Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 14:47   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 223,000 kms & the first accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Have you put up the details for your GQ drive and the front handrest DIY? Would appreciate the links if its not on this LTO, and some more posts if you havent detailed these already!
The travelogue of the GQ drive is in the making and I will be creating a separate thread for the same.

There is no specific post on the Handrest DIY as the task of installing the same was pretty straightforward.

However, along with cleaning the Plugs this weekend, I am also re-installing the complete wiring for my ICE and the Amplifier. I will have to remove the seats and carpets for cleaner results since I am also shifting the amp at the back of the rear seat.

For the above, I will have to remove the center cup holder console too and will hence be easy for me to post the pics of how the handrest was installed.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th June 2012 at 15:02.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 11:57   #62
BANNED

Awesome man. Love the way you love your car. I too have a Wagon R, 2007/58,000 km. Since my daily drive has increased in the last two years wanted to go diesel. Booked Swift but cancelled it just when it was the time for delivery because the thought of parting with my Wagon R was unbearable. Now am teaching my wife to drive. The 'Box' would be with her and the diesel one will be for me.

Just one thing I found missing in this comprehensive report. It is the alloys.

Don't trade your rim with alloys. The alloys are half an inch wider than the stock and the tyres jut a little out of the well. On highways if the boot is heavy it hits the body on major undulations and damage tyres.

Two pics of my car taken while driving from Delhi to Jaipur.
Attached Thumbnails
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_8682.jpg  

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_8701.jpg  

Last edited by anandjha : 12th June 2012 at 11:59.
anandjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 15:09   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Just one thing I found missing in this comprehensive report. It is the alloys.
Well, for me, almost all the long drives have been with at least 3 passengers and the driver and loads of luggage in the booth. Post the alloy fitment, I did have issues initially with the tires brushing the wheel arches which was later on figured out as wrong tire specs and the shop replaced it upon realizing this.

I now run on 155/65-13 and don't face much of an issue with the scrapping of wheels at all though I realize that the alloys what I have protrude a few millimeters outside the wheel arch (but on the right hand side only).
Old 3rd July 2012, 18:08   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

So about three weeks before, my WagonR touched the 175,000 Kms Mark on the ODO. The ownership for me even as of date has been completely niggle free and the car has held its name high in terms of reliability over the past 6+ years of driving which was predominantly on the Highways.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_175k_02.jpg

There has been absolutely no additions to the car since the past report except for a new set of Tires that I got fitted before embarking on the drive on the Golden Quadrilateral spanning almost 6200 Kms in 7 days in the first week of May.

Michelin XM2 is what I settled for this time and tested the same over all possible road conditions - Fast, Slow, bad, Wet, Hot apart from panic braking and lane changes (while braking). I can say that XM2 is way better than its predecessor (XM1+) in terms of everything that Michelin claims.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 14:25   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So about three weeks before, my WagonR touched the 175,000 Kms Mark on the ODO. The ownership for me even as of date has been completely niggle free and the car has held its name high in terms of reliability over the past 6+ years of driving which was predominantly on the Highways.
Cool !! 1,75,000 kms is a lot of driving. That means; in the last 6-7 years, you did approx >=2K kms a month. Great, I always envy people having cars with a lot of mileage.

It's a very practical and a hassle free car. And it's nice to read that the car is completely problem free! Congrats, enjoy many more kilometers with your car. What's the next milestone planned? 2L kilometers?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 15:41   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Cool !! 1,75,000 kms is a lot of driving. That means; in the last 6-7 years, you did approx >=2K kms a month. Great, I always envy people having cars with a lot of mileage.

It's a very practical and a hassle free car. And it's nice to read that the car is completely problem free! Congrats, enjoy many more kilometers with your car. What's the next milestone planned? 2L kilometers?
My daily home-Office-home commute on weekdays has been a minimum of 62 kms since the past 4 years. Apart from that, I may have easily done at least 35-40 trips to Pune/Mumbai alone since 2007. More than 50+ drives to Belur and Chikmagalur, a GQ drive and one drive to Gujarat have certainly contributed to these numbers.

Each day, I simply continue to love the car and like how even 1L was never a planned milestone, I am sure 2L will also come just like that
Old 4th July 2012, 17:31   #67
BHPian

Hi, any of you 1 L+ guys felt any mileage drop in the Wagon R?
Mine used to give 12+ in normal city driving with AC on, now it is close to 10.5.
My car has done 140,000 km.
Old 4th July 2012, 17:45   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Hi, any of you 1 L+ guys felt any mileage drop in the Wagon R?
Mine used to give 12+ in normal city driving with AC on, now it is close to 10.5.
My car has done 140,000 km.
Not at all for me. It still consistently delivers anything between 13-15kmpl in city with 70% AC and at least 17kmpl (max being 19.25kmpl) on the highways with 100% AC.

The last super long drive spanning 6200 Kms, I got a mileage of 16kmpl under scorching May heat when I drove on the GQ with AC on full blast all the times. The mileage that I got was perfect considering the traffic conditions I drove in different states, the heat (less density of fuel in summer) and the massive jams between Jaipur-Delhi.

5 weeks before I drove to Belur-Chikmagalur and back and the full tank lasted till 540 Kms and when I tanked up again 29.06 Liters of Petrol went in making the average FE to 18.58kmpl.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 20:08   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania

Not at all for me. It still consistently delivers anything between 13-15kmpl in city with 70% AC and at least 17kmpl (max being 19.25kmpl) on the highways with 100% AC.

The last super long drive spanning 6200 Kms, I got a mileage of 16kmpl under scorching May heat when I drove on the GQ with AC on full blast all the times. The mileage that I got was perfect considering the traffic conditions I drove in different states, the heat (less density of fuel in summer) and the massive jams between Jaipur-Delhi.

5 weeks before I drove to Belur-Chikmagalur and back and the full tank lasted till 540 Kms and when I tanked up again 29.06 Liters of Petrol went in making the average FE to 18.58kmpl.
Thanks. In my case it was ~12.5 with 100% AC city driving, 16.5 to 17 in highway. I am noting a decline over the past few weeks (only checked for city).
Maybe a decarb is in order.
Old 22nd October 2012, 17:18   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Ritz Tacho Install on WagonR

With some good occasionally professional lensmen friends we set out for a breakfast drive to Kunigal last weekend and I was more than just glad to see many good clicks of my Tallboy during the drive. This one was candid that was captured as I continued to drive toward a toll booth while my friend waited on shoulder and clicked.

So, this is exactly how my faithful tallboy looks after having clocked 184,000 Kms on the ODO without a single breakdown whatsoever and yes, this one still remains a Highway star for me contrary to the popular belief/perception that it usage is better off within the city or town.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-picture-005.jpg

We took the now unusual Magadi road to reach Kunigal so that we could enjoy some twisties after driving so much on 4 lane roads in the recent past.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-598655_473539579334441_257849318_n.jpg

All of us once upon a time loved these roads with so much of trees all around which is becoming extinct, thanks to 4 laning and other infrastructure projects.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-dsc08391.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-dsc08386.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The RITZ Tachometer Install DIY on my WagonR
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since long I was always hunting for a Tachometer for my WagonR and found out that the cute looking Dashboard mounted Tacho of the Ritz will not only look good but will also perform without any issue if connections are made in the right way.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_0426.jpg

The Tachometer came with 4 wires : 12v (ACC), Ground, Backlight and Tacho Signal. Figuring out where the first 3 wires get connected was easier. The Ritz Tacho draws RPM Signals from the ECU directly (TTL) and that typical connection to negative terminal of Ignition coil won't work here. Found out from reliable sources that the Brown wire of the connector behind the speedo supplies RPM signals for the WagonR (Remember that WagonR Vxi came with a Tacho anyways).

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_0428.jpg

After contemplating on a lot of places on the dashboard, I managed to place it closer to the speedometer and this is how it finally looks.

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_0432.jpg

So, after driving my car for more than 183,000 kms, I get to see the RPM that I was normally driving it since all these years

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd October 2012 at 17:45. Reason: arranged Photos
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 18:53   #71
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ritz Tacho Install on WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
... Tachometer for my WagonR...the dashboard, I managed to place it closer to the speedometer and this is how it finally looks...
Looking good. Nice modification Parag.

Mine is over 10 years old and not even done half as much KMs This Diwali, I'm planning to take her for a x-country ride from Pune to Patna and beyond. Since, you have driven so many KMs on the WagonR on highways, can you advise me if need to do anything special before I set off for the long journey. I have already replaced 4 tires about 7000 kms back and general servicing including oil change 2000 kms ago.

tia,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 19:09   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Looking good. Nice modification Parag.

Mine is over 10 years old and not even done half as much KMs This Diwali, I'm planning to take her for a x-country ride from Pune to Patna and beyond. Since, you have driven so many KMs on the WagonR on highways, can you advise me if need to do anything special before I set off for the long journey. I have already replaced 4 tires about 7000 kms back and general servicing including oil change 2000 kms ago.

tia,
-BJ
Well, in case your car has been regularly getting attention in terms of regular driving and periodic services, I think you don't really need to worry much when you take him (He's a tallBOY after all) on the highways. It would again depend on the ODO meter reading to figure out if anything requires a replacment before the drive as preventive maintenance.

But you want to ensure the following gets checked:
  • Health of Front Brake Pads and rear Brake shoes
  • Brake fluid levels and if required, get a brake "bleeding" done
  • Oil & Coolant levels
  • Battery Health - Even a fully functional battery which is almost at the end of its usual life can give you a surprise all of a sudden
  • Suspension System - Struts, Bushes, Lower Arm, Tie Rod ends
  • Steering - Ball Joint ends' health (if worn, can result in more effort while driving)
  • Check for dusty Air filter
  • Check and replace Spark Plugs if necessary
  • Engine and Transmission oil-Remember that a change in Transmission oil will definitely improve gear-shift (If it was bad/notchy earlier).
  • If needed, Get the throttle body cleaned, helps during long drives and improves FE
  • Check for condition of cylinder head gasket and replace if needed.
  • Check condition of all 3 engine mounts
  • All Belts - Alternator, Water Pump

The above is only a check-list and does not necessarily mean you need to replace all. Like I said earlier, it will totally depend on the Odometer reading of your car and when was the last time, something was inspected or replaced due to normal wear and tear.

When I went for my GQ drive spanning 6200 kms, I ensured the above things were checked before I set out.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd October 2012 at 19:10.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 15:26   #73
BHPian

Thanks for your descriptive post on tachometer install in Wagon R. I want to install the same in my Wagon R (Dec 2007 model) and wanted to know where I can purchase this in Bangalore. Also could you please share all components (OEM tachometer Ritz model and wiring) along with price for complete install. I live near Indiranagar in Bangalore.

Since I am also planing to do this on my own, what kind of tools would be required.

Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 17:28   #74
Senior - BHPian

The tacho looks super cool.

Honestly, I did not get time to read through the whole log. Only one thing I can tell after being in your car. It doesnt feel like it has done close to 2L kms. Your horse definitely is an examples for others on how to maintain cars
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 15:52   #75

Hi All,

I am a Fan of the Type 1 & 2 Wagon R design and am contemplating on buying one. I have seen a Wagon R LXI 2006 Model 48K on the odo, single user and he quotes 1.95. Looks to be well kept. Is this a Good bargain. Any suggesttion on this is much appreciated .

The second Question is ,what are major differences between type 2 and Type 3 wagon Rs apart from the exterior design change, Does it have the flexible seating like the Type1, is the boot space the same, any change internally.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks