Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 19:58   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, I thank all concerned on our forum for rating this thread as FIVE STAR!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephkarthic View Post
Hi anjan and All Scorpio'ns,

Good morning, Im joseph from chennai city, This is my second post on the forum after the "Introduce yourself" forum post, I directly came here to this thread because I have just 'blocked' the scorpio LX black in India Garage showroom-Mount road without any payment as one of the friend works there and also this thread has all the answers for my questions I had initially about new Scorpio and its features..All you guys are really active in this thread.So I choose this thread as a starter..Pls forgive me anjan..

Once I actually book the vehicle and pay the down payment I shall start a new thread, Friends I wanted to become a part of scorpio family from today..I hope you guys will help me on my questions regarding modifying my vehicle once its arrived..Im so addicted to it, you know nowadays im not even doing my job and simply gaining knowledge from the forums about cars..I had previously owned a second hand Tata Sumo SE 99 model bought for 2.5 lacs in 2005 which had clocked 70k that time and sold it after running 3 lac kms for 2 lac price (nice deal right ).It was actually driven for Own board travels purpose (mostly touring in hills) in Southern most part of tamilnadu(theni - kodaikanal).

Anyways thts past..coming to our scorpio Just like anjan i also booked Dzire vdi first and then cancelled it after seeing the new scorpio LX mhawk features and the Power.My family has more than 6 people so scorpio should fit right in..

Few Questions for you guys:

1) The LX version with 9 seater (rear bench model) has good legroom in middle and rear seats? (i.e) Can people sit without much cramping? I know it wont be like 7 seater but Can it be somewhat comfortable?

2)How much does the bull bar, wheel cups and alloys cost? we can get it from mahindra showroom itself right?

3) About ICE, Can a 12" subwoofer be placed in rear set without affecting much legroom? I once saw a sony xplod subwoofer in raj_5004 scorpio, Im sure raj is around, Was tht 12" raj?

4)Is cladding very necessary? If so how much it will cost and is it worth going for aftermarket cladding from dealer?

Btw anjan your brute Scorpio Rocks after the wheel cups!!! just like Dry_ice said the SUV looks gr8 only with wheel cups visible..

@Mods, Sorry if my posting is wrong as a starter, Its just that im too much familiar with this thread i adjoined here to become friends with fellow scorpio'ns..thankyou.
josephkarthic we Scorpio (n)s welcome your contribution here on this thread with open arms.Any information about the mighty Scorpio is welcome - that adds to the knowledge banks our hard discs (read brains).
I am sure Raj has given the right replies to your queries point wise.
(1)The 9 seater is sure compromising on the leg space in the middle row. Its comfortable but not as much as the 7 seater for long distances.Only if you are seating 8/9 passengers there's a point to go for the 9 seater. Or else, the 7 seater in the LX model with two single rear bench seats should be available.
(2) Bull bars I don't prefer. Raj has informed you about that. Wheel caps from the A.S.S. cost about Rs 3500/- and are built with tougher plastics, with good fit and finish. The accessory wheel caps sell for Rs 1000 to Rs 1500 but I found them to be made of cheap plastics.
(3)True about ICE you can take some time and add them after 1/2/3 weeks after a thorough research. A lot of information is available here in the ICE section. There's a thread by me too there for this Scorpio.
Its a pleasure to read that like me you too decided to go for the Scorpio instead of the DZire.
(4) Claddings are left to personal choice. I was all for it but was told that other than factory fitted ones, the cladding job can't be perfectly done by the dealer. A few microns of gap between the sheet metal and the cladding is good enough to facilitate moisture accumulation and rusting.
So read these and rock on with your beasty SUV.Awaiting the pictures and driving impressions.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th September 2009 at 20:03.
Old 9th September 2009, 20:10   #347
BHPian

Hi Anjan,
Congratulations for your beautiful mHawk and an amazing account.

I purchased an LX mHawk recently and went through almost exact experiences. Mine is in the same shade and now looks almost like yours with the same original wheel caps.

I have a query. When I start my Scorpio in the morning, without pressing the accelerator, all the lights in the dashboard go off except the battery low charging warning light. It goes off only after I press the accelerator paddle a little. This happens only on cold engine and doesn't happen when I start the car in the day time. Do you also see this happen in your car (or did you also experience this earlier)? I asked the M&M representative who claimed that this is normal behavior for the MHawk engine. I am a bit skeptical about this claim.

If others on the form can enlighten me I will be indebted.
Old 9th September 2009, 20:40   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

hi Hoopoe- congratulations on being a brand new Scorpio owner. Delighted to know that its the same looks wise as mine.
Thanks for liking the account on my Brute SUV.
As regards the charging lights going off, in my case the lights go off almost immediately after the start.Delhi should'nt be much cold and the engine temperature now in the plains is almost the same. So it is'nt exactly a cold start. Feel you should get that checked by the A.S.S.
Happy Driving !
Old 9th September 2009, 21:02   #349
BHPian

This is what I expected. The chap who came to familiarize me with the vehicle didn't know the difference between the brake master cylinder and clutch fluid reservoir. I suspect that either the alternator belt is loose or there is some other issue with the connections. I will get this checked soon and update this thread.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 9th September 2009, 22:07   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
This is what I expected. The chap who came to familiarize me with the vehicle didn't know the difference between the brake master cylinder and clutch fluid reservoir. I suspect that either the alternator belt is loose or there is some other issue with the connections. I will get this checked soon and update this thread.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Quite an entertainment to know about the brake M.C. getting mixed up. The guy may have only known two wheelers of 100- 125 cc capacity as even the Pulsar 150 with front discs, has a brake M.C.
I also faced a similar problem with the immobiliser code.
Firstly whether the LX has an immobiliser. They were not aware. Finally the answer was YES.
Then the factory code needed to be changed to make the SUV less vulnerable to thefts. They again were not aware. Finally with lots of queries and also inputs from fellow bhpians it was learnt that the Refreshed Scorpio has unique codes for each different machine and that can't and need not be changed.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:21   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Anjan,
Congratulations for your beautiful mHawk and an amazing account.

I purchased an LX mHawk recently and went through almost exact experiences. Mine is in the same shade and now looks almost like yours with the same original wheel caps.

I have a query. When I start my Scorpio in the morning, without pressing the accelerator, all the lights in the dashboard go off except the battery low charging warning light. It goes off only after I press the accelerator paddle a little. This happens only on cold engine and doesn't happen when I start the car in the day time. Do you also see this happen in your car (or did you also experience this earlier)? I asked the M&M representative who claimed that this is normal behavior for the MHawk engine. I am a bit skeptical about this claim.

If others on the form can enlighten me I will be indebted.
During the cold start glow plugs come in to picture which draw some current from battery , This behavior means that battery is not being charged fully.
@Hoope: Please check the alternator output voltage at idle , compare it with another mhawk and if there is any difference ask for a replacement of alternator under warranty. I think one more mHwack owner on the Scorpio problems / solutions thread had alternator problem to which I responded.
Please check that thread. If yours is from same batch most probably the problem will be same manufacturing defect.
Old 10th September 2009, 13:45   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
During the cold start glow plugs come in to picture which draw some current from battery , This behavior means that battery is not being charged fully.
@Hoope: Please check the alternator output voltage at idle, compare it with another mhawk and if there is any difference ask for a replacement of alternator under warranty. I think one more mHwack owner on the Scorpio problems / solutions thread had alternator problem to which I responded.
Please check that thread. If yours is from same batch most probably the problem will be same manufacturing defect.
Hello Amit,
I talked with the technician at Koncept Noida from where I bought the vehicle and he's asked to bring the vehicle over and get it checked. He suspects some loose wiring, perhaps on the battery, since the problem disappears after first start. I will update the thread with my finding tomorrow.
BTW, since mHawk has no glow plugs for initial heating what are the glow plugs you referred to?
Old 10th September 2009, 14:33   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Amit,
I talked with the technician at Koncept Noida from where I bought the vehicle and he's asked to bring the vehicle over and get it checked. He suspects some loose wiring, perhaps on the battery, since the problem disappears after first start. I will update the thread with my finding tomorrow.
BTW, since mHawk has no glow plugs for initial heating what are the glow plugs you referred to?
Are you sure there are no glow plug/coil or anything to heat in mHawck AFAIK all diesel engines have them including CRDe. Probably other owners can confirm.

anyway Well Since the problem always 'reappear' at cold start I suspect it is not loose wiring else it should be random or whenever there is a cranking due to sparking at the loose terminal.

If you are going to workshop ask them to measure the Alternator voltage in front of you it should be 14.3 V at idle RPM ( unless mHwack has some other output voltage value for alternator ). Whatever it is post the diagnosis and resolution on Scorpio problems / solution thread and discuss this further there.

Sorry anjan to hijack your thread
Old 10th September 2009, 19:28   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry anjan to hijack your thread
Come on Amit, lets continue discussing that -its something that Hoopoe is vexed with, so solutions are most WELCOME!!!
Old 10th September 2009, 20:55   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure there are no glow plug/coil or anything to heat in mHawck AFAIK all diesel engines have them including CRDe. Probably other owners can confirm.
Indeed there are no glowplugs/coils in the CRDe Scorpios!
Old 10th September 2009, 21:44   #356
Senior - BHPian

i think the mHawk has a glow plug, but i am not too sure.

every time we turn the key to ignition, the "glow plug" sign (as i call it!) comes on for 2 seconds, along with 'ABS check' & 'battery check'. the engine is supposed to be cranked only after the sign goes. so i think the mHawk has a glow plug.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:09   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Its definitely an alternator issue. I have the same issue as hoopie but at every start my battery light stays. Plus the battery light flickers on idle. Am heading back to my workshop this sunday to reconfirm. Shudder to leave me car there until its fixed. Suddenly wish i had gotten an innova.
Old 4th October 2009, 17:39   #358
Senior - BHPian

@anjan, any further updates on the ownership experience ? How's the monster doing?
Old 12th October 2009, 20:36   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
@anjan, any further updates on the ownership experience ? How's the monster doing?
sdp1975 the Scorpio is its duties very well and gives me all the pleasure behind the wheel. It drive is like new after the first service.
Had a nasty but small dent the other day. I was at my usual 50 kmph and on the two lane clear city road, with a central road divider acting as the "kabab mein hadddi". A truck-mounted water tanker was moving @ 30kmph or less adjacent to the road divider in my direction. Now I could'nt do 30 kmph and follow the tanker, no one on a Scorpio would like to move at that speed ( akin to a Bajaj RE autorickshaw) on a near empty road! So I decided to overtake the truck from its left. A ramshackle Zen was moving sluggishly on this left lane I switched over to and with my calculations, I would have overtaken the Tata truck carrying water and again taken my lane very near the road divider (now occupied by the Tata truck) after overtaking, ahead of the Tata. To save the Zen from getting hit, I swerved my SUV to the right, just after overtaking the Tata truck.And then the tragedy- the rear right of my SUV very lightly hit the left bumper of the ghostly Tata truck. There was a small thud but when I stopped my SUV at a distance later, the minor dent made me too sad.The solace was that it could have been a major one had things mismatched to a greater degree.
The Scorpio otherwise I am sure is the best VFM SUV in our market today. With just a little care and following the normal SUV safety norms nothing can beat a Scorpio!
Old 12th October 2009, 20:48   #360
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

anup when i switch on the crde scorp every day there is a small yellow light burning on the instrument console - top right side. once that goes off only do I start the car - as per the manual.
the same type of thing I used to do on my Bolero.
On earlier gen Mahindras there was a manual heater which one used to press and then after a few seconds, start the jeep.

If this is not a glow plug/ coil then what is it?
because as far as I know, it serves the same purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Indeed there are no glowplugs/coils in the CRDe Scorpios!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks