Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2009, 08:44   #361
BANNED

+1 to that. The CRDe does have glowplugs and it is that very light which goes off after a few seconds post which it is recommended to start the vehicle. In fact, the new Safari 2.2 also has them so I m pretty sure that the MHawk too will have them.
Old 13th October 2009, 08:59   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
sdp1975 the Scorpio is its duties very well and gives me all the pleasure behind the wheel. It drive is like new after the first service.
Had a nasty but small dent the other day.
sad to hear about the dent buddy. but as you said, with a bit more miscalculation, things could have been worse.

happy motoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
+1 to that. The CRDe does have glowplugs and it is that very light which goes off after a few seconds post which it is recommended to start the vehicle. In fact, the new Safari 2.2 also has them so I m pretty sure that the MHawk too will have them.
yes, both the CRDe & the mHAWK has glowplugs. the non CRDe dint have them.
Old 13th October 2009, 14:31   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
sad to hear about the dent buddy. but as you said, with a bit more miscalculation, things could have been worse.

happy motoring.
Thanks Raj for the kind words- I have henceforth tried to be more patient and defensive while being seated behind the wheel. Will soon post a picture of the small dent.
Old 13th October 2009, 18:03   #364
Senior - BHPian

anjan and other scorpers, how's the Scorpio maintenance on the wallet ? I visited a Scorpio dealer in B'lore, and he gave me the service schedule for the Mhawk.

The service is every 4 months/5000 km as per the sheet, the cost varying between 2.5 K to 9K.

Is the 4 month service schedule as per the company booklet - or is it the "dealer" recommended schedule ? I thought that the Scorp was easy to maintain on the wallet, but a 4 month/5000km service interval will definitely put the servicing costs on the higher side.

I will try to scan the sheet and upload a copy today.
Old 13th October 2009, 18:10   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
anjan and other scorpers, how's the Scorpio maintenance on the wallet ? I visited a Scorpio dealer in B'lore, and he gave me the service schedule for the Mhawk.

The service is every 4 months/5000 km as per the sheet, the cost varying between 2.5 K to 9K.

Is the 4 month service schedule as per the company booklet - or is it the "dealer" recommended schedule ? I thought that the Scorp was easy to maintain on the wallet, but a 4 month/5000km service interval will definitely put the servicing costs on the higher side.

Lighter or heavier is comparative I hope you are comparing it with Vehicle of same weight / power /class and not a small hatch.

Frankly speaking there is no reason for service to be 4 months / 5000 KM for initial period and there after 10 -15 K km.

Only thing is that a forced visit to garage every 4 months ensure that all small niggles / squeeks / potential problems are solved and customer remains happy and vouch that vehicle is bullet proof, Later 2years down the line as the vehicle grows old customers learn to live with vehicle do not loose sleep on small non-serious issues specially when warranty is out.

So you see this is good arrangement for dealer and keeps customers happy, but yes a little pocket unfriendly then absolutely required.

EDIT : I am not a Sorper just my own views you may discount them if you like
Old 13th October 2009, 18:14   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The four monthly service schedule or 5000 kms (whichever is earlier) is recommended by M&M.They offer only three free services till 12 months /15000 kms. Thereafter paid services! But there is a provision for service contract thereafter by paying some Rs 10000 for is it two more years?
No the Scorpio is not at all hard on the wallet as compared to its competitors. I paid Rs 2K for oil changes (engine, gear,rear differential)during the 1st service.A single handed ownership with due care is all that it needs to be trouble free.
Old 13th October 2009, 19:00   #367
Senior - BHPian

Here's the scanned copy of the costs.

Don't want to start a scorpio vs others war, but the 4 months interval surprised me a bit. I've never seen anything less than 6 months for a service interval.

Correct me if I'm wrong - doesn't the safari come with a 15,000 km/1 yr interval ?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scan1.bmp (493.2 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by sdp1975 : 13th October 2009 at 19:04.
Old 13th October 2009, 19:15   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the scanned copy of the costs.

Don't want to start a scorpio vs others war, but the 4 months interval surprised me a bit. I've never seen anything less than 6 months for a service interval.

Correct me if I'm wrong - doesn't the safari come with a 15,000 km/1 yr interval ?
I think there is not much difference now , I dont think M&M insists for oil change every 5 K , It should be 15K owners can verify this.

Safari 2.2 interval were 1.5K , 15K , 30K , 45K and one more in 4 years.
1st service cost is 0.
2nd Service 15K = 1800 Rs Oil + 161 Rs Filter + fuel filter for 2000 Rs approx total 4000 Rs for consumables in 15K or one year whichever is earlier.

Also they were organizing free checkup camps every 6 months or so.

This year June they have introduced 2nd service at 5 K where consumables = 0 it is just top up of fluids and general checkup ( same as free checkup camp earlier) but customer can go anytime.

The problem with 15K schedule is that people ( specially T-BHP members ) are under psychological pressure to treat the car well and anyway do vol entry change not believing manufacturer that Oil can last 15K.
Also driving on rough road which is given for SUV requires tightening of bolts,hinges and oiling in 6 months so they shifted to intermediate 5K , 10K service till 15K like M&M.

No one likes minor issues in 1st year of ownership so reduced service interval is more satisfying for most of the customers and possibly thats why they changed to give same perceived bullet proof service

But warranty is 2+ 2 years and 4 year of ownership is covered which is same as in M&M as well.

Last edited by amitk26 : 13th October 2009 at 19:34.
Old 13th October 2009, 19:20   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If this is not a glow plug/ coil then what is it?
because as far as I know, it serves the same purpose.
I had specially telephoned Mr. K. K. Chauhan, G. M. Works, at Sri Durga in Delhi to ask about this.
He assured me the CRDe Scorpios have no glow plugs.

Anyone know for sure? Strange that we keep on debating this issue! We need to know once and for all!
Old 13th October 2009, 19:32   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I had specially telephoned Mr. K. K. Chauhan, G. M. Works, at Sri Durga in Delhi to ask about this.

Anyone know for sure? Strange that we keep on debating this issue! We need to know once and for all!
OK I did some search yes there is no glow plug but the functionality is there. Fuel pump in CRDe and mHwack is also doing the job of heating instead of a discreet coil.

I do not know if it is good or bad , One component less possibly more reliable as well, but costlier one to replace if something goes bust ever

So still you see that orange light and indeed current is drawn from battery for heating before start.
Old 13th October 2009, 20:27   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
OK I did some search yes there is no glow plug but the functionality is there. Fuel pump in CRDe and mHwack is also doing the job of heating instead of a discreet coil.
This is interesting!
Could you post some more details of this please? Or the source of this info?
Old 13th October 2009, 22:26   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

hi buddy, the service intervals of the scorpio is on par with its rivals. the 5000 kms visit is just a routine check up where they just check all nuts and bolts & top up fluids if necessary.
Old 14th October 2009, 09:23   #373
BHPian

Interesting point about the 4 months service interval. As a prospective customer even I was not aware of this , but then thats the reason I haunt the Scorp threads here. I believe it can be stretched to 6 months without any problems , but if the vehicle is extremely high mileage it may be better to stick to the 4 months. Frankly 8k / 6 months is what I am comfortable with.

On another note ; guys I read that service scan that has been uploaded. My limited car knowledge tells me the differential oil is something that would be there in the Scorpio as its a RWD. But whats with the clutch oil ? I never heard of this - apparently this is different from the gear oil ?
Old 14th October 2009, 09:27   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
... But whats with the clutch oil ? I never heard of this - apparently this is different from the gear oil ?
It's being referred to as clutch oil; it is actually the the oil used in the clutch actuating system. The clutch is hydraulically operated.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:09   #375
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

will be a good idea to check with Mr Behram
also - in my Bolero XD3PU I once had to change that glow plug - because it had died. Cost me about 1800 Bucks in 2006 as I remember.

In the Scorp so far - I am pretty sure the heating function is done when the vehicle is switched on and the yellow lamp glows. When done, usually in 5-6 seconds, it goes off and then one starts the vehicle.

but as you said, we need to know once and for all to set this at rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

Most Viewed