucth plate itself. My stock clutch has no issues except that it had become hard and needed replacement at 73k.
The one which was replaced was "Valeo" and the one which is working fine now is a "Ceekay". I could find immediate difference and the problem was resolved..
You can check and get the clutch play adjusted.
You can dismantle the clutch assembly and check your brand and even examine for any abnormal wear and tear. If MASS advises replacement, ensure then you can try with "Ceekay" (If your stock is a Valeo).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2010, 11:18   #23
BHPian

@paragsachania, how much does the new steering wheel cost including fitting? did you get the fitting done at MASS or anywhere else?
Old 26th March 2010, 11:51   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie View Post
@paragsachania, how much does the new steering wheel cost including fitting? did you get the fitting done at MASS or anywhere else?
IIRC, the cost of the steering wheel is 750/- and you pay additional 75/- for the steering wheel cap sporting that Suzuki monogram on it.

Replacement is very straightforward and easy which can be handled by any known mechanic and you needn't go to a MASS at all.

Simply open the steering wheel cap and remove the nut and pull out the steering. Put the new steering after ensuring centre position and tighten the bolt and fix the new cap above the wheel. I think a known mechanic to whom you are frequent should do this for free !

Better buy from MGP Dealer ( ESSAR or Neema in Bangalore) since MASS like Mandovi, RNS , Pratham and 'et al will not support this retrofitment which they did to me completely ruling out the possibility of compatibility of the new steering in the previous model.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th March 2010 at 11:53.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
IIRC, the cost of the steering wheel is 750/- and you pay additional 75/- for the steering wheel cap sporting that Suzuki monogram on it.

Replacement is very straightforward and easy which can be handled by any known mechanic and you needn't go to a MASS at all.

Simply open the steering wheel cap and remove the nut and pull out the steering. Put the new steering after ensuring centre position and tighten the bolt and fix the new cap above the wheel. I think a known mechanic to whom you are frequent should do this for free !

Better buy from MGP Dealer ( ESSAR or Neema in Bangalore) since MASS like Mandovi, RNS , Pratham and 'et al will not support this retrofitment which they did to me completely ruling out the possibility of compatibility of the new steering in the previous model.
Thanks for the reply. Can you let know the nearest mgp dealer from corporation circle, please?
Old 26th March 2010, 12:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nicely maintained wagonr. Four years and 100K, I envy you

Do you know a place (not MASS or MAD) in Pune who sells MGPs?

Quote:
Sai Service - Phugewadi has MGP counter sales
Thanks so much. It was quick.
I will try them. Sai service at Deccan had refused counter sales, though. They wanted me to park my car in their workshop so that they could do the fitment, as (allegedly) MSIL have advised them not to do counter sales from MASS as it eats into the business of standalone MGP distributors. Another MASS too echoed this theory.

cheers,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 26th March 2010 at 12:14. Reason: combine posts
Old 26th March 2010, 12:07   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Nicely maintained wagonr. Four years and 100K, I envy you

Do you know a place (not MASS or MAD) in Pune who sells MGPs?

cheers,
-BJ
Sai Service - Phugewadi has MGP counter sales. Just walk in and buy what you want. Steering shouldn't be a problem and if there is no stock, you can order one. Though a MASS/MAD, one can normally purchase any Maruti part. I've done it when I was there a few months back and this is the place where you want get "no stocks" response rather than their Nana Peth branch.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th March 2010 at 12:11.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:25   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Can you let know the nearest mgp dealer from corporation circle, please?
ESSAR Automotive is the nearest from Corporation Circle. It is on Siddaiah Rd but easily approcable from Lalbagh or JC Road.

If from Lalbagh Road, make sure that you park your vehicle somewhere before Urvashi Theatre (Parking after this is impossible) and then at the Urvashi Theatre signal, walk right (it is a one way and is called Siddaiah Road) for about ~100 meters and you will be able to locate ESSAR on the left hand side.

From JC road, Take right at the first signal after Minerva circle and you will be on Siddaiah Rd. Keep moving and just before ~100 meters from the Lalbagh Road Intersection you will find ESSAR on the right hand side.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th March 2010 at 12:28.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
ESSAR Automotive is the nearest from Corporation Circle. It is on Siddaiah Rd but easily approcable from Lalbagh or JC Road.

If from Lalbagh Road, make sure that you park your vehicle somewhere before Urvashi Theatre (Parking after this is impossible) and then at the Urvashi Theatre signal, walk right (it is a one way and is called Siddaiah Road) for about ~100 meters and you will be able to locate ESSAR on the left hand side.

From JC road, Take right at the first signal after Minerva circle and you will be on Siddaiah Rd. Keep moving and just before ~100 meters from the Lalbagh Road Intersection you will find ESSAR on the right hand side.
Thanks for the info, I will be going there today or tomorrow...

small query, how's is the handling and comfort after fitting the new steering wheel? any un-forseen issues did you face after getting the new wheel fitted?
Old 26th March 2010, 19:13   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I will be going there today or tomorrow...

small query, how's is the handling and comfort after fitting the new steering wheel? any un-forseen issues did you face after getting the new wheel fitted?
I don't think handling is an issue by just replacing the OE steering with a little thicker steering wheel. There is a better grip due to its thickness and 3 spoke design also makes it easy to access the horn from any position on the steering wheel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks