Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 09:55   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I don't think handling is an issue by just replacing the OE steering with a little thicker steering wheel. There is a better grip due to its thickness and 3 spoke design also makes it easy to access the horn from any position on the steering wheel.
Thanks for the update, could not make it out last week, been busy with some last minute tasks. probably will go this week.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:35   #32
BHPian

Got the Steering wheel changed yesterday to the new 3-spoke one. Being a bit small(I just compared with the older one, could be around one or half centimeter smaller in diameter), the hold of the new wheel is good. I also felt that the grip is very good and quick during the turns.

Got this changed at MASS near my house, asked the supervisor to get the nitrogen topped up and then requested him to get the wheel changed with the one I bought. He initially denied saying retrofitments are not allowed, they will not have stock etc, but agreed when I told him that only wheel has to be changed, and I had bought the whole kit required.

Costed me a total of 944/- at Essar.

Thanks @paragsachania for pointing me to Essar and for the updates.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:39   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Steering Wheel:
Old rim like stock steering wheel replaced with the 3 spoke wheel of the current WagonR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie View Post
Got the Steering wheel changed yesterday to the new 3-spoke one.
Can you post pictures please?

Being the owner of a 2004 model myself, I am very interested in going for this mod. The 3 spoke wheel looks much better compared to the old 2 spoke steering!
Old 7th May 2010, 15:11   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Can you post pictures please?

Being the owner of a 2004 model myself, I am very interested in going for this mod. The 3 spoke wheel looks much better compared to the old 2 spoke steering!
Here you go:
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-07052010.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-07052010001.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2010, 16:10   #35
BHPian

Congratulations on 100K. Welcome to the Club!!!
Old 13th May 2010, 13:32   #36
BHPian

Hi, Congrats on 1 Lakh kms on your Wagon-R. I also own a Wagon-R Vxi (new type) and have done 19k kms in 2 years (less na !!).

I want to share my experience and get some gyan from you. The gear shifting from 3rd to 2nd & from 4th to 5th and the reverse all seem to be a little hard and sometimes the gear changes do not come off easily. Is it due to underuse ? How do you address the problem of tightness in the gears ?

Otherwise it is a VFM car and i am happy with it right now. I have stock rims & MRF ZVTS 155/70 R 13 tyres. Can the ride quality / suspension improve if i upgrade to alloys and a wider tyre ?

I also felt the car to be sluggish with AC on and when overtaking.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:04   #37
BHPian

Well although your query was directed elsewhere, but I will take the liberty to clear your doubt regarding improvement in ride quality after wheel change / upgrade

I recently changed my front 2 tyres (damaged due to towing) and replaced them with yokohama A drives 165/65 R13. Although the tyre upsize guide does not identify this as the right upgrade (w.r.t size), I found the improvement in ride quality to be AMAZING.

The bumpiness is all gone now. Earlier I could create an exact contour map of the roads due to all undulations being transferred to the drivers and passengers. Now after changing only the front 2 tyres ( rear are still stock), I am simply amazed at the reduction in noise, increase in smoothness and braking. The only Con is that steering becomes a bit heavy but its a small price to pay for the tremendous increase in the ride quality.

Hope this allays any concern that you might have regarding the tyre change.
Old 13th May 2010, 16:29   #38
BHPian

Thanx Nishant !!!

But, the norm is to change all the 5 tyres at one go, isn't it ?? You mean to say that you are driving with 2 wider tyres in the front, and the rear stock ones are not as wide as the front ones. right ?

But, you have underlined the difference in ride quality after changing just 2 front tyres. So, it must make a huge difference if you change all the 4 tyres.
Old 10th September 2010, 18:37   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Door damping and DIY Aux-In Connector for my ICE

Yoga mats came in handy through a friend of mine and hence damped all the doors today. Here are the pics:

1.The Yoga Mat

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2589.jpg

2. The marking and then the cutting of the mats

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2587.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2588.jpg

3. The adhesive was applied on both the door panels as well the mats

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2590.jpg

4. The Pasting and then cutting various sections to accomodate door lock mechanism. (Front and Rear door)

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2591.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2592.jpg

Would take her for a drive in a while from now and review the difference.

Also, Since I am happy with my current ICE with a HU (Pioneer DEH 4750) that comes 'Aux Input Ready', A few team-bhp links helped me get the pin diagram to create my own connector for AUX Input.

Here are the pictures:

1. Connection at the rear was made using a four motherboard LED pins that would fit in very well in such a small area. Four wires L+ L- and R+ R- according to the connection diagram I had searched in Team-Bhp.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2593.jpg

2. Two pairs of RCAs that come out from those 4 wires.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2594.jpg

3. The HU Playing in AUX Mode.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2595.jpg

4. These RCAs get connected to another set of RCA which has a standard 3.5mm jack on the other end that goes in directly to a compatible player.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2596.jpg

5. The MP3 Player connected to the 3.5mm jack

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2598.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th September 2010 at 18:44.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2010, 19:31   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

123456 KMS now!

4 years and 8 months and my Waggy’s ODO displayed something hard enough to ignore on day before and I captured it from my Cellphone camera – 123456!!
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-odo2.jpg
Indeed a very long number in a short period of time and she still loves to go miles over miles as I drive her in the city and over the highways.

Here are a few updates for my ride as on date:

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-statstilldate.jpg

Will I ever think of selling her?

Never and there is just one reason for me not to sell and that is because I admire my car for the way it has delivered without making a noise.
It met my requirement perfectly in 2006 when there were very less choices for my budget.

I am 6’ 3” and I fit in very well on the driver’s seat with still about 8 Inches of head-room left above my head.
The reclining rear seats is the best comfort I can give the rear passengers on a long drive even today.
The splitting rear seats that completely folded provided with option to make the seats a flatbed is just awesome and can only be a boon to this Model of WagonR only (Type1 and 2).
The generous bootspace and the fact that folding the rear seats completely can create a huge room to shift a house (I have done it twice so far) talks about its "Practicality" which no other hatch can match.

Away from the critics’ opinions on referring to this car only for city commute, I have mostly driven it on highways with my Wife and parents and now drive along with my new born daughter as well. And It hasn’t given me any scary moments while changing lanes at good speeds or braking for an emergency situation or taking turns are relatively faster speeds since I know the limitations of a tallboy like him and where I need to draw a line. Hence, I normally restrict to respond to many such posts that talk about its handling abilities or its Boxy looks since it is mostly a waste of time to argue on a subject that is subjective enough!!

The Engine after 124000Kms as of today is excellent and doesn’t show any signs of ageing. It is evident when the car is in Idle and I can sense no vibrations and same is the case when I rev it hard. My regular service advisors at MASS while taking the reading of the ODO for the Jobcard during service are amused that the car even after a lakh kilometers is smooth as new and I have always relished and rejoiced at this compliment from them all the times. The Drive shaft too doesn’t make any noise when turns are taken at full lock of the steering wheel.

Few Pics taken today on my way to work to complement the long-term ownership report:

(I was planning to wash the car thoroughly ensuring that the alloys shine but I was back from a trip to Belur yesterday and it was raning most of the places on the way back.)

Odometer reading today:
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-odo.jpg

Shots from the side to showcase the new alloys
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-side.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2768.jpg

Front with the DIY Mesh grill. See that it still needs some finishing.
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-front-bold.jpg

Some pictures of the Interiors that show the seat covers(redone about 4 months back), the floor mats and the condition of the plastics and dash after using them for over a lakh Kilometers and close to 5 years:

The Dashboard Including the 3 spoke steering wheel
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-dashclean.jpg

The front seats
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-front-seat.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-frontrow.jpg

Rear seats from the front
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-interiorall.jpg

The rear seats that also shows the DIY'd floor mat
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-rear-seat.jpg

The generous boot with custom made detachable speaker boxes
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-boot.jpg

The rear
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-rearclose.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-rearfar.jpg

Top speed recorded so far:
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-165kmph.jpg

(This was somewhere in November 2009 On the way back from Mumbai on the expressway to Pune)
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2010, 20:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Great going and nice review Parag. Mine is half as much (~55k) in about twice the years (~9years).

Yes, love the rear split seats. However, I have pretty much retired it with a rear parcel tray at the back. But, sometime back when I tried to make the passenger seat "full flat", it would foul with the rear LHS seat and I was not successful. Can you pls upload a pic with passenger side full flat. Maybe I am missing something?

I am also thinking of alloys now after so many years and my wife thinks I am crazy. How can I convince her...

-BJ
Old 24th November 2010, 23:57   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishant B View Post
165/65 R13. Although the tyre upsize guide does not identify this as the right upgrade (w.r.t size), I found the improvement in ride quality to be AMAZING.
Interesting. I might try this as well for the next tyre change. My WagonR is at 68k mark, and i might go for a tyre change around 75k mark.

Any negatives noticed for using 165/65 R13? Any big difference in mileage?
Quote:
123456!!
Congrats!
Quote:
Front with the DIY Mesh grill. See that it still needs some finishing.
Nice work!
Quote:
The Dashboard Including the 3 spoke steering wheel
I completely forgot about this mod! Need to ask about this one during the 70k service!
Quote:
The rear seats that also shows the DIY'd floor mat
Looking neat! Whats the material used?
Quote:
Top speed recorded so far:
Mine is just about 140+.

Some days, i feel like upgrading the car. And some days, it makes me think- why upgrade? Overall, mine has also been a fantastic ownership experience!

Only niggling factor- I somehow dont like the way the front left suspension tackles road irregularities. Transmits a drummy sound into the cabin. Need to damping. Where to get yogamats, and how much of it is needed for all roads?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2010, 13:06   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Great going and nice review Parag. Mine is half as much (~55k) in about twice the years (~9years).
Thanks BJ!

Quote:
Can you pls upload a pic with passenger side full flat. Maybe I am missing something?
Here you go. I had removed the art leather seat covers (First fitment) and then the service center folks in the name of cleaning the seats with a solution made it look this way with those spots.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_2512.jpg

The photo shows all 4 seats with the headrest removed and the front seats pulled completely forward else the front backrests wont fold fully flat. The rear back rests wont fold completely flat as you can see but still it forms an almost flat bed.

Quote:
I am also thinking of alloys now after so many years and my wife thinks I am crazy. How can I convince her...
-BJ
Well, Initially my wife was also apprehensive about the idea of alloy wheels but gave up on me knowing that fact that how much I have been driving this car and the liking I have it and also for the reason that she too has travelled long distances with me most of the times.

Quote:
Interesting. I might try this as well for the next tyre change. My WagonR is at 68k mark, and i might go for a tyre change around 75k mark.

Any negatives noticed for using 165/65 R13? Any big difference in mileage?
The best options are 155/65-13 and 165/60-13. The reason I say this is because I had them for about a fornight and never realised that they brush against the wheel arches with 4 passengers on board. You may not notice this unless you take them on Highways and pass over a few undulations or potholes. I strongly suggest to stick to the first two sizes mentioned. (I later got them changed to 155/65-13, thanks to Nikhil from Madhus, Bangalore) and everything is fine now.

Quote:
Nice work!
Thanks mate! But like I said, I am personally not satisfied with the quality of work I executed and hence would look forward to give it a final finishing job.

Quote:
I completely forgot about this mod! Need to ask about this one during the 70k service!
MASS may not take this Mod positively but you can convince them. Best option is to buy it from MGP Counter (Steering + The cover with the Suzuki Monogram would cost about 1000INR all inclusive) and get them fitted from a garage which is about 5 minute job.

Quote:
Looking neat! Whats the material used?
This material resembles the carpetting stuff typically used for flooring offices of IT companies available in plain colors and with designs as well which I then cut to shape.

Quote:
Some days, i feel like upgrading the car. And some days, it makes me think- why upgrade? Overall, mine has also been a fantastic ownership experience!
Exactly my thoughts too. We are a family of 5 including my wife, parents and my little daughter who is 9 months old. Unless she grows big enough to make her the 5th passenger I may not upgrade and even if I do, I have decided that It will be an SUV and not a sedan.

Quote:
Only niggling factor- I somehow dont like the way the front left suspension tackles road irregularities. Transmits a drummy sound into the cabin. Need to damping. Where to get yogamats, and how much of it is needed for all roads?
Not sure when you refer to only the left suspension and the drummy sound. I too had this thud-thud noise over potholes and then MASS diagnosed it to the brake calipers and greased it and the noise eliminated. You may want to get it checked too.

Myself and another Bhpian abhinavj01 who also owns a WagonR carried out the damping job at my house and he helped me in getting these Yoga mats from Hyderabad. IIRC, You will require 4 mats to damp all the 4 doors.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th November 2010 at 13:09.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 19:46   #44

re: Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 223,000 kms & the first accident

I have a Wagon R Vxi, 2009 model which has done about 22000kms. I have had to replace the front brakes, discs and pads since they had apparently worn out according to Bimal Service Center! Also I have been asked to replace the clutch since the gear shift is much harder than before and the pick up is not great. The fuel guage stopped working after a recent move from Gurgaon to Bangalore and had to replace the whole assembly losing the ODO readings as well. It got reset to "0".
My questions are:
1) Can the brakes wear out so soon? If yes, what could have been the reason.
2) What can I do with the clutch issue? It does feel hard but is there a way to check with someone else before I get it replaced if required.
3) With the original readings gone on the ODO, how does it impact the resale value etc.?
4) Finally, the car was perfect on 12th Nov, 2010 when I handed over to the movers. However, on the 20th Nov, 2010 when I picked up the car in Bangalore, all of these issues cropped up. Is it possible someone misused my car while keeping the ODO static?
Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 21:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 223,000 kms & the first accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushkarm View Post
...pick up is not great. ...
1) Can the brakes wear out so soon? If yes, what could have been the reason....Is it possible someone misused my car while keeping the ODO static?
Brakes usually do not wear so fast. Since, you say pickup is also retarded, the brakes might be holding the disc rotors and not freeing up completely. Pls check your front wheels rotate freely when you release brake.

It is easy to disconnect ODO cable. Your mover most probably used your car without your knowledge.

-BJ

Most Viewed