Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 10:04   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 223,000 kms & the first accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneOp View Post
Is this exclusively maintained at M.A.S.S? or you buy MGP and then give it to your mechanic to do repairs? or mix of both. Which services/repairs were done at A.S.C and which were done otherwise.
I wont say that I am a firm (and blind) believer in giving my vehicle to the ASC but so far, I have always given it at the ASC only. This is mainly for the reasons below:
  • In Bangalore, I have very good rapport with 2 ASCs where I am regular
  • With ASCs, I could be rest assured on using Genuine Parts
  • Almost all the service advisors or the mechanics had worked on my car at one point of time or the other over the last 8 years
  • Only once I gave my car to a FNG in Pune and was left dissatisfied
  • I have found the ASC's quick to assemble and refit most of the components - Experience of working on similar brand cars

Apart from that, I don't recall a single instance when I have left my car unattended. All the visits to the ASC and I am always near my car, seeing what is done, learning how it is done and helping me take crucial decisions on pro-active replacements.

Most of the vital components in the WagonR are pro-actively replaced - Clutch (Had good life but weaker clutch would put undue pressure on Engine), Suspension (One was leaking, other 3 were either weak or holding good,but I replaced all), Drive-Shaft (First drive shaft noise was around 145k kms, I replaced both though noise was only from one of them).

I have also been particular in terms of parts: If the ASC doesn't have it in stock, I first check with them before leaving the car and then drive to the MGP Dealer and buy them and come back to the ASC.

Over the last 3-4 years, I DIY spark plugs cleaning (Replacement as well), Brake caliper greasing, Throttle body cleaning, Interiors & Upholstery cleaning, Electricals. Also, since I manage to clean plugs and filter myself, whenever I give the car for "service" I only ask them to replace the fluids and never get charged for "Paid Service" which itself costs 1200 in Bangalore now and we all know what is done!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th April 2014 at 10:12.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 19:05   #242
BHPian

Greetings of the day!

1.Have a Wagon R, LXi, 2009 model.

2. Need advice as to how to go about some enhancements to be done at Bangalore:-

(a) Power windows

(b) NGK Spark Plugs

(c) Philips Extreme Vision bulbs

(d) Fog lamps

(e) Wiper blades

(f) Repair of 02 bead seat covers

3. Reside near HAL Old Airport.

Regards!
Old 9th April 2014, 21:06   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkar1710 View Post
(a) Power windows
You should get this at any renowned accessory shop. Sai Power Windows is something that I have seen in many WagonR's who have fitted from aftermarket: http://www.surabhint.com/

Quote:
(b) NGK Spark Plugs
DCPR7E is the OE Plug model for F10D Engine along with Champions. At NGK Authorized stockist (off JC Road) called Acura Autotech, you can get 3 models:
DCPR7E - Regular (Also available as MGP from a dealer)
DCPR7E - G Power
DCPR7E - IX (Iridium)

Quote:
(c) Philips Extreme Vision bulbs
You can get this at the Authorized Philips Automotive Lighting dealer on JC Road ( AK Traders, JC Road)

Quote:
(d) Fog lamps
MGA will cost you a bomb but check out again at accessory dealers for a better price. In terms of actual usage, I am not sure if you will be really happy about it except that it adds to the aesthetics when lit up.

Quote:
(e) Wiper blades
Not a fan of Bosch Wiper Blades anymore after buying them once. I would prefer the stock brand SYNDICATE (also seen them as OE in couple of display Hondas at a dealership). You should get them at JK Automobiles, JC road.
Quote:
(f) Repair of 02 bead seat covers
Didn't quite understand this? You referring to seat covers that had beads threaded like a Matrix used by folks around?

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th April 2014 at 21:07.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 08:17   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Didn't quite understand this? You referring to seat covers that had beads threaded like a Matrix used by folks around?
Thanks for the prompt response Parag!

Talking about the wooden-beads-seat-covers for front seats, bought from Channapatna.The strands are broken at some points and I thought of getting the entire thing redone.
Old 14th May 2014, 17:01   #245
BHPian

Im having a WagonR LXI Duo.

For the last one year or so mileage in petrol has dropped to around 10. But there is no drastic drop in LPG which is still giving around 10.

Had asked the service center to check multiple times but they could not get anything.

Once they detached the petrol inflow from the tank to engine and instead used a test device which can fill exactly (IIRC) 1 liter petrol and we drove with Ac on till that got exhausted. That time it clocked 15+.

