Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2013, 18:43   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 223,000 kms & the first accident

I am not sure what is type 3 WagonR, but if it is the latest one (for past 2 to 3 years), then following are some of the changes:-
  1. K10 engine instead of the traditional F10. This gives better F.E. and revs higher, but has a bit of lag in the lower rev range, akin to a diesel.
  2. Better dash layout, and fewer rattles.
  3. Increased rear leg room.
  4. Decreased boot space.
  5. Far better gear shift.
Sorry, the reclining rear seats are available only in the 1st type.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 13:23   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Sorry, the reclining rear seats are available only in the 1st type.
Actually, the reclining rear seats was part of Type 1 (MAV, regular Headlamps, Indicators in place of Fog lights on Bumper) and Type 2 (That I have). After Type 3, it is no more available though Type 3 still continued to have the same F10D Engine and Gearbox with only cosmetic changes all over the outside and Turn Knobs for AC than Sliding type.

Type 4 like you have listed is a totally different WagonR from all aspects.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th January 2013 at 13:25.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 13:39   #78

I have attached few pictures of the car , let me know your thoughts.

1.Is the price ok.
2.What do I have to check .

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-21174888311354515217.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-2942673291354515316.jpg

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-15074491701354515364.jpg
Old 16th January 2013, 13:20   #79
Senior - BHPian

Parag Sachania, as you said a few days back, when are we exchanging the rear seats of your WagonR with my Palio rear seats?

I have never seen any reclining seats in any of the cars I have been. I am a great fan of this feature now.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 13:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Parag Sachania, as you said a few days back, when are we exchanging the rear seats of your WagonR with my Palio rear seats?

I have never seen any reclining seats in any of the cars I have been. I am a great fan of this feature now.
That was the primary reason I bought the WagonR over the Santro a decade ago. My kids were small and used to fight for sleeping on the rear seat of my M800 on late night drives. The Waggie with reclining seats was the best solution to that problem.

AFAIK, only the Mahindra Xylo has this feature. I've also used this feature to carry home a cousin of mine after a bypass operation. We saved time and money over an ambulance.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 13:53   #81
PVS
BHPian

A lovely and a very informative thread Parag!! Kudos to the way you have maintained your Wagon R all these years, and the mileage you have clocked up is impressive.
I drive a Wagon R VXi (K10), and am quite satisfied with the car, in terms of ride quality, interior space and head room.
Highway ride charecteristics have improved on the new Wagon R, and it is quite easy to do speeds in the range of 130+ kmph consistently in this car.
The back seat is a bother though, and the ride soes tend to get bumpy over undulating terrain.
I too was in a mood to switch over to K & Ns, but after reading your inputs, I am now having my doubts.

Great thread, and wishing you many more satisfied miles on your Wagon R.

Last edited by PVS : 16th January 2013 at 14:19. Reason: corrected spelling mistakes.
PVS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 20:26   #82
Team-BHP Support

Clearly shows how long a well maintained car can go ! Amazing run Parag.
Wish you many many more Pune/AMD runs!
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 14:02   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I also ordered Arm rest via eBay and fixed that on the center cup-holder console and the color somehow matches my seats quite well. This handrest is greatly helping me over all the long drives undertaken after its fitment.

The snap taken to showcase the installed handrest as a DIY.
Attachment 899440
Hi Parag,

I majorly take my Waggy to highways than the city roads and hence this arm rest will be of great help. Can you point on how to install it. I'm a newbie to DIY installs and wanted to know if it can be fitted easily or not?
Also, please specify the cost of procuring it.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 28th January 2013, 20:06   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Hi, any of you 1 L+ guys felt any mileage drop in the Wagon R?
Mine used to give 12+ in normal city driving with AC on, now it is close to 10.5.
My car has done 140,000 km.
My Wagon R (2005) has just crossed 1,15,000 kms. It gives me about 17 kmpl (with 100 pct AC) (down from an earlier 19 kmpl) on the highways, and about 12-13 kmpl (with 80 pct AC) (down from an earlier 14-15 kmpl) in the city.

But overall no complaints, and enjoyed every bit of driving it all these years. The car is just 3 months away from completing 8 years :-) About 75-80 pct of the driving has been done on highways. Engine is stilll very smoooth.

Hope to touch about 1,75,000-2,00,000 kmpl before thinking of a new car.
Wagoner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 21:26   #85
Senior - BHPian

Friday night I got a chance to drive Parag's Wagon R. I was may be the 2nd person who has driven this car at all. This is the first time ever I drove a Wagon R.

Here's a quick review:
1) From outside, the car looks like not more than 2 years old. The usual city scratches and tiny dents too are too little.
2) Alloys and tires look simply sexy!
3) Engine is butter smooth. Even with this kilometrage, you cant even make out that the engine is running.
4) Steering and all controls feel absolutely crisp.
5) Clutch? I couldnt even feel the clutch. Phew! its smoother than the accelerator cable.I had a real difficult time for the first couple of kilometers to handle the clutch. I was thinking, is it really possible to have such a super smooth and soft clutch pedal!!!
6) The power and torque seemed very neat. Very hard to believe it has done close to 2L
7) Brakes were a tad low as claimed by Parag himself. I felt it to be perfectly Okay.
8) Gear shift was smooth.
9 ) You get to a cruising speed very quickly. Reaches 100 very easily. It could also cruise smoothly at lower revs on 5th gear
10) Interiors are super clean.
11) The DIY RPM meter is super cool.
12) Light from the headlamp spreads very very nicely! I loved this.

Cant think of anything much , I loved the way he has maintained it and liked the Wagon R. Its so roomy even though from outside it doesn't look like a big car.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 17:19   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
I have attached few pictures of the car , let me know your thoughts.
1.Is the price ok.
2.What do I have to check .
The price of 1.95L for a 2006 Lxi with 48k on the ODO seems a bit higher and can be definitely negotiated. Having said that, this particular model of WagonR (Type 1 and Type 2) do command a good resale value.

The car looks well maintained from the outside looks but you may have to check the following:
  • Any accident history in the past 7 years and nature of damages and work carried out
  • If the owner is getting the vehicle serviced at the ASC, get the history of the service carried out to ascertain on the parts replaced and jobs carried out
  • Tires: Check for the condition as there can only 2 possibilities at 48,000 kms – Either the tires were recently replaced or they would be due to for replacement within the next 10000 kms
  • Battery: The average life of the battery may not have been more than 4 years so please check when it was last replaced.
  • Clutch: Check from the service History as to when was the clutch replaced (or replaced at all). If not, you may also do the Handbrake test to gauge the health of the clutch. Normally, a clutch may ask for replacement in 40-60k KMS under usual driving.
  • Suspension: Please take the car on bad roads and check for any abnormal noise. Ensure all 4 seats are occupied and take it on road with undulated surface to see if there are signs of bumpiness indicating a weaker suspension. Physically inspect all the struts for any leaks also.
  • Gear-Box: The F10D’s gear box will appear to be more than just notchy if the transmission oil is not replaced regularly. A well maintained WagonR Gearbox can surprise many critics often.
  • Brakes: The Disc Pads usually last around 40-50k for normal driving and you may have to check the conditions of the current ones.
If you manage to check these vital components (at the age of the ODO), you are good to take a decision.

Quote:

Karthik, we can exchange our cars for a few days but cannot do the same with the seats alone due to the fact that the roof & the boot design of the Palio is not tall enough to accommodate this DIY. For rest of the ideas you know very well that we have managed to successfully execute many with many more in pipeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I've also used this feature to carry home a cousin of mine after a bypass operation. We saved time and money over an ambulance.
I regularly use the reclining rear seat feature during most of my long drives even today. During our GQ run, we were just 3 including myself and most the time the rear seat passenger was always relaxing reclining that seat to his comfort while the practically designed & taller boot managed to take care of our luggage very easily.

And yes, the “fully” reclining feature is available in XYLO and it was their tag line “Do you have it in your Sedan” while I already had it in my hatchback since 2006!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
A lovely and a very informative thread Parag!! Kudos to the way you have maintained your Wagon R all these years, and the mileage you have clocked up is impressive.
I drive a Wagon R VXi (K10), and am quite satisfied with the car, in terms of ride quality, interior space and head room.
Highway ride charecteristics have improved on the new Wagon R, and it is quite easy to do speeds in the range of 130+ kmph consistently in this car.
The back seat is a bother though, and the ride soes tend to get bumpy over undulating terrain.
I too was in a mood to switch over to K & Ns, but after reading your inputs, I am now having my doubts.

Great thread, and wishing you many more satisfied miles on your Wagon R.
Thank you PVS. We do have a K10 owned by a very close neighbor which I have driven many times and felt the improvisation in that is much better in terms of Ride Quality, NVH and refinement.

What I miss though is the humongous boot space that the earlier models had with which the current WagonR would have become a completely practical car.

It is impressive to see that today when you have too many choices to buy from (in 2006 it was way too less), WagonR continues to sell in very healthy numbers on a consistent basis irrespective of the looks factor that most of them wont admire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Clearly shows how long a well maintained car can go ! Amazing run Parag.
Wish you many many more Pune/AMD runs!
Thank you Amp!! There are many drives apart from the usual Pune/AMD runs planned this year. Will update all of that in this thread and complement with a travelogue when accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi Parag,

I majorly take my Waggy to highways than the city roads and hence this arm rest will be of great help. Can you point on how to install it. I'm a newbie to DIY installs and wanted to know if it can be fitted easily or not?
Also, please specify the cost of procuring it.

Thanks,
Ramki
Hello Ramki, over the last few weeks, I got too busy at work and home to be able to respond in time for your query. The installation of the Armrest is very simple.

It comes with plastic mounts on its base which is a direct fit on either sides of the center cup holder console. It also means that you will have to make 4 holes (2 on either sides) to mount this clamp onto the the center cup holder console. When I ordered, it cost me 1300 in ebay and as of today also the price varies between 999 and 1200 as I carried out the same DIY in a SX4 and a Palio recently.

The arm rest in any way doesn't hinder shifting into any gear. Using the handbrakes is a little tricky as you will have to approach the lever from the sides (and not from the top) and pull it. However, once you are used to it, you may not even realize that it is a bother. The Armrest proves to be an excellent utility box to store your MP3 Player, wallet, lose change, toll receipts and more. If you don’t like using it in the city, you always have the option to fold it and drive as well. I will try to take proper pictures of the installation and post it here soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoner View Post
My Wagon R (2005) has just crossed 1,15,000 kms. It gives me about 17 kmpl (with 100 pct AC) (down from an earlier 19 kmpl) on the highways, and about 12-13 kmpl (with 80 pct AC) (down from an earlier 14-15 kmpl) in the city.
That is an impressive run Wagoner and happy to find a fellow BHPian to have clocked a bigger number out of the F10D. On mileage front, I still have no complaints whatsoever whether it is driving in the city of on the highways. There hasn’t been any drop in terms of Power or Torque when I compare that with other WagonRs that I get to drive which have clocked less than half the mileage that mine has. I still continue to drive 62 kms every day in Bangalore traffic and manage to get 14-15 with 70-100% AC usage. On highways, it’s a very consistent 17-18kmpl with 100% AC which I was able to extract from my Jan1st drive to Pune and Auragnabad while my cruising speed was between 110-120kmph with short bursts of 130-140* whenever the roads (*and the car) permitted.

Quote:
Friday night I got a chance to drive Parag's Wagon R. I was may be the 2nd person who has driven this car at all. This is the first time ever I drove a Wagon R.
Very honestly, I wanted you to drive my car only to get viewpoints from someone who gets to take on the wheels of a car that has done almost 2L on the ODO. I was waiting for the occasion since I would get a feedback from someone else than remain under a wrong impression that all is well (though in reality everything seems very well). The feedback matters a lot to me. Thank you Karthik!!
Quote:
1) From outside, the car looks like not more than 2 years old. The usual city scratches and tiny dents too are too little.
As of today, I haven’t not claimed insurance not have got any body work done for my car. The scratches are majorly on the bumper that appear as small lines here and there and needs a repainting. The rear LHS Door has a very small dent after miscalculating a gate’s lever while parking. The Rear RHS door has a deep scratch running like a 5mm line when the hook of the metal rods placed at fuel station accidentally fell on my car and I moved the car more than 5 ft till I realized something was hurting.
The rear RHS Tail lamp has been replaced at home on 2 occasions: First when a Sumo Cab rear ended and his bull-bar cracked it and second when a biker couldn't notice me waiting behind bus on ORR and swiped his handlebar cracking it again.
Quote:
2) Alloys and tires look simply sexy!
The alloys have indeed given the car an enhanced look without doubts.
Quote:
3) Engine is butter smooth. Even with this kilometrage, you cant even make out that the engine is running.
You are right. Feeling the engine was the first thing I wanted you to experience and let me know and I am glad you also felt that it was smooth even at 192,000kms on the ODO.
Quote:
4) Steering and all controls feel absolutely crisp.
The steering is very light and that is one of its negative characteristic. But I have got used to this since more than 6 years and 2L kms that I know what to expect at the slightest maneuver and drive accordingly.
Quote:
5) Clutch? I couldnt even feel the clutch. Phew! its smoother than the accelerator cable.I had a real difficult time for the first couple of kilometers to handle the clutch. I was thinking, is it really possible to have such a super smooth and soft clutch pedal!!!
The clutch was more than heavy till I replaced it recently even though there was enough life in it. Lesson learnt was the fact that the flywheel (which cost just 800) was never replaced during the previous 2 clutch replacements. This time however, Surakashaa (Lokesh) took care of this bit and ensured the flywheel was also replaced and ensured to lubricate the clutch arm shaft in and out and the clutch remains as light as the accelerator pedal even after driving more than 5k KMS since its last replacement.
Quote:
6) The power and torque seemed very neat. Very hard to believe it has done close to 2L
Yes, as mentioned earlier, there has been no change whatsoever in terms of power-torque delivery, thanks to the periodic maintenance.
Quote:
7) Brakes were a tad low as claimed by Parag himself. I felt it to be perfectly Okay.
During the last service (at 189000kms) the pads looked healthy but was asking for a replacement in the next service. Also you may have noticed that the handbrake lever had to be pulled more than usual to ensure the car remained stationary. This was the hint for the rear brake shoes to be replaced.
Quote:
8) Gear shift was smooth.
So far, all of the SAs and Works Manager at various ASCs who have driven my car always get surprised with the gearshift quality of my car. I have driven other WagonRs (F10D) and do realize that it is a bit notchy.
Quote:
9 ) You get to a cruising speed very quickly. Reaches 100 very easily. It could also cruise smoothly at lower revs on 5th gear
My usual cruising speeds always settle at 110-120kmph over all my highway drives and mostly beyond that wherever roads permitted. That is perhaps the most ideal cruising speed for Indian Highways to gain the maximum of FE, Average speeds and peace of mind.
Quote:
10) Interiors are super clean.
I was bored of the first set of art leather seat covers which were dual tone (Beige and maroon) and what I have now is a single tone soft leather that goes very well with the roomy interiors.
Quote:
11) The DIY RPM meter is super cool.
It keeps working fantastically well with no issues. I am planning a DIY to change the color of Instrument cluster which is Yellow to that of the Tacho (Orange).
Quote:
12) Light from the headlamp spreads very very nicely! I loved this.
I always make it a point to rub and wash the headlight glass and then polish it till It gets the maximum shine. This has ensured the quality of the beam has always remained better. I use 90/100 Philips Rally with a Hella Wiring harness since the past 4 years.
Quote:
Cant think of anything much , I loved the way he has maintained it and liked the Wagon R. Its so roomy even though from outside it doesn't look like a big car.
As of today, except for the soaring Petrol price, I am unable to think of a valid reason to buy another car.

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th January 2013 at 17:21.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 11:54   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Hello Ramki, over the last few weeks, I got too busy at work and home to be able to respond in time for your query. The installation of the Armrest is very simple.

It comes with plastic mounts on its base which is a direct fit on either sides of the center cup holder console. It also means that you will have to make 4 holes (2 on either sides) to mount this clamp onto the the center cup holder console. When I ordered, it cost me 1300 in ebay and as of today also the price varies between 999 and 1200 as I carried out the same DIY in a SX4 and a Palio recently.

The arm rest in any way doesn't hinder shifting into any gear. Using the handbrakes is a little tricky as you will have to approach the lever from the sides (and not from the top) and pull it. However, once you are used to it, you may not even realize that it is a bother. The Armrest proves to be an excellent utility box to store your MP3 Player, wallet, lose change, toll receipts and more. If you don’t like using it in the city, you always have the option to fold it and drive as well. I will try to take proper pictures of the installation and post it here soon.
Thanks very much paragsachania. The pictures would be of great help.

Cheers

Ramki
Old 30th January 2013, 17:23   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Thanks very much paragsachania. The pictures would be of great help.

Cheers

Ramki
Hello Ramki,

I managed to capture a few snaps this morning to help you out with the installation of the Arm rest.

The Armrest in Folded Position
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_0768.jpg

The Armrest in normal position
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_0769.jpg

As viewed from the top so that you can know how exactly it fits right within the gap between 2 seats.
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_0770.jpg

How it is mounted on the center console
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-img_0771.jpg

Notice the bolts in the bottom. Similar bolts will be in the front of the clamp as well. In all there are 4 bolts (2 on either sides of the armrest).

You can also notice those tiny 3+1 holes on the Armrest's base which can be used as desired to adjust the height of the final fitting as per driver's preference.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 18:22   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated Pics at 191XXX kms

Its another 8000 Kms before the Tallboy hits the 2L mark. Going by my usual clocking of at least 1500 kms per month and a few long drives in between, I am sure this will happen in another 3 months!
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-191xxx.jpg

No changes except for the DIY Tachometer installed a few months back. No mechanical replacements since the last update. Just the usual service and periodic oil changes.

Had been to Hesarghatta Grasslands a couple of months ago (with funkyKar's Palio Multijet) and captured a few:

Taller!!
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-18299_509224362428990_818442900_n.jpg

A Group photo of all the dear cars along with their dear owners.
One thing that unites us all, Passion for Driving!
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-68000_509227069095386_1476800754_n.jpg

On the move
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-156754_509223712429055_1843037552_n.jpg

Kicking some dust at the Grasslands
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-600040_509220329096060_126515274_n.jpg

The Tallboy with the funkyKar's tank!
My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!-305935_509223569095736_59112696_n.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th January 2013 at 18:25.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 10:26   #90
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful pics Parag! The on the move one takes the cake! Your DIYs are very very cool and I and my Palio are thankful to you for all the DIYs you did

Coming back to Wagon R, its really a no nonsense car. It used to attract the highest resale values for small cars. Is it still the same? I ask this because there are a hell lot cars available for prospective buyers now as compared to a decade ago.
funkykar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks