Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 19:23   #271
BANNED

re: Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 223,000 kms & the first accident

Butterfly valve on throttle body has developed a mind of its own. First, as I had mentioned earlier, it got stuck. About a month later after getting it inspected it used to stall the engine. On getting it opened the movement of the valve was found to be highly restricted. SVC did the needful. And now about 20 days later it resists deep accelerator presses. What could be the solution? Is it possible to replace only the butterfly valve or the whole throttle body needs to be replaced? I plan to visit the Service Centre tomorrow. Thanks.

Last edited by anandjha : 7th August 2014 at 19:26.
Old 7th August 2014, 19:33   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Butterfly valve on throttle body has developed a mind of its own. First, as I had mentioned earlier, it got stuck. About a month later after getting it inspected it used to stall the engine. On getting it opened the movement of the valve was found to be highly restricted. SVC did the needful. And now about 20 days later it resists deep accelerator presses. What could be the solution? Is it possible to replace only the butterfly valve or the whole throttle body needs to be replaced? I plan to visit the Service Centre tomorrow. Thanks.
Would suggest to lubricate the springs first. I don't think it can go faulty so easily.

Secondly, How healthy is your accelerator cable? A faulty/aged cable might be restricting the free movement of this butterfly valve directly linked to the throttle cable ending on the throttle body.

I would completely rule out the butterfly valve here. Try disconnecting the throttle cable first, then with your bare hands, move the lever (Where the throttle cable usually fits on the throttle body) and check if you are able to move the valve freely.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 20:00   #273
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Would suggest to lubricate the springs first. I don't think it can go faulty so easily.

Secondly, How healthy is your accelerator cable?

I would completely rule out the butterfly valve here. Try disconnecting the throttle cable first, then with your bare hands, move the lever (Where the throttle cable usually fits on the throttle body) and check if you are able to move the valve freely.
Accelerator cable is 1 lakh km old but it seems to be fine.

Yes, when I tried moving the butterfly valve (without disconnecting the cable) with my hands it started freely but there was a resistance after a while and once past it, it again moved freely. Will try to do it as suggested by you.
Old 7th August 2014, 22:53   #274
BANNED

Quote:

Accelerator cable is 1 lakh km old but it seems to be fine.
Why don't you change the accelerator cable as it is 1L kms old even though it is fine.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 10:03   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why don't you change the accelerator cable as it is 1L kms old even though it is fine.

Anurag.
I haven't changed it since Stock. I am one of those who replaces as preventive maintenance but the accelerator cable has been holding up super strong every time in inspect it. Not even one string has come out.
Old 8th August 2014, 10:10   #276
Senior - BHPian

BTW,Parag what is the cost of the accelerator cable?
Old 8th August 2014, 11:43   #277
BANNED

Thanks Parag and Anurag for your suggestions. It turned out to be a minor issue. The culprit was a screw which holds the plate to support the accelerator cable. It had turned loose and after the initial free movement was rubbing for a few cm in between against the plastic wing of the butterfly valve.

Felt bad for having hassled you for such a minor issue and about my limited knowledge about things under the bonnet . The only solace I could take from the fact that I pointed it out to the SA before he could. More so I have had word with him and he says that could be with my car in the workshop floor during servicing. Hope I would pick up few complicated things.

Last edited by anandjha : 8th August 2014 at 11:45.
anandjha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 15:36   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
BTW,Parag what is the cost of the accelerator cable?
No clue arnabchak but I suspect the price would be in the range of 500-600 and nothing more than that.

Quote:
The culprit was a screw which holds the plate to support the accelerator cable. It had turned loose and after the initial free movement was rubbing for a few cm in between against the plastic wing of the butterfly valve.
And hence I wondered. Throttle Body is well constructed to go faulty that soon. Butterfly valve is also solid and is supported by a very good spring that can ever become weak or break.
When you refer to the screw on the plate, I am sure you meant the black bakelite plate on the throttle body on which the accelerator cable ends?
Old 8th August 2014, 16:04   #279
BANNED

Quote:
When you refer to the screw on the plate, I am sure you meant the black bakelite plate on the throttle body on which the accelerator cable ends?
I think I am getting it all wrong here. Perhaps I dont know what butterfly valve is.

That black bakelite plate (on the throttle body on which the accelerator cable ends) was rubbing against the loose screw a little ahead of it.

This screw mounts the the plate which bends 90 degrees on its right (our left) on which the accelerator cable with its tightening arrangement rests before the wire comes out of its plastic casing eventually ending on that black bakelite thing.

I will send you a picture of it tomorrow. BTW what is that black bakelite thing called? The SA called it butterfly valve but I may be mixing things.
Old 8th August 2014, 16:40   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
------ Perhaps I dont know what butterfly valve is------------- The SA called it butterfly valve but I may be mixing things.
Butterfly valve is located inside the throttle body, on the intake manifold from where it opens/ closes as you press the gas pedal, in turn controlling the amount of air let into the engine. This air, in turn controls fuel intake by way of MPFi (or carbureted) system. Attaching a picture of the intake manifold. The shining yellow round metal part is the butterfly valve; probably named that way because its opening & closing resembles the wings of the butterfly.

Regards.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-tbbored.jpg
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 16:57   #281
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The shining yellow round metal part is the butterfly valve; probably named that way because its opening & closing resembles the wings of the butterfly.
Attachment 1272094
So I wasn't completely off-track. It was the black bakelite wing controlling the movement of the valve that was rubbing against the screw. The mounting for the screw can be seen ahead. Thank you.

Last edited by anandjha : 8th August 2014 at 16:58.
Old 9th August 2014, 12:06   #282
BANNED

The screw that had turned loose and was restricting the free movement of black bakelite throttle wing.
Attached Thumbnails
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_20140809_110301.jpg  

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_20140809_110307.jpg  

anandjha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 21:01   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The screw that had turned loose and was restricting the free movement of black bakelite throttle wing.
So it was indeed the right guess!
It so happened once that I was stationary at a traffic signal and when the lights turned green, I started moving and I began to realize that the Accelerator Pedal was "Dead" for 3/4th of flooring and "Alive" for only the rest of 1/4th making the throttle movement restricted to only 25%.
Since the traffic was dense, I continued moving and pulled over at a location ahead and opened the bonnet. I knew its got to do with either the cable or the Throttle body.
So I keep the engine running and try to move the Butterfly Valve by using my hands and twisting the plastic arm and realize the cable is almost dangling. Upon careful inspection, I got to know that the bakelite arm was dislocated from its actual position due to the loose screw.
I always have a screw driver in my car and quickly torqued the screw ensuring the arm is proper position and continued driving!
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 14:44   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The
Saket

Dear Saket and Parag,

Thanks for your help earlier.

Well Wagonr went to MASS and was coordinated by brother, as he was sure I will take it my FNG.

I am attaching the details of the cash memo of service.

they did add the usual balancing/ coolant/ tire balancing - addons.
Otherwise the car is running fine.

Thanks for everything.
Attached Thumbnails
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-new-doc_1.jpg  

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-new-doc_2.jpg  

ritz3645 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 22:17   #285
BHPian

How much did both these events cost?

Quote:
Yes, I changed that Twice so far but it was in the following sequence:

@65,000 Kms - Only the suspension struts and Bushes
@1,47,000 Kms - Suspension struts, Bushes, Lower Arms, Tie Rod, Steering Ball Joint ends.

I have not really cared too much for suspension on how much they last as it has been abused quite a lot between 2007-2011 too! Thanks to those horrible roads between Chitradurga-Haveri way back between 2007-2011 when the WagonR did the maximum Bangalore Pune runs.

What is still Stock:
Engine, Gearbox, Steering Rack assembly, Alternator Motor, AC-Water Pump, Each and every light component, Reflectors (Except a couple of blown Brake light and headlight bulbs), Fuel Pump, All the wheel bearings except one, All the brake slave cylinders except one!

Insurance claims:
Except for minor scratches on both the bumpers, there is no "Dent" anywhere on the car and I have perhaps wasted a lot paying up money towards premium over the last 7 years!

EDIT: I think the first suspension job was around 73-77k Kms and not at 65,000 kms (as I checked in my own thread here):
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1356735

Ho

Most Viewed