SO the drop was attributed to my driving style which im finding difficult to accept. Reason - there is no drastic drop in LPG mileage and I was getting better mileage in petrol earlier. Any idea what the issue can be?
Old 15th May 2014, 08:18   #246
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Once they detached the petrol inflow from the tank to engine and instead used a test device which can fill exactly (IIRC) 1 liter petrol and we drove with Ac on till that got exhausted. That time it clocked 15+.

SO the drop was attributed to my driving style which im finding difficult to accept. Reason - there is no drastic drop in LPG mileage and I was getting better mileage in petrol earlier. Any idea what the issue can be?
Is the drop in FE only after the LPG conversion? If yes then there could be something related to the LPG kit.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 09:54   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is the drop in FE only after the LPG conversion? If yes then there could be something related to the LPG kit.

Anurag.
There is no LPG conversion done. Duo model comes with factory fitted LPG
Old 19th May 2014, 16:31   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Im having a WagonR LXI Duo.

For the last one year or so mileage in petrol has dropped to around 10. But there is no drastic drop in LPG which is still giving around 10.

Had asked the service center to check multiple times but they could not get anything.

I assume your running is in Bangalore city going by your location.

B2B traffic during peak hours, expect anything between 13-14KMPL Fuel efficiency in Petrol with around 70% AC usage.

I drive between 11:30AM and 9:00PM and extract around 15-16kmpl with similar AC usage. Ideally, the 30 Liter I fill (with 5 liters still left) easily lasts me anything between 450-470 kms every tank.

10KMPL what you mention is certainly on the lesser side. I am not sure how much FE one gets in LPG as I have rarely asked anyone but you must certainly get more with Petrol.

How many kms on the ODO now?
  • I would suggest to check the following one by one:
  • Health of the clutch
  • Health of all the 4 Spark Plugs - If you are on Champion, will suggest NGK DCPR7E - Which are also MGP for F10D Model
  • Did you check the tension for Water Pump belt?- If not, get this checked. A loose belt will make your Engine work more to run the compressor
  • Verify at Idle with Engine and AC running if you can listen to the "click" of the compressor relay cutting ON/OFF regularly
  • I would also suggest to check the throttle body for clogging
  • If there any distinct "pat-pat-pat..." noise with the engine running? Check with the ASC for tappet noise and get the tappet valve clearance adjusted - Make a significant difference in low end response as well as power on Tap situations from whatever I have noticed over the last 216k kms of ownership

I work out of EC and drive every weekday to North Bangalore area. You may want to meet up and I can check these things before commenting more?
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 10:45   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I assume your running is in Bangalore city going by your location.
Yes

Quote:
B2B traffic during peak hours, expect anything between 13-14KMPL Fuel efficiency in Petrol with around 70% AC usage.

I drive between 11:30AM and 9:00PM and extract around 15-16kmpl with similar AC usage. Ideally, the 30 Liter I fill (with 5 liters still left) easily lasts me anything between 450-470 kms every tank.
I drive at peak hours and with 100% AC mostly.
I either fill half tank or full with top up. refill mostly happens when its abouyt to be empty.

Quote:
10KMPL what you mention is certainly on the lesser side. I am not sure how much FE one gets in LPG as I have rarely asked anyone but you must certainly get more with Petrol.
For LPG - In city drive it used to be between 9-11. In highways it was, consistently 12.8
Highway FE has reduced to around 11. Im not too concerned about LPG figures.

Now petrol is giving about 11-12 in highways

Quote:
How many kms on the ODO now?

Quote:
  • I would suggest to check the following one by one:
  • Health of the clutch
  • Health of all the 4 Spark Plugs - If you are on Champion, will suggest NGK DCPR7E - Which are also MGP for F10D Model
  • Did you check the tension for Water Pump belt?- If not, get this checked. A loose belt will make your Engine work more to run the compressor
  • Verify at Idle with Engine and AC running if you can listen to the "click" of the compressor relay cutting ON/OFF regularly
  • I would also suggest to check the throttle body for clogging
  • If there any distinct "pat-pat-pat..." noise with the engine running? Check with the ASC for tappet noise and get the tappet valve clearance adjusted - Make a significant difference in low end response as well as power on Tap situations from whatever I have noticed over the last 216k kms of ownership

I work out of EC and drive every weekday to North Bangalore area. You may want to meet up and I can check these things before commenting more?
Thanks a lot for the detailed comment and the checklist. I will do it. And so nice of you to offer checking this personally. . Really appreciate that.

I was in Bommanahalli AMR tech park till recently but now shifted now. I am travelling to Kerala this Saturday and I dont think I can take it to service till I am back. Once I am back I will take it to Suraksha and will update you.
Thanks again
Old 20th May 2014, 10:50   #250
BHPian

We had one 2001 Wagon R and the car used to have quite a lot issues like suspension bush wearing out fast, EPS problem and then the gas guzzling nature of the very first lot of Wagon Rs. I have witnessed a mileage of 6-8 km/l with AC under a bit of hard driving (which I did only once in my entire ownership tenure as I couldn't dare to repeat the same coz of low mileage)
The car has never delivered above 13km/l under normal driving conditions. If you want to extract more you need to be very sensitive with throttle inputs and gear selection which makes you feel fatigue in long distances as a part of your concentration is constantly over extracting a decent mileage. Whereas a friend of mine had Santro which he used to rip a lot and always extracted 15 km/l.
sudeep.pandya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 22:20   #251
Senior - BHPian

Parag seems to have the knack of extracting more miles per liter, but in my 13-year old WagonR, the FE in summer with 100% AC in thick traffic hovers between 10.5 to 11.5 kmpl. In winter months it goes up by a km.

The car is mostly used by my daughter, and she does not switch off the car at traffic signals, unlike me.

But I suggest you get all the points checked that were suggested by Parag. I am making a note of those also, as my next service is due in a month.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 11:41   #252
BANNED

My 2007 Wagon R (1000 to go before its completes 1 lakh) consistently returns mileage of little between 14.5 and 15 with 100% AC in mixed traffic during summers. I drive 60 km everyday.

What also contributes to better mileage apart from how you drive is the integrity of the pump from where you take petrol. Apart from it always prefer to fill the tank full till its auto cut point. Tyre pressure is also very important but often overlooked factor.

Last edited by anandjha : 21st May 2014 at 11:44.
anandjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 16:48   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Parag seems to have the knack of extracting more miles per liter, but in my 13-year old WagonR, the FE in summer with 100% AC in thick traffic hovers between 10.5 to 11.5 kmpl. In winter months it goes up by a km.
If bad FE was the cause for concern, I may have never clocked so many kilometers.
In fact, a Tankful in the city consistently runs 430-450 Kms easily with 5 liters left. While on the my regular Bangalore-Pune runs, I always make it a point to refill at a BPCL COCO after Dharwad (My Trip meter around 438kms) and around 26-27 liter going in till auto cut-off.
My highway runs are always 100% AC - Always! Add to that, I travel with 3 adults and a toddler with luggage. The FE never changed even once.

The maximum FE that I ever extracted from the F10D was 19.XX kmpl when I never exceeded 90kmph and was driving with my dad to Pune. That one tank took me all the way into Maharashtra during that drive.

Quote:
The car is mostly used by my daughter, and she does not switch off the car at traffic signals, unlike me.
As of now, since OCT 2013, my wife drives it to work which is 9 kms away clocking 18-19 kms a day. She has this habit of refilling for 1000 Bucks and that lasts a week plus weekend errands in my neighborhood as Ertiga rests.

I am assuming the FE will be not more than 13KMPL in her case for sure.
Quote:
But I suggest you get all the points checked that were suggested by Parag. I am making a note of those also, as my next service is due in a month.
Please do. The F10D is a gem of an engine during its time and knowing how mine still hasn't lost even the slightest of grunt, I am sure the story would be the same with other owners who intend to keep it for long.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st May 2014 at 16:50.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 19:34   #254
Senior - BHPian

Few months ago, I was witnessing the same low FE & thought my driving has gone bad, that too on highways (read 12-13 kmpl on speeds up to 90). That was until I changed my clutch after that my FE is nearly 18 in triple digit speeds. This was my experience
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 15:33   #255
BANNED

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_20140529_140155.jpg

1000 km more to go for the landmark figure.

Mileage the car last returned was 18.55. On Yamuna Expressway. 444 km in total. With AC. Just me. No luggage. Consistent speed of 80-90 km/hr with occasional 100 km/hr or so

Last edited by anandjha : 29th May 2014 at 15:35.
anandjha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks