Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 16:25   #571
Team-BHP Support

Re: My New Refreshed Scorpio LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Very recently, my Scorpio had developed a clutch problem. The clutch was sinking and not getting released. Though not always, the phenomena was getting repeated once during 5-10 times of usage. W
Looks like the famous clutch issue with the MHawks caught up with your Scorpio too, which was from the early batches. This has become rather too common nowadays.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 20:15   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

Lately, I have been enjoying trouble free drives and have not encountered any problems of late.The clutch problem is resolved and nothing else has cropped up till date.
In the meantime, the Brute SUV got a new pair of number plates.

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-dscn1304.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-dscn1305.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-dscn1306.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 20:54   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

The Brute INDIAN SUV has done about 5 and a half years with me. It has come out as a very reliable and rugged set of wheels for me. Till today, I can vouch and say that it has taken a single self to start the SUV every time it has been cranked. Even when I was out for some 5-6 days, other than the fact that it became dusty, there were no other hiccups. On the day of my arrival, it started with a single self. That speaks volumes about the quality control done by M & M and makes me proud as an Indian. So when our PM says "Make in India", M & M has surely something to feel proud of, though it needs to excel in many other spheres.

Its agressive looks gives me the right of way whenever I move around, as the toys move away from its path. I have never terrorised any smaller vehicle though, unless the thing gets on my nerves.

I have never felt that I have been driving this huge monster as it feels so light and manouverable. Only when I try to park, it says "I am huge and hence give me a good space".

During these 67 months, the worst problems, I had faced with it was when the ASS checked the transmission problems that had arisen and found no gear oil in the chamber. It had all leaked out. The gear oil was changed just two months ago then by them, but had leaked. It was the ASS engineer's fault and they did not admit it. That made me find a much more reliable workshop where the SUV goes now for services and oil changes.Since the warranties have gone away, the ASS is now ditched by me.

The headlight and the fog light on the left, made by Lumax had gathered water vapour during the 2010 monsoon (quite severe here) but were promptly replaced by the ASS as the warranty (2 years) was yet to expire.

I have faced power window problems for the driver's side rear door/window and also for its door lock. It was repaired but has cropped up again. May have to change the PW motor.

I am largely satisfied with the SUV. The people who speak about "Scorpio safety" are talking nuts I can say. I have driven this SUV at speeds above 120 kmph on many occasions, but it has stood like a rock and has again never let me down. The fuel consumption increases drastically once you are @ above 100 kmph.

In city driving on the 2/3/4 and sometimes 5 th gear with the AC on, I get about 11 to 12 kmpl - no mean feat for a monster weighing 1800 Kgs.
Old 19th September 2014, 21:40   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

@Anjan, good to see happy ownership experience, and wishing you more years.
Quote:
Even when I was out for some 5-6 days, other than the fact that it became dusty, there were no other hiccups.
Actually, if the battery is good, you could start the vehicle on first crank / half crank even after 4-5 weeks of standing. I have done this with my 5 year old Sumo / OE battery.
5-6 days is hardly anything.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 22:30   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Anjan, good to see happy ownership experience, and wishing you more years.Actually, if the battery is good, you could start the vehicle on first crank / half crank even after 4-5 weeks of standing. I have done this with my 5 year old Sumo / OE battery.
5-6 days is hardly anything.
I have forgotten to mention about the OE Amaron battery under the bonnet that has also done 65 months (its 65 and not 67 as stated in the older post) . Its still bubbling - TOUCHWOOD !

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th September 2014 at 22:32.
Old 26th September 2014, 14:15   #576
BHPian

Quote:
. The people who speak about "Scorpio safety" are talking nuts I can say. I have driven this SUV at speeds above 120 kmph on many occasions, but it has stood like a rock and has again never let me down.
Touchwood that is all I can say.

At 120km/ hr without ABS, considering the vehicle you are driving if you need to apply brakes suddenly, anything can happen. God forbid, but its risky.

Both my vehicles are without ABS and I really repent now going for it. Henceforth I will not commit the same mistake.
In a vehicle like the Scorpio I feel ABS should be a standard feature.
Old 26th September 2014, 20:54   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Touchwood that is all I can say.

At 120km/ hr without ABS, considering the vehicle you are driving if you need to apply brakes suddenly, anything can happen. God forbid, but its risky.

Both my vehicles are without ABS and I really repent now going for it. Henceforth I will not commit the same mistake.
In a vehicle like the Scorpio I feel ABS should be a standard feature.
Thanks ortho_surgeon for your feedback. I was actually referring to those who say the Scorpio behaves erratically as far as dynamics are concerned at high speeds.

ABS is always desired and safe. In fact, earlier on this thread I have said that even for the lower priced variants of automobiles ABS needs to be available as an option. The car makers need to rethink their strategies regarding premium variants, that only offer ABS and/or EBD as standard.

As a rule, I never exceed speeds of 80-90 kmph come what may, but had reached 120 kmph only on a few occasions to try out the beast's performance at that speed.
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:36   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

TODAY'S HERO for me !

Its an inanimate object. My Scorpio's battery bought as OE with the SUV in April 2009 (Amaron make) conked off today, after a trouble free and unblemished service of six years two months.It still cranked the engine five times, this morning, whenever I activated the self-starter ,but with the low RPM at which the self could crank the engine, I realised that the battery has decided to bid adieu to the Brute SUV, that gave it company ever since it started its active years. Its an inanimate object and was just bidding us goodbye, before it would fall into the cruel hands at the scrap yard. And had this been a petrol engine, the feeble cranking could have fired the engine to life.
Well done my Amaron battery ! You have been the best one eversince I started driving and also since I owned a car.

The Scorpio has been always running with the AC on, with the exception of rainy days (drizzles), when I prefer to keep the window rolled down.

The maximum I have used any other car battery was for four and a half years.

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-june2015kolkataetc-065.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-june2015kolkataetc-066.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-june2015kolkataetc-067.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-june2015kolkataetc-068.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 22nd June 2015 at 20:39.
Old 20th June 2017, 23:38   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

Revisiting the thread, I am quite contented with my 2009 Scorpio. Now into its 9th year with me, it is doing very well in all departments. A recent engine oil change and servicing gave it all the boosters to lug on flawlessly.

The tiny gremlins include breakage of the footboard end, plastic cladding on the rear left, for the third time. The compound gate of my home facilitates the beast's flawless entry and exit. The parked cars (carelessly outside the compound) sometimes create glitches. Moreover, the cladding exceeds the footboard width by some five mms or so. The extra five mms sometimes when the cars are carelessly parked outside, makes the cladding rub against the steel gate and instantly shatter into pieces. The pictures are indicative.

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-dscn3184.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-dscn3185.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-dscn3187.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-dscn3191.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-dscn3192.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-dscn3193.jpg

I had bought a few extra plastic claddings from the ASC though, a few years ago (2012) knowing it's demand. The ASC had asked umpteen questions then and had thereafter supplied the spare. This is because I had gone by another car. Had I driven the Scorpio to the ASC, they would have volunteered to change it at their workshop and charge accordingly. But since its just a bolt and fit job, I had preferred the DIY alternative.

Now my reserve stock has run out after this breakage. Another spare ( a real gremlin) is a simple rubber cushion tiny and circular, with a tapered end, that fits the aft portion of all the doors of the Scorpio. The picture below will clarify which spare I am referring to. It secures the door and is in addition with the customary rubber beading.

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-img_20170612_123236987.jpg

The availability of the cladding and this rubber spare are worrisome. I tweeted to Mr Anand Mahindra last week,attaching pictures and stating my difficulty in sourcing these "least in demand spares". Within 20 minutes the tweet went to Mahindra Customer Care. The Pune official (Western Zone) contacted me immediately. I sent the pictures by WhatsApp to him and explained him about these. Soon, I was contacted by the local ASC of Nagpur. After receiving some five calls from Pune and Nagpur, I could conclude that the spares are extremely low in demand and hence short in supply. The cladding is OK - maybe some need it. But the obscure tiny rubber falls off with the slightest provocation from the door/s and is/are forgotten by most owners.

Finally, they have requested me to wait for some two weeks before they are able to supply these to me through the ASC. I have asked for many of these to secure me for the next "n" years.

Some very recent pictures of the Brute SUV :

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-img_20170521_120555705_hdr.jpg

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-img_20170521_120524274_hdra.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th June 2017 at 23:40.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 11:53   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The availability of the cladding and this rubber spare are worrisome. I tweeted to Mr Anand Mahindra last week,attaching pictures and stating my difficulty in sourcing these "least in demand spares". Within 20 minutes the tweet went to Mahindra Customer Care. The Pune official (Western Zone) contacted me immediately. I sent the pictures by WhatsApp to him and explained him about these. Soon, I was contacted by the local ASC of Nagpur. After receiving some five calls from Pune and Nagpur, I could conclude that the spares are extremely low in demand and hence short in supply. ...

Finally, they have requested me to wait for some two weeks before they are able to supply these to me through the ASC...
Experiences such as these are what creates brand loyalty!

to Mahindra (the person and company).
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 08:46   #581
BANNED

Quote:
Revisiting the thread, I am quite contented with my 2009 Scorpio. Now into its 9th year with me, it is doing very well in all departments. A recent engine oil change and servicing gave it all the boosters to lug on flawlessly.
There is no doubt that the Scorpio is a very durable vehicle. When I (very sadly, repent to this day) parted ways with Hariya, he was as good as he was on day one and continues to be in ship shape.

The Scorpio is also a very reliable vehicle. Just like your's, I had ZERO issues which had me stranded on the road during my ownership.

What has been your total cost of maintenance over the years excluding tires and batteries?

Lastly, the best way to have a stock of the rubber bushes on the doors (I have faced their non availability too) is to pry them off totalled vehicles at the yard with the permission of the staff there.
I have done this and was never in short supply. Their presence indeed keeps rattles away.

Can you please post a few pictures of the interiors too?
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 23:34   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread now coming alive after three and a half years and for a good reason. My Brute SUV is already eleven and a half years old now. It has never failed me and continues to deliver its best performance without any issues whatsoever. The routine maintenance schedules are rigidly adhered to.

The thread came alive for a very, very queer incident that took place this morning/noon (because some friends wish us good morning legitimately till 12.00 pm) around 12.00 pm. Our housemaid was exiting the house after finishing her morning time chores. The Scorpio is parked in a garage in our compound and as she was walking out she remembered something and just kept her mobile phone (an old Nokia) below the right lower corner, windscreen base for a moment before picking up something. As she came back the mobile had disappeared. She panicked, used our landline to call her husband who arrived soon to help her. I was outside and after I reached home, I saw both of them with tensed faces trying and trying to locate the mysterious Nokia. My family members were not much aware of the goings on here. I soon opened the bonnet, tried all tricks in the book to locate the old gizmo. I even unscrewed the plastic wiper base- air inlet scoop partly but no. It was nowhere. Her hubby now started dialling her number and the very famous and nostalgic ringtone was heard from the base aft side of the front right mudguard. Yes, it had lost its way and had landed on the inside at the base. The ringtone was bubbling with energy and vigour. I realised that the place would have to be accessed but it was tough without proper tools.

The hubby-wife team had lost their patience and excused themselves to leave for home, saying they are willing to forget the old Nokia. As it was nearing lunchtime, I too gave up.

Soon after, I rang up my young friend Mr Ashish Limbanna, who owns Limbanna Motors for help. He agreed to take it on priority and asked me to send pictures of the gap and Nokia trap from where it disappeared. By evening, Ashish came with a mechanic. They first of all steered the wheel so that the mudguard aft portion is accessible to work upon. And with a torch the mobile could be viewed from a small gap the open front door, at the base much below the A pillar. The plastic guard just above the mudflap was partly unscrewed and now the old gizmo was quite in view. A thin wooden stick (to avoid scratches to the old gizmo) was used and then it was recovered in "as it went in" condition to our delight.

The housemaid has not yet been told as her phone is right here with us. It will be surprise for her to see it back in action. Had it been a smartphone the space would have not been enough for that to slip and dissappear. We checked the size and it appears that the Scorpio's gap is custom made to allow old phones to slip and fall.
Attached Thumbnails
My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-img_20210107_225359.jpg  

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-img_20210107_225435.jpg  

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-img_20210107_225202.jpg  

My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-img_20210107_225220.jpg  

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th January 2021 at 23:37.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 17:28   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The housemaid has not yet been told as her phone is right here with us. It will be surprise for her to see it back in action. Had it been a smartphone the space would have not been enough for that to slip and dissappear. We checked the size and it appears that the Scorpio's gap is custom made to allow old phones to slip and fall.
Our house maid was only too happy to get back the nearly lost and written off old gizmo, that she was handed over earlier this morning. The twinkle in her eyes were perceptible.

I told her about the ordeal involved to recover it. To our dismay, she's neither very literate/computer literate and nor a teambhpian else she would have perused these posts.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 10:05   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Anjan, the plastic cladding in my Scorpio got damaged due to an oversight of mine while driving. Luckily no body damage.

Would you know the part number? I tried through the Team BHP spare parts site, I believe you will need to buy the whole assembly. which is not required in my case.

Also the rubber bush for the doors. Can you share the part number if you have it with you. I need to replace it for all the doors as they have worn out
Old 8th April 2021, 18:14   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
Hi Anjan, the plastic cladding in my Scorpio got damaged due to an oversight of mine while driving. Luckily no body damage.

Would you know the part number? I tried through the Team BHP spare parts site, I believe you will need to buy the whole assembly. which is not required in my case.

Also the rubber bush for the doors. Can you share the part number if you have it with you. I need to replace it for all the doors as they have worn out
Could you please post pictures of the two spares that you have sought information for, so that I can exactly decipher the same ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks