Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2011, 20:37   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Today my car crossed 40,000 kms! 2 years 7 months of sheer driving pleasure.

I guess modern Hyundais really have evolved into a different, Jap-car like league of build quality.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the car, and can't wait to get another 40K kms under the belt.
Congrats on crossing the 40K milestone predatorwheelz. Well said about the modern Hyundais being as good as Toyotas and Hondas. How about posting some pics of your ride?
Old 21st May 2011, 21:07   #152
Senior - BHPian

re: My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15

Quote:
Congratulations on reaching the 40K milestone. The almost troublefree ownership that you had till date gives good confidence in the Verna

Quote:
The clutch feels easy as new, the gears shift well, the power windows don't creak when they go up (cue - any 3 year/40K old Tata car with power windows), the switches/wipers/door locks function normally and don't feel like they'll fall off (cue - the same example again). I guess modern Hyundais really have evolved into a different, Jap-car like league of build quality.
I don't doubt about the quality of Hyundai. However would like to differ about your comments on Tata car. Since I own an Indica for almost 7 years now, done 92+ K kms, I can say with confidence that Tata cars too can serve you well if maintained properly. My power windows don't creak, car still on OEM clutch, all switches/wipers/door locks still intact (touchwood). I can only hear now some minor creaks from the suspension, guess the struts are due for replacement.

Quote:
Overall I'm extremely happy with the car, and can't wait to get another 40K kms under the belt.
Wishing you many more happy (s)miles with your car & eagerly waiting for your 80K report.

Quote:
@AutoIndian - Only one service (36K) since the last update at 29.5K kms. Give me a few weeks till I take it for the next service, and then I'll upload both service bills together.
Thanks for remembering that. Looking forward to go through your bills.
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:43   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
How about posting some pics of your ride?
Go to page 2 of this thread if you want pics of the car specifically. Besides, the whole thread is littered with pics - Service parts, engine oil, ORVM glitches, tyres! Take your pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I don't doubt about the quality of Hyundai. However would like to differ about your comments on Tata car. Since I own an Indica for almost 7 years now, done 92+ K kms, I can say with confidence that Tata cars too can serve you well if maintained properly. My power windows don't creak, car still on OEM clutch, all switches/wipers/door locks still intact (touchwood). I can only hear now some minor creaks from the suspension, guess the struts are due for replacement.
Incidentally I own a 7 year old Tata car too. A 2004 Indica DLS to be specific. Will not get into how much trouble it has caused me. Just find out my other ownership thread and read through it
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 10:51   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Missed out on commenting here earlier, but you deserve a round of hearty congratulations for maintaining your car so meticulously over 40k km, esp. in the congested traffic of Kolkata. At 40k km in 1 year & 7 months on my car, I've got more dings and scratches than your Predator, and that too without any effort on my part! So keep driving, and do that NH2 trip this year.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 19:38   #155
Senior - BHPian

[quote=predatorwheelz;2360623]Today my car crossed 40,000 kms! 2 years 7 months of sheer driving pleasure.

Congrats to you for completing 40000kms.
Saw your new tyres Yokohama looks good.
I have always been with bridgestone so never knew how other tyres do.
Regular service is the key to good maintenance.
Not to boast about my car I completed 126000 still it is like a new as I had
purchased.
Have you any pictures of Chandipur one of my best low tide beaches in India.
Old 27th September 2011, 18:12   #156
Senior - BHPian

3 years, 44,500 kms

Today Predator completes exactly 3 years from the date it rolled out of the showroom. It has done exactly 15K kms since its last birthday. The experience has been largely stress free, though the first large service bill was encountered in August (more on that later). Lets get through with a chronological explanation since the last birthday:

In the last week of December 2010, the car went for the Great East Coast Drive. My family was a little hesistant as it was just my wife and I. But the car served flawlessly throughout the trip. More details of the trip can be found here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-2300-kms.html

We came back from the drive on 1st January 2011. 3 weeks passed but I didn't take it for service. Though I had to go out of Kolkata twice in the interim, but to be truthful I was also procrastinating a little!

On 23rd January I was returning from a Bombay trip. It was a late night flight and a Sunday, So I'd asked Dad to pick me up from the airport. He left the house well in time for the flight. Unfortunately, just as he was turning left on to the main road, a Government bus side-swiped Predator from the right and disappeared! The front RHS fender was damaged, as was the paint on the RHS front bumper. Thankfully the damage wasn't under the skin, and dad was able to pick me up from the airport and go back home.

As a result of the accident, Predator finally made a visit to the showroom (nearly 9K kms since the last service) the next day. Here are pics of the service workorder and bill. Note that the engine oil (Mobil Delvac MX) was bought by me from outside, so it doesn't appear in the bill.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-6th-service-workorder.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-6th-service-bill-001.jpg

Accident repair workorder and bill:

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-accident-repair-order.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-accident-repair-bill.jpg

2 salient points about this service. The bass horn was again giving problems (going completely silent sometimes), which they tuned. The service guys also warned me that the rear disk pads were on their last legs and should be changed during the next service. Alas, I should have paid heed to this advice sooner!

After this the car ran flawlessly till May 2011, when it completed 40K kms and I put up and update. In June 2011 a small altercation with a concrete pillar left the LHS mirror looking like this:

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-18062011088.jpg

Here I again got proof that HASS, unlike some other companies, does not want to fleece you everytime I go with a problem. I took the car to Spring. They found out that while the glass was broken, the motor inside was working perfectly. So instead of changing the LHS mirror assembly (which costs 3K plus) they suggested I change the glass only (which was just 180 bucks). It was one of those instances when you go expecting a financial jack, and come back surprised . Naturally I chose the latter, and the mirror is working perfectly till date.

In August 2011 a Shantiniketan trip with my in laws and their extended families was planned. 2 cars - Predator and my FIL's trusted Qualis RS. 10 people - 5 in each car plus loads of luggage.

By this time Predator was already on 42.7K kms. I gave a thought to changing the rear pads before we leave, but since Shantiniketan was only 205 kms away, decided to give it a miss.

Bad decision. The roads in West Bengal have been washed away in the monsoon, and repairing them certainly isn't on the agenda of Didi and her new government! NH2 is privately maintained and smooth as a billiard table. But first on Kona expressway and later on the SH between Panagarh and Bolpur - which, believe me, is completely gone - a fully loaded Predator groaned its way through. I could realize that the brakes were taking a lot of load. It took us 5 hours to reach, contrary to 2.5 hrs it took last year in September! By that time, there was a clanging sound from the underbody everytime the brakes were pressed.

The next day I looked around for repairs in Shantiniketan. Unfortunately there is no HASS there, and I didn't find a shop selling Hyundai Genuine parts. Called up my service advisor, who suggested rather than fitting spurious parts I should come back to Kolkata and get it done here itself.

Bad decision again. While coming back we chose to take the Burdwan-Guskara route. Saved us 30 kms, but the village roads were flooded and broken. The clanging sound kept getting worse and worse. I was glad to make it back to Kolkata in one piece.

The very next day I decided to give it for a service. Didn't have time to go and buy MDMX this time, and certainly wanted the brakes sorted out before driving it any more.

The check-up was a shocker. The rear brake pads were gone. So were the front pads (which had been changed at 27K kms) and the front discs. I guess driving a fully loaded car over highways and bad roads over the trip had put a strain on the front brake set, which was the only good set anyway!

The total service bill came to 12K. Beside the brake setup, other items included engine oil, the regular set of filters and a coolant change. The advisor also talked me into getting the silencer box anti-rust coating done. I forced them to change the bass horn (which was again giving problems) and not charge me for it.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-7th-service-workorder.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-7th-service-bill.jpg

That is it for now. I'm looking forward to completing 50K very soon. Will keep you guys updated.
predatorwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 14:13   #157
Senior - BHPian

Predator gets new Bosch wipers

The OEM wipers were showing no signs of ageing. No streaks, no creaks. Thought of changing them never struck me.

Monday evening I came out of office to find the car's windshield splattered in mud. "Its parked on the roadside, hota hai" I tell myself. Turn on the water jet and the wipers start rolling. To much shock, I discover that a portion of the rubber on the RHS wiper has detached itself and hanging, leaving the hard inner rubber to groan and streak across the windshield.

Closer inspection reveals that the thin rubber strip has been peeled off quite neatly from the inner rubber, something a moron with a sharp object may do. Here's a pic.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-sdc12571.jpg

And so the search for new wipers began. First call to HASS, who told me a new set of OEM wipers is for 1200!!!. IMO that was too much. Next logical choice was Bosch wipers. Called up ShuvC, who has been using Bosch wipers on his Baleno for more than 3 years. He gave me good reviews of Bosch wipers and pointed me to a dealer in Salt Lake. Ultimately I bought a set for Rs 320 from the Kolkata Distributor of Bosch Products.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-sdc12570.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-sdc12573.jpg

Light, easy to self-install. Made more easy by this excellent post from Johy:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ial-guide.html

When I held them side by side, the Bosch wipers didn't feel as solid or well built as the OEM Verna wipers. But considering they come for 25pct of the latter's price, I'm not complaining . Initial reviews are they're silent and leave no marks. Lets see how they hold up in the long run.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-sdc12574.jpg

Edit - Stay tuned. 50K update and service details coming soon.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 8th March 2012 at 14:29. Reason: Added subscriber interest towards forthcoming attractions:)
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 23:00   #158
Senior - BHPian

50,000 kms and the resultant service

Quote:
Stay tuned. 50K update and service details coming soon.
The car touched the landmark of 50,000 kms on 18th March 2012.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-50k-kms.jpg

A service was long due, since the last one had been at 43K kms, in August 2011. The AC was not cooling to its usual standards, especially in the sweltering summer of Kolkata. Also, I thought of getting the suspension checked, considering how much punishment I've put the car through over these 50K kms.

So here was my checklist to the service advisor:

1. Regular Service (I bought Mobil Delvac MX separately)
2. AC servicing
3. Suspension Check

To that list was added one more item, the first mechanical fault in this car. The coolant hose was found leaking at the joint where the liquid flows into the engine. This meant the hose, the joint as well as the mechanical part where the coolant was overflowing needed to be repaired.

The service advisor insisted on the brakes and gear oil checked as well. I didn't mind. The cost for brake checking and cleaning was 350 bucks, peanuts to keep the most vital part of the car in shape.

Was given an estimate of Rs 9K, which was in line with the Rs 10K I had budgeted for the 50K service.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-scan0001.jpg

At the end of the day, Spring Hyundai threw a surprise at me. The total cost came to just Rs 6.4K. Of this more than 3K was attributable only to the AC servicing.

The SA left me with 2 bits of advice. Firstly, the suspension is still fine, though they found the ball joints and tie rod had weakened, and would require replacement in another 15-20K kms. Fair enough I think, given the current state of Kolkata roads.

Second, he felt the clutch had hardened up a bit, and might require an inspection at the next service. I denied that, saying I've felt no perceptible difference in everyday driving. I feel this car's clutch is good enough to run another 50K kms!

To sum up, the satisfaction parade continues. Its obvious that mechanical snags will crop up in a car as it gets older. But with this kind of service backing, I'm assured of another 50K kms of smiles. And of course, many more long drives!!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-scan0002.jpg  

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-scan0003.jpg  

predatorwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 13:13   #159
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - Update at 3 years, 44,500 k

Great going predatorwheelz. Pleasant surprises like this one with lower than expected bill are always welcome. Wishing you many more happy (s)miles with your car in the years to come.

You being a TBHPian, I am sure you would be taking great care of your car. After 109K on my car I am still on factory fitted suspension & original clutch (touchwood). So you can easily stretch you clutch & suspension till 100K. All the best
Old 31st March 2012, 13:21   #160
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - Update at 3 years, 44,500 k

PW
Congrats on reaching the 50k mark.

Do you put the whole 5.3 L or just a 5L can of Delvac MX ?

What is a clutch cleaner ?
Old 31st March 2012, 16:36   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Great going predatorwheelz. Pleasant surprises like this one with lower than expected bill are always welcome. Wishing you many more happy (s)miles with your car in the years to come.

You being a TBHPian, I am sure you would be taking great care of your car. After 109K on my car I am still on factory fitted suspension & original clutch (touchwood). So you can easily stretch you clutch & suspension till 100K. All the best
Thank you AutoIndian. My heartfelt appreciation to you for diligently following my thread. Lets hope this story continues happily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
PW
Congrats on reaching the 50k mark.

Do you put the whole 5.3 L or just a 5L can of Delvac MX ?
Thank you boss. I bought one 5L and one 1L bottle of MDMX. The 5L was fully emptied, then 300ml out of the 1L was emptied and the balance returned to me. This is their usual practice. Next 2 services I'll only need to buy a 5L can, balance 300ml will go out of the existing 1L bottle.

Quote:
What is a clutch cleaner ?
Where did I mention a clutch cleaner?

Quote:
Second, he felt the clutch had hardened up a bit, and might require an inspection at the next service. I denied that, saying I've felt no perceptible difference in everyday driving. I feel this car's clutch is good enough to run another 50K kms!
Old 31st March 2012, 22:55   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where did I mention a clutch cleaner?
Third item on the bill. Brake and clutch cleaner.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 12:20   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Third item on the bill. Brake and clutch cleaner.
Good question. Thanks for pointing this out. I had ignored this item while going through the bill, but your question made me call up the HASS advisor and enquire.

Apparently the brake and clutch cleaner is a spray fluid which cleans and degreases brake and clutch parts. Something like this:

Halfords | Wynn's Brake & Clutch Cleaner 500ml

While the purpose of the liquid is clear, why I was charged for a whole bottle (especially when only the brakes were serviced, clutch wasn't even opened) is not clear. Still, not an issue worth fighting for.
Old 15th April 2012, 14:21   #164
Senior - BHPian

The car's a highway star!

Recently made a weekend trip to Shantiniketan. The Panagarh-Ilambazar stretch has been completely repaired, so round trips are a pleasure once again. Despite leaving in the afternoon and bearing the brunt of city traffic in both Kolkata and Bolpur, our trip took just 3 hours - point to point.

While coming back we drove into a huge thunderstorm on NH2, 70 kms before Kolkata. Was driving at 120-130kmph then. It was 5 in the evening but dark as hell. Sheet after sheet of rain lashed on to the car, and the crosswinds were strong enough to veer the car on to the next lane. Now any highway driver knows these things are a walk in the park for modern cars. We were travelling in complete comfort, the new Bosch wipers doing their job adequately, and slight steering corrections enough to arrest the veering (due to crosswind) without needing to reduce speed. My wife and I were hence quite at peace.

A couple was travelling with us for whom it was the first highway trip. From the very start the husband had been passing little comments about my speeds being too high for comfort. When we were driving through the storm, his face looked like he was being administered a colonoscopy. Thankfully his wife was a sport, and any comment from him was being snubbed before it got to my head.

We completed the trip comfortably. Today the guy called up saying he loved it and wants to do a longer road trip soon! I guess that's the magic of road trips.

__________________________________________________ _______________

The last highway trip got me thinking. In the 3.5 years Predator has been taken on the highway countless times. Of the 51K kms it is on now, around 9K is highway alone. If I leave out trips made on work, or same day outings (example - leave in the morning, have lunch at SEP Kolaghat and come back) I can recollect 8 trips:

1. 3 round trips to Shantiniketan (no travelogues)

2. Garpanchkot trip

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-weekend.html

3. Puri trip

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...al-orissa.html

4. Durgapur and Maithan (no travelogues)

5. Great East Coast Drive

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-2300-kms.html

6. Bandel

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...tle-known.html

__________________________________________________ _______________

And here are some pics of Predator in unusual surroundings, where you don't expect to see a city slicker car:

1. 20th June 2009. In front of an ancient temple on Garpanchkot hillock.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-20-06-2009.jpg

2. Same day. On Panchet dam, which forms the WB-Jharkhand border

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-20-06-2009-2.jpg

3. 28th October 2009. At Satpada Cyclone relief centre (Orissa), which now forms the starting point/ticket counter of a boat tour on Chilka lake.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-28-10-2009.jpg

4. Same day. Only car in a sea of MUVs beside Chilka lake. This pic was taken from a boat.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-28-10-2009-2.jpg

5. 17th January 2010. This picturesque bungalow is my uncle's, who is with SAIL Durgapur.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-17-01-2010.jpg

6. 25th July 2010, taken beside the NH2 at Shaktigarh. Can't recollect where I was headed :(

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-25-07-2010.jpg

7. 27th December 2010. This pic was taken on NH5, about 150 kms shy of Vizag. We had driven 500 kms already and decided to stop for a smoke.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-27-12-2010.jpg

8. The very next day, parked at the APTDC Rushikonda beach resort at Vizag.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-28-12-2010.jpg

9.15th January 2012. Predator taking a detour through a village road enroute to Garchumuk near Uluberia in WB.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-15-01-2012.jpg
predatorwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:35   #165
Senior - BHPian

Re: The car's a highway star!

Quote:
And here are some pics of Predator in unusual surroundings, where you don't expect to see a city slicker car:
Some nice snaps those. The Verna looks great against all those unusal backdrops. You remind me of myself as I do the same thing of photographing my car against different background and locations during every long drive.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed