Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Yep. Never take your eyes off the road. Never. Commiserations for the damage. On the positive side, the financial damage is pretty light and the dude was a sport, so...

Quick thinking on your part to reverse your car out of his way. I shudder to think what would have happened if he ploughed straight onto your door. Catastrophic!
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:31   #47
BHPian

Sorry to hear about mishap. At least, that guy looks to be decent as he not only accepted to pay the damages but also committing to his words now. Did you do the math on how much yo loose on NCB if you claim now for 6 or 7K? Shouldn't you get that paid from that guy??

On a lighter note - from all your previous posts i can assume that you live in a typical accident prone city!!!
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I shudder to think what would have happened if he ploughed straight onto your door. Catastrophic!
Err, no, I wasnt that far forward. But yes, had I not reversed, he would have hit the side fender and caused some mechanical damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinivasap View Post
On a lighter note - from all your previous posts i can assume that you live in a typical accident prone city!!!
Heyy, that was below the belt!. But then from all my previous posts you must have also realized that none of the accidents were my fault!!!
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

That's bad!

Although it was good that he is footing the bill, what about the loss of NCB? Do you plan to claim this?

Anyway, travel safe.
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:31   #50
BHPian

Really unfortunate.

The guy is really decent it seems now that he has helped you with the damages
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:48   #51
BHPian

So sorry to hear that predatorwheelz.

Thankfully the total cost of damage repair wasn't that high,and you are definitely a lucky bloke to get somebody pay for his own fault.

It really pains when ones babe gets hurt,and that too without ones own fault.
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your buy..
sad to hear about the accident.
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Its sad to see how drivers take their eyes off the road either to fiddle with music systems,take cellphone calls etc.There should be a strict code and law for this.
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

You're one lucky chap that this did not happen in the developed world. First the guy would have simply pressed charges against you for not having yielded to him driving out of the parking spot.

Especially in US, if you hit someone, or someone else hits you while you are driving out of your parking spot, its your fault. Reason, you should check if the road is clear, then only pull out.

However, this is India, and the poor guy doesn't know!!

In the end its sad to know about your case, lets hope a speedy recovery for your car and you (from your mental agony).
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:28   #55
BHPian

predator.. sorry to hear about u'r car... rather unfortunate these kind of things... at least the damage is limited to the bumper... make sure that nothing else has been messed up. take care man...
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

As for the Indica owner, everyone in my family told me that I should have seized his DL or car reg papers yesterday, so that he doesnt just run away after the incident and shirk responsibility. Luckily, he turned out to be a sport. Not only did he pick up my calls today, he agreed to pay the difference amount as well once I showed him the bill. We are due to meet this Friday.
First off all its very sad incident. Generally we all try to keep cars scratch free and whensome irresponsible person damages our car, it hurts.

1) I dont think any citizen has any rights to seize DL or car reg papers. Rather call Police for further work. Seizing somebody's DL ro papers can put one in trouble. Even if its not you fault, it can go in negative/wrong direction for you.

2) Look at this incident with some positive note : He gave his phone number, picked up calls, was ready to pay the differential amount and ACCEPTED HIS MISTAKE.

Look at others on the road, most of the people make errors, blame others and usually are bullies who can reach to any level for proving themselves correct. They are never wrong.
But I am surprised by this man's behavior. He is acting like a good citizen and I appreciate this fact.
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:45   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
A sad upgrade to my ownership thread
Ouch, AS, so sorry to hear that. Hope to meet you and your brand new bumper in approx. 10 days' time!

@ shrinivasap: Yes, Calcutta's pretty accident-prone! But if you survive without dents and scratches in that city for a one-month period, you deserve a drivers' Nobel prize... I learnt to drive in that city too, and I am naturally proud of my driving skills as a result.

@ 1100D: I liked the way you put it to predatorwheelz... A little salt, a pinch of chilli powder, a quick rub with the sandpaper... After all, the gent in the Indica WAS in the parking lot, with a speed restriction of 15-20 km/h, and he was liable for overspeeding too!
Old 23rd April 2009, 00:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hello. Had missed this thread. Congrats on the new car and try not to bother about the incident. The ownership experience of a car you love makes up for it.
Missed the last meet. Hope to see you soon.
A long shot - but where you by any chance driving on NH-2 on the evening of this Good Friday?
Old 23rd April 2009, 00:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to sound cynical/depressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
You're one lucky chap that this did not happen in the developed world. First the guy would have simply pressed charges against you for not having yielded to him driving out of the parking spot.

Especially in US, if you hit someone, or someone else hits you while you are driving out of your parking spot, its your fault. Reason, you should check if the road is clear, then only pull out.

However, this is India, and the poor guy doesn't know!!

In the end its sad to know about your case, lets hope a speedy recovery for your car and you (from your mental agony).
Thank you Anirbanda, I thank god that this isnt the developed world. And in the developed world, what punishment do they hand out to a person who adjusts his music system while driving? A confiscation of the license, right? So maybe he's lucky too that this isnt the "developed" world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) I dont think any citizen has any rights to seize DL or car reg papers. Rather call Police for further work. Seizing somebody's DL ro papers can put one in trouble. Even if its not you fault, it can go in negative/wrong direction for you.

2) Look at this incident with some positive note : He gave his phone number, picked up calls, was ready to pay the differential amount and ACCEPTED HIS MISTAKE.

Look at others on the road, most of the people make errors, blame others and usually are bullies who can reach to any level for proving themselves correct. They are never wrong.
But I am surprised by this man's behavior. He is acting like a good citizen and I appreciate this fact.
I appreciate the fact too that he accepted his mistake and acted like a genteman. And you would note that I was only told to confiscate his DL or papers. I actually did nothing like this.

And I would like to remind you 2 gentlemen that its easy to act philosophical/rational when somebody else's car is involved. Its only when your car gets banged (for no fault of yours) that a mixture of anguish and financial sense (who's going to pay for the damage?) comes to mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Ouch, AS, so sorry to hear that. Hope to meet you and your brand new bumper in approx. 10 days' time!
I'm looking forward to meeting you Doc. Been a long time that we talked. In the last Kolkata meet, even ADC was asking about you. Do give a call as soon as you land (or drive into) the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Hello. Had missed this thread. Congrats on the new car and try not to bother about the incident. The ownership experience of a car you love makes up for it.
Missed the last meet. Hope to see you soon.
A long shot - but where you by any chance driving on NH-2 on the evening of this Good Friday?
Thank You ShuvC. I was looking forward to meeting you too.

This Good Friday I had only driven to a relative's house in Ballygunge, and back to Salt Lake. So dont think the car you saw on NH2 was mine.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 01:50   #60
BHPian

Nice looking car, dont like the alloys though, sorry man...

Most Viewed