Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 19:30   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

There's a post with pictures here showing my concern over the fact that within two or three months the grayish black plastics have got faded and look cheap and crap like stuff. My concern was addressed by a fellow teambhpian here who suggested application of a good plastic polish. Thanks to him ! He is raj_5004!
Today I applied a reputed brand of plastic and vinyl polish and preservative, over the black plastics on the exterior and interior- bumpers, door handles, grille,wheel covers and interior on the dash and plastic bins,inner door handles and vow the results!
The shine is back like new and even better than new on all the unpainted plastic components. The Scorpio has got back its gleaming looks. And for the pictures- will post them in a few days time!
But the message now is that I will have to give repeated applications of this polish and preservative every few months.
Meanwhile after completing the running in period of the Brute SUV, the turbo lag at 1500-2000 rpm seems to have nearly disappeared. The turbo lag was very, very imminent in the earlier days, with me driving alone and the SUV empty whenever I touched the 1500-2000 rpm mark. Just today, with five passengers seated while engaging the fifth gear while driving below 40kmph the turbo lag and the hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm was audible making its come back after a long gap of time. I changed over to the fourth and it was gone. The turbo lag is a once in a while feature these days, in such situations.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th August 2009 at 19:35.
Old 8th August 2009, 20:41   #317
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that buddy, finally you are happy that your scorp got its shine back. i feel you will need to apply the polish once every 6 months or so.

ahhhh, turbo lag... whats that? Lol... enjoy driving.
Old 8th August 2009, 21:48   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
True Vijay, the Japanese, Korean and European cars have feather touch horn buttons but Mahindra UV's and SUV's are yet to improve upon this feature. Maybe they think of starting to offer the feather touch horn buttons with higher variants because they offer everything at a premium.
I have no complaints with Scoprio Horns - you can not expect this from a man who drove a Chevy. For Indians the horn in Chevy cars are placed in such an awkward position, as a small circle in the center of the steering. This one issue Chevy India doesn't want to work with - means they do not care about Opinions and feedbacks.
Old 11th August 2009, 21:10   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to him ! He is raj_5004!
Today I applied a reputed brand of plastic and vinyl polish and preservative, over the black plastics on the exterior and interior- bumpers, door handles, grille,wheel covers and interior on the dash and plastic bins,inner door handles and vow the results!
The shine is back like new and even better than new on all the unpainted plastic components. The Scorpio has got back its gleaming looks. And for the pictures- will post them in a few days time!
let the pictures do justice.

Raj, Anjan: please share this secret with me too, had been looking for this. Service center guys didn't share the material used here, and surprisingly accessories shop owner also didn't knew. My car is eagerly waiting for this stuff.
Old 11th August 2009, 22:17   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

Raj, Anjan: please share this secret with me too, had been looking for this. Service center guys didn't share the material used here, and surprisingly accessories shop owner also didn't knew. My car is eagerly waiting for this stuff.
hi buddy. there are many such polish solutions available in the market. well, i have a dashboard cleaner as well, which i even use for my front guard. it works well.
Old 11th August 2009, 22:23   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hi buddy. there are many such polish solutions available in the market. well, i have a dashboard cleaner as well, which i even use for my front guard. it works well.
How is the dash cleaner that you use? I am looking out for one in my car and it would be great if you can share the name of the same.
Old 11th August 2009, 23:24   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
How is the dash cleaner that you use? I am looking out for one in my car and it would be great if you can share the name of the same.
Thats simple- its no secret at all 3M plastic and vinyl polish and preservative.I am quite pleased with the product.Will post pictures soon.
Old 12th August 2009, 18:21   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

A picture of the faded plastics pre-polish days
My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-005.jpg

Some pictures of the polished, now like new and shining black plastic components
My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-122.jpg
My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-144.jpg
My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-145.jpg
My New Refreshed Scorpio LX-sonycamv-143.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th August 2009 at 18:27.
Old 12th August 2009, 21:58   #324
Senior - BHPian

Hey Anjan,

The polish does look as good as new!

You need to put up better pictures of the beau!
Old 12th August 2009, 23:11   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Hey Anjan,

The polish does look as good as new!

You need to put up better pictures of the beau!
Thanks Happywheels-sure will post some more better pictures soon.
Old 13th August 2009, 10:20   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A picture of the faded plastics pre-polish days

Some pictures of the polished, now like new and shining black plastic components
Plastics look clean and perfect. Good job!
Is yours an M2DI? or mHawk powered?

I saw the M2DI version yesterday in the showroom, its Bolero Engine in Scorpio Body. Till last week it came with the older bumpers, and now it has been changed to Mighty muscular. :-). So I hope no more older Scorpios with old design, which many liked here.
Old 13th August 2009, 10:40   #327
Senior - BHPian

Just came across your ownership thread lovely writeup and details.
This is the best color in scorpio and I guess easier to maintain then black or white.

About the protective disk bending issue , Were the wheel nuts little loose or unequally fastened at any point by any chance ? That may cause some weight to be shifted to the outer disk. This protective disk never comes in contact with any surface so should not bend otherwise even if you drive on bumps or on off road track.

I guess it was good you detected this in time else shear forces may break the bolt causing serious damage.

About plastics what did you use 3M dashboard polish ?
Old 13th August 2009, 13:41   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats simple- its no secret at all 3M plastic and vinyl polish and preservative.I am quite pleased with the product.Will post pictures soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Just came across your ownership thread lovely writeup and details.

About plastics what did you use 3M dashboard polish ?
amitk, thats what he already said in his post, its 3M plastic and vinyl polish.
Anjan, cool pictures and good to hear you are enjoying your ride on her.Bumpers look back to shine after that polish.
Old 13th August 2009, 13:42   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, brand name, thats good, can you share the pic of the cleaner too ?

I guess this is one product only "3M plastic and vinyl polish and preservative"

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Raj, I too have a dashboard cleaner, which is a spray, but it is big effort to spray and polish it + it doesnt retain the effect for more than a few days.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:29   #330
Senior - BHPian

nice to see the shine back on your scorpio anjan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
amitk, thats what he already said in his post, its 3M plastic and vinyl polish.
i think amit got confused. dashboard cleaner is used by me, not anjan!

Quote:
Raj, I too have a dashboard cleaner, which is a spray, but it is big effort to spray and polish it + it doesnt retain the effect for more than a few days.
unfortunately, even the one i use is a spray!

Most Viewed