Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2014, 19:56   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 223,000 kms & the first accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
How much did both these events cost?
I don't recall precisely but the first event cost me around 6000 including a paid service and necessary fluid changes.
The second event was a major one and cost me above 20k as it involved clutch change, pair of drive shafts (first change at 147k this was) and much more as preventive maintenance as I was embarking on a 5000 kms drive then.

Further to that service at 1,47,000 kms, I have only been servicing the car every 10,000 kms for Fluid changes and nothing else. In fact, I replaced the plugs to Iridium and have a K&N stock replacement filter that I don't spent on either the Plugs of the filters every 20k kms!

The engine is as good as what I was at 40k kms and shows no signs of stress or anger that I am pushing it to limits!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 13:02   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Further to that service at 1,47,000 kms, I have only been servicing the car every 10,000 kms for Fluid changes and nothing else. In fact, I replaced the plugs to Iridium and have a K&N stock replacement filter that I don't spent on either the Plugs of the filters every 20k kms!

The engine is as good as what I was at 40k kms and shows no signs of stress or anger that I am pushing it to limits!
Very reassuring to hear such information from a fellow WagonR owner! I must confess that my struts, drive shafts and tie rods did not last that much, and had to be changed between 55 K to 65 K on the odo. Perhaps Hyderabad roads are bumpier and the fact that the car has seldom been used on the highway for the past 10 years might have caused more wear and tear.

I'm curious to know the benefits of Iridium spark plugs and the stock replacement filter from K&N. Do they prolong your service intervals?
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 19:53   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I'm curious to know the benefits of Iridium spark plugs and the stock replacement filter from K&N. Do they prolong your service intervals?
3 Primary benefits I have noticed with the Iridiums which have already clocked almost or more than 50k in my WagonR:
  • Better spark at very low revs
  • Negligible Carbon Deposit on the plugs
  • Replacement interval
I have always mentioned that with Iridium I felt driving on B2B traffic at very low revs with your AC On on that tiny 1.1L F10D is a better feeling than with the stock plugs. Apart from this, these plugs are very rev friendly that I have hit some very good speeds (revs) in the first 3 gears when I was testing them (wouldn't want to explicitly mention about the numbers here). All this on a car that had already clocked 2L kms and it still performed fantastically.

K&N on the other hand is a lifetime replacement filter that only requires periodic cleaning and I have bought the K&N cleaning Kit as well and do it as DIY. If you ask me, it is way too difficult to assess the difference between teh Stock and the K&N replacement filter unless the car is taken out on Highways over a long distance.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 23:20   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

@2197xx Kms - Latest Pictures

Pictorial update on how the car is holding up nearing 220000 kms!
The WagonR has been witnessing a daily run of approximately 24 kms ever since my better half started to drive to work since almost a year now. As of today, the ODO is around 219,7xx kms and should reach the 220k milestone in coming days.

I am more than delighted to share the latest pictures of this lovely Tallboy in this update on this thread to keep the spirits high on this ownership review.

The Speedo Console:
Obviously, this has to be the opening picture for this post. For eye candy as well as the latest ODO reading as of today noon.My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-speedo.jpg

The Dashboard:
I don't recall any specific occasion or a reason to drive windows rolled down. Hence the Dashboard and related interiors have been extremely clean and tidy even on this day when the car has aged around 8.5 years of owning and a lot of driving too!
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-dash-01.jpg
Steering towards the 220k Milestone(Retrofitting of type 3 WagonR steering way back in 2010)!:
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-steering.jpg

AC Controls:
No Abuse, No fiddling around and look how the stock control buttons are holding up even today. No signs of ageing seen actually.
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-ac-controls-01.jpg

A closer look at the AC Control Buttons:

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-ac-controls-02.jpg

Plastics & their quality:
Generous amount of plastics were used in this variant and that can be seen everywhere as soon as one steps into the car. Having driven with my family to a lot of destinations, and perhaps ensuring to keep the windows rolled up, have a look at the stock plastic fittings from various sections:
Door Pads:
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-dp-01.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-door-pads-02.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-door-pads-03.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-door-pads-04.jpg

Floor Plastics:
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-scuff-plate-01.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-scuff-plate-02.jpg

Gear Knob:
Yes, this is stock!
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-gear-knob.jpg

Door Opening Levers:
Wondering in those 220k kms clocked, how many times has these door opening handles have been operated. But this is how they look today!
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-door-lever-driver.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-door-lever-front-left.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-door-lever-rear-left.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-door-lever-rear-right.jpg

Pedals
Personally, this is my favorite pic and there is a reason behind it. I have seen WagonRs done less than 50k on the ODO with all the 3 pedals hinting signs of use. Was surprised how beautifully these are living its life since the last 8.5 years. Oh Sorry, forget the years, its living since the past 220k kms of ABCing!
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-pedals.jpg

These Stalks are stock
The lettering has still not vanished completely with at least a lakh flashes of Hi-Lo during those numerous night drives!
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-stalk-01.jpgMy Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-stalk-02.jpg

Seats and the Interiors:
The seat covers were installed for the second time in 2010 while the first set was in 2006. The Original cover is still intact though.
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-seats01.jpg

Head and Tail Lamp assembly:
Both the headlight clusters are stock with 100/90w Philips Rally and Relay kit added in 2008 (Odo should be around 60k kms then). May have replaced bulbs may be thrice each on both sides.
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-headlight-left.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-headlight-right.jpg

The front grille:

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-front-grille.jpg

The Tail lamp cluster however was replaced on one occasion (right only) when a typical cabbie in his Sumo hit it from behind resulting in a crack. The left one is still stock.
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-tail-left.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-tail-right.jpg

Engine Bay:
That's the Original heart that is by far the most dependable one I have personally come across. Runs like charm even today and returns the same FE as it did on day 1.
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-engine-bay-01.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-engine-bay-02.jpg

And now, the car in flesh, in and out, left and right, after 8.5 years and nearly 220k on the ODO:

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-side-profile-01.jpg
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-side-profile-right.jpg
Note: No Polish, No 3M car care Visits, just regular washing at home or occasional pressure washing near home.

Shines in the darkest dark!:
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-dash-night.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th November 2014 at 23:27.
paragsachania is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 11:46   #290
BHPian

Re: @2197xx Kms - Latest Pictures

Quote:
The WagonR has been witnessing a daily run of approximately 24 kms ever since my better half started to drive to work since almost a year now. As of today, the ODO is around 219,7xx kms and should reach the 220k milestone in coming days.
I dearly miss this model which I had owned from 2006-2012 (my first car). Although I did not do as much kms as you, but it served me well. Compared to the 2011 manufactured WagonR Duo which I currently own, the build quality of the 2006 model is extremely good and it saved me big time in an accident (my mistake though) where four of us did not suffer any injury at all in a head-on collision at around 70-80 kmph with a stationery sugar cane manufacturing unit (full of iron). The total repair charges came to around 35,000/- of which I had shell around 17,000/- after claiming insurance. How I wish I still stayed with the same model? The current car that I drive does not inspire the same confidence. It even makes lot of noise from the roof even with moderate rain falling on top (absolute tin can).

I believe your's is VXI model (I see the tailgate lever below Driver seat which is not there in my LXi model)

Thanks for sharing and reviving my memories.
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 11:50   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
I believe your's is VXI model (I see the tailgate lever below Driver seat which is not there in my LXi model)

Thanks for sharing and reviving my memories.
Mine is a LXi variant. The Tailgate release from the Inside was not even part of VXi as well. In fact this version (Type I and Type II) never had internal tailgate release option at all.

That is totally a DIY that I did and you can find details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...t-release.html
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 12:38   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... this version (Type I and Type II) never had internal tailgate release option at all...
My 2002 VXi (type-I) has a factory fitted "All 5- Door Open" (including the boot) switch and a remote (Nippon, MGA added later).

If I open driver door (pull the stick on window from inside), all 5- doors open .

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 12:40   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
My 2002 VXi (type-I) has a factory fitted "All 5- Door Open" (including the boot) switch and a remote (Nippon, MGA added later).

If I open driver door (pull the stick on window from inside), all 5- doors open .

-BJ
Thanks Bj, In fact when I went to purchase the parts the MGP dealer decline Type I and II having this feature. Hence I checked and ordered few parts from the Type III catalog.
Old 17th November 2014, 12:46   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b][center]Pictorial update on how the car is holding up nearing 220000 kms!

You have beautifully maintained the car. My car has far more signs of wear and tear though it is not even half the age and mileage of your car. Are you using-
  1. mineral or synthetic oil?
  2. Normal or premium petrol?
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 12:49   #295
BHPian

Your post makes me miss my WagonR. My first car was a 2004 pre owned WR which i used from 2009 t 2011, I added close to 50k Kms. A very abuse friendly vehicle. The doors closed firm too.
Infact I feel the vehicle parts are much more durable than my current vehicle, a Ford Fiesta.
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 12:55   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
  1. mineral or synthetic oil? - Till around 165K It was 20W40 after which shifted to 5W30 Grade (Semi Synthetic)
  2. Normal or premium petrol? - Very much normal Petrol from BPCL or IOCL most of the times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Your post makes me miss my WagonR. My first car was a 2004 pre owned WR which i used from 2009 t 2011, I added close to 50k Kms. A very abuse friendly vehicle. The doors closed firm too.
Infact I feel the vehicle parts are much more durable than my current vehicle, a Ford Fiesta.
I quite agree on the quality of parts used in this variant having seen them the way they hold up even today. In fact the plastic mouldings used for Door pads or the Fabric used for Seats or Door Trim is definitely of very durable quality.

I am actually surprised that there is zero signs of rusting anywhere in the car!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 14:08   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People who keep complaining about Maruti should read your postings, pictures and should go through your thread. Just one word, Awesome

The way you have kept your car is just cool. Good to hear that it is still going good. Hope you will do 3,00,000 soon.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 16:06   #298
BHPian

Very nice review and updates.
I too own a 2006 LXi model (type-1). Though have done 82K on the odo, but still the engine feels as good as new. This car is really built to last, (now dont compare to a 10 lakh rupee German car ). Its one of the best built models in its segment. No wonder, it is still among the top three best selling cars in India, that too without an oil burner variant.
anuragn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 17:08   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Pedals
That's just amazing. My alto of 7 years/33K already has a shiny smooth B & C pedals. Good to know you held on to your old car even after getting a new one. If the math is right, your driving works out to about 70 km per day average over 8.5 years! I'm guessing your car spends more time running than parked.

Where have you been getting your car serviced/repaired all these years? I used to go to Suraksha bommanahalli, but of late I think their rates have become x4 and quality of work /4. Any recommendations?
isiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 17:23   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
People who keep complaining about Maruti should read your postings, pictures and should go through your thread. Just one word, Awesome

The way you have kept your car is just cool. Good to hear that it is still going good. Hope you will do 3,00,000 soon.
Thanks aniketi. When It all started (Ownership & driving this one), I had never thought this will take me so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Very nice review and updates.
I too own a 2006 LXi model (type-1). Though have done 82K on the odo, but still the engine feels as good as new. This car is really built to last, (now dont compare to a 10 lakh rupee German car ). Its one of the best built models in its segment. No wonder, it is still among the top three best selling cars in India, that too without an oil burner variant.
The FE is pretty decent (13-15kmpl in the City, 17-19 kmpl on Highways) and has remained consistent during every drive as I know what the needle is pointing at after driving X no of kms whenever I embark on a drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
That's just amazing. My alto of 7 years/33K already has a shiny smooth B & C pedals. Good to know you held on to your old car even after getting a new one. If the math is right, your driving works out to about 70 km per day average over 8.5 years! I'm guessing your car spends more time running than parked.

Where have you been getting your car serviced/repaired all these years? I used to go to Suraksha bommanahalli, but of late I think their rates have become x4 and quality of work /4. Any recommendations?
Hence I said the Pedals remain my personal favorite as recently we picked up a Used WagonR for another BHPian and the pedals were already showing signs of abuse when the ODO was less than 80k.

I am carefully keeping an eye on the Pedals of the Ertiga now as WagonR is its benchmark if it has to win my heart :-).

Your math is right. That has remained the average till now but the same has dropped to mere 22-25 kms a day. On weekend, it does get the preference when it comes to doing the in-city driving on crowded and unpredictable streets!

The average was less than 200 per week between 2006-2008 which graduated to at least 70 per day and then there was no stopping.

Regarding service - Till around 165,000 kms, I was a regular visitor to Mandovi, Yeshwantpur (Next to Reliance Fuel station) and from then till now It is Surakshaa Car Care. I usually take the WagonR only for running jobs - Replacing usual wear and tear parts (Brake, Bushes etc)and nothing else.

The Ertiga too visits Surakshaa (B'Halli) but since it is under Warranty, I am only following the norms to remain safe after which I will remain the decision maker when it comes to servicing and replacements the way I am doing for the WagonR.

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th November 2014 at 17:25.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